Top Shelf Aquatics

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

Thanks Dawn, appreciate it......tough to see the tank this way. Skimmers cranking and doing w/c's but the corals left are all but done. I have one acro that is amazingly still alive. I have some survivors in the Nuvo. The cyano is gaining ground still- I reduced light to 5hrs. A day but that isn't doing anything to it. I think I'll have to pull,off that last acro and shut the lights totally off for 4 days or so. I'll get some pics up of the devastation but it's tough to deal with right now. I really blew it with them this time- completely

:-( I am so sad for you. I wished I knew some sort of advice that might help but I don't. When it comes to delicate sps and acros I am clueless.
  • Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

I ran chemiclean on mine and it took out the cyano quickly.

Ya, it's getting to that point - it's not affected by heavy skimming and w/c's

:-( I am so sad for you. I wished I knew some sort of advice that might help but I don't. When it comes to delicate sps and acros I am clueless.

Thanks Dawn, apparently I am clueless too. I thought I had a plan and balance going but it went south quick

:(

I used chemiclean as well with no ill effects - just make sure you run an airstone.

I'm sorry about the corals, Scott. I still am in shock as I am sure you are as well

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Sucks to hear. :(

Ah well, as someone who is becoming an expert at nuking tanks ... always new opportunities!

Yup, the damn cyano is coming on crazy- I stir it around when I do a w/c and it's back in a few hours like nothing ever happened- probably time for chemi clean to see if I can "jolt" it.

:(

I used chemiclean as well with no ill effects - just make sure you run an airstone.

I'm sorry about the corals, Scott. I still am in shock as I am sure you are as well

Thanks Stella- place an air stone in the tank or sump? Ya, it went south fast this time and leaving the day it hit didn't help anything ?

Yup, the damn cyano is coming on crazy- I stir it around when I do a w/c and it's back in a few hours like nothing ever happened- probably time for chemi clean to see if I can "jolt" it.

Thanks Stella- place an air stone in the tank or sump? Ya, it went south fast this time and leaving the day it hit didn't help anything

I put mine in the sump. You just want to make sure you're oxygenating the tank - especially since you can't run the skimmer during the chemiclean process.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

I put mine in the sump. You just want to make sure you're oxygenating the tank - especially since you can't run the skimmer during the chemiclean process.

Got it! I am gonna start tonight!

For what its worth, I cleared up my cyano with regular mixture of coral snow and MB7

Who makes coral snow and what is MB7? I've heard of Coral snow-I thought it was a food?
  • Like 1

Who makes coral snow and what is MB7? I've heard of Coral snow-I thought it was a food?

Microbacter 7 is from Brightwell Aquatics. I used both that and biofuel in my biocube to get rid of cyano! It worked pretty well!

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

Microbacter 7 is from Brightwell Aquatics. I used both that and biofuel in my biocube to get rid of cyano! It worked pretty well!

Does it work better than chemiclean?

• Like 2

I use bacterial supplements to help outcompete pretty much any bacterial issue :P Microbakter and Stability are probably my favorites.

• Like 5
Sk8n Reefer

I use bacterial supplements to help outcompete pretty much any bacterial issue :P Microbakter and Stability are probably my favorites.

Thanks! Who makes stability?

Does it work better than chemiclean?

No. Chemiclean works faster in my experience - MB7 is just adding different bacteria strains to outcompete the cyano. The biofuel adds food for the new bacteria to establish. (at least that is my understanding about the biofuel)

• Like 1

Coral Snow is a KZ product - http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/korallen-zucht-coral-snow.html

This is one of the few products that lives up to the hype for me. I'll toss in a cap full every other week and it quickly binds organics and leaves the water clearer.

Bingo!

Here is the thread I worked through to get my mixture/dosage right http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/366558-very-rapid-cyanodiatom-growth/

Good luck.

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

Coral Snow is a KZ product - http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/korallen-zucht-coral-snow.html

This is one of the few products that lives up to the hype for me. I'll toss in a cap full every other week and it quickly binds organics and leaves the water clearer.

Bingo!

Here is the thread I worked through to get my mixture/dosage right http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/366558-very-rapid-cyanodiatom-growth/

Good luck.

Excellent, thank you

• Like 1

We're happy to help!

And even if you don't share: take photos to document the progress from this point. When you look back, it'll be helpful.

• Like 2

I use Coral Snow but I would be surprised if it makes much of a dent in the cyano by itself. Another product by the same company called "A Balance" takes down cyano in about three days. I use it sometimes when it gets too bad but I try and do as much as I can with elbow grease (not least because no one seems to know what A Balance actually is). The trouble with putting in something to kill cyano (or algae or diatoms) is that you aren't really removing the problem. Coral Snow is good, though, in that it helps the skimmer take out whatever the dying cyano is releasing back into the system. I don't think there's any substitute for siphoning if you want to get the problem and its consumed nutrients out of your tank. The chemicals are a great help, though.

KZ also recommend using their bacteria supplement "Cyanoclean" with the Coral Snow but, after going through a few bottles, I'm not convinced that it does anything. I feel the same way about most bacteria cultures that require constant additions. If a colony can't be established, what's the point?

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

We're happy to help!

And even if you don't share: take photos to document the progress from this point. When you look back, it'll be helpful.

I do have fotos and will share- I've been lagging in that area- not as exciting to post up white corals- but I'll get them up this week?

I use Coral Snow but I would be surprised if it makes much of a dent in the cyano by itself. Another product by the same company called "A Balance" takes down cyano in about three days. I use it sometimes when it gets too bad but I try and do as much as I can with elbow grease (not least because no one seems to know what A Balance actually is). The trouble with putting in something to kill cyano (or algae or diatoms) is that you aren't really removing the problem. Coral Snow is good, though, in that it helps the skimmer take out whatever the dying cyano is releasing back into the system. I don't think there's any substitute for siphoning if you want to get the problem and its consumed nutrients out of your tank. The chemicals are a great help, though.

KZ also recommend using their bacteria supplement "Cyanoclean" with the Coral Snow but, after going through a few bottles, I'm not convinced that it does anything. I feel the same way about most bacteria cultures that require constant additions. If a colony can't be established, what's the point?

excellent points- more of a bandaid but at this pint I have to stop the bleeding. Shame- I just dialed in my skimmer and its producing a great coffee skim mate and will have to shut it down once I start chemi clean- it'll need fine tuning again
  • Like 1
Slowtwitch

Hey Sk8, just getting caught up and so sorry to hear of your troubles. Wish I could help you get restocked. Maybe I'll have a few pieces to frag when you are ready. Finally getting some good acro growth in the one tank that actually looks good for me right now.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Hey Sk8, just getting caught up and so sorry to hear of your troubles. Wish I could help you get restocked. Maybe I'll have a few pieces to frag when you are ready. Finally getting some good acro growth in the one tank that actually looks good for me right now.

Thanks man, ya I really blew it this time and made some bad decisions. Funny, I am supposed to be sending you some corals? I will I just can't find a Tuesday or Wednesday to have the time to ship. I will though- I want ya to get that big Idaho grape and the poci's- you'll grow em huge! What acros are growing well for ya now?

• Like 1

Totally out? Or just cut back- what about the corals that are still left- won't that stress the crap out em even more? There's one acro hanging on and some caps

totally out, 3 days for cyano. Don't completely shut your skimmer off for chemi;clean and add an airstone thats newb shit, just take the cup off your skimmer.... Your skimmer produces more oxygen for the system then an airstone likely will and oxygen is VERY important when using chemi-clean ;) No carbon running either.

I was talking about doing the lights out while your were gone rather then making a big change like adding even a small amount of highly effective gfo. ;) You could also try vinegar, or a bacterial product and bens calcium carbonate solution (DIY coral snow) as well as keeping the skimmer running.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

I hate GFO. It makes me nervous after reading time over time of situations like this... Sorry to hear about the tank woes.

Just out of curiosity, what Po4 test are you usingg(

• Like 1