Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

Are you feeding heavy? How's your flow?

I just was thinking about it.

Flow is an Hydor 240(or whatever the lower numbers are) It has flow, albeit not particularily great. mind you the algae issue is mostly on glass and walls. If you look at my lastest FTS, you can see it on the back wall.

But the most recent change has been the lack of chaeto in my media basket because the light is old. I run a USB powered book light and it was starting to flicker. I ran it 24/7

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

I just was thinking about it.Flow is an Hydor 240(or whatever the lower numbers are) It has flow, albeit not particularily great. mind you the algae issue is mostly on glass and walls. If you look at my lastest FTS, you can see it on the back wall.But the most recent change has been the lack of chaeto in my media basket because the light is old. I run a USB powered book light and it was starting to flicker. I ran it 24/7

That's why I am adding some GFO- the glass is getting algae quicker now. I gotta be careful not to strip out to much to quick.

Sk8n Reefer

I am going to be doing WC - which remind me, I better check the RODI fill... I flood the floors every time.

? Yup- done that a few times too. Until we redo our laundry room with a larger wash tub I put a duel connector on the shower head and run the unit in the bath tube with the 5 gal. Bucket- no worries of overflow anymore! ?

Sk8n Reefer

Totally a bummer day- woke up this morning to my new blue Mille frag in full RTN ? Bone white with a small part left on the top and that was gone by the time I left for work. It was still showing PE. Something pissed it off during the night. Alk,ca and mg are all solid with the doser. I added a little GFO 3 tablespoons to the reactor on Sunday. I doubt if that has stripped to much phosphates put of the water- I'll test it tomorrow. Kept the reactor going and all other corals are looking happy. New camera will be here by Friday so I can start documenting again ?

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the mille Scott. :-( That stinks, especially when it seems like all is running as it should and you really don't know what set it off.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Sorry to hear about the mille Scott. :-( That stinks, especially when it seems like all is running as it should and you really don't know what set it off.

Thanks Dawn, ya that's the thing about acros, they can get upset and fade away quickly before you have a chance to make any adjustments. Morning check today and everyone is doing well. I love looking through the tank in the morning with the flashlight, you can really see the base area and growth where new frags are encrusting.

• Like 3

Thanks Dawn, ya that's the thing about acros, they can get upset and fade away quickly before you have a chance to make any adjustments. Morning check today and everyone is doing well. I love looking through the tank in the morning with the flashlight, you can really see the base area and growth where new frags are encrusting.

Sorry about the milli, I hate when they do that.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Sorry about the milli, I hate when they do that.

Ya, I started GFO on Sunday and then this happened- I am running a smal amount-3 tablespoons and I doubt it reduced PO4 enough to bother it but who knows. I'll test today and maybe pull it by Friday. I just hit ya up about your GFO and carbon

• Like 1

Ha ha, thats funny. All us aquarists have our little habits that bring us enjoyment of our hobby. For me, I love turning on the moonlight LEDs when its still dark in the morning and seeing all the coral/macros fluoresce while the ponies move ghost-like around the tank while I am drinking my coffee.

• Like 1

Ya, I started GFO on Sunday and then this happened- I am running a smal amount-3 tablespoons and I doubt it reduced PO4 enough to bother it but who knows. I'll test today and maybe pull it by Friday. I just hit ya up about your GFO and carbon

GFO is some pretty effective stuff and doesn't require much. What were your phos at before you added the gfo?

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

GFO is some pretty effective stuff and doesn't require much. What were your phos at before you added the gfo?

No idea what PO4 was but I've been feeding heavy and the algae was spinning out of control. I placed a small amount in the reactor and barely have it flowing through- just enough for a light tumble. Algae is still going strong so I'll run the GFO through Friday then probably remove it. I'll check PO4 this weekend.

Sk8n Reefer

The new camera showed up today! Snapped a few shots but still have to figure out some settings.

X-mas mirabellis coloring up

oMJ7tFW.jpg

Pink blast

UKNiSHS.jpg

Bubblegum Mille with some crazy PE

aqZdr2A.jpg

Purple rim green cap

Pek5zMI.jpg

Setosa

Uywrmzy.jpg

Idaho grape and stange ridge coral

fHqxUvn.jpg

Purple stylo

AsdwW1a.jpg

Branching Cyphastrea

0ORpEuC.jpg

Pavona

7rZ7nig.jpg

Bird of paradise

3spTWdK.jpg

Red encrusting monti

CbwbPHx.jpg

Grafted cap

pbKaEoJ.jpg

• Like 9

The new camera showed up today! Snapped a few shots but still have to figure out some settings.

X-mas mirabellis coloring upoMJ7tFW.jpg

Pink blastUKNiSHS.jpg

Bubblegum Mille with some crazy PEaqZdr2A.jpg

Purple rim green capPek5zMI.jpg

SetosaUywrmzy.jpg

Idaho grape and stange ridge coralfHqxUvn.jpg

Purple styloAsdwW1a.jpg

Branching Cyphastrea 0ORpEuC.jpg

Pavona 7rZ7nig.jpg

Bird of paradise3spTWdK.jpg

Red encrusting montiCbwbPHx.jpg

Grafted cap pbKaEoJ.jpg

The new pics look real good, like the pics you took with your old camera. The coral look good too. Hopefully the gfo nips the algae issue.
  • Like 1

Corals look healthy to me, and the montis don't look to be suffering from a PO4 drop.

How's the flow, are you getting some good strong variable flow on all the acros?

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

The new pics look real good, like the pics you took with your old camera. The coral look good too. Hopefully the gfo nips the algae issue.

Thanks Dawn, yes, the GFO is slowly getting control- should be able to remove it this weekend. Pics are a little dark for me but I haven't played with the settings to much yet

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

Corals look healthy to me, and the montis don't look to be suffering from a PO4 drop.

How's the flow, are you getting some good strong variable flow on all the acros?

Thanks Mark, as you know it's a scary balance- I took your lead and keep the reactor at a low flow. I haven't ran carbon in a reactor yet- just passively in a back but I removed that now. Thinking about running a little in a reactor a week or two a month.

Flow with the gyre is interesting- the water is really moving and with the inlets it tends to have a few moments of change- when you watch that bubblegum the polyps are pushed in many directions. I just have the gyre on constant flow at 50%- I may bump to 60% this weekend. I haven't played with its random flow feature but maybe I should try and see how that works. I've also thought about adding a little powerhead on a timer to shoot across the sand every few hours to shake things up

hoorah for the camera!!!

Yes! Life is good again ? I got the Nikon d300 - it's older but still two generations newer that's my old one and a lot more bells and whistles ?

• Like 1

Thanks Mark, as you know it's a scary balance- I took your lead and keep the reactor at a low flow. I haven't ran carbon in a reactor yet- just passively in a back but I removed that now. Thinking about running a little in a reactor a week or two a month.

Flow with the gyre is interesting- the water is really moving and with the inlets it tends to have a few moments of change- when you watch that bubblegum the polyps are pushed in many directions. I just have the gyre on constant flow at 50%- I may bump to 60% this weekend. I haven't played with its random flow feature but maybe I should try and see how that works. I've also thought about adding a little powerhead on a timer to shoot across the sand every few hours to shake things up

Yes! Life is good again I got the Nikon d300 - it's older but still two generations newer that's my old one and a lot more bells and whistles

The D300 was the flagship DX camera for Nikon even after they released newer models. Great choice in camera.

For the Gyre, do they have a random mode? Or are you referring to the pulse mode?

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

The D300 was the flagship DX camera for Nikon even after they released newer models. Great choice in camera.

For the Gyre, do they have a random mode? Or are you referring to the pulse mode?

Ya, I am stoked- very affordable. I found just a body on eBay for 230.00. Both my old lens fit so that really helps ? The thing to watch for in used ones is try to get a low shutter count- they are rated for about 150k but can go longer. Mine was at 35k so it should last me plenty.

I'll have to ckeck on the gyre- I do believe they have a reverse mode that you can set a time on so it can switch back and forth. I have to be careful with that because of the placement of my rock it may flow directly at the rock in reverse.

• Like 2

Ya, I am stoked- very affordable. I found just a body on eBay for 230.00. Both my old lens fit so that really helps The thing to watch for in used ones is try to get a low shutter count- they are rated for about 150k but can go longer. Mine was at 35k so it should last me plenty.

I'll have to ckeck on the gyre- I do believe they have a reverse mode that you can set a time on so it can switch back and forth. I have to be careful with that because of the placement of my rock it may flow directly at the rock in reverse.

yea, except when it's reverse it doesn't flow much at all =P. I may have to play arond with that. I put it on reverse once a week just to blow some detritus out.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

yea, except when it's reverse it doesn't flow much at all =P. I may have to play arond with that. I put it on reverse once a week just to blow some detritus out.

That's a good idea- that why I was looking at adding an additional powerhead for "once in awhile". I do need to play around. What strength are you running your at? I do love the gyre though- I've never had a tank with the whole volume of water moving like this ? And I am only at 50%

• Like 1

That's a good idea- that why I was looking at adding an additional powerhead for "once in awhile". I do need to play around. What strength are you running your at? I do love the gyre though- I've never had a tank with the whole volume of water moving like this And I am only at 50%

i am also running 50%. i just wish there's an actual "random" mode similar to the crest mode on the vortechs.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

I've never had a v

i am also running 50%. i just wish there's an actual "random" mode similar to the crest mode on the vortechs.

I've never had vortech so I don't have anything to compare it to. The flow is pretty amazing though