Coral Vue Hydros

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

Sk8n Reefer

My favorite fish was my Midas blenny. Although it is not an open water swimmer it came out and perched all the time and it definitely was not reclusive. Its bright yellow/orange color was nice too. My female lyretail anthias was an open water swimmer. Dave did not like her ...he said she looked like a common feeder goldfish, ha ha! She kind of did. And although there is a lot of damsel hate out there I always liked the little yellow tails. That blue is so striking and that specie aren't really all that aggressive. No more so than clownfish anyway.

Midas are really cool too but probably wouldn't get along with my Tailspot (once I transfer him over). I would like to get the goby/shrimp pair but I am holding out for a yasha and my lfs says they are the easiest to find. That's not gonna give me an open swimmer though. Maybe a 6 line - I really like them but then there goes my pod population. Decisions decisions ?

Wrasse! Why not?

Yup- that will get me some movement but I worry alittle about it destroying my pod population but I guess I can always add more ?
  • Like 2

Midas are really cool too but probably wouldn't get along with my Tailspot (once I transfer him over). I would like to get the goby/shrimp pair but I am holding out for a yasha and my lfs says they are the easiest to find. That's not gonna give me an open swimmer though. Maybe a 6 line - I really like them but then there goes my pod population. Decisions decisions

I forgot about the TSB. You are right, I wouldn't risk that and anyway they have similar personalities. Sixlines are cool and easy to get most of the time.

• Like 1

Yes sir, I can't wait to get it wet- been working to late during the week so it's gonna have to be on the weekend. I know I searched around and found it for just under 4 but my lfs sells them and his pricing is always inline with BRS and Marine depot and he cut me a deal on an acro frag so that made it alittle less painful. What skimmer you running now?

Running a CoralBox D700. It's nice but makes a rather noticeable humming sound.

I am looking for another open swimmer too. Leaning heavily on a McCosker Wrasse.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

There are MUCH better choices, they are horrible little dicks

Hahaha- that's funny ? True- I had one years and years ago and I think I remember that. Not sure I want a wrasse really though- great movement but they will decimate my pod population. Not sure why but that kinda bothers me. I guess I could always add more

Running a CoralBox D700. It's nice but makes a rather noticeable humming sound.

I am looking for another open swimmer too. Leaning heavily on a McCosker Wrasse.

Coralbox was another one I was considering. I am hoping the Nyos is a work horse- sure is doing a great job sitting on my tiki bar? I need to get up to speed on all the wrasses
  • Like 2

Beautiful pics Scott! I can't believe how quickly this tank settled in and looks mature and like you've had it for years. Your patience in the transfer definitely paid off. Awesome job!

I agree!

Clowns hosting my magnet

N1Fc7v6.jpg

Tough to get a good shot of my season's greetings but it's becoming a beautiful coral

ccFiYwk.jpg

All kinds of life going on this rock

WLHJma2.jpg

I think your clowns need a toadstool leather to call home :D

• Like 2

Softy pusher I think they love the magnet.

Mine loved my seachem ammonia badge in the biocube. I had it in there when I first started the tank and kept it there because I was paranoid about ammonia. Then when the clowns started calling that home, I didn't have the heart to remove it :lol: The thing was coated with coralline and spent about 7 months in my tank until they found their toad

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

Mine loved my seachem ammonia badge in the biocube. I had it in there when I first started the tank and kept it there because I was paranoid about ammonia. Then when the clowns started calling that home, I didn't have the heart to remove it :lol: The thing was coated with coralline and spent about 7 months in my tank until they found their toad

Funny how they adopt certain things- it would be cool if they would host my purple stylo. They stayed by the rock in thenNuvo so I think they quickly felt comfortable around that piece. Benny is taking the ride this weekend so the family will be back together ?
  • Like 1

Hahaha- that's funny True- I had one years and years ago and I think I remember that. Not sure I want a wrasse really though- great movement but they will decimate my pod population. Not sure why but that kinda bothers me. I guess I could always add more

I need to get up to speed on all the wrasses

You don't need pods anyway really, unless you have plans for a mandarin or something. I've never had huge pod populations even before I got into wrasses.... they annoy me lol

What you wanna know :lol:

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

You don't need pods anyway really, unless you have plans for a mandarin or something. I've never had huge pod populations even before I got into wrasses.... they annoy me lol

What you wanna know :lol:

Always like a healthy pod population but now it's much easier to just add them when it declines. I thinks it's healthy to have plenty of micro life participating in the Eco system ? I really want a goby/shrimp pair but I am holding out for a yasha with my lfs. That's not gonna give me an open swimmer though.

Alright, time to vacuum out the sump and set up the Nyos skimmer! Still snowing hard here- looks to be about a 9-12" so far☃☃

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

Got the Nyos skimmer up and running yesterday. We in the middle of a major snow storm here so plenty of down time to work on the tanks. Vacuumed out the sump and did a 6gal. W/C.

So far the skimmer is very quiet ?

55208a46e613576829912e8d8f2e9d3d_zpsfzge

c6211d96e232ac1a95e731c43c4a964b_zpsn3xu

Still snowing this morning ? We have about 18+ inches so far

This is how it looked Friday morning

651aefe3fb24c8f937ade3f72d84453b_zps0bdk

Then Saturday morning

9ac5630dc828036be92c1ce7e19c519d_zpsqbxi

Branches are snapping from the weight - very wet snow

fbc65f652328266f332dde15a5ac2357_zpspyxt

7b2d53621bfcb74b03defa5608d13bb5_zpsirt9

Micro starfish all over the tank.

eXfYIdp.jpg

Plan on transferring my Tailspot over today- we'll see how that goes

• Like 7
reefernanoman

Here's a few shots from the weekend

New Ora green planet frag- fresh after the dip

r5VCKbU.jpg

QgTi2Nn.jpg

Corallimorph

x09O4jM.jpg

Added 10 little micro hermits to mill about

HRLJOHq.jpg

Ponape Birdsnest

jwu2F2V.jpg

Raspberry limeade Hyacinthus - getting some green on the tips and other side

1GHyc5I.jpg

Clowns coming out for an evening appearance before the lights go out

p3zulro.jpg

Grafted cap showing some good growth

MGfGYEY.jpg

X-mas mirabellis changing its color to more of a yellowish green at the base and parts of the body

q5dGn5v.jpg

Setosa from the front

fQnug4L.jpg

Shroom stinging my purple stylo

rUR9qAp.jpg

Pink stylo

ZuRatG4.jpg

Poor little mango tango monti fell forward into the Cyphastrea and got stung

gsOh3An.jpg

Branching Cyphastrea

lcxu5DQ.jpg

FTS

y9lX5rR.jpg

I2h9XjK.jpg

Looks beautiful! Most of those corals came from your Nuvo 16G right?

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Looks beautiful! Most of those corals came from your Nuvo 16G right?

Yes, except the new acros around the top rim- that's the plan- add acros around the top and mid section and keep the monti's in the lower half ?
  • Like 2

O wow, I saw on the weather channel that you were going to get hammered with a snow storm! Its beautiful but not in the middle of April, esp3cially when the spring blooms have begun. I guess the bright side is you had time to work in the tank. Did you catch the TSB yet?

We had had very cold snow flurries last weekend and the weekend before but this weekend was beautiful. I am raking out the garden and spreading mulch. The seahorses got very little attention except at meal time.

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

O wow, I saw on the weather channel that you were going to get hammered with a snow storm! Its beautiful but not in the middle of April, esp3cially when the spring blooms have begun. I guess the bright side is you had time to work in the tank. Did you catch the TSB yet?

We had had very cold snow flurries last weekend and the weekend before but this weekend was beautiful. I am raking out the garden and spreading mulch. The seahorses got very little attention except at meal time.

Nice for the seahorses. Ya, it was just too much to late ? Yes!! Finally got Benny over. The family is back together ? Wasn't easy

I'm so glad that storm didn't hit us! We've had tons of wind though that I hate. Tank is looking great.

Thanks! Ya usually you guys get everything first but I think it came in lower and missed you guys

Sk8n Reefer

Alright the man of the hour Benny our Tailspot blenny finally made the transfer. I released him and he swam in behind the rocks ? Probably see him around tomorrow.

93182d7420ada009336d534df1f7622b_zpsk6km

Wasn't an easy task... He was on lockdown in a hole in one of my larger live rocks with the big green poci attached. I pulled the rock and placed it into a bucket and shook it around but he wouldn't come out.

60736c23f2478a01c07bae7cf9842458_zpskawe

Removed the large poci and looked on the opposite of his hole and gained access from the back and touched him until he "popped" out ?

5b78f5fe186e79fef766e00f7297702b_zpsr5n3

Also got another 5gal. w/c in. Removed the GFO and cleaned out the reactor till next time

• Like 8
Sk8n Reefer

Yea, now the new tank is completely transferred! Good job in getting blenny. He is going to love his new home.

? Yes, complete! He was a difficult little bugger? Hopefully he'll be out and about today

• Like 2
reefernanoman

Yes, complete! He was a difficult little bugger Hopefully he'll be out and about today

Oh yeah, some fish are a PITA to remove or transfer. I remember when I had to catch my Royal Gramma a few times. Since they are cave dwellers, they can squeeze into impossible places inside your LR! Great job on the transfer! Talking about the weather, here in San Antonio Tx, we got some crazy hail about two days ago, which damaged a whole bunch of cars, smashed car windows, and even damaged some houses. Yesterday, a house caught on fire after a lightning strike! Yikes. Be careful out there, it's been a wild week of crazy weather.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Oh yeah, some fish are a PITA to remove or transfer. I remember when I had to catch my Royal Gramma a few times. Since they are cave dwellers, they can squeeze into impossible places inside your LR! Great job on the transfer! Talking about the weather, here in San Antonio Tx, we got some crazy hail about two days ago, which damaged a whole bunch of cars, smashed car windows, and even damaged some houses. Yesterday, a house caught on fire after a lightning strike! Yikes. Be careful out there, it's been a wild week of crazy weather.

ya, he tried his best but we got him! Hopefully the weather calms down. I travel to SA once in awhile for work- any good LFS there?

• Like 1

The tank is looking great! I'm glad you finally got Benny out of that rock :scarry:

I know it's early yet but how do you like the new skimmer?

• Like 1