SaltCritters.com

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

HarryPotter
2 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Really looking nice! Do you think you will transfer any of these to the 300?

Yes as well as lots and lots of frags once it gets going! Will put multiple frags of the same type close to each other to get it going more quickly and not as "stringy" as many home grown colonies 🙂 

mitten_reef
20 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Grown from frag- still ugly, but super fast grower!

rTMmzGp.jpg

Its a BIT crowded in here -_- 

5XyfUGq.jpg

Wow, neglected or not, this 350 has filled in really nicely now.  You need to do full photo document before you turned it into the frag tank for the 300G.  

Will the 300G be primarily SPS?  or still trying to have decent mix in there like this one?  

HarryPotter
14 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Wow, neglected or not, this 350 has filled in really nicely now.  You need to do full photo document before you turned it into the frag tank for the 300G.  

Will the 300G be primarily SPS?  or still trying to have decent mix in there like this one?  

I think mainly SPS with LPS low down, like this one. My tank is still going to be a  “show tank”, just gonna harvest a bunch of small branches to create a nice strong base for colonies in the 300.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Lil-tank looks good: sand is pretty darn clean. A few weeks ago I was debating chemiclean, but I guess it balanced itself out. The RTN on the red planet base (due to being stung by shrooms) seems to have stopped, but I’ll keep an eye on it. 

2MjXKgt.jpg

It has been a week but the 300 is just about filled. Blue bucket from DFS sale arriving tomorrow- I didn’t want to start the tank with RSCP because the alk would be way too high. 

Also have 100lbs reefcleaners coming, but I can always just drain some water if necessary. Debating whether it’s worth the 150gpd upgrade from BRS— I get like 40-50 gpd on my unit. For top off of doesn’t matter much, but for water changes it would be nice to fill it overnight. 

Wiring is still “rough”, I’m hitting some issues with cord length. Might need to mount the power supplies on the back of the stand rather than on the electronics board to get the distance I need 😞. I am confident that I could extend the wires safely, but that really would be a bummer on all of this nice equipment. 

HpYcJdh.jpg

• Like 3
tanacharison

I added the 150gpd upgrade and a booster pump. Best investment ever! I think I fill my 35 gallon brute in like 2 hours. I also don’t change the filters as much but that could just be in my head.

I also had the same issue and had to mount my power supplies half way between my tank and outlets. Everything it’s looking good. The sump is sexy looking!

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Kind of odd looking under ambient sunlight- red millipora. I’m surprised that the branch bottoms are brown looking!  Ignore the accidental frag 😞 

0dWB0hj.jpg

Vortech was looking nasty- I overdosed acropower a few days ago and am seeing the results now. 

4BFfdjV.jpg

Hey bud I was wondering what sand you went with in the 300 and what you had to pay for it. I am looking for the special grade reef sand .. I thought that crap was cheaper for some reason haha brs and marine depot have the live stuff for like 38 bucks for 20 pounds.. I found it on live aquaria for 24ish for 20 pounds I picked it up hoping it was a good deal.. just wondering if I'm not privy to a better site to buy sand....

HarryPotter
34 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Hey bud I was wondering what sand you went with in the 300 and what you had to pay for it. I am looking for the special grade reef sand .. I thought that crap was cheaper for some reason haha brs and marine depot have the live stuff for like 38 bucks for 20 pounds.. I found it on live aquaria for 24ish for 20 pounds I picked it up hoping it was a good deal.. just wondering if I'm not privy to a better site to buy sand....

I got the special grade drag-alive sand, also $24ish for 20lbs. Local store though. 

v4aCWT3.jpg

oTh9ly3.jpg

n5I0lrB.jpg

Z2hAOuB.jpg

FANtkQc.jpg

PzYsAtD.jpg

Bonus blurry sleepy puppy

92vMG0a.jpg

• Like 6
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

Too much growth, and resulting warfare. I took out the left structure to make another that is more acro friendly.  

k4E6lu7.jpg

VkW9F9a.jpg

At the rate I'm going, I might have to start saving up for a Harry's special frag box.  

• Like 1
HarryPotter
On 7/31/2018 at 9:35 AM, micoastreefing said:

At the rate I'm going, I might have to start saving up for a Harry's special frag box.  

The problem I’ve encountered with selling frag packs is that I make the corals themselves very cheap, like $15 for fully encrusted acros, but then the customer is put off by the $50 shipping. People don’t like when shipping is like 30% of the cost. I could probably sell more packs if I raised the coral price to around $40 😂.  In this hobby people think an inexpensive coral means that it’s “not worth much”. So when I am selling a $80 retail coral for $20, the buyer is put off by shipping. Sucks. 

• Like 3
mitten_reef
7 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

The problem I’ve encountered with selling frag packs is that I make the corals themselves very cheap, like $15 for fully encrusted acros, but then the customer is put off by the $50 shipping. People don’t like when shipping is like 30% of the cost. I could probably sell more packs if I raised the coral price to around $40 😂.  In this hobby people think an inexpensive coral means that it’s “not worth much”. So when I am selling a $80 retail coral for $20, the buyer is put off by shipping. Sucks. 

that's pretty flaw logic on other customers, and you need to up your marketing game 😛.  I buy from online retailers based on "per frag" costs to me at the end of the day.  So if your frag pack is $60 for 4 (Say @15 each), plus $50 shipping. it still comes in under $30 per frag.  Which, to me, is far better price than most LFS could offer for nice acros.  My hurdle is more about spending above triple-digit per transaction, cuz I'm cheap, haha. You just have to put a "starter pack" together where the nominal per-frag price become competitive, and point it out as such. 

• Like 1
HarryPotter
16 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

that's pretty flaw logic on other customers, and you need to up your marketing game 😛.  I buy from online retailers based on "per frag" costs to me at the end of the day.  So if your frag pack is $60 for 4 (Say @15 each), plus $50 shipping. it still comes in under $30 per frag.  Which, to me, is far better price than most LFS could offer for nice acros.  My hurdle is more about spending above triple-digit per transaction, cuz I'm cheap, haha. You just have to put a "starter pack" together where the nominal per-frag price become competitive, and point it out as such. 

Yeah, maybe if I marketed packs with a “shipped” price it would be more popular. 

Nudis are here!

pDgVRV9.jpg

• Like 5
HarryPotter
Just now, markalot said:

That is awesome.  What color is it? 

I was pointing out the PE- it’s yellow. Pretty much only yellow coral in the tank; it gets a ton of PAR. Around 6” diameter now 🙂 

HarryPotter

Got a battery backup set up and the apex coded for it. The blank EB832 is for the lighting, which will hopefully ship Monday. 

Wiring needs to be cleaned up again, but will really be finished when the lighting is here. 4 cables for bulbs, two for fans, two for LEDs. Or maybe I will connect the appropriate wiring from each fixture before the apex, halving the amount of outlets needed. I guess it depends on whether I want a left-right ramp up/down with the bulbs. Doesn’t matter much given the LEDs will be on a schedule. 

FTVNxxA.jpg

• Like 3
HarryPotter
9 hours ago, markalot said:

I've got the same UPS brand.  Nice, cheap, works.  The new APEX stuff looks goofy, is it all plastic now?

Yep! All plastic. The (IMO not needed) individual outlet monitoring is the only difference, along with a 24v port and some connections for their proprietary products.  Save money.... get a used EB8. 

1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

I did a thing on Friday. Gorgeous, and eats mysis like a monster!! A little, ~3”, powder blue tang. 

9mg8Go7.jpg

That's an awesome fish!! I have always wanted one.  

• Like 2
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350