Innovative Marine Aquariums

StellaBlue's da Vinci Cube - RETIRED

ReefWeeds

I just noticed a couple of my montis are showing some slight bleaching, so I turned the intensity from 35 down to 30 on the whites. Dave's lights are powerful!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

IMHO a single R420R Nano isn't going to light the 34" length properly, you'll need two of them for that. It's not that it doesn't give enough output, it's just that the output is not physically long enough to cover it.

IMHO a single R420R Nano isn't going to light the 34" length properly, you'll need two of them for that. It's not that it doesn't give enough output, it's just that the output is not physically long enough to cover it.

That's what I was afraid of. What if I place it higher? Will that lengthen the width of the output? Either that or I may for now do NPS stuff on the side with not as much light or something. Until I pull the trigger and order a NB light from Dave :) Do you think 3 pucks would work?

jedimasterben

That's what I was afraid of. What if I place it higher? Will that lengthen the width of the output? Either that or I may for now do NPS stuff on the side with not as much light or something. Until I pull the trigger and order a NB light from Dave :) Do you think 3 pucks would work?

You would have to place it so high to get the proper spread that it's not really worth it lol. You're looking at ~18" above the tank for it to start getting to the ends with the 80 degree optics. The outer cone is the approximate full spread of the fixture, but the inner cone is about half that angle and contains nearly all of the light. Our eyes don't notice it as bad in person, but cameras really pick up on it and corals know, too :)

stella%252520r420r.png

Dave doesn't do any triple array models, plus he would still need to use one of his large housings and those aren't set up for three, either. At any rate, you can do like you said and do NPS or house things like acans on the far ends. :)

You would have to place it so high to get the proper spread that it's not really worth it lol. You're looking at ~18" above the tank for it to start getting to the ends with the 80 degree optics. The outer cone is the approximate full spread of the fixture, but the inner cone is about half that angle and contains nearly all of the light. Our eyes don't notice it as bad in person, but cameras really pick up on it and corals know, too :)

stella%252520r420r.png

Dave doesn't do any triple array models, plus he would still need to use one of his large housings and those aren't set up for three, either. At any rate, you can do like you said and do NPS or house things like acans on the far ends. :)

You're so smart :D

Thanks Ben! why why WHY did I do the razor nano? So one of Dave's quads I'm thinking... eventually. And for now, nps, acans, etc. I'm also going to offset the light from the center to account for the overflow/AIO chamber that will be on the right of the tank and some of the island where the mangrove and orchids will be. Of course, I just need to figure out how I should mount it. I'm thinking of putting a free standing type bookshelf from ikea and then suspending the light from there. But need to make sure it is all sturdy and such with the plaster walls in this old house.

oh God, he doesn;t need a bigger head. He need a beating.

Oh man, and I also told him he was one of the most awesomest people on N-R. GREEEAAAAT.

He did offer to send me some mangrove pod thingys for the 12 long though. so that is pretty awesome!

Woah! I didn't realize there was a Marine Depot Live where they sell corals and such.

All you do is post the full Youtube link, no embed code or anything, the forum does the rest. :)

From my ipad I have to remove the .m in the link.

He did offer to send me some mangrove pod thingys for the 12 long though. so that is pretty awesome!

Woah! I didn't realize there was a Marine Depot Live where they sell corals and such.

We can help you spend as much money as you would like :lol:
thecoralbeauty

GOOD ADVICE! LOVE IT! Mangrove and Orchids (if I can figure out the orchid part) and some air plants. Or just a mangrove and orchids. I want to do some small orchid varieties. Need to research! Maybe I can drill some holes in the rocks to fit some little pots, then plant the orchids in those little plastic pots that sit in the main pot. This way I can just remove the plastic pot for fertilization and such. Hmm. Lots to think about!

And there is literally NO place in our house that does not get indirect sunlight ad I'm not kidding. I counted and we have 73 windows in this old house. Love the natural light, but it gets drafty. I'll be putting the tank in the sunroom which gets actually gets much less sunlight in the summer due to shade trees even though it faces south. Lots of sun in the winter, but since the winter sun is weaker, I'm thinking I'll be ok.

lots of little orchid varieties... oncidium twinkles are pretty cute, and there are miniature phalaenopsis too, among others. I have a cute little mini called lava burst, forgot what it was specifically . :)

Today, my brother and his wife came down and we all then went to my dad's for dad's day (happy father's day to all the dads here!). Well, we were all talking about next weekend and what was up and I mentioned we couldn't get together because Jeff and I are going to reefapalooza. I was off making some german potato salad to bring to my dad's and I heard my S-I-L talking to Jeff joking around about pot brownies. I really wasn't paying attention but thought "I wonder what they're talking about". Later in the day, we were talking about hotel points and I mentioned how we have so many hotel points because of all the travel I used to do and all the travel Jeff currently does for work and how we got "free" rooms next weekend for REEF-a-palooza. So my S-I-L says "wait, you're serious? What is it for?" And I said "you know, reefs - like saltwater reef tanks" and she cracks up and says she thought I was saying reefERpalooza the whole time and thought I was kidding. Hence the pot brownies discussion I overheard. We all cracked up.

And Jeff's response: "I WISH it was REEFER-palooza."

Today, my brother and his wife came down and we all then went to my dad's for dad's day (happy father's day to all the dads here!). Well, we were all talking about next weekend and what was up and I mentioned we couldn't get together because Jeff and I are going to reefapalooza. I was off making some german potato salad to bring to my dad's and I heard my S-I-L talking to Jeff joking around about pot brownies. I really wasn't paying attention but thought "I wonder what they're talking about". Later in the day, we were talking about hotel points and I mentioned how we have so many hotel points because of all the travel I used to do and all the travel Jeff currently does for work and how we got "free" rooms next weekend for REEF-a-palooza. So my S-I-L says "wait, you're serious? What is it for?" And I said "you know, reefs - like saltwater reef tanks" and she cracks up and says she thought I was saying reefERpalooza the whole time and thought I was kidding. Hence the pot brownies discussion I overheard. We all cracked up.

And Jeff's response: "I WISH it was REEFER-palooza."

lmao I am sure Denver will have a show soon :).

Tell Jeff to come hang out with me :lol:

5c53537e-fec7-4760-8f0b-86a900872fa0.jpg

He laughed and said HELL yeah.

Stella! Any recent pictures of your grapes that you accidentally fragged? The more I look at them, the more I think I should see if there is one left for my tank!

The monti caps? I will for sure take a picture tomorrow. It's a small piece on a frag plug. I'm happy to send it over, you pick up shipping.

He laughed and said HELL yeah.

The monti caps? I will for sure take a picture tomorrow. It's a small piece on a frag plug. I'm happy to send it over, you pick up shipping.

Are you sure? At the rate you are acquiring tanks, you might need more frags! Haha

HarryPotter

Stella! Any recent pictures of your grapes that you accidentally fragged? The more I look at them, the more I think I should see if there is one left for my tank!

I have a few 1x1 grape and green montipora caps if you want- just S&H :)

291B654C-2C4F-465C-BCB4-0D18A756DE41_zps

Are you sure? At the rate you are acquiring tanks, you might need more frags! Haha

HAHA! Yeah, no kidding! :) I'm growing the frags out now, but they're still tiny - like 1/2 inch squares. But they're healed up and doing well, just tiny! And sure, you can have one. Gena's grape cap was amazing!

I have a few 1x1 grape and green montipora caps if you want- just S&H :)

291B654C-2C4F-465C-BCB4-0D18A756DE41_zps

HAHA! Yeah, no kidding! :) I'm growing the frags out now, but they're still tiny - like 1/2 inch squares. But they're healed up and doing well, just tiny! And sure, you can have one. Gena's grape cap was amazing!

Oh my goodness! You guys are awesome. Green ones even! Sign me up!!

Oh my goodness! You guys are awesome. Green ones even! Sign me up!!

Harry's grape is definitely nicer than the frag I have! I say go for that one!

Archived