Cultivated Reef

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

vortech

so i think all my new-ish additions (sps) are soaking up my vortech's output. on my im16 on full 100% constant flow the far side doesnt really move... but the near side will even suck down a cyclone from 5" from the surface. i am sure you have seen the vids of flow, just youtube the comparison vids (empty tanks with black backgrounds and white neutrally buoyant pellets).

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

so i think all my new-ish additions (sps) are soaking up my vortech's output. on my im16 on full 100% constant flow the far side doesnt really move... but the near side will even suck down a cyclone from 5" from the surface. i am sure you have seen the vids of flow, just youtube the comparison vids (empty tanks with black backgrounds and white neutrally buoyant pellets).

I haven't checked them out but I am loving the gyre..........your signature picture is the best by the way ?

• Like 2

That branching cyph is killer...I love those corals!

I have the Nyos too! Is that the 120? Such a fine piece of equipment...the thing runs silent and is very efficient. Looks great too! Love the style of their collection cup, so easy to clean.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

That branching cyph is killer...I love those corals!

I have the Nyos too! Is that the 120? Such a fine piece of equipment...the thing runs silent and is very efficient. Looks great too! Love the style of their collection cup, so easy to clean.

Ya, I've never seen one of those Cyphastrea before I visited Nick Tenny's tank in SLC and I was lovin it. He has a large piece that is really nice. Stoked to hear that about the Nyos- yes the 120. ?

Love the new photos, Scott!!! and I do not see algae :)

Thank you! Oh it's there ?
  • Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Here's a few shots from the weekend

New Ora green planet frag- fresh after the dip

r5VCKbU.jpg

QgTi2Nn.jpg

Corallimorph

x09O4jM.jpg

Added 10 little micro hermits to mill about

HRLJOHq.jpg

Ponape Birdsnest

jwu2F2V.jpg

Raspberry limeade Hyacinthus - getting some green on the tips and other side

1GHyc5I.jpg

Clowns coming out for an evening appearance before the lights go out

p3zulro.jpg

Grafted cap showing some good growth

MGfGYEY.jpg

X-mas mirabellis changing its color to more of a yellowish green at the base and parts of the body

q5dGn5v.jpg

Setosa from the front

fQnug4L.jpg

Shroom stinging my purple stylo

rUR9qAp.jpg

Pink stylo

ZuRatG4.jpg

Poor little mango tango monti fell forward into the Cyphastrea and got stung ?

gsOh3An.jpg

Branching Cyphastrea

lcxu5DQ.jpg

FTS

y9lX5rR.jpg

I2h9XjK.jpg

• Like 10

Beautiful pics Scott! I can't believe how quickly this tank settled in and looks mature and like you've had it for years. Your patience in the transfer definitely paid off. Awesome job!

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

Beautiful pics Scott! I can't believe how quickly this tank settled in and looks mature and like you've had it for years. Your patience in the transfer definitely paid off. Awesome job!

Thanks Dawn- I really appreciate that!

Sk8n Reefer

damn that Nyos is sexy. if that thing ever goes on sale, i may have to switch to that.

Yes sir, I can't wait to get it wet- been working to late during the week so it's gonna have to be on the weekend. I know I searched around and found it for just under 4 but my lfs sells them and his pricing is always inline with BRS and Marine depot and he cut me a deal on an acro frag so that made it alittle less painful. What skimmer you running now?

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

Shit! I haven't been here in a while, holy crap is your tank lookin' nice Scott! Still got my eye on that grafted cap, she's taking off nicely. All your cementing on that rockwork paid off, it looks good! You sure as hell have more pantience than me! Lol

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Shit! I haven't been here in a while, holy crap is your tank lookin' nice Scott! Still got my eye on that grafted cap, she's taking off nicely. All your cementing on that rockwork paid off, it looks good! You sure as hell have more pantience than me! Lol

? Thanks Marc! Ya it's been the longest transfer for sure. Still need to get my Tailspot over- he's in full hiding mode in a large rock so I am gonna have to pull it out to get him. I am stoked on the grafted cap it is a happy camper so far!

Sk8n Reefer

Clowns hosting my magnet ?

N1Fc7v6.jpg

Tough to get a good shot of my season's greetings but it's becoming a beautiful coral

ccFiYwk.jpg

All kinds of life going on this rock

WLHJma2.jpg

• Like 7
Sk8n Reefer

Silly clowns!

Yes they are but what ever keeps them out in the open ? They normally hide out in the back behind the purple stylo ?

• Like 1

Yes they are but what ever keeps them out in the open They normally hide out in the back behind the purple stylo

Ah, so from your perspective this is great!

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Ah, so from your perspective this is great!

Yes, a very good thing. They are getting to be a good size and it's nice to see them out and about. I just love the pattern on the picasso's ?I still need to get a fish that swims out in the open more and shows himself- that would be fun! Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Yes, a very good thing. They are getting to be a good size and it's nice to see them out and about. I just love the pattern on the picasso's ?I still need to get a fish that swims out in the open more and shows himself- that would be fun! Any suggestions?

Blue throat trigger....;-)
  • Like 1
sam_the_reefer

Yes, a very good thing. They are getting to be a good size and it's nice to see them out and about. I just love the pattern on the picasso's I still need to get a fish that swims out in the open more and shows himself- that would be fun! Any suggestions?

Firefish? Orange Balloon Molly :)?

• Like 1

Yes, a very good thing. They are getting to be a good size and it's nice to see them out and about. I just love the pattern on the picasso's I still need to get a fish that swims out in the open more and shows himself- that would be fun! Any suggestions?

My favorite fish was my Midas blenny. Although it is not an open water swimmer it came out and perched all the time and it definitely was not reclusive. Its bright yellow/orange color was nice too. My female lyretail anthias was an open water swimmer. Dave did not like her ...he said she looked like a common feeder goldfish, ha ha! She kind of did. And although there is a lot of damsel hate out there I always liked the little yellow tails. That blue is so striking and that specie aren't really all that aggressive. No more so than clownfish anyway.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Blue throat trigger....;-)

I do love triggers- all of them but the clown trigger is amazing to me. If I had a big ole tank like yours I'd probably have one ?

Sk8n Reefer

Clowns are sure pretty but very much not reef safe and super aggressive. I want a pair of crosshatches if I can get them at a reasonable price.

Yup- pretty much have to dedicate a tank to them - they are little bastards even when young. My buddy had one for a few years and it would destroy anything he put in there

Firefish? Orange Balloon Molly :)?

Firefish are cool- I like the darker Molly's too ? And they are good algae eaters