Top Shelf Aquatics

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

Sk8n Reefer

The tank is looking great! I'm glad you finally got Benny out of that rock :scarry:

I know it's early yet but how do you like the new skimmer?

Thanks man! so far so good and it is extremely quiet ?. I have it set fairly low right now and have a lot of fine tuning to do. I adjusted this morning and will see how it is later tonight. it's already pulled some skim mate but nothing crazy yet. Zero micro bubbles released into the tank- I've never seen that with a skimmer- pretty awesome
  • Like 5
Sk8n Reefer

Benny is hanging out in a rock- still pretty shy but he is visible. Bad spot for foto. I'll let him calm down then start pressing him to pose?

Until then here's a painting of Benny from Stellablue- looks just like em ?

96d583f2282511fb701f73f54ed41509_zpsymbq

• Like 8
reefernanoman

ya, he tried his best but we got him! Hopefully the weather calms down. I travel to SA once in awhile for work- any good LFS there?

I would definitely stop at World Class Aquatics and Exotics.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

off to Huntington Beach for our companies conference! Staying through Saturday night! Beach front room ?. I took some shots last night so I can update the thread. Set the skimmer - hopefully it won't cause any issues for my wife?.

• Like 2

Still snowing this morning We have about 18+ inches so far

This is how it looked Friday morning

651aefe3fb24c8f937ade3f72d84453b_zps0bdk

Then Saturday morning

9ac5630dc828036be92c1ce7e19c519d_zpsqbxi

Branches are snapping from the weight - very wet snow

oh my that is so sad, i'd run to the beach too!

hopefully it won't cause any issues for my wife.

famous last words

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

oh my that is so sad, i'd run to the beach too!

famous last words

dude No! don't say that ?. I don't want to take that call
  • Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Enjoyed the ocean breeze a little today in Huntington Beach

0deec3a703bb033a6a5bb337a697b688_zpsvxtf

Some shots from yesterday

Setosa doing well and growing

0R4RoPk.jpg

Pink stylo

u67bPbj.jpg

Grafted cap

rY6Bd8H.jpg

Purple stylo

XUwk1UR.jpg

Set the skimmer to skim fairly dry before I leave so my wife doesn't have to worry about it or empty it. Pretty amazing skimmer so far- super quite and it's already showing some good skimmate ? A little wet but I am adjusting to find the sweet spot

31f021b4f8d8f468ab1add328774a9a0_zpskcpf

• Like 7

Pics look great as usual Scott and +1 on the new skimmer. Enjoy the ocean breeze. I guess I will just have to get a fan and blow it over my sump and sit in front of it to get some ocean breeze! Ha ha!

• Like 4
Sk8n Reefer

Pics look great as usual Scott and +1 on the new skimmer. Enjoy the ocean breeze. I guess I will just have to get a fan and blow it over my sump and sit in front of it to get some ocean breeze! Ha ha!

thanks Dawn, ya I am pretty stoked on the skimmer, always nice to be at the ocean. Fan over the sump - that's awesome ? I have surf lessons at noon today do that should be fun

• Like 1

Benny is hanging out in a rock- still pretty shy but he is visible. Bad spot for foto. I'll let him calm down then start pressing him to pose

Until then here's a painting of Benny from Stellablue- looks just like em

96d583f2282511fb701f73f54ed41509_zpsymbq

wow her artwork is beautiful.

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

wow her artwork is beautiful.

yes, she does awesome work - she has a thread for paintings - I believe it's called 'reef paintings' check it out!

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

my skimmer is loud. i may have to switch to another skimmer. again. may have to get yours if it's super quiet.

yes, I was surprised how quiet it was - there's 3 adjustments to make it produce- it will take a bit to fine tune - pretty impressed so far though. so damn expensive though but if it works I feel it's worth it
  • Like 1

yes, I was surprised how quiet it was - there's 3 adjustments to make it produce- it will take a bit to fine tune - pretty impressed so far though. so damn expensive though but if it works I feel it's worth it

yea, it's double the price of my current skimmer...hmm....

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

yea, it's double the price of my current skimmer...hmm....

give me another month to work with it and I'll be able to give ya a good idea of how it's working

• Like 2

Yes, a very good thing. They are getting to be a good size and it's nice to see them out and about. I just love the pattern on the picasso's ?I still need to get a fish that swims out in the open more and shows himself- that would be fun! Any suggestions?

Decide on a fish yet? Or fishes? ;)

I have lemon chromis, always out in the open, but doesn't do much for color. Also have a dottyback, nice colors and swims out a lot. Anthias?

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Wow, haven't been in here in a while, the tank is looking great!

Great looking scape, the large monticap really fills in the middle.

Thanks! Good to hear from you, ya I am pretty stoked on how the scape is shaping up. Hopefully my top row of acros will take off!

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

Decide on a fish yet? Or fishes? ;)

I have lemon chromis, always out in the open, but doesn't do much for color. Also have a dottyback, nice colors and swims out a lot. Anthias?

No, I haven't made a serious attempt at deciding on fish yet. I know I want a shrimp/goby pair but I am holding out for a yasha goby. I'd love a potters angel but it's to risky for the acros. I think I need 3-4 more fish. My Tailspot has made it over now and he is living in my large cap- I'll have to get pics when I get back- should make for some good ones

I'm glad the new skimmer is working so well. Have fun at the beach :)

Ya it's doing good but I need more time to set it and then I think I'll get some good coffee color in there. The beach is awesome and I took some surfing lessons today...........I got up right away but let's say I like riding concrete much better ? I think I drank a gallon of seawater ?

• Like 3

That Nyos skimmer is so beautiful. Great to know it's quiet. I was doubting abou the nyos quantum 120 and the double cone 130, i went with the double cone instead... Pricey but really really really quiet.

Tank looking great man!

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

That Nyos skimmer is so beautiful. Great to know it's quiet. I was doubting abou the nyos quantum 120 and the double cone 130, i went with the double cone instead... Pricey but really really really quiet.

Tank looking great man!

Thanks ! Ya, I am pretty stoked- I've only had it running for a week so I am hoping it will only improve once I dial it in more

• Like 1

The surfing lessons don't surprise me!!! I can't wait to hear how you like it! I used to try to surf in my late teens/20s. It wasn't easy! Although I bet with skating, you already have that whole center of gravity thing down. I did not :lol:

• Like 1

No, I haven't made a serious attempt at deciding on fish yet. I know I want a shrimp/goby pair but I am holding out for a yasha goby. I'd love a potters angel but it's to risky for the acros. I think I need 3-4 more fish. My Tailspot has made it over now and he is living in my large cap- I'll have to get pics when I get back- should make for some good ones

Ya it's doing good but I need more time to set it and then I think I'll get some good coffee color in there. The beach is awesome and I took some surfing lessons today...........I got up right away but let's say I like riding concrete much better I think I drank a gallon of seawater

Hey, I say 3-4 anthias ;) They eat a lot, so more food for the acros!

• Like 1