Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Zorak.

pgrVII

Can we get rid of those pots and hide the egg crate? We also need some moss for that driftwood.

Looks like you're enjoying this build. I'm glad you are. :)

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pgrVII

• gena

• Slowtwitch

• Merthynia

No,there can't be substrate in chameleon enclosures unfortunately due to impaction issues. I have some river stone soaking in a bucket to fill the gaps in for over the egg crate though :)

I like the moss too but again can't chance impactions.

• Like 1

Damn. Would you build me a house?

i'll see what we can do my friend,i need a crown put on so maybe we can work something out lol.

That lizard has fancy digs!!!

Thanks miss kat. Hope you are well :)

I'll be adding some more plants tomorrow, an orchid is needed,something bright blue

• Like 3

No,there can't be substrate in chameleon enclosures unfortunately due to impaction issues. I have some river stone soaking in a bucket to fill the gaps in for over the egg crate though :)

I'm sorry. I don't follow. What do you mean by impactions? Do they have sensitive feet or something?

What is an impaction? Google isn't helping :(

I'm sorry. I don't follow. What do you mean by impactions? Do they have sensitive feet or something?

What is an impaction? Google isn't helping :(

Meaning particles of substrate can get impacted in their digestive tract and kill them. Otherwise I'd have planted the plants in soil in the cage. Also,with the amount of water I have running in the tank it can make for a moldy situation with substrate. Chameleons are aboreal,so substrate isn't really a needed thing.

They eat by shooting a sticky tongue at food so they could accidently get soil or coconut shavings caught on their tongue and ingest it

• Like 2

They eat by shooting a sticky tongue at food so they could accidently get soil or coconut shavings caught on their tongue and ingest it

They must have zero jungle street cred!

:P

• Like 3

Well guys I'm finally finished :)

20150820_205229_zpsuh1tyj9j.jpg

:wub:

Very nicely done! Is the mist king on a timer? How long are your misting intervals? AJ is smaller than I thought!

LOL....I totally understood the impaction talk. That's a worry with cresties too :).

• Like 3

:wub:Very nicely done! Is the mist king on a timer? How long are your misting intervals? AJ is smaller than I thought!LOL....I totally understood the impaction talk. That's a worry with cresties too :).

Well of course the crested princess understood ;)

The mist king runs on a timer that comes with it,you can program 8 intervals a day and have different settings each day of the week.

Right now I have it for 700-703am,1200-1203pm 500,503pm,730-733pm and 900-903 pm. Monday through sunday.

Now I gotta see if I can return the fogger since I don't need it really,the mist creates a decent fog in the cage.

Tomorrow I'll add a hybrid blue orchid and a few more bermiliad

• Like 3

Well of course the crested princess understood ;)

The mist king runs on a timer that comes with it,you can program 8 intervals a day and have different settings each day of the week.

Right now I have it for 700-703am,1200-1203pm 500,503pm,730-733pm and 900-903 pm. Monday through sunday.

Now I gotta see if I can return the fogger since I don't need it really,the mist creates a decent fog in the cage.

Tomorrow I'll add a hybrid blue orchid and a few more bermiliad

Nice! That mister is going to make your life so much easier :). That whole setup is a dream! Can't wait to see the orchid!!!!

• Like 2

Nice! That mister is going to make your life so much easier :). That whole setup is a dream! Can't wait to see the orchid!!!!

It was a fair bit of work for sure,but worth it. Yes the orchid will be nice and add a bit of pop to the enclosure,thinking of removing the Petra for a pothos plant or possibly hibiscus even

And thanks Gena! The auto mister is awesome,no need for showers now for him,also,the enclosure is on casters so I can wheel it to the back door and open the slider to allow fresh air and sun in on him when its nice out :)

• Like 3

It was a fair bit of work for sure,but worth it. Yes the orchid will be nice and add a bit of pop to the enclosure,thinking of removing the Petra for a pothos plant or possibly hibiscus even

One thing I hated with live plants were the little bugs. Will AJ eat any bugs that might HH in with the plants? I had a pothos...I liked how it would vine in the cage. I bet it'd do REALLY well in that enclosure.
  • Like 1

One thing I hated with live plants were the little bugs. Will AJ eat any bugs that might HH in with the plants? I had a pothos...I liked how it would vine in the cage. I bet it'd do REALLY well in that enclosure.

I wash all my plants really carefully in dawn soap and repot immediately in organic soil so I haven't noticed any little bugs yets. I don't know the pesticides they use so everything gets that treatment immediately. He probably would though,chameleons will eat smaller lizards, small birds,insects anything that moves and can fit in their mouth really lol

• Like 1

I wash all my plants really carefully in dawn soap and repot immediately in organic soil so I haven't noticed any little bugs yets. I don't know the pesticides they use so everything gets that treatment immediately. He probably would though,chameleons will eat smaller lizards, small birds,insects anything that moves and can fit in their mouth really lol

I can't remember if I repotted. I don't think I did. I didn't have any bugs for a year and then suddenly they showed up and that's when I removed the plants. I didn't want to deal with bugs. But I bet just repotting them if bugs show up would work great!
  • Like 1

I can't remember if I repotted. I don't think I did. I didn't have any bugs for a year and then suddenly they showed up and that's when I removed the plants. I didn't want to deal with bugs. But I bet just repotting them if bugs show up would work great!

Yea prob in the soil they are who knows though,this cage is so big I wouldn't notice now lol.

Also,check out phoenix worms :) I'm ordering 200 tomorrow.

So loaded with calcium no need to supplement.

Also,I forgot to mention I have a desk fan on a timer hooked up next to the cage,set to run 15 minutes every hour to simulate the mountain breeze he'd get in nature ;)

• Like 1

I still vote for a pink tub. :)

Haha as expected miss kat. I won't need to shower him now though the mist king owns on that front.

Hahaha, he is ####### cool!

Thanks sir Jack,yea he's a badass

• Like 1

Yea prob in the soil they are who knows though,this cage is so big I wouldn't notice now lol.

Also,check out phoenix worms :) I'm ordering 200 tomorrow.

So loaded with calcium no need to supplement.

Also,I forgot to mention I have a desk fan on a timer hooked up next to the cage,set to run 15 minutes every hour to simulate the mountain breeze he'd get in nature ;)

I will check them out! Last night I hand-fed roaches (with tweezers) and each gecko grabbed them right off the tweezers. They LOVED them! Gosh this is sooo much better than crickets! I will definitely check out the phoenix worms. Not having to supplement calcium would be great! Last night I almost forgot to dust the roaches!

Awwww...that's awesome that you are simulating a mountain breeze for him :wub:.

• Like 2