Top Shelf Aquatics

StellaBlue's da Vinci Cube - RETIRED

ReefWeeds

Found this online! I wonder if this is what the white weirdness coming out of my one acan is:

The disposition of the Acan coral is considered aggressive, it is important to know that the coral should be placed so that no other corals are within a few inches of it. While I have never seen an Acan do this they have been known to extend their stomachs out onto neighboring corals to attack them.

The only other corals near that acan are other acans. However, there is a duncan about 5 inches away. Wonder if that's too close.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I think this is funny (now), but at the time it annoyed me. When do moms stop being moms?

Msqg9KQ.png

So Gena is sending me a couple of RFAs and some super shrooms! I'm so freaking excited. This is what happens when you have an OCD wife. Since I'm not going to be home tomorrow, Jeff has to acclimate them. So I left everything he could possibly need out, detailed instructions and a bottle of wine.

J2Gf4pP.jpg

Hey! That's Benny- awesome job. My wife loves it too!

It sure is Benny!!! I LOVE painting his colors.

and thank you Sk8n!

Do the white thingies look like these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT1gWugdkfM

Those are called mesenterial filaments, packed with nematocysts (even moreso than sweeper tentacles) and they just digest the other coral :)

IMG_9304.jpg

yes!!! Totally looks like that! Maybe it doesn't like the other acans so close to it! I will need to move it when I get back. Thanks Ben! BTW, what is that spaceship type coral you posted there? That thing looks Empire-eske

Oh and for the text thingy above 1. I'm over 40 (gulp - how did that happen) and 2. I'm pretty sure my mom doesn't understand what working from a home office means :)

My wife loves the added touch of the zoos too!

You had some zoos in your photo! I loved the combo between Benny, the tealish shrooms and the zoos. Your photos are awesome.

jedimasterben

yes!!! Totally looks like that! Maybe it doesn't like the other acans so close to it! I will need to move it when I get back. Thanks Ben! BTW, what is that spaceship type coral you posted there? That thing looks Empire-eske

It's an Acanthastrea echinata. The coral under it (a Siderastrea siderea) was dead for many weeks before it decided to attack it. I guess it just really wanted to make sure lol.

It's an Acanthastrea echinata. The coral under it (a Siderastrea siderea) was dead for many weeks before it decided to attack it. I guess it just really wanted to make sure lol.

I guess!! That's some craziness! That thing is crazy looking - especially with the angle. It looks like it is landing on some planet.

jedimasterben

I guess!! That's some craziness! That thing is crazy looking - especially with the angle. It looks like it is landing on some planet.

My own little planet in the reef lol. Too bad it was one of many casualties of a chronically low alkalinity, that thing was a beauty!

Sk8n Reefer

You had some zoos in your photo! I loved the combo between Benny, the tealish shrooms and the zoos. Your photos are awesome.

Thanks, yes I forgot the zoos and shrooms!

My own little planet in the reef lol. Too bad it was one of many casualties of a chronically low alkalinity, that thing was a beauty!

aww man. That stinks.

jedimasterben

aww man. That stinks.

Yep, it does. Two years of that, and I thought that dinoflagellates were the cause to all my problems - turns out it was this turd of a Hanna checker. I told my dad I want his biggest gun and I'm gonna take care of it. :)

Yep, it does. Two years of that, and I thought that dinoflagellates were the cause to all my problems - turns out it was this turd of a Hanna checker. I told my dad I want his biggest gun and I'm gonna take care of it. :)

HAHA! The italics help make this even scarier. Aren't Jedi Masters supposed to be kinda zen-like? You're leaning towards the dark side on this one :)

jedimasterben

HAHA! The italics help make this even scarier. Aren't Jedi Masters supposed to be kinda zen-like? You're leaning towards the dark side on this one :)

Some Jedi practice Vaapad. "After his fall to the dark side prior to the Clone Wars, Count Dooku described the power of Vaapad as skirting the dark side of the Force." http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Form_VII;)

Friday night I broke down my "frag/QT" tank. It had some sugar-fine sand in it which I HATED so I bought some larger particle aragonite substrate (Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ). I also needed to re-silicone the overflow box. It had some leaks and I should've returned it to petco as I noticed the day I got it, but I figured for a QT/frag tank, NBD. For some reason, I thought silicone was like epoxy and would set up pretty quickly so I actually thought I'd be able to silicone the overflow, wait an hour or two, then put the tank back together to start off my new pico. WRONG. I finally read the directions on the silicone and it said wait 48 hours before putting water in the aquarium. It would've helped if I read the directions BEFORE siliconing. Anyway, I set up a temp tank in a 5 gallon bucket while I wait for the silicone to dry. I'm going to start the new little pico today with the new sand, a sponge from before I took down the tank, some established rock from my 29, some of the existing water and some new water. Here's a photo of the tank, drying in the breakfast nook and a photo of my temp tank:

gULHSAc.jpg

TiJVTtQ.jpg

The clouds and storms I saw when flying back from Florida were AWESOME. I took a few videos of the storms, but couldn't catch the lightening in the photos. It increased the return trip as we flew around all of these storms, but they were sure cool to see.

aXyhE18.jpg

J5pHxHq.jpg

Yesterday, Jeff and I swapped out a large bookcase type shelf that was in our sunroom. It was about 5 feet tall, so we went with a small ikea one that he had in his "wine cellar" (read: corner of the basement). It really opened up the room and this is where the little tank is going:

uzb49xB.jpg

qwOD76S.jpg

I also saw that one of my scarlet hermits found a new home in the mint pavona! She's been sitting here off and on since yesterday:

pcHanwN.jpg

AND a few more photos. Yesterday, in the monster tank the large white RFA decided to go on a walkabout and relocate himself from the sand to the top of some barnacles:

ysbPcDa.jpg

fJdTiS7.jpg

Yn7Ynhi.jpg

Finally settled in this AM:

Vbtk1Fk.jpg

1BTCucG.jpg

fgxmJnY.jpg

I love your monster tank. The white RFA is really pretty :wub: In hindsight, I wish I had set up a monster tank, too, instead of giving/selling everything that got to be too much for my little tanks. I could have a pretty nice tank going by now :)

The pico looks like it's going to be awesome! I really like the way it looks on the new shelf. But how will you ever watch TV? I know I'd be constantly looking at the tank instead of the TV :lol:

The pico looks like it's going to be awesome! I really like the way it looks on the new shelf. But how will you ever watch TV? I know I'd be constantly looking at the tank instead of the TV :lol:

+1 :rolleyes:

I love your monster tank. The white RFA is really pretty :wub: In hindsight, I wish I had set up a monster tank, too, instead of giving/selling everything that got to be too much for my little tanks. I could have a pretty nice tank going by now :)

Thanks Teeny! Yeah, I can't see myself wanting to watch TV with the tank right there! Although I am not planning on having any fish in this tank, just inverts and such so hopefully it won't be TOOOOOO distracting :P

ooooo! And you totally should set up a monster tank! It's a lot of fun to check out all the action. The crazy orange striped hermit that we got at the LFS (that had previously hitchhiked on with a customer's macro algae order so they gave it to the LFS) is the funniest guy.

Well, the little tank (still nameless for a thread) is all mostly set up! I've got the RFAs from Gena in there along with some corals etc. They're all doing well. I don't have any good photos because I have a really cheap LED fixture over the tank that is way too blue for photos. It puts out enough light (for right now), but I'm waiting on the used Maxspect Razor Nano I bought.

On that note, let me ask you guys a question as this is the first time I've bought used equipment from someone I didn't know and maybe I've just been spoiled. I paid for the used light 8 days ago and was told it would ship out ASAP. At the end of the week, I got a message from the seller when I inquired as to status saying they had been really busy last week and also had trouble locating a box to ship the light in, but it would go out first thing this week. Now I get a text asking if I can wait a few more days as they are attempting to sell the coral in the tank that the light is over, so now shipping is going to be in a "few days". Does this seem weird? I'm not feeling so confident in this purchase. If I knew the light was in use, I probably would've expected a delay and I wish I wasn't told that the light would ship out ASAP when I sent payment. I'm getting sketchy vibes. Am I over-reacting?

Everyone who I've sent payment to has shipped the next day or at least given me a heads up as to when shipping would be and has stuck to it.

I would be getting sketchy vibes too. Did you send payment as a gift?

Everyone who I've sent payment to has shipped the next day or at least given me a heads up as to when shipping would be and has stuck to it.

I would be getting sketchy vibes too. Did you send payment as a gift?

I sent it as paying for goods/services thank goodness. I think if he doesn't ship it by Wednesday, I'm going to tell him I'm going to initiate a claim with PayPal. It just is really weird that the story keeps changing.

Archived