Top Shelf Aquatics

StellaBlue's da Vinci Cube - RETIRED

ReefWeeds

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it!!! I've been neglecting my picture taking duties!!!! My little 6 gal is almost ready for pictures!!

Yes - finally shipped it out yesterday and sent me a photo of the shipping receipt. I was really getting nervous that I got scammed!

Ok, finally an update!! I finally got my NanoBox lights installed. AFTER I drained my ATO reservoir onto the floor surrounding the tank - TWICE. Not once, twice. I started dissembling the cords and such on Saturday night when one of our dogs had a run in with a skunk. So I kind of lost track and thought I hooked everything back up. Turned the ATO back on and didn't realize I had left the hose laying on the floor. Woke up the next morning, walked over to the tank and stepped in a big puddle of water. Subsequently freaked out thinking the tank was leaking and then realized what I did. I cleaned the mess up, re-primed the pump and all was good to go. Well, yesterday as I'm unhooking ALL the cords, I made sure to turn off the ATO this time. But apparently I didn't think of the fact that when there is water in a tube and that tube is laying on the ground lower than the reservoir container, the water WILL siphon out. Duh. Stepped in a puddle of water again and wanted to kick myself. So over the span of 24 hours, I dumped two gallons of RODI water on the floor. Oy. Good thing I only have a gallon reservoir.

Anyway, back to the lights! I LOVE THEM! Best investment ever in my tank. I'm still figuring out the BlueFish controller, but I have a better grasp on it now.

Anyway, a few photos!

Happy cats! Deoje (pronounced Dee-Oh-Gee), orange and McGannihan (Mac)

Tla8zRM.jpg

Oh wait! You were expecting tank photos? Ok.

FTS from this morning. Excuse all the loose frags. Got a shipment from PEA last week and I still need to glue stuff up and re-glue all the frags my snails knocked off during the last couple weeks. I also want to rearrange a few things and put a few items into the new pico.

CNMVbXE.jpg

The mint pavona is growing like crazy!

NUUMBXc.jpg

I didn't realize that my sunset monti had really grown until I looked at an old photo from about a month and a half ago. First photo is the older one and second is from today:

ofdHkjA.jpg

5Rkq4Ts.jpg

Photo of the little monti caps area. I want to see if they'll grow around each other. Photobomb by Mona.

8tAzsoq.jpg

And a photo of nerite eggs for Kimberbee! They are everywhere in my tank.

5ZShgMs.jpg

Ms. Stella, I missed a lot in the last few pages. Let me just say.

Your foyer - beautiful

Your paintings - beautiful

These guys:

New fishes! I got a bonded pair of hybrid cleaner gobies from Live Aquaria this week. They are nameless at the moment - I figured I'd make sure they survive a week before they get named. These two guys are so much fun to watch.

1Gq39fj.jpg

Beautiful.

A love how bright your home is, it's got a lovely natural light. And the couch view of the tank is my favorite.

Ms. Stella, I missed a lot in the last few pages. Let me just say.

Your foyer - beautiful

Your paintings - beautiful

These guys:

Beautiful.

A love how bright your home is, it's got a lovely natural light. And the couch view of the tank is my favorite.

You just made my day, Kat!!! Thank you!

We do have a ton of windows - which I like! Except the fact that it is an old house and is really freaking drafty in the winter! But all the natural light is great for painting :)

Iko felt Franklin got all the attention, so here's a photo of Iko sitting on the couch. There is no question dogs rule the house - well, probably the two cats really do, but the dogs think they do.

h4aNTBZ.jpg

One more photo foot (really? I typed FOOT??) because I think it is hilarious. I was inspired to do a bunch of painting this weekend. Franklin always seems to hang around. Well, I went out to the kitchen to get some coffee and left my palette on my desk. Franklin decided to rest his chin on it - right in some nice ultramarine blue. Good thing I was painting in acrylics which are mostly non-toxic - and this particular color was, but he's got a nice blue stained beard now. He loves to rest his chin on things so by the time I came back, there were blue chin prints on my chair, on the radiator cover, on the window sill and a few other things.

SsaX2oX.jpg

Mr. Microscope

lol! Love the dog paws.

Your tank really looks fun. I'm really looking forward to seeing all of your SPS mounted.

That pavona is really beautiful! I just got mine a few weeks ago and can't wait for it to look like yours.

lol! Love the dog paws.

Your tank really looks fun. I'm really looking forward to seeing all of your SPS mounted.

That pavona is really beautiful! I just got mine a few weeks ago and can't wait for it to look like yours.

Thanks Mr. Microscope!! I have to work up the courage to do it - my female clown, Mona, goes after my hands something fierce! It freaks me out! haha. She has actually drawn blood once. I've tried gloves and use them for some things, but they are really hard to work with when mounting stuff. They make me even clumsier.

I'm looking forward to the SPS frags coloring up. I got them from PEA and almost all were WSIWYG. It seemed that all the ones they had were somewhat bleached looking so I figured it was just the photos, but no, none of them had really any color. I found that really odd. I've noticed they've actually already colored up a little bit, so I might leave them on the bottom for a few more days before I mount them (and work my courage up to face Mona).

And I'm going to go look at your thread for your pavona! I LOVE that coral. I think it is my favorite. Seems really easy too - it's one of the best growers I've got - with the exception of some pink and gold zoas I put in about a month ago that I now fear are going to take over my entire tank. Went from 3 polyps to roughly 15 in a month. And they're BIG polyps.

Well, this is what I have my lights set at for now. I figure I'd keep them at about 35% to get the tank acclimated. Although I'm still trying to figure out how long the acclimation period should be. I'm thinking increase 10% weekly or so. I'll figure it out sooner or later!

N0HiUn4.png

Well, this is what I have my lights set at for now. I figure I'd keep them at about 35% to get the tank acclimated. Although I'm still trying to figure out how long the acclimation period should be. I'm thinking increase 10% weekly or so. I'll figure it out sooner or later!

N0HiUn4.png

Right there with you. I am increasing 10% weekly and currently at 55% blues and 35% whites. Everything looks great so far but keeping an eye on things. Fingers crossed with each increase :unsure:

Right there with you. I am increasing 10% weekly and currently at 55% blues and 35% whites. Everything looks great so far but keeping an eye on things. Fingers crossed with each increase :unsure:

I just checked out your tank thread!! Love it! Especially the dwarf lion.

Mr. Microscope

Thanks Mr. Microscope!! I have to work up the courage to do it - my female clown, Mona, goes after my hands something fierce! It freaks me out! haha. She has actually drawn blood once. I've tried gloves and use them for some things, but they are really hard to work with when mounting stuff. They make me even clumsier.

I'm looking forward to the SPS frags coloring up. I got them from PEA and almost all were WSIWYG. It seemed that all the ones they had were somewhat bleached looking so I figured it was just the photos, but no, none of them had really any color. I found that really odd. I've noticed they've actually already colored up a little bit, so I might leave them on the bottom for a few more days before I mount them (and work my courage up to face Mona).

And I'm going to go look at your thread for your pavona! I LOVE that coral. I think it is my favorite. Seems really easy too - it's one of the best growers I've got - with the exception of some pink and gold zoas I put in about a month ago that I now fear are going to take over my entire tank. Went from 3 polyps to roughly 15 in a month. And they're BIG polyps.

Yikes! Maybe pick up some nitrile gloves and double up on them (wear two at a time). That should give you ample protection, but also allow for more dexterity. I'm assuming the gloves you are referring to are the thick kitchen kind.

I imagine your SPS could continue to color up well. It sucks that they came in bleached.

I think those zoas are actually called, "pink and golds." I remember way back in 2009ish, I bought some off of one of the original propagators (M'akoyPINOY). It was something like $35 for 2.5 polyps. That was before everyone realized how quickly they grow. lol. They can be invasive, but if you really get them to color-up, they are impressive zoas especially under blue light. They require really intense lighting to get them looking stellar.

limitededition_cherrycharmszoa_seed.jpg

9051560547_eec335af63_b.jpg

Yikes! Maybe pick up some nitrile gloves and double up on them (wear two at a time). That should give you ample protection, but also allow for more dexterity. I'm assuming the gloves you are referring to are the thick kitchen kind.

I imagine your SPS could continue to color up well. It sucks that they came in bleached.

I think those zoas are actually called, "pink and golds." I remember way back in 2009ish, I bought some off of one of the original propagators (M'akoyPINOY). It was something like $35 for 2.5 polyps. That was before everyone realized how quickly they grow. lol. They can be invasive, but if you really get them to color-up, they are impressive zoas especially under blue light. They require really intense lighting to get them looking stellar.

limitededition_cherrycharmszoa_seed.jpg

9051560547_eec335af63_b.jpg

Wow! Those look awesome. Yes! Pink and golds. Mine are just starting to look sparkly, but geez, the growth is a bit crazy. I've been contemplating trying to figure out how to remove them from where I have them, but the whole palytoxin thing scares me a bit :wacko: and I'm not sure how to peel them off the rock without causing some sort of tank crash.

I just checked out your tank thread!! Love it! Especially the dwarf lion.

Danke! Love your selection of corals! Seeing your feather reminds me how much I miss mine, unfortunately and fortunately the only coral loss so far. Yah! Had the lion for about month and half. Seems to be adjusting well. Hope to have it for the long haul. Good luck on your awesome setup! Looking forward to watching it grow!

jedimasterben

If you don't know what your light was putting out PAR-wise beforehand, then you're starting off on the right foot, but I would not raise it more than 5% weekly, just to be on the safe side.

If you don't know what your light was putting out PAR-wise beforehand, then you're starting off on the right foot, but I would not raise it more than 5% weekly, just to be on the safe side.

Good tip! I'll do 5% - and yeah, I have no idea what the par was before. I wish someone around here had a par meter I could borrow. They're expensive! I was looking online for some sort of info on stock biocube par readings but came up empty. I'm thinking not that strong though.

jedimasterben

Good tip! I'll do 5% - and yeah, I have no idea what the par was before. I wish someone around here had a par meter I could borrow. They're expensive! I was looking online for some sort of info on stock biocube par readings but came up empty. I'm thinking not that strong though.

They're stronger than most people give them credit for, probably around 60-80 PAR on the bottom of the tank.

They're stronger than most people give them credit for, probably around 60-80 PAR on the bottom of the tank.

The Biocubes? I guess that would make sense. I was surprised when some things were doing well that I thought might not. Then again, I also am a heavy feeder so I figured that things were doing well because of that ;) Having fun learning as I go, but I swear the research part of everything is the most fun. Well, except how to instal lights and such. Apparently I'm not so good at that. Well, that and forgetting the hose of the ATO on the floor! :blush:

Of course now I want to replace my little 6 gal with a Mr. Aqua 12 long :) OMG. I am OUT.OF.CONTROL.

jedimasterben

The Biocubes? I guess that would make sense. I was surprised when some things were doing well that I thought might not. Then again, I also am a heavy feeder so I figured that things were doing well because of that ;) Having fun learning as I go, but I swear the research part of everything is the most fun. Well, except how to instal lights and such. Apparently I'm not so good at that. Well, that and forgetting the hose of the ATO on the floor! :blush:

Of course now I want to replace my little 6 gal with a Mr. Aqua 12 long :) OMG. I am OUT.OF.CONTROL.

Well, power compacts in general. Same technology as T8/T5 just bent, so the reflectors aren't as efficient. Enough wattage, though, and it makes up for it. :)

Well, power compacts in general. Same technology as T8/T5 just bent, so the reflectors aren't as efficient. Enough wattage, though, and it makes up for it. :)

AHHH! makes sense. And with the wattage for PCs comes the heat. I could NOT keep the BC cooled down once it started getting warmer here. Plusses and minuses. The cats can't get into the tank or drop weird stuff in the tank, I only go through about a 1/2 gallon of top off water per week, but big minus is it is very hard to cool down. I started keeping the back and front little doors open and blowing a fan towards the tank and that helped.

On a fun note, my dad got me a gift certificate to LiveAquaria and I'm trying to figure out what I want! I never thought I would want to get a clam, but Jeff really wants a clam and all the talk of clams by HarryJSinger and MWhitelock have made me want to possibly get one. Now I'm just doing some research on different types. Maxima, squamosa, derasa, crocea - lots of research to do!

Sk8n Reefer

Hahaha- that dumping water story is funny! Pavona is sweet- turning into a nice piece for sure! Good growth going- great job! I'll be playing with a bluefish soon myself!

jedimasterben

Definitely start off with a squamosa or derasa. They take the least light and are the least finicky.

Archived