ReefCleaners.org

Bad Hombre Cantina (yes I have a fish tank)

Sancho

Tank is looking decent again  :happydance: Had a bout with dinoflagellates and some cyano. Did a few days no lights and a chemiclean treatment. Everything is looking good..it’s water change time 

FD7C1870-9454-4063-86A6-289DE420632D.jpeg

• Like 6

I was planning on spending a crap ton of cash at Reefapalooza but my water heater failed the week before and killed my coral budget  😞 I did pick up this really interesting green Kenya tree. I’m hoping it grows like a weed but I’ve not seen many of these so it’s probably a slow grower 🤷‍♂️

6505E6EE-F964-4688-8418-9DE92944CCAC.jpeg

• Like 7

@Sancho  Can I ask what your AI Prime HD light settings are and how do you perform your 90% water changes?  The most I've ever done is 50% at a time so I'm curious how you go about it without detrimental effects to your livestock.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, j.falk said:

@Sancho  Can I ask what your AI Prime HD light settings are and how do you perform your 90% water changes?  The most I've ever done is 50% at a time so I'm curious how you go about it without detrimental effects to your livestock.

My light settings are really basic 70% on the blues and UV, 10% red, green and white. 2 hour ramp on for 12 hours a day. 

Im doing large water changes because I feed daily and I have a decent bioload with 5 fish. I’m not running a skimmer and have very minimal filtration. I’m not using anything to control nitrates or excessive nutrients. I also prefer not to dose. I’m trying to keep this tank as simple as possible. With an established tank your beneficial bacteria are in the rocks sand and even in your filters and pumps. I find the 90% water changes help maintain calcium, magnesium and alkalinity levels and helps in removing all the poop 5 fish generate along with any excess nutrients. I fought for a long time with GHA in this tank and the large water changes really seemed to help get rid of the GHA. It’s been my my routine now for about 6 months and I’ve not seen any detrimental effects on any of my livestock. I do heat the water and match salinity as to not shock the fish though. 

Only downside I've seen doing the large regular water changes is that the dinoflagellates seem to like clean water and that’s also been a battle. However now when I notice a dino outbreak beginning I kill the lights for a few days and will put off a water change for awhile. 

29 minutes ago, Sancho said:

My light settings are really basic 70% on the blues and UV, 10% red, green and white. 2 hour ramp on for 12 hours a day. 

Im doing large water changes because I feed daily and I have a decent bioload with 5 fish. I’m not running a skimmer and have very minimal filtration. I’m not using anything to control nitrates or excessive nutrients. I also prefer not to dose. I’m trying to keep this tank as simple as possible. With an established tank your beneficial bacteria are in the rocks sand and even in your filters and pumps. I find the 90% water changes help maintain calcium, magnesium and alkalinity levels and helps in removing all the poop 5 fish generate along with any excess nutrients. I fought for a long time with GHA in this tank and the large water changes really seemed to help get rid of the GHA. It’s been my my routine now for about 6 months and I’ve not seen any detrimental effects on any of my livestock. I do heat the water and match salinity as to not shock the fish though. 

Only downside I've seen doing the large regular water changes is that the dinoflagellates seem to like clean water and that’s also been a battle. However now when I notice a dino outbreak beginning I kill the lights for a few days and will put off a water change for awhile. 

Thank you.  I might have to give the 90% water changes a try.  I'm having issues with Lynbyga cyano, hair algae, and red cyano in my 20 gallon tank and the setup is very close to how yours is built.  Appreciate the info.  👍

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
Just now, Sancho said:

For @FISHnChix just for you...tanks still chugging along...stupid nem decided to go on a walk 😞

image.jpg

Damn it looks good buddy!  Been aids free for a minute too!🍻🤙

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1