Top Shelf Aquatics

StellaBlue's da Vinci Cube - RETIRED

ReefWeeds

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ReefWeeds

Looking really good!! I love that blue mushroom right in the middle, it sure pops!!

thank you!!! I love that one too. It is starting to turn more purplish/red than it was when I got it. I kinda liked it more when it was really blue blue. But I still love the color.

Your BC is looking awesome! I saw your recent FTS.

ReefWeeds

Tanks are coming along great!

Thank you! I'm definitely enjoying all the steps. And am learning for sure through trial by fire. I have a huge finger leather I put up in a corner and it seems to be releasing toxins that are bothering some of the nearby corals. Problem is, it has grown ONTO one of the larger support rocks that isn't easy to remove from the tank without removing ALL rocks. So, still trying to figure out how to move it as I don't want to frag it in the tank and release all the toxin. Oh, if I had ONLY researched before just placing it somewhere 'temporarily'.

Also remember when anchoring frags of SPS lay them down horizontally not straight up. This shows more coralites (sp?) to the light and encourages more branches to grow.

Thank you!!! Great advice and I followed it :)

Actually, here's a better FTS from today! Aside from the window reflections in the glass....

pDYadcq.jpg

And because I thought this was funny: a shot of the tank in the background with nano-reef.com up on the computer (which might just be my work computer):

YmXoQFw.jpg

Welcome back!!!! And such a lovely room too :). That white RFA is gorgeous!!!

ReefWeeds

Welcome back!!!! And such a lovely room too :). That white RFA is gorgeous!!!

Thank you and thank you! I love that white one too. It's HUGE - like 5 inches across and nice and puffy. It really looks like a flower. I love watching those things eat.

I got them at saltcritters.com. The price on the white guy was only $15 which I thought was REALLY good. It was under their Common Rock Flower Anemone classification although I sure don't think it looks common :)

Sk8n Reefer

Thank you! I'm definitely enjoying all the steps. And am learning for sure through trial by fire. I have a huge finger leather I put up in a corner and it seems to be releasing toxins that are bothering some of the nearby corals. Problem is, it has grown ONTO one of the larger support rocks that isn't easy to remove from the tank without removing ALL rocks. So, still trying to figure out how to move it as I don't want to frag it in the tank and release all the toxin. Oh, if I had ONLY researched before just placing it somewhere 'temporarily'.

Thank you!!! Great advice and I followed it :)

Run some carbon- that will help absorb the toxins

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently I'm only good for once a week updates! Anyway, I found a page on Facebook this week called Frags Auction Place. It's pretty cool and I bought a few things for really good prices. I got some various zoas, a yellow scroll, superman digitata, green spongodes, and some other things.

I also added a orangish/red rock flower nem to the monster tank and it decided to go on a trek - up the barnacle wall and settled right on the top. It was actually really funny to watch. Here's a photo of the red RFA and the green RFA in blue LEDs:

ztIV8hA.jpg

Here are a few photos of the nem's trek up the wall:

69f1nm7.jpg

RCiTvgD.jpg

ZmnuIk8.jpg

And Yum the pencil urchin likes to stick on the glass (Jeff named him Yum since his favorite sushi is Uni - I told him he can't eat Yum):

2WkgCMZ.jpg

And here are a few photos of my BC!

The sour apple birds nest that I got from Scuba Steve:

AnylmIv.jpg

One of the zoas I got this past week:

2jHWxqb.jpg

Some white dots that have been showing up all over my live rock that I believe I've identified correctly as nerite snail eggs:

a1AoiNc.jpg

I just bought a couple of Gena's frags! Idaho Grape and Season's greetings caps. Can't wait!!!!

Now if I can just figure out how to get snails to stop popping my glued frags off my rocks. You can see all the frags in the front sand that have been knocked off this past week

DQxpUZE.jpg

I finally started my reef paintings! On to the second. Here's the progression of the first one that I'm calling "Peek-a-boo" - it's 6"x6" acrylic. I really enjoyed it!

Finished painting (and in the event you're interested in purchasing, click here)

a9Rrkq4.jpg

Progress:

GIhLVEM.jpg

NERBSKE.jpg

NXcGw3B.jpg

Looking good ! Geeting lots of life going

Thank you!! This hobby is seriously addicting.

Sk8n Reefer

Nice job- I like it! Nice and colorful. More more more ?The progressive shots are cool with the tank in the background

Nice job- I like it! Nice and colorful. More more more The progressive shots are cool with the tank in the background

One of my artist friends noticed that on Facebook and come to find out, he's a reefer too :) I FINALLY organized my studio area yesterday. It's good to be back in front of the easel for sure. Working on another now actually!

reefernanoman

best stuff ever for anchoring frags.

1021069914.jpg

I love that stuff, but when the frags are very big I have to use it in conjunction with tunze coral gum, which works great too.

Hahaha...Yum!!!! Great name :).

Everything looks wonderful. I just LOVE that pavona :wub:.

I need to frag some for you when it grows a bit!!! It seems to grow pretty quickly.

Well, the sinularia had gotten so big and started bothering some of the corals within 6 inches of it so I nervously removed it! I was able to peel it off the rock in one piece. Now I've got it in the frag tank until I figure out what I want to do with it. I think I'll frag a few big pieces then let it heal and trade it in. It slimes quite a bit and then gets huger :0)

I also glued up a bunch of frags while dodging my piranha clown fish. Both of them go after my hand in the tank, the female especially. She flips her tail on my hand and bites! Crazy fish. Then the male decided to try as well. It was a little nerve-wracking - especially when Mona would freaking jump out of the water after my hand.

A few fotos for today!

Acan:

gMel5d6.jpg

Acan wall:

w9rJL9g.jpg

Rainbow Yuma:

D2yUdT1.jpg

Duncan with babies!

bet98Hf.jpg

Green and purple hammer:

1s5kaah.jpg

Yuma:

gzeweRq.jpg

Some zoos:

Ggd5ZSu.jpg

Jasmine:

6Gms09E.jpg

Nuclear Green Palys:

JqXOfWl.jpg

Bud Bomber is growing well:

bEOj4lo.jpg

And soon I'll have some of Gena's Idaho Grape and Season's Greetings! Can't wait!!

I need to frag some for you when it grows a bit!!! It seems to grow pretty quickly.

Well, the sinularia had gotten so big and started bothering some of the corals within 6 inches of it so I nervously removed it! I was able to peel it off the rock in one piece. Now I've got it in the frag tank until I figure out what I want to do with it. I think I'll frag a few big pieces then let it heal and trade it in. It slimes quite a bit and then gets huger :0)

I also glued up a bunch of frags while dodging my piranha clown fish. Both of them go after my hand in the tank, the female especially. She flips her tail on my hand and bites! Crazy fish. Then the male decided to try as well. It was a little nerve-wracking - especially when Mona would freaking jump out of the water after my hand.

The shape of it is just so cool! I'd replace my orange digitata with that :).

The shape of it is just so cool! I'd replace my orange digitata with that :).

The snails knocked it off again, so I'm going to try fragging a piece for ya! It looks best under lights leaning towards the blue spectrum (looks great under actnics). it definitely has a minty glow :) The shape is definitely really cool. I like how thin it is... really looks like leaves.

The snails knocked it off again, so I'm going to try fragging a piece for ya! It looks best under lights leaning towards the blue spectrum (looks great under actnics). it definitely has a minty glow :) The shape is definitely really cool. I like how thin it is... really looks like leaves.

Oh yeah, the shape is so unlike other SPS corals...that's what I love about it :). And who doesn't love green? Well, I'm sure someone, but it's not me :).
  • 2 weeks later...

New fishes! I got a bonded pair of hybrid cleaner gobies from Live Aquaria this week. They are nameless at the moment - I figured I'd make sure they survive a week before they get named. These two guys are so much fun to watch.

1Gq39fj.jpg

They found a little cave as a home - and I'm happy it is RIGHT in the front of the tank!

Sorry for the glare - but I really liked this photo of them peeking out of the cave.

Jg71qv2.jpg

Check out this massive banded aiptasia (or what I think is banded aiptasia) that just showed up on a rock right in the front of my tank the other day! the tentacles are at least 1.5 inches in spots. I haven't gotten rid of it yet - I think it's really cool. From my research, banded aiptasia isn't as invasive, but I know I should get rid of it.

sKLYLs0.jpg

oh and of course I found another hitchhiker crab. Tiny white crab. You can see it in the hole in the rock here.

ehwEP7O.jpg?1

Oh and one more photo! I got these zoas from Live Aquaria when I got the fish from the Diver's Den. I LOVE the color. They really are that aqua. I have no idea what they are, LA said they were Tinkerbell Zoas. They look like palys to me.

aVor78H.jpg?1

Archived