ReefCleaners.org

Sunstar's Nemesis III - March 2019 - looking... mature...

Sunstar

Wife wants another firefish after we lost ours. That and a tailspot blenny. Though if I did get another firefish I think I may spring for the helfrichi fire fish. Pretty cool on cutting down that tank. Never seen anyone do that before. I've drilled plenty but never cut an assembled one. Nice work!

• Like 1

It was tricky, but I am used to working with glass. Drilling would scare me :P

Mum also has a glass cutting bandsaw too

I've never drilled a fish tank but i've drilled a dozen or so vivariums for dart frogs. I've only used the crappy little hand wheels for cutting glass. That tool you had was pretty neat. I've thankfully never broken one yet though time will tell. I still have the same bit. I might try drilling a old 10gal just for shoots n giggles and see what happens.

I've never drilled a fish tank but i've drilled a dozen or so vivariums for dart frogs. I've only used the crappy little hand wheels for cutting glass. That tool you had was pretty neat. I've thankfully never broken one yet though time will tell. I still have the same bit. I might try drilling a old 10gal just for shoots n giggles and see what happens.

I NEED to drill a bit of black glass when I cut the tank down.

What i am doing is an AIO type peninsula frag tank. so I need to get a small pump - I want something similar to what is in my fusion, I will want a seal thing, pipe.... basically based off my AIO but done with glass. I will make teeth in one side as the over flow with a glass cutting bandsaw..

As soon as things are replaced, I will transfer over

My ATO, Skimmer and ofcourse light. My Nano box will be arriving in a couple weeks.

On another note, boy am I tired. I had to unload a truck tonight

• Like 1

On another note, boy am I tired. I had to unload a truck tonight

Man I hear ya, so tired and sore. We had our first train of crude oil this winter and it's been nothing but problems with our poorly designed facility. Steam system doesn't operate correctly and we have been having trouble getting it offloaded and sht freezing on us in theis 7f degree weather. Usually unloading 120 railcars takes about a day. We've been working back to back 16 hour shifts since thurs and will be for a few more days at this rate. I'm hallucinating steam rolling around me.

crude oil. I take that it swears a lot and has bad habits, such as wearing its underwear on its head, chewing with its mouth open and burping :P

We're really cold here too.... froze my rumpus off .

• Like 1

I am feeling very sad.

I come home and I am looking into the reef tank that I spill my love - and money, into. I realise now that there are two types of people when it comes to reefing. Some that simply want to add water and go, and those who want to learn every aspect of the situation and who really care.

I don't understand people who get things and are so "disposable" about it, like the lives in our care do not matter.

I guess I love learning stuff and feel a deep fascination with how and why things do what they do. to me learning what I need to learn to better benefit the care of my creatures, as well as gain deeper insight into the mysteries of the oceanic realm.

I am glad I am me.

• Like 2

I "sumpped" three of my hermit crabs.

My mantis shrimp died - I think she was still struggling with that moult, her back looked strange and she kept swimming on her back for a couple weeks. I can't begin to guess what the issue was.

There is a lot of bryopsis and whatnot for the hermits to munch happily. I left the scarlet legged and smallest blue legged in the Nano.

I don't know why the firefish died so fast, I speculated that maybe stress from getting home, or some other undiagnosed issue. I was told by another fellow aquarist Hallowe'ens are known to kill small fish. My hermits are NOT above suspicion in this event.

I have observed as soon as a new frag or anything enters the water they go nuts looking for it. Not sure if its a smell, but they must go find it and then pick it clean. I know as soon as the fish entered the water, I observed this activity.

I love my hermits and they are amazing CUC. I find them reliable as lawn mowers. soemtimes I get algae on my frag plugs, I just put the plug where htey can get at it and in an hour or two its clear. SO maybe they were very hungry. I may see an increase in algae now I removed 3 of the 5. When I get my frag tank setup, I will keep them in there as my CUC because I know htey'll get the job done.

• Like 1

I might have got another sashimi.... It was the last one left and it was a tough nut to bag. Could be the survival of teh fittest. the one I got last week was possibly one of the first - slowest? Maybe least healthy? This one kept trying to jump out the water as it was being bagged. As I said, I "sumpped" three of my largest hermits. - one's who's specie appears to be known for fish murder. Yeah crab, I am watching you...

I also got some zoas. One was a tiny frag of something, and the other appears to be a collection of lose run away heads - that might be several morphs.A few are opened since they went in.

• Like 1

I am hoping this does not kill my hydor, but I have it on a timer. I have it so it turns off while i am at home, turns on while i am at work, then turns on and off every half hour late at night.

The fish really does not lilke my powerhead. It also does not seem to like me either. it still is alive.

I got more RODI line :3 I can now reach the kitchen without closing the fridge off for the duration of my activities, AND I got egg crate, so Frag tank project is underway

• Like 1

I will try to get some tomorrow when my tablet is charged.

I'll need to wipe the droplets off the glass too. Did the WC of the week, and rotated all tank water. I am waiting on the QT as I did FWE again this wee.

Okay, 11:32 and time to describe my bluefish experience.

To start, the postie was very late. But I got it.

Then came the fiasco which was my inability to understand instructions. (and clearly to spell tonight) I am still not sure what the sensor is on the imp card, but it took an armload of tries, to finally get it to operate. the clincher being - legacy.

Next came what appeared to be faults of my tablet. for whatever reason it seemed the tablet was not optimised for this program - for vice versa. I had, while in portrait mode, half the stuff cut off. While in landscape, it was all smushed on one side. ALso I don't seem to have the slider bar things.

I am seeing colours that I have not seen in a good long while, my dragon soul looked more gold at one point - that was how I bought it, than green. Very pleased.

It is a beautiful light, very elegant. If my only complaint is the silence of the fan. It actually has a high pitched whirr, that I am sensitive to. This is me, not a fault though of the equipment, even at my age, I can still hear a dog whistle being blown...

Now I see spots... things are looking nice.

I am set to Durban south africa.

Crappy tablet pics but:

My first Ever top down shot:

e2ac2751-2bd4-4919-a997-885b66a30ef8.jpg

6baaa7f2-f111-4cef-9530-6e4cf01a4239.jpg

1fdc7b88-b2a7-41b5-9f77-b7d9f594a8ed.jpg

• Like 3

That anemone, that is in the eggcup has started to really puff up today.

I also had my first "naturally" occurring thunderstorm this afternoon. Seemed as if my lights were dimmer. Not sure how that works though. It was really quite cool :3

20160226_141809.jpg

• Like 1

If you have your clouds and storm settings on, than based on your location chosen to simulate, if it's cloudy or stormy there, then your lights will simulate what us happening there. Hence, your lights will be a little dimmer.

If you have your clouds and storm settings on, than based on your location chosen to simulate, if it's cloudy or stormy there, then your lights will simulate what us happening there. Hence, your lights will be a little dimmer.

Do they power up and down? because that was what I was experiancing, lights would dim breifly then go up to bright, then dim down again. sort of like passage of clouds.

The new light looks great! Everything looks very healthy :)

Yes, I am pleased with how everything looks. I gotta scrape my glass tomorrow night, its FTS day.

Oh incoming Photo dump.

• Like 1

If you can identify the names of any of the corals here (mostly the zoas I know what the big things are, please let me know. But I did not adjust colour for any

20160227_121816.jpg

20160227_121757.jpg

20160227_121752.jpg

20160227_121702.jpg

20160227_121648.jpg

20160227_121628.jpg

20160227_121601.jpg

20160227_121545.jpg

20160227_121530.jpg

20160227_121516.jpg

20160227_121502.jpg

20160227_121436.jpg