ReefCleaners.org

Sunstar's Nemesis III - March 2019 - looking... mature...

Sunstar

So, I might have bought some green/yellow zoas and I think an eagle eye. they came as plugless loose polyps, so I have glued them down. I had some great success last time when I got loose polyps they are growing nicely. I hope for similar success.

• Like 1

Eggbert got the last laugh. she took a hike while I was at work. She chose to wedge herself under my poor favia stinging it inthe process. I think the favia will be okay, she just looks like a small case of pox.

If eggbert stays where she has gone to, I may need to move Lola (gorgonian) somewhere else.

Leh sigh.

On a side note she looks more bubble-tip like

Please excuse the crap colours.

20160421_214839.jpg

• Like 3

I don't think I have ever outlined the "blooms/Invasions" I have had in this tank since I set up the 1.5 - to current with the 10. Since I have my original corals I figured I would list them. Because most of these invasions vanished in time.

Of course we have had the diatom algae bloom - but that goes without say.

Flatworms - because at first I did not dip my corals . I did treatment for it, sypon and then FWE, but it never got to the invasion level we have at work. That is a Just no. (Wiped out)

Feather duster Invasion of 2015 - which ended shortly after I switched to the 10 gallon. I didn't dip the rocks, they just seemed to not thrive. Shortly after my upgrade I went to RODI. I still see a couple, just not everywhere. they were all over the rocks, in the sand, on anything flat. I would also see them swimming

10 Onward

Sponge/pineapple sponge Invasion - These were everywhere. In the sump, in rock caves, on my emerald crab. And then, over night it seems, they just vanished. I have a couple still.

Small Hydroid Invasion - likely due to the feeding of fine foods, this invasion has since been significantly reduced. I am sure it will come back if I start feeding super fine golden pearls.

Munid Isopod Invasion - Small insect like creatures that were all over everything, coupled with tiny "Seed shrimp" Both have gone into decline - possibly out competed by the shrimp.

Spagetti Worm Invasion - Current. They are everywhere. I see them drifting in the water. They are in the sand. I think control would be having a fish that actually ate them. I am not worried. they seem to end up in nem's clutches and are gone shortly after.

Mysid Shrimp Empire - At night I see hundreds, during the day I see them running around, across rocks, across powerheads, frag rack, sand - okay, during the day I see hundreds. Control expected: free fish food.

So far that is the current track of mini empires of micro-fauna, where one species goes nuts then falls into - what I think is equilibrium. Except Flatworms. those are extinct. A lot of the blooms seem to coincide with feeding spurts.

I have to move one of my acans and likely my gorgonian to a new location. I may attach the gorg to an upside down frag plug to use it as an anchor in sand. I have grown quite fond of Eggbert.

• Like 1

I got her to move but she might have hurt her foot in theprocess. She recovered the last time, so I am hoping we can get her to recover a bit this timeI had to move her, she stung the favia, got my acans, nailed my blasto, nailed the gorgonian. I had always meant for her to go into the frag tank. she can take over a spot in there.

• Like 1

I got her to move but she might have hurt her foot in theprocess. She recovered the last time, so I am hoping we can get her to recover a bit this timeI had to move her, she stung the favia, got my acans, nailed my blasto, nailed the gorgonian. I had always meant for her to go into the frag tank. she can take over a spot in there.

Sounds like my tank. My green RFA was engaged in a scorched earth policy :o

I get the same kind of blooms with different hitchhikers from time to time. In the 4g, it's giant amphipods. In the 10g it's the bristleworms. I had spaghetti worms in the 10g but they seem to have died back now.

Sounds like my tank. My green RFA was engaged in a scorched earth policy :o

I get the same kind of blooms with different hitchhikers from time to time. In the 4g, it's giant amphipods. In the 10g it's the bristleworms. I had spaghetti worms in the 10g but they seem to have died back now.

I am considering attempting to move my RFA as well, probably to the frag tank. BTA is not looking happy at all. I feel bad :/

• Like 1

Water Change Night. 04/24/2016 11:56pm

Okay, I am Only JUST a little paranoid. I had water squirt into my face when removing algae off a frag plug of palythoa. In my mouth. So I told my husband I had been handling them in case of problems. This was in my frag tank. I think I have a metallic taste in my mouth - that or the coffee is old >.>

Next Sunday is the Start of May... which means FTS. This means WC night is going to be one day earlier so I can get it nice and clean for Photo. May also will be the 6th Month birthday of the tank.

This week I hope to get the gumdrop in. I may be looking into getting a julians thing. I also hope the gumdrop chooses somewhere I can feed it... I mean, the fish spends most of its time hiding under an oyster shell in the QT. I do not think it will starve though in my tank. Not with the ample shrimpies that thrive in all corners of it.

I now have open space in my sand bed. Enough to perhaps put a bunch of my mushrooms there - the big bouncy things. or that leather coral. What ever that might get merrily turfed over by hermit crabs

Nem has really perked up. She was a bit pissed with me. I am glad she is recovering. I was concerned for a bit. I mean, she looked so so so very flumpy.

I also need to reputty the rock structure, it got shifted when I was removing the nem.

• Like 1

20160425_183825.jpg

In tank shot, where he went after I released him. Photo taken through the ATO reserve

20160425_202447.jpg

A new hiding spot. Gone from there now. Not sure where... hiding hide-ishly.

edit:found him, he's on the frag rack :3

• Like 3

The gumdrop has spent all day on the frag rack. Its not a coral croucher, its a rack croucher. I think its stalking my tiny shrimp.

• Like 1

The gumdrop has spent all day on the frag rack. Its not a coral croucher, its a rack croucher. I think its stalking my tiny shrimp.

:lol: They are so cute, though.

:lol: They are so cute, though.

unimaginably so.

His little tail has been a bit closed today, but I think he's a little freaked out by such a big space.

Face down, ass up, thats the way we eat our shrimp!

20160426_144239.jpg

• Like 4

I am not feeling well, so WC has not happened. It will happen tomorrow. I am just... bleh, but here is the First of month FTS. I will try to get a better one later.

20160501_214638.jpg

• Like 1

I know, I have been very quiet lately. Been a bit busier at work.

But the gumdrop. What an adorable little guy.

He has found himself a favourite location. this location being on the frag rack, in the corner, on my side of the desk. By this means, I see him all the time. Peeking. I lean over to take a look and little fish pokes his head down between the frag rack and the reserve tank, and all I see is little fishy rumpus. He is out going when it comes to feeding, and when I was cleaning the tank last night, the little fishkins swam around then perched himself between the glass and my thumb. It was one of those cat moments, where you don't wAnt to move because, clearly the creature is comfortable. Even though now your back is saying WTF, straighten up!

I am still trying to get a shrimp population moved to the frag tank. Fugu seems to be happily eating these, and there are still hundreds. I hope he is unaable to et the lot and they can continue to thrive as well.

Waterchange did not happen until last night, and I did a larger one to make up for my slack.Outside of being busier at work this week, I have not been feeling overly well - I am still feeling quite meh. So I am gonna drop this here. Fugu the gumdrop is doing very well.

• Like 1

I've got dandruf, and have been itching a lot as a result. I'm alergic to head and shoulders, so I have been trying a couple different types, Nizorol and Denorex. think the latter works the best. But still, ew! dandruf!! I have had a lot of insomnia due to work in the building, I had a near 3day stretch of no sleep...the worst I had was 64 hours.

So, checked the frag tank, and the mysid shrimp population is sticking in there. I have the rocks in the AC110 and they seem to be thriving, I have also seen shrimpy swimming around inside the frag tank - around the frags. I now have two populations. Right now I easily see 25 large adults in the corner of the tank. its fun when I scrape the glass becasue they scoot off with the shavings. I feel bad for them that they are getting eaten, but really, I think my little lovely will benefit from having them.

fishfreak0114

It looks so great! Is the second to last pic a St.Thomas mushroom? I really want one of those :) I saw one on canada corals a while ago.