Pod Your Reef

StellaBlue's da Vinci Cube - RETIRED

ReefWeeds

Harry's grape is definitely nicer than the frag I have! I say go for that one!

Yes please! :wub:

I may have to find a way to mount it to the glass in my tank. Ceramic magnets seem to be the way to go. I'd be afraid I'd break it if it was permanently attached to the top of the rock.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HarryPotter

Harry's grape is definitely nicer than the frag I have! I say go for that one!

Yes please! :wub:

I may have to find a way to mount it to the glass in my tank. Ceramic magnets seem to be the way to go. I'd be afraid I'd break it if it was permanently attached to the top of the rock.

Mine are pretty small- as you can see they are like 3/4 inch diameter. Thanks though! These were my first attempt at SPS frags (pretty much accident LOL). I'll get pictures of the purple and green for you tomorrow.

I chipped some of them while working on the tank- little pieces the size of a few grains of rice.cnow they're almost like a quarter!

Only the purples become round though- the green (even though it's a 'cap) seems to be encrusting a bit!

I was up early for whatever reason and noticed my Darth Maul porites is really finally starting to color up. It was pretty bleached when I got it for whatever reason and it is finally getting that dark magenta with defined circles look.

tErO0L6.jpg

I really can't figure out the DSLR. I've tried, I suck at it and I've been bothering my other half to take photos with his fancy shamancy camera for a while BUT it hasn't happened yet. So you're stuck with iPhone pics.

Here's my current nemesis, which actually is starting to look quite pretty with the more intense lighting provided by the NanoBox.

poW5FAs.jpg

And my current favorite:

bs82nVN.jpg

I was worried the pavona would bleach with the new lighting when I saw my orange monti cap bleaching, but it hasn't and seems to be doing really well. I moved the monti cap that was bleaching out to the 6 gallon for now. It had a couple spots of bubble algae so it was a good time to take it out, clean off the bubble algae and figure out where it should be. I don't THINK I have the lights on too strong to start, but not sure.

speaking of lights, I would love feedback on these settings on my bluefish mini. I have NO idea if this is a good light program or not. I originally had it set for natural sun but realized it gets way too dark too early in the tank since I love looking at the tank at night as well! Here are the settings in order (I think):

Overview

shhWkaI.png

Morning

4OhiVPW.png

Midday:

twdl3xN.png

Evening:

5vxsVJl.png

Night:

gYvYbzZ.png

Light Graph:

w9fH3n3.png

jedimasterben

Why do you have it start at 6AM? I would change it to when you are most around your tank. I am around my tank in the evenings, so my photoperiod is from 10:30-11:30AM to 11PM, set to the photoperiod of French Polynesia, and night start time of 11PM so that only morning is variable. I would enable Natural Sun and keep your Midday settings and change your night settings to 0% on the blue channel and only use the moonlight channel so that it is just dim enough to barely almost see in the tank :lol:

Why do you have it start at 6AM? I would change it to when you are most around your tank. I am around my tank in the evenings, so my photoperiod is from 10:30-11:30AM to 11PM, set to the photoperiod of French Polynesia, and night start time of 11PM so that only morning is variable. I would enable Natural Sun and keep your Midday settings and change your night settings to 0% on the blue channel and only use the moonlight channel so that it is just dim enough to barely almost see in the tank :lol:

This helps! And who knows why the heck I started it at 6 AM! I'm up at about 5 every morning - for no freaking reason! I'm going to try this!!! Thanks Ben!

Oh so wait. Take off the sunrise/sunset mirroring then? And just go by the start and end periods. Right? Am I tracking?

And holy overuse of exclamation points by me :)

jedimasterben

This helps! And who knows why the heck I started it at 6 AM! I'm up at about 5 every morning - for no freaking reason! I'm going to try this!!! Thanks Ben!

Oh so wait. Take off the sunrise/sunset mirroring then? And just go by the start and end periods. Right? Am I tracking?

And holy overuse of exclamation points by me :)

Do you have your simulation location set already? If not, set one up, and then go from there. When you set sim location and Dynamic Sunset, this calculates your photoperiod to your set location and sets the end time so that it is always your set sunset time, but it adjusts the sunrise time according to your sim location throughout the year and ignores your set sunrise time.

I did - set it to Mystic, CT - but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment as I can't change it. Weird. It's just "spinning". So, I think I get this. Change location to somewhere more tropical, turn on sunset time, turn off sunrise. Changed the morning to 10 AM. Changed the night to 11 PM. But now just need to get the location thing to work.

jedimasterben

I did - set it to Mystic, CT - but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment as I can't change it. Weird. It's just "spinning". So, I think I get this. Change location to somewhere more tropical, turn on sunset time, turn off sunrise. Changed the morning to 10 AM. Changed the night to 11 PM. But now just need to get the location thing to work.

I had the same problem a LONG time ago, I think I fixed it by killing the app on the phone, restarting the phone, and also restarting the controller - so unplug for a minute, plug back in. Do that and once everything comes back up try and change it again. :)

I had the same problem a LONG time ago, I think I fixed it by killing the app on the phone, restarting the phone, and also restarting the controller - so unplug for a minute, plug back in. Do that and once everything comes back up try and change it again. :)

Well, that helped! i also apparently selected a location from the list that wasn't a true location. So the reboot and an actual location did it. But when I put in bora-bora, it made the tank dark. I dunno what I'm doing apparently, so I turned it back to mystic and light seems right.

jedimasterben

Well, that helped! i also apparently selected a location from the list that wasn't a true location. So the reboot and an actual location did it. But when I put in bora-bora, it made the tank dark. I dunno what I'm doing apparently, so I turned it back to mystic and light seems right.

Did you set your night start time? That sets the sunset time to your location.

jedimasterben

This is what I have for both my planted tank and reef (for the settings, anyway, the percentages and locations are very different between the two lol)

Screenshot_2015-06-22-22-07-29.png

Screenshot_2015-06-22-22-07-40.png

Screenshot_2015-06-22-22-07-48.png

Screenshot_2015-06-22-22-08-13.png

That gives this for the photoperiod:

Screenshot_2015-06-09-18-41-03.png

WHOOOPS! I've been telling you to enable Dynamic sunset - you need to enable SunRISE and leave sunset disabled!

You're one of those people, aren't ya. The type that give you a recipe for something and leave out one ingredient so nobody can duplicate it. I've got your number, JMB.

Fixed! It! Thank you!!!

My clowns finally started hosting something other than the thermometer! Vit, the little male, loves to sleep and rest under the toadstool and they both love resting on the top. Really cute to watch.

psWAJmz.jpg

My small frag of dark green monti cap is finally starting to encrust the surrounding areas!

uZtgIiL.jpg

And here's something weird. This morning, I saw the limpet (hitchhiker) on my pink stylophora. I thought it was odd. Then when it moved, there's now a spot where it was that is kinda white and the polyps aren't extending! Did the limpet eat the flesh?? The area he was on is the small branch right in the center top that looks lighter and less extended than the rest:

c9864Gj.jpg

And here's my updated light graph, thanks to the JediMasterBen:

0h3Nv35.png

Oh and one more. Happy McGannihan:

zDGenX8.jpg

jedimasterben

I have tons of baby limpets in my tank, they multiply like crazy! And they're super efficient at cleaning, everywhere they leave behind is bare!

I have tons of baby limpets in my tank, they multiply like crazy! And they're super efficient at cleaning, everywhere they leave behind is bare!

I wonder if I need two for them to multiply!

jedimasterben

I wonder if I need two for them to multiply!

I think so, and if you want some, let me know, the rocks at the beach are covered in them (along with zig-zag periwinkles, nerites, and fuzzy chitons).

Speaking of which, I just looked at the tank (haven't been paying too much attention to it) and there is a baby limpet scooting along the front :)

I think so, and if you want some, let me know, the rocks at the beach are covered in them (along with zig-zag periwinkles, nerites, and fuzzy chitons).

Speaking of which, I just looked at the tank (haven't been paying too much attention to it) and there is a baby limpet scooting along the front :)

yes please! I don't have any chitons either! That would be so awesome. Is that where your limpets came from?

This morning I was contemplating the fact that I really need a cut and highlight. But even with short hair, that runs about $150. Then I realized that $150 could buy a lotta coral or some clams from HJS and decided who needs a haircut anyway? Oh boy. I'm totally addicted. That and I've decided to let Jeff have my little 6 gallon tank and I'm going to start a 12 long nano, but I'm going to make it into an AIO, peninsula style (ordering a custom acrylic thingy from MrReefer81 that I will silicone in on one side which will house a custom media basket and the pump etc.). WHY WHY WHY????

Actually, with the overflow box in the middle of the 6 gallon, I can't get the scape right and the sides are totally shaded due to the overflow box. So, Jeff is going to turn that into a fresh water tank and I'm going to put the 12 long in the same place in the sunroom.

This is exciting omgomgomg

Ooooo!! Thanks flower! It looks like maybe I could do a mangrove!! I could always take it out of it isn't working

Mangroves are cool but the root system will get crazy! I had some in a 3g tank (smaller than a 12g obviously) and the roots were all over that tank.

I still have more reading to do here. Ended up on the phone for a while but will check this thread out more later. Plus I see you have a new thread going for the 12g :).

jedimasterben

yes please! I don't have any chitons either! That would be so awesome. Is that where your limpets came from?

The chitons will have to stay, unfortunately. It is not possible to remove them from the rocks. Yes, all my limpets came fro there unless they hitchhiked on my KPA rock.

Archived