Pod Your Reef

StellaBlue's da Vinci Cube - RETIRED

ReefWeeds

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aiyayiyayi. Its a little badge that you stick on the glass,, it's painted with a detecting chemical which turns from yellow to green in the presence of ammonia.

yes, that

:lol: they make a gadget for everything anymore.

Well, I had a minor heart attack this AM when I found what I'm pretty sure is a flatworm on the glass. But, I believe it is an herbivore from what I can tell via research, but would love opinions. Sorry, photos kind of pixelated - as I was trying to capture it, one of the gobies ate it off the glass!

lFI3FI6.jpg

G3fFtvg.jpg

Yup! I'm paranoid. Not so much anymore, but the clowns love it.And for less than $7, why not? Worth that for peace of mind.

Guess I could use one of those right now for my cycling tank :).

Well, I had a minor heart attack this AM when I found what I'm pretty sure is a flatworm on the glass. But, I believe it is an herbivore from what I can tell via research, but would love opinions. Sorry, photos kind of pixelated - as I was trying to capture it, one of the gobies ate it off the glass!

lFI3FI6.jpg

G3fFtvg.jpg

An Acoel? I normally only see the colorful ones.

Looks harmless, but it looks like you took those photos with a potato :)

HAH! yeah, totally does! I suck at taking photos. I've been trying to figure out Jeff's DSLR for months and I really can't get good photos. and the iPhone SUCKS for closeup stuff.

jedimasterben

HAH! yeah, totally does! I suck at taking photos. I've been trying to figure out Jeff's DSLR for months and I really can't get good photos. and the iPhone SUCKS for closeup stuff.

Set the camera to aperture priority mode. Set the aperture as high as it will go (a low f number). Set ISO to auto. Make sure the images are saved as RAW and to use a good post-production software like Lightroom (by far the best, it also is ultra handy for keeping track of images, organizing, labeling, etc). You can set white balance to whatever you want, because shooting in RAW allows you to set the balance after taking the pic, which is really helpful. Then use these settings to take photos of your corals. If a coral is larger, it may require a smaller aperture (higher f number) to keep the whole thing in focus.

To shoot fish, set it to shutter priority mode, leave everything else as above, except instead of aperture, you change shutter speed, you want it set to 1/125.

If you need more help, there are some threads in the photography forum that can help out, or you can PM me. :)

Set the camera to aperture priority mode. Set the aperture as high as it will go (a low f number). Set ISO to auto. Make sure the images are saved as RAW and to use a good post-production software like Lightroom (by far the best, it also is ultra handy for keeping track of images, organizing, labeling, etc). You can set white balance to whatever you want, because shooting in RAW allows you to set the balance after taking the pic, which is really helpful. Then use these settings to take photos of your corals. If a coral is larger, it may require a smaller aperture (higher f number) to keep the whole thing in focus.

To shoot fish, set it to shutter priority mode, leave everything else as above, except instead of aperture, you change shutter speed, you want it set to 1/125.

If you need more help, there are some threads in the photography forum that can help out, or you can PM me. :)

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Great success, six months on its way to be mature, they grow up so fast

AND I still don't know what the heck I'm doing :)

6 month party!

My tank is 3 months old..... Just hasn't gotten wet yet. What kind of life is that?!

Hint: your corals will definitely not thrive without water.

Nanofreak79

Although my pictures suck, three days ago I set the white balance, that helped tremendously. I use AV mode or P on the dial. I only have a 50mm fixed right now. I have Lightroom to. It's nice cause you can export photo to Flickr easily. A tripod and and turning off flow is the way to go., now I just need to follow my own guidance. Google your camera and reef related photos, or how to's.

Although my pictures suck, three days ago I set the white balance, that helped tremendously. I use AV mode or P on the dial. I only have a 50mm fixed right now. I have Lightroom to. It's nice cause you can export photo to Flickr easily. A tripod and and turning off flow is the way to go., now I just need to follow my own guidance. Google your camera and reef related photos, or how to's.

Thanks NF!

Nanofreak79

I used a white cutting board to set balance, put in tank and adjusted as needed then saved in the manual white balance,

jedimasterben

I used a white cutting board to set balance, put in tank and adjusted as needed then saved in the manual white balance,

White balance does nothing for you since you use RAW and lightroom.

Do you have a name for your pet flatworm?

one of the cleaner gobies ate it when I was taking photos! Picked it right off the glass and swam off with it, shaking its head.

Archived