ReefCleaners.org

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

Are all fish accounted for? no new cleaners being used in the area?

I would think the GFO may help with no skimmer, its not like you went super low nutrient over night. And obviously there were nutrients as there is cyano now.

Makes me think that it was something else causing the STN.

test your RO water, could have been contaminated with something.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Are all fish accounted for? no new cleaners being used in the area?

I would think the GFO may help with no skimmer, its not like you went super low nutrient over night. And obviously there were nutrients as there is cyano now.

Makes me think that it was something else causing the STN.

test your RO water, could have been contaminated with something.

I know - I am racking my brain.....rodi water registers 000 on the tds meter. what about the brute 40 gal. tube- their suppose to be safe ?? ya, I only ran the GFO for 3 days when Lisa said things were going so I had her shut it off

teenyreef

Dang it, I'm really sorry to hear this. :angry:

I can't imagine 3 tablespoons of GFO in a 50g tank could possibly cause shock due sudden PO4 drops. I use one tablespoon routinely in my 10g tank, which is a much higher ratio.

Brute cans are safe, they've got to be the most commonly used container for holding water in the hobby.

Just how heavy was the cyano? The usual thing or was it super heavy and covering everything? Also, was it a new container of GFO, or the same container you've been using? I'm racking my brains too and coming up empty. :(

One thought - I always struggle with trying to figure out PO4 is at zero because it's really high but the cyano is eating it all, or if it's really zero and things are crashing due to no PO4. Maybe instead of changing with all new SW, you could take 5g from you 12g tank, and 5g new water. That way you're introducing water with non-zero, but appropriately low, levels of PO4.

I know that doesn't help you with the massive water changes you've got to do right now, but I'm just throwing out ideas in case anything helps :unsure:

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Dang it, I'm really sorry to hear this. :angry:

I can't imagine 3 tablespoons of GFO in a 50g tank could possibly cause shock due sudden PO4 drops. I use one tablespoon routinely in my 10g tank, which is a much higher ratio.

Brute cans are safe, they've got to be the most commonly used container for holding water in the hobby.

Just how heavy was the cyano? The usual thing or was it super heavy and covering everything? Also, was it a new container of GFO, or the same container you've been using? I'm racking my brains too and coming up empty. :(

One thought - I always struggle with trying to figure out PO4 is at zero because it's really high but the cyano is eating it all, or if it's really zero and things are crashing due to no PO4. Maybe instead of changing with all new SW, you could take 5g from you 12g tank, and 5g new water. That way you're introducing water with non-zero, but appropriately low, levels of PO4.

I know that doesn't help you with the massive water changes you've got to do right now, but I'm just throwing out ideas in case anything helps :unsure:

Ya, I was trying to slowly reduce phosphates. The brute containers are pretty much the standard as you say, just reaching for anything. Changed 10gal. Tonight and gonna change out 10 more tomorrow and turn the skimmer back on. Long day traveling today-time to sleep!

• Like 2

I am sure that you must feel disheartened beyond imagination. After so patiently making the transfer to this tank and then this. Hang in there Scott. Don't do anything drastic, just your water changes. Some of the coral may come back. I feel for you though.:-(

• Like 4
ninjamyst

A similar thing happened when I added gfo to my tank. My acro frags showed signs of stn. No more gfo for me. I know others use it with success but didn't work for me. I think I may have added too much. Now I just run carbon with chaeto and skimmer.

• Like 3

I can't offer any good answers, I'm still learning as well. I am slowly weening my tank off of GFO, the output is slowed to a trickle. My tank, since the big pally removal, has behaved completely differently from what I was used too. A little GFO starts to kill monti caps and even with low PO4 many of my acros are brown.

If you look at Kats tank she's basically running old school by accident. A crap ton of light, high nutrients, and great looking corals.

• Like 2
ReefWeeds

I hope you were able to get some sleep. I'm so sorry, Scott. I wish I had advice that could help but I don't :(

Can you move anything back to your nuvo? I wish I had some acros to frag and send you :(

• Like 1
Mariaface

What was the alk level when you replaced GFO? I've managed to completely ruin some more sensitive corals if alk was above 7.5dKH when phosphate took a dive (even a small one).

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

I am sure that you must feel disheartened beyond imagination. After so patiently making the transfer to this tank and then this. Hang in there Scott. Don't do anything drastic, just your water changes. Some of the coral may come back. I feel for you though.:-(

Thanks Dawn, it is disheartening to see. A few more are loosing tissue this morning. Some acros still show polyps at the base. I started feeding liquid foods last night with everything else to increase PO4.

A similar thing happened when I added gfo to my tank. My acro frags showed signs of stn. No more gfo for me. I know others use it with success but didn't work for me. I think I may have added too much. Now I just run carbon with chaeto and skimmer.

Ya, it's amazing how well that stuff works and maybe with. The cyano taking most of the PO4 it was stripping too much- no idea. Another acro is in STN this morning but some looks like they have halted- maybe, just maybe

I can't offer any good answers, I'm still learning as well. I am slowly weening my tank off of GFO, the output is slowed to a trickle. My tank, since the big pally removal, has behaved completely differently from what I was used too. A little GFO starts to kill monti caps and even with low PO4 many of my acros are brown.

If you look at Kats tank she's basically running old school by accident. A crap ton of light, high nutrients, and great looking corals.

Thanks Mark, I have the high light but that's about all at the moment. What are you gonna do yo keep Po4 in check? I think I may just go back to heavy w/c's to control everything. Maybe run carbon a week a month to clean up a little

I hope you were able to get some sleep. I'm so sorry, Scott. I wish I had advice that could help but I don't :(

Can you move anything back to your nuvo? I wish I had some acros to frag and send you :(

Argh, not much went to bed around midnight - dragging today. I removed almost all of the rock in the Nuvo and the large poci and its frags along with the Idaho grape and large stylo are actually filling it up. I need to get them over to Slowtwitch in the next week or so

What was the alk level when you replaced GFO? I've managed to completely ruin some more sensitive corals if alk was above 7.5dKH when phosphate took a dive (even a small one).

I retested alk. Last night and it was more like 8.5 then 9 so there was a slight change. Now I am worried where it's at cause most corals are dead and not using alk. So I lowered the doser but need to see where it is this morning and tonight. I changed 10 gal. and that water had alk. of 7. I think you right though- I do need to run down at 7 for alk.

• Like 1
ReefWeeds

Thanks Dawn, it is disheartening to see. A few more are loosing tissue this morning. Some acros still show polyps at the base. I started feeding liquid foods last night with everything else to increase PO4.

Ya, it's amazing how well that stuff works and maybe with. The cyano taking most of the PO4 it was stripping too much- no idea. Another acro is in STN this morning but some looks like they have halted- maybe, just maybe

Thanks Mark, I have the high light but that's about all at the moment. What are you gonna do yo keep Po4 in check? I think I may just go back to heavy w/c's to control everything. Maybe run carbon a week a month to clean up a little

Argh, not much went to bed around midnight - dragging today. I removed almost all of the rock in the Nuvo and the large poci and its frags along with the Idaho grape and large stylo are actually filling it up. I need to get them over to Slowtwitch in the next week or so

I retested alk. Last night and it was more like 8.5 then 9 so there was a slight change. Now I am worried where it's at cause most corals are dead and not using alk. So I lowered the doser but need to see where it is this morning and tonight. I changed 10 gal. and that water had alk. of 7. I think you right though- I do need to run down at 7 for alk.

Your calcium seemed low, do you think the ratio of calcium to alk was off? And seriously - I have nothing to back this up and I don't even know if this is a "thing"

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Your calcium seemed low, do you think the ratio of calcium to alk was off? And seriously - I have nothing to back this up and I don't even know if this is a "thing"

Ya, it's a little low but anything above 350 should still be enough to keep everyone fairly happy and not go into STN. I am worried now with the doser setting cause no one is really pulling anything - I reduced the numbers down so alk doesn't keep rising. I kept Ca. Up a little more though to increase that. My monti grafted cap is about 3/4 gone- I hope I can keep him alive. Gotta head to work- I'll be working on the tank all weekend though- we'll see who remains ?

• Like 1
ReefWeeds

Ya, it's a little low but anything above 350 should still be enough to keep everyone fairly happy and not go into STN. I am worried now with the doser setting cause no one is really pulling anything - I reduced the numbers down so alk doesn't keep rising. I kept Ca. Up a little more though to increase that. My monti grafted cap is about 3/4 gone- I hope I can keep him alive. Gotta head to work- I'll be working on the tank all weekend though- we'll see who remains

:tears:

I bet the montis recover.

• Like 1

Thanks Mark, I have the high light but that's about all at the moment. What are you gonna do yo keep Po4 in check?

Stop testing. :D I do use vinegar in the topoff to control nitrates which will hold down PO4 a little but not much. I've been cutting back on coral feedings as the GFO gets removed but keeping up fish feedings. Also trying to do weekly 10 gallon changes, which is only 6% but more than I used to do. There's an long time SPS reefer on RC who throws in bags of Seachem Phosbond to slightly reduce PO4. He's sitting at .16 with absolutely amazing acro colors.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2459858

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

:tears:

I bet the montis recover.

I hope so- the rest of my acros are gone this morning - caps are the only thing left scent for the two new acros I just bought last weekend ?
Sk8n Reefer

Stop testing. :D I do use vinegar in the topoff to control nitrates which will hold down PO4 a little but not much. I've been cutting back on coral feedings as the GFO gets removed but keeping up fish feedings. Also trying to do weekly 10 gallon changes, which is only 6% but more than I used to do. There's an long time SPS reefer on RC who throws in bags of Seachem Phosbond to slightly reduce PO4. He's sitting at .16 with absolutely amazing acro colors.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2459858

Ya, I shut the doser off- gonna let alk. slowly reduce and manually added Ca. To bring that up. Maybe that's the way to do it- not run reactors and just place passively in the sump. Maybe in the filter sock - thanks for the info Mark

Sk8n Reefer

i blame GFO. that's the only thing you changed before you left....

I think your right! I may be done with GFO

Sorry you are going through this :grouphug:.

Thanks Gena, it is hard to watch the corals go through this for sure.

• Like 1
DaveFason

Sorry to hear Scott. I will never run GFO as I have heard horror stories like this as well.

I know it is late but can you wife pull the GFO out?

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Sorry to hear Scott. I will never run GFO as I have heard horror stories like this as well.

I know it is late but can you wife pull the GFO out?

thanks Dave, yes- I had my wife shut off the reactor - it was only running 3 tablespoons and it ran for 3-4 days then when she saw the decline I had her shut it off. I feed heavy last night and did a 10gal. W/c I have my doser off now cause I am not sure how much alk will be used with the tank- it should be good until I get home and can run some more test

• Like 1

Hey bud sorry to read this :(

I do agree it was likely the GFO, along with higher alk.

What was your phosphates before you added gfo?

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Hey bud sorry to read this :(

I do agree it was likely the GFO, along with higher alk.

What was your phosphates before you added gfo?

Thanks man, sucks for sure. Phosphates were a little more than around .03 or point .04 with Elos kit the first color is .05 and it wasn't quite that dark but it has a big jump and minimal color change from .05 and .1 but I think it was more and the cyano was feeding off it and giving me lower reading. The skimmer was fluctuating to much to leave on while I was gone for 4 days so I shut it off and just wanted to run GFO for a few days. Dialed the reactor back pretty good too- must of still shocked everyone. Today the purple stylo is losing tissue in a few places. I am thinking I should do some w/c's but that didn't help anything last time - everything is in a downward spiral...........think I should do another 10 gal w/c?