Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Bad Hombre Cantina (yes I have a fish tank)

Sancho

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
14 minutes ago, spectra said:

Told you I had some for you......if you ever come get the tank......

lol how close do you guys actually live to each other???

1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

lol how close do you guys actually live to each other???

Its an hour drive maybe a little more. Not really that far.....

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
7 minutes ago, spectra said:

Its an hour drive maybe a little more. Not really that far.....

Oh nice 😀 that's why you always tell him to come over lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
righttirefire
14 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh nice 😀 that's why you always tell him to come over lol

No he doesnt. Hes got a closed door policy and i dont trust my shot into his house more than his shot out of his house. So a raid is unlikely

• Haha 3

There’s a local breeder that has an awesome collection of designer clownfish. Maybe I give her this mean ####er and get another pair that actually get along 😬 she sells them 2 for the price of 1 or just get another pair and let the battle begin 🤗

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Sancho said:

There’s a local breeder that has an awesome collection of designer clownfish. Maybe I give her this mean ####er and get another pair that actually get along 😬 she sells them 2 for the price of 1 or just get another pair and let the battle begin 🤗

Funny... I was thinking of getting a new pair of clowns this weekend... my LFS had posted the most beautiful pair of clowns I had ever seen... I was planning on separating and rehoming the clowns in my nuvo, as they don’t really seem interested in each other... but someone had already snatched up the clownfish pair from the LFS by the time I got there.

I cant find much info on saving a Spider Sponge that’s turning translucent like that... have you come across anything yet? 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Funny... I was thinking of getting a new pair of clowns this weekend... my LFS had posted the most beautiful pair of clowns I had ever seen... I was planning on separating and rehoming the clowns in my nuvo, as they don’t really seem interested in each other... but someone had already snatched up the clownfish pair from the LFS by the time I got there.

I cant find much info on saving a Spider Sponge that’s turning translucent like that... have you come across anything yet? 

I’m kinda pissed this one killed it’s partner, they were bred together both were juveniles they fought all the time till this one killed the other I don’t like just having a single clown it’s awesome when they pair up and get along. So I texted the breeder to see if get another preferably smaller juvenile...she hasn’t responded yet so will see.

No the google machine really had no good information on keeping the sponges....I was able to pick up some phytofeast today. Kinda bummed the live phytoplankton I was using is no longer available hopefully feeding the phytofeast helps it along....still debating cutting the bleached tip off though 

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, Sancho said:

Some day when I grow up and get a big girl tank I’m getting a pair that’s already bonded. I’m not doing this clown fishicide BS like this time.

• Haha 2
A Little Blue
35 minutes ago, Sancho said:

No the google machine really had no good information on keeping the sponges....I was able to pick up some phytofeast today. Kinda bummed the live phytoplankton I was using is no longer available hopefully feeding the phytofeast helps it along....still debating cutting the bleached tip off though 

Sancho, those sponges are near impossible to keep. My lfs with state-of-the-art filtration and all out Apex+3 DOS pumps can't keep those alive for more then 6 months. In fact, by 3th month they look like crap. Beautiful sponge but we haven't figured it out how to keep them alive yet. 

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Sancho, those sponges are near impossible to keep. My lfs with state-of-the-art filtration and all out Apex+3 DOS pumps can't keep those alive for more then 6 months. In fact, by 3th month they look like crap. Beautiful sponge but we haven't figured it out how to keep them alive yet. 

I agree, they do seem to be a challenge. Interestingly, mine looked like a goner for the first two months and the encrusting zoanthids wouldn’t open up, but I was glad I just stayed patient because about two months in it started opening, and seems to be doing well for now... time will tell how long it will last in my tank though. Here are a couple pics from last weekend:

27F2812B-A0EA-4272-A878-9D194BA86FA4.thumb.jpeg.66218b1a03617ad6e9124a9f4e98fa99.jpeg

5B8C7211-E645-4C0D-B975-8064F350B8F9.thumb.jpeg.634ba6294d0af0f6f095a2cb5e6a5061.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
A Little Blue

It has been a while since I had one (maybe 8-9 years ago). My spider looked better in my tank than in my lfs........for a while...... Don't remember exactly but I don't think they have made 6 month mark.

The decline was quite rapid. A lot have changed since then so who knows. With a little effort, it might become easier to keep them. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

It has been a while since I had one (maybe 8-9 years ago). My spider looked better in my tank than in my lfs........for a while...... Don't remember exactly but I don't think they have made 6 month mark.

The decline was quite rapid. A lot have changed since then so who knows. With a little effort, it might become easier to keep them. 

Yes and I think they are really a balancing act... you need to feed the sponge and keep it algae free, and feed the encrusting zoanthids without overfeeding them to the point that they overgrow and choke out the sponge. My system is heavily fed (and runs high in nitrates and phosphates), so it probably gets a pretty good amount of food, but the high nitrates and phosphates mean that algae can grow on it pretty readily... luckily my emeralds and stomatellas are pretty attentive to the algae so far. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
20 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Yes and I think they are really a balancing act... you need to feed the sponge and keep it algae free, and feed the encrusting zoanthids without overfeeding them to the point that they overgrow and choke out the sponge. My system is heavily fed (and runs high in nitrates and phosphates), so it probably gets a pretty good amount of food, but the high nitrates and phosphates mean that algae can grow on it pretty readily... luckily my emeralds and stomatellas are pretty attentive to the algae so far. 

Sounds like you’re on the right track. It would be nice to see someone keeping it for a little longer then sad statistics. Good luck. (I have no faith in Sancho so you’re on your own)

• Haha 3
20 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Sounds like you’re on the right track. It would be nice to see someone keeping it for a little longer then sad statistics. Good luck. (I have no faith in Sancho so you’re on your own)

:slap:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
21 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

I agree...it’s funny I was just at the LFS that sold me these frags, the big one they cut these frags from turned brown and died a couple days ago. Still willing to try to keep them though. Interested to see if other have success and share what they have leaned. @banasophia has kept hers and they look fantastic still but she feeds with a dump truck daily 😂 I just finally got my tank free of nuisance algae so I’m definitely not willing to increase my feeding..One thing I did notice though, was it really opened up and look awesome when I was feeding live phytoplankton. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
4 minutes ago, Sancho said:

I agree...it’s funny I was just at the LFS that sold me these frags, the big one they cut these frags from turned brown and died a couple days ago. Still willing to try to keep them though. Interested to see if other have success and share what they have leaned. @banasophia has kept hers and they look fantastic still but she feeds with a dump truck daily 😂 I just finally got my tank free of nuisance algae so I’m definitely not willing to increase my feeding..One thing I did notice though, was it really opened up and look awesome when I was feeding live phytoplankton. 

Live phytoplankton is fine. You can feed that daily if you like (I do). It’s beneficial in more than one way. But, if you have a choice between keeping a single coral by overfeeding your tank or keeping the nuisance crap out, The choice is clear. 

Also visited several LFS earlier today. 

Prices were ridiculous. Tanks neglected. Algae, Bryopsis, Cyano everywhere! What the f...... is going on??????

One of those 3 (my fav) is somewhat ok. 

The other two? Just sad. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

Live phytoplankton is fine. You can feed that daily if you like (I do). It’s beneficial in more than one way. But, if you have a choice between keeping a single coral by overfeeding your tank or keeping the nuisance crap out, The choice is clear. 

Prices were ridiculous. Tanks neglected. Algae, Bryopsis, Cyano everywhere! What the f...... is going on??????

The other two? Just sad. 

Yeah I was dosing live phytoplankton daily and had no ill effect on the tank. In fact every 

thing seemed to really look good while using it. The guy that was providing it to the LFS went MIA last week so I haven’t been able to get some since. 

Unfortunately the doom and gloom @StinkyBunny has been predicting is coming true. A few stores in my area no longer have new stock.....what they have they’re now claiming it’s Indo and have quadrupled the price....and the common stuff is now fetching a premium cause there is not much to choose from anymore.....hell I saw a basic $30 all day long GBTA with a $180 price tag on it. It’s sad 

• Wow 3
1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

The other two? Just sad. 

Yeah, something’s going on at two of my best LFSs right now too... same thing last weekend, tanks look like they’ve crashed - full of algae, briopsis, cyano, dino, and one tank was full of flatworms. I felt really bad for the guy buying his live rock there... that’s gonna be a battle.

This weekend one of the two LFSs had some gorgeous scolys that had just come in and I was tempted, but #1 they were $200😳 and #2 they wouldn’t be worth it even for free if they introduced all those pests. Plus... still need to research scolys to see if they would do okay in one of my tanks. Well, that and I really don’t have any more room in either tank haha. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Sancho said:

So I cut the tips off until I saw color again. 🤞

F7403512-0FCB-40ED-B960-D8FCDAD76A70.jpeg

Good idea... curious to see how it does. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Have you ever tried to culture your own phyto? I have the impression it’s not difficult. 

I’ve thought about it and I know a local guy that used to make his own cultures. I’d need to be able to offload it to locals though as I’m down to the one tank now

• Like 1