Cultivated Reef

The Pastel Garden: Drop-Off

gena

are you starting new thread?

I wasn't planning to. I'm tired of starting new threads :lol:. I'll just update the first page with directions to where the new build page starts :).

The good thing is you went out & tried something, found out you could do it, witnessed births & that's awesome. But like you said, you know your limits.

Yep! Found out I could do it and really enjoyed it for quite a while :). I'm glad we kept our two originals though. They are more a part of the family than any of the others I let go.

Today is tank stand making day :happydance:. We are headed to Lowe's soon to pick up supplies. I'll take photos of the progress. I will not be a tank stand tease :lol:.

• Like 6

I wasn't planning to. I'm tired of starting new threads :lol:. I'll just update the first page with directions to where the new build page starts :).

Yep! Found out I could do it and really enjoyed it for quite a while :). I'm glad we kept our two originals though. They are more a part of the family than any of the others I let go.

Today is tank stand making day :happydance:. We are headed to Lowe's soon to pick up supplies. I'll take photos of the progress. I will not be a tank stand tease :lol:.

:lol: Good luck!

• Like 1

I hope the stand building went well! Can't wait to start seeing upgrade photos!

And wow! That was a huge decision about the geckos. I'm like that too, when I make up my mind, I act right away. I completely understand how you could be burned out. With most hobbies, when people get busy or tired they can just not do anything with their hobby for as long as they'd like. However, with keeping animals, its not just a hobby but a responsibility. Even if you're tired or busy, you still have to care for the animals, and that can really burn you out. That's exactly why I've learned that I cannot keep two reef aquariums. I'm sure being back to just your original two geckos will be a relief. That way you can just enjoy them instead of it being like work!

• Like 1

Tanks stand building is still in progress. Got most done today. Still need to do wood filler, sand, prime, paint, and seal. Plus more sanding in between those things. I want to get a perfectly smooth and glossy finish :).

Here's some photos...I promised I wouldn't be a tank stand tease :lol:.

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-25%20at%203.23.3

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-25%20at%203.24.1

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-25%20at%203.24.0

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-25%20at%203.24.3

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-25%20at%203.24.5

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-25%20at%203.25.0

If you believe I actually did any of the work..you are so wrong LOL. I sat out there for support. I did do some gluing...but was just posing with the nail gun. My husband said I look like a tool girl :lol:.

It went pretty well over all. Simple to make really. I can't wait to start putting the pretty stuff on it :).

I hope the stand building went well! Can't wait to start seeing upgrade photos!

And wow! That was a huge decision about the geckos. I'm like that too, when I make up my mind, I act right away. I completely understand how you could be burned out. With most hobbies, when people get busy or tired they can just not do anything with their hobby for as long as they'd like. However, with keeping animals, its not just a hobby but a responsibility. Even if you're tired or busy, you still have to care for the animals, and that can really burn you out. That's exactly why I've learned that I cannot keep two reef aquariums. I'm sure being back to just your original two geckos will be a relief. That way you can just enjoy them instead of it being like work!

I had to plan my afternoon around the geckos. It got really old at the end. And you're right...even if you are too tired you can't say oh well, forget them. You have to keep going. I made the best decision when I decided to give them up. So glad I still have the two though :).
  • Like 18

Tanks stand building is still in progress. Got most done today. Still need to do wood filler, sand, prime, paint, and seal. Plus more sanding in between those things. I want to get a perfectly smooth and glossy finish :).

Here's some photos...I promised I wouldn't be a tank stand tease :lol:.

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-25%20at%203.23.3

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-25%20at%203.24.1

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-25%20at%203.24.0

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-25%20at%203.24.3

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-25%20at%203.24.5

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-25%20at%203.25.0

If you believe I actually did any of the work..you are so wrong LOL. I sat out there for support. I did do some gluing...but was just posing with the nail gun. My husband said I look like a tool girl :lol:.

It went pretty well over all. Simple to make really. I can't wait to start putting the pretty stuff on it :).

I had to plan my afternoon around the geckos. It got really old at the end. And you're right...even if you are too tired you can't say oh well, forget them. You have to keep going. I made the best decision when I decided to give them up. So glad I still have the two though :).

:wub:

• Like 3

The stand looks awesome so far! I like how sleek and simple it is. Also, you're too funny posing with the tools and the stand. Too cute, Gena :)

Hahaha...just having a little fun. I love watching him build things. I used to watch my dad build stuff as a kid too. I find it fascinating!

Just pulled the stand out of the garage, to the back porch, and will start making it pretty today :happydance:. Unfortunately it's supposed to be 104 or something like that today :lol:. And super dry so that's good for getting things to dry fast!

• Like 2

So it's way too hot outside today to be working on the stand. But I did manage to get the wood putty on it. I'll sand when it gets a little cooler. I want to take my time with this so I do a great job. Rushing isn't necessary for that reason and the fact that I can't set the tank up yet anyways!

Here's a sneak peek of the rock scape I came up with. I'm not connecting the top level with the bottom level with rock. Instead I loved the look of an overhang much more. This is how it will stay unless I can't fit my existing rock and corals in with it this way. I think it's going to work though. I had a hard time finding the right white color to match the tank and the stand together. I decided to go with straight-up white. The color seems to be in-between the two samples I have up there but I'm gonna just go with the brighter white color.

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-26%20at%203.34.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-26%20at%203.35.1

• Like 13

So it's way too hot outside today to be working on the stand. But I did manage to get the wood putty on it. I'll sand when it gets a little cooler. I want to take my time with this so I do a great job. Rushing isn't necessary for that reason and the fact that I can't set the tank up yet anyways!Here's a sneak peek of the rock scape I came up with. I'm not connecting the top level with the bottom level with rock. Instead I loved the look of an overhang much more. This is how it will stay unless I can't fit my existing rock and corals in with it this way. I think it's going to work though. I had a hard time finding the right white color to match the tank and the stand together. I decided to go with straight-up white. The color seems to be in-between the two samples I have up there but I'm gonna just go with the brighter white color.Screen%20Shot%202016-09-26%20at%203.34.4Screen%20Shot%202016-09-26%20at%203.35.1

Love the look of this tank......can't wait to see it once it's G'd out!

• Like 1

I was just teasing. You looked super cute with the stand. I'm jealous you have someone to help build your own stands. I'd love to build my own but I don't have a garage or anything to work in. I figure building a stand in the middle of my living room would be a mess :lol:

It is sooooo hot! Its been in the 90's here and we don't have air conditioning. Poor Lily has been melting and my aquarium heater controller alarm was going off when I got home from work because the tank was at 83 degrees. I threw in a couple ice packs to get it cooled back down and luckily its cooled off outside now for the night and I have all the windows open. Tomorrow its supposed to be down to 78 and then cool back down into the low 70's after that. I'm so ready for it to be fall and be chilly!

Scape looks great so far. I like the overhang look. I'm excited to see how you place everything and how it all comes together. This is such a fascinating build because its such a different shape of aquarium.

• Like 1

Love the look of this tank......can't wait to see it once it's G'd out!

Me too :happydance:

I was just teasing. You looked super cute with the stand. I'm jealous you have someone to help build your own stands. I'd love to build my own but I don't have a garage or anything to work in. I figure building a stand in the middle of my living room would be a mess :lol:

It is sooooo hot! Its been in the 90's here and we don't have air conditioning. Poor Lily has been melting and my aquarium heater controller alarm was going off when I got home from work because the tank was at 83 degrees. I threw in a couple ice packs to get it cooled back down and luckily its cooled off outside now for the night and I have all the windows open. Tomorrow its supposed to be down to 78 and then cool back down into the low 70's after that. I'm so ready for it to be fall and be chilly!

Scape looks great so far. I like the overhang look. I'm excited to see how you place everything and how it all comes together. This is such a fascinating build because its such a different shape of aquarium.

Wow...that's hot for you guys! It was ridiculous yesterday. Today is still in the 90s and then dropping down everyday and 70s this weekend :happydance:.

Thanks!!! I really like the scape so far. It will look better filled of course :).

I changed the title of my thread since technically my build has started now omgomgomg.

Doing more sanding today. It looks sooooo good..even without any paint yet. I love a column shaped stand!!!!

• Like 3

ugh, i want one!!!

i actually saw this tank like 2 days after i re-ordered the fusion 20 when we got our insurance settlement for the move damages and i was like, "ohhhhh look at this!!" and my dude was just like, "didn't you order the tank TWO DAYS ago you dummy??" (like, in a nice way...haha)

• Like 2

ugh, i want one!!!

i actually saw this tank like 2 days after i re-ordered the fusion 20 when we got our insurance settlement for the move damages and i was like, "ohhhhh look at this!!" and my dude was just like, "didn't you order the tank TWO DAYS ago you dummy??" (like, in a nice way...haha)

Awww...darn!!!! I'd love to have more company with one of these tanks!!!!!!

Did more stand work today. Did more sanding and got the primer on. Tomorrow I'll sand that down and put the first coat of paint on :happydance:. I picked up my paint today. Lovely white :).

Primed tank stand almost ready to go.....

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-27%20at%203.54.3

• Like 6

It's going to be just as pretty as all your tank stands for sure!

Thanks, Annette!!! I'm going to try to get a really nice finish on it. I hate painting so that might be a little difficult LOL. But I'll do the best I can do :).