Top Shelf Aquatics

The Pastel Garden: Drop-Off

gena

What a weekend omgomgomg. Met some amazing people and got to see my reefer bestie again (Felicia). It was a ton of fun. The hotel was everything you read about and more....but we survived LOL. So glad to be home. Got in around 2pm today and haven't had a chance to sit down until now! I got to hang out with the coolest group of people this weekend!!! The show was awesome. Got some freebies and made some purchases.

The freebies:

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-11%20at%209.21.2

I have to say if you need to purchase things for your tank...the guys at Marine Depot are the best of the best. You just can't go wrong with them. Super nice, very helpful, and they always have what you need or can get it soon enough. I got my new tank from them this weekend omgomgomg

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-11%20at%209.54.3

Got an amazing deal on this tank! It's the IM Concept panorama drop-off. Here it is sitting in my living room:

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-11%20at%209.21.4

Came with the rock (in the little box being inspected) so I won't need to even purchase more rock.

I also got the two corals I set out to find:

pink hippos

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-11%20at%209.20.0

Long polyp toadstool:

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-11%20at%209.20.3

Felicia and I got twin long polyp toadstools from a display tank..I forget who had them. Maybe the Ecosmart guys.

Got home and first thing I had to do was take care of this. I promised Merthy I'd post a photo of the Macna babies:

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-11%20at%209.22.2

It was a super fun and exhausting weekend. Hopefully Felicia is home now. I know Merthy made it. Really enjoyed hanging with my nano-reef peeps this weekend. I have more pics but I'll post those tomorrow :).

• Like 13

New tank! Nice of them to come with the rocks too.

New tank omgomgomg

:D

Yep...that's CaribSea Life Rock. Sounds like good stuff! Felicia and I got stuck listening to the whole spiel about it at the CaribSea booth LOL. The guy was super nice though :). I wanted to know more about the rock, so we stopped to ask. We learned a ton LOL.

Ok....more about the weekend.

I pretty much didn't see my husband and son much LOL. They were off hunting down buttons and checking things out on their own LOL. They actually had a ton of fun! They went to the mall to meet up with some friends of ours. I never even made it to the mall omgomgomg. They picked up freebies at the show, I never even saw..nice having extra sets of eyes on the floor. AND....they really wanted to win one of the jellyfish tanks. Like they were going on and on about missing the drawing on Sunday (had to be there to win). I was really suprised. AND..they also signed up to win the giant tank Marine Depot was raffling. I asked them what they are going to do with this giant tank if they win....they just smiled. Luckily they didn't win it LOL. So I was really happy that they had some fun!

I don't know if I'm a good mom or a bad mom, but I let my son stay home from school today to recuperate :unsure:. I told my husband I'd call him sick in too if he wanted LOL. I was kidding of course.

I really didn't grab too many photos because I was just so busy talking and listening and checking things out. I had planned to get so much more...sorry!

We got into San Diego Friday night after the buses left for the Broadway Pier reception. So we just took an Uber down there. It's fleet week in San Diego so there were tons of Navy boys around :happy:. First people I met at the pier were Merthynia and Sancho! They greeted us at the gate :wub:. Food was good..seafood dishes for the most part. It was a fun night!

First day at the show. This was Saturday morning. They had these cool stickers lining the wall:

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-11%20at%2010.58.

This was at the opening of the hallway that led to the exhibit floor.

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-11%20at%2011.02.

I have nothing to compare it to, but the convention hall seemed nice enough.

Felicia really wanted to do the props photo booth at the Reefs.com exhibit. She also was interviewed and videotaped for a podcast which was really awesome. She's a big-time celebrity at these things :bowdown:

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-11%20at%2011.02.

I waited for her while she did her interview:

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-12%20at%208.17.3

Finally picked up my copy of her featured magazine!

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-11%20at%209.20.4

And this was after the banquet and after-party on Saturday. Such a sweet girl!!! Me and my merthy:

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-11%20at%2010.35.

• Like 10
Christopher Marks

That's awesome you were able to get a deal on the IM Concept tank! I saw some nice displays using them at the show, Digital Aquatics had two particularly great IM Concept demonstration systems. I can't wait to see what you do with yours!

It was so nice meeting you and your family at MACNA, thanks for hanging out with us! Your husband and son are great sports about all this, it's great they could tag along! It sounds like maybe they need a jellyfish tank in their life :D Weren't those so cool?

• Like 4

That's awesome you were able to get a deal on the IM Concept tank! I saw some nice displays using them at the show, Digital Aquatics had two particularly great IM Concept demonstration systems. I can't wait to see what you do with yours!

It was so nice meeting you and your family at MACNA, thanks for hanging out with us! Your husband and son are great sports about all this, it's great they could tag along! It sounds like maybe they need a jellyfish tank in their life :D Weren't those so cool?

I know omgomgomg. It was like fate that they had the tank there and were willing to sell it to me on the spot! The Atoll had sold within two hours of the show opening...so this one was just waiting for me :). Too bad I can't set it up today! Still have to make the stand and paint my living room before I do all of that. But it will be fun to imagine my new aquascape and where I'll place everything! I read you may go to RAP in OC this November? I just may have to make that trip down there! I regret not picking up a pink gorgonian this past weekend and maybe I can snag one there...and then bonus...get to see you and your lovely wife again. We really enjoyed meeting you and getting to know you!!!

Yeah, they really wanted that jellyfish tank. I could only shake my head at them LOL. The thing is, if they did win, I'd be the one taking care of it LOL. But maybe not. Maybe it could be a gateway for them to bigger and better things :D. Although the jellyfish tanks are pretty darn cool!!!!

• Like 4
Christopher Marks

Yeah I was impressed with the jellyfish tanks, more than I expected. They make it seem so simple!

I'm going to try to make it to R-A-P this year if my schedule works out, Courtney already has photoshoots booked those days, but her other assistants should be able to handle it. Fingers crossed!

• Like 3

Yeah I was impressed with the jellyfish tanks, more than I expected. They make it seem so simple!

I'm going to try to make it to R-A-P this year if my schedule works out, Courtney already has photoshoots booked those days, but her other assistants should be able to handle it. Fingers crossed!

I'll have to watch and see if you post up that you are going. If so, I'll try extra hard to make it there :). I'm following Courtney on Instagram now :). I saw her waffle photo! We actually had pretty good waffles at the Terrace Cafe right on the hotel site. The food and employees really saved my opinion of the whole resort. They/it was wonderful. Cleaning staff needs some talking to LOL.

Forgot a couple of other photos.

Love these two!!! So envious of yoshii and her career path. Sounds so interesting. I know she will be so successful and I do expect to see her winning Aquarist of the Year one day at MACNA!!!!!!

The three musketeer-ettes:

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-12%20at%2012.15.

• Like 10

I'm so glad I got to meet you and your family! It's great that your son and hubby enjoyed themselves so much! Perhaps they'll be more interested in the hobby and you'll have a family of reefers soon! :lol: You guys got some great loot and I love the coral you picked up, hopefully those pink hippos multiply quick. The gecko babies are adorable btw. I hope you all come to next years MACNA!

• Like 2

I'm so glad I got to meet you and your family! It's great that your son and hubby enjoyed themselves so much! Perhaps they'll be more interested in the hobby and you'll have a family of reefers soon! :lol: You guys got some great loot and I love the coral you picked up, hopefully those pink hippos multiply quick. The gecko babies are adorable btw. I hope you all come to next years MACNA!

Are you planning to go to it next year? I would love to but I know it won't happen. Hopefully there will be another closer to me again before too long. Maybe San Francisco! or better yet, LA!!!! I would only do the reasonable driving distance shows.
  • Like 2

Are you planning to go to it next year? I would love to but I know it won't happen. Hopefully there will be another closer to me again before too long. Maybe San Francisco! or better yet, LA!!!! I would only do the reasonable driving distance shows.

Yep, I think we are planning on driving the whole way next year. :lol:

• Like 2

San Francisco would be awesome! My sister lives near and I go alot. It would be pretty cool to have it by fishermen wharf.

I still haven't been to San Francisco...and have lived here 13 years! I would totally do the road trip if it was up there.

It would be a heck of a roadtrip for sure!! I think the best LFS I've ever been to was in St. Louis, too bad that wouldn't be on the way! :lol:

I was exhausted from this past weekend. I can't even imagine how i'd feel after that! :lol:
  • Like 1

I still haven't been to San Francisco...and have lived here 13 years! I would totally do the road trip if it was up there.

I was exhausted from this past weekend. I can't even imagine how i'd feel after that! :lol:

You and me both! Driving 5 hours was exhausting enough. I'm thinking that we will be switching who drives back and forth on the way to the next one!

• Like 1

I'll have to watch and see if you post up that you are going. If so, I'll try extra hard to make it there :). I'm following Courtney on Instagram now :). I saw her waffle photo! We actually had pretty good waffles at the Terrace Cafe right on the hotel site. The food and employees really saved my opinion of the whole resort. They/it was wonderful. Cleaning staff needs some talking to LOL.

Forgot a couple of other photos.

Love these two!!! So envious of yoshii and her career path. Sounds so interesting. I know she will be so successful and I do expect to see her winning Aquarist of the Year one day at MACNA!!!!!!

The three musketeer-ettes:

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-12%20at%2012.15.

Look at the pretty ladies!!!

• Like 1

I have to say if you need to purchase things for your tank...the guys at Marine Depot are the best of the best. You just can't go wrong with them. Super nice, very helpful, and they always have what you need or can get it soon enough. I got my new tank from them this weekend omgomgomg

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-11%20at%209.54.3

Glad to help and good luck with the new tank! It was a pleasure meeting you and I look forward to seeing this Concept Tank all set up and full of coral!

-Robert @ MD

• Like 5

Glad to help and good luck with the new tank! It was a pleasure meeting you and I look forward to seeing this Concept Tank all set up and full of coral!

-Robert @ MD

Hello, Robert! So cool to meet you this weekend. I ordered the white Prime from you today. Still says Out of Stock but I think ETA was 2-3 business days which is fine for me since I won't be setting this up for 2 or 3 weeks! Which is killing me because I can't wait to get it running :lol:. I hope you are able to follow along with my tank's progress :happydance:. And hopefully I'll do this tank justice!
  • Like 1

Hello, Robert! So cool to meet you this weekend. I ordered the white Prime from you today. Still says Out of Stock but I think ETA was 2-3 business days which is fine for me since I won't be setting this up for 2 or 3 weeks! Which is killing me because I can't wait to get it running :lol:. I hope you are able to follow along with my tank's progress :happydance:. And hopefully I'll do this tank justice!

Thanks for the order! We are expecting the new Prime HD very soon and we will shoot you an email when it ships. I have followed the thread and I am excited to see where this goes. Ping me anytime if you have questions or just want to talk tank.

:flower: Take care and happy reefkeeping!

-Robert @ MD

• Like 1

Thanks for the order! We are expecting the new Prime HD very soon and we will shoot you an email when it ships. I have followed the thread and I am excited to see where this goes. Ping me anytime if you have questions or just want to talk tank.

:flower: Take care and happy reefkeeping!

-Robert @ MD

Awesome..thank you :flower:
  • Like 1

O my Gena, it sounds like you had such a great time! I am jealous but very happy for you.

Thanks, Dawn! Not that I lost interest (don't think that's possible) but being at the show and listening to speakers, and feeling the energy and excitement of the hobby...kinda rekindled a bit of my enthusiasm. I think the geckos have been distracting me. Or maybe it's the fact that I have a new tank to set up LOL. But I'm back in the game 100% :). I hope I'm able to make it to Reefapalooza in November! There's a pink goniopora I want to see if I can find there. I saw them at MACNA and I am kicking myself for not picking one up. Plus hanging out with fellow reefers is just too much fun :).

• Like 4