Innovative Marine Aquariums

StellaBlue's da Vinci Cube - RETIRED

ReefWeeds

I found a weird wormy thing (I think) in the "I think it is merulina" coral. I noticed a hole and two antennae coming out - any ideas? Dangerous to other corals? Is this thing going to propagate and spread??? Right now, this is in the QT tank. Thank goodness. Two photos: one a close-up of the antennae and hole and another a shot of the whole piece - where you can see the little antennae coming out - should hopefully give an idea of size.

attachicon.gifweird worm closeup.jpg

attachicon.gifWeird worm2.jpg

Look up vermetid snail.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here ya go! Click here. It's actually an 18 LED strip, I thought it was six. Fits well in the fuge basket. It is still under $10, but went up a couple bucks since I bought it.

Thanks for the link. I just bought one even though I have a homemade fuge light that seems to work OK. But for $10 it's a great deal and I might have a use for it in the future.

Thanks for the link. I just bought one even though I have a homemade fuge light that seems to work OK. But for $10 it's a great deal and I might have a use for it in the future.

I think you'll like it. So far, I've had no problems with this. It seems to work great for my tiny fuge in the back. The chaeto is growing - which is all I really care about :)

Look up vermetid snail.

Yikes. That is what it seems like. I didn't realize they burrow! I think I'll try supergluing the hole.

Why. Unless you don't like the looks of it leave it be. Will help to clean water of smaller particles that it can catch. Enjoy the diversity!

Why. Unless you don't like the looks of it leave it be. Will help to clean water of smaller particles that it can catch. Enjoy the diversity!

Oh good!! Ok, I was thinking they were bad news after some research! I'm glad I can keep it there.

post-87057-0-32851900-1428621269_thumb.jpg

I caught the crab!!! Two down! I hope there aren't any more. Here's a photo. He started out the size of a pencil eraser when I first noticed him and he's about the size of a quarter now.

Here are a few better photos of the devil crab. His red eyes don't show as much under incandescent lights. I caught him with the shot glass!

Here's a picture of him in the shot glass with the jumbo shrimp. You can see his crazy eyes in this picture best:

post-87057-0-40535200-1428621924_thumb.jpg

And here's a better photo showing his shape and claws:

post-87057-0-71630600-1428621950_thumb.jpg

post-87057-0-19291200-1428621880_thumb.jpg

Look up vermetid snail.

no its a spionid worm, no mucous threads!!

I think you'll like it. So far, I've had no problems with this. It seems to work great for my tiny fuge in the back. The chaeto is growing - which is all I really care about :)

Yikes. That is what it seems like. I didn't realize they burrow! I think I'll try supergluing the hole.

vermetids don't burrow, they are totally sessile snails.

Here are a few better photos of the devil crab. His red eyes don't show as much under incandescent lights. I caught him with the shot glass!

Here's a picture of him in the shot glass with the jumbo shrimp. You can see his crazy eyes in this picture best:

attachicon.gifcrab cocktail.jpg

And here's a better photo showing his shape and claws:

attachicon.gifdevilcrab.jpg

does he get mercy of life in prison? Quarter size, you could keep him in an old tupperware container or large pickle jar lol

Yay for crab catching! omgomgomg

I agree on the other critter - I've had those before, as well as vermetid snails. I never knew they were called spionid worms but that looks right. From your picture they definitely aren't vermetid snails.

My spionid worms were embedded with some zoas, and I let them be for about six months. The zoas did fine but never spread at all. Once I carefully pulled the worms out from between the zoas, they took off and started spreading right away. So I'd say they are fine to be in the tank as long as they aren't too close to other corals that they might irritate.

And just for the record, I agree that a couple vermetid snails are completely harmless and are good members of the cleanup crew. Once you have dozens or hundreds per gallon, though, you may not feel the same way. They also irritate zoas, and if conditions are right in the tank they can really multiply fast. I went from a couple to several hundred in about six months.

no its a spionid worm, no mucous threads!!

vermetids don't burrow, they are totally sessile snails.

does he get mercy of life in prison? Quarter size, you could keep him in an old tupperware container or large pickle jar lol

Ok, that is good news re: spinoid. I didn't like the idea of all the mucous threads I read about with vermetids.

And yeah, I couldn't bring myself to end its life - my husband put him into his monster tank, along with the other crab and the sea cucumber! He's named him Crabcifer, which I sure think is appropriate since he took out 8 snails in my tank at last count. The other crab is named Frankie for Frankenstein. Sea cuc is nameless for the moment.

Yay for crab catching! omgomgomg

I agree on the other critter - I've had those before, as well as vermetid snails. I never knew they were called spionid worms but that looks right. From your picture they definitely aren't vermetid snails.

My spionid worms were embedded with some zoas, and I let them be for about six months. The zoas did fine but never spread at all. Once I carefully pulled the worms out from between the zoas, they took off and started spreading right away. So I'd say they are fine to be in the tank as long as they aren't too close to other corals that they might irritate.

And just for the record, I agree that a couple vermetid snails are completely harmless and are good members of the cleanup crew. Once you have dozens or hundreds per gallon, though, you may not feel the same way. They also irritate zoas, and if conditions are right in the tank they can really multiply fast. I went from a couple to several hundred in about six months.

This is great info! Thanks Teeny!

Now just take the crab out of the shot glass so you can celebrate (need something to put the vodka in)

I don't think I've ever been so happy to catch something. Seriously :)

attachicon.gifIMG_2958.JPG

I caught the crab!!! Two down! I hope there aren't any more. Here's a photo. He started out the size of a pencil eraser when I first noticed him and he's about the size of a quarter now.

:happydance:

Ok, that is good news re: spinoid. I didn't like the idea of all the mucous threads I read about with vermetids.

And yeah, I couldn't bring myself to end its life - my husband put him into his monster tank, along with the other crab and the sea cucumber! He's named him Crabcifer, which I sure think is appropriate since he took out 8 snails in my tank at last count. The other crab is named Frankie for Frankenstein. Sea cuc is nameless for the moment.

This is great info! Thanks Teeny!

I don't think I've ever been so happy to catch something. Seriously :)

Crabcifer LOLOLOL. Too funny. I'm glad you saved him. I don't like to kill things off either. It's not their fault they

made it into our tanks, why kill them :). My bad crabs end up in my sump.

I checked it out too, that's a steal. Thanks Stella!

YEEEEESSSSSS!!!! So glad you caught him!!! His claws kind of remind me of an emerald but his coloring and eyes look like the devil incarnate so that name is perfect. Congrats!!!!

YEEEEESSSSSS!!!! So glad you caught him!!! His claws kind of remind me of an emerald but his coloring and eyes look like the devil incarnate so that name is perfect. Congrats!!!!

I couldn't get a good picture of his claws. They were fat! they look pretty thin in the photo I took. I am SO glad he is out of there.

Well, I ended up doing a more than 1 gallon daily water change today. The cyano is still popping up in places. I rescaped a bit - I wasn't liking the big wall on the right and I wanted to create a few more caves. Lights are down in this photo since I was trying to give everyone some relax time after freaking them all out rearranging rocks. Mona (female clown) chases my hand around the tank, nipping at me, whenever I'm moving stuff around. The feather duster needs a support so I need to figure that out. It is very tightly attached to rock, so I'm not moving it from that spot, just need to figure out some support for its tube.

You can't really see it in this picture, but I have the pink stylo at the top center/right. It really has darkened to a nice magenta/pink color and has actually grown some since I got it a couple weeks ago. Yay!

I cannot find one of my hermits, so I'm hoping he's somewhere hermiting rather than stuck somewhere under a rock I moved.

post-87057-0-05833600-1428712687_thumb.jpg

Yay! i don't think it's actually possible to kill a hermit without a hammer :)

Or an emerald crab.

Looking good. I like the new scape. Your feather duster is huge!!! You could use small rubble rock to wedge him into place. That's the only thing I can think of without affixing him to a rod of some sort.

Or an emerald crab.

Looking good. I like the new scape. Your feather duster is huge!!! You could use small rubble rock to wedge him into place. That's the only thing I can think of without affixing him to a rod of some sort.

Good thought! He is big. He's grown quite a bit since I go him in Feb. Although after reading how hard they are to keep happy, I've purposely target fed him every day to every other day and once I started that, he really started to grow.

Your tank looks really nice! Glad you were able to get that gnarly crab out of there :)

Thank you :) ME TOOOO!! Your tank is awesome!

Yay! i don't think it's actually possible to kill a hermit without a hammer :)

HA! You're probably right! I love the two hermits - and I'm glad they haven't bothered anything they shouldn't.

Someone needs a grooming! I've slacked on grooming Franklin and Iko - they take so freaking long given how big they are. So, right now they're looking a little yak-ish.

post-87057-0-38373400-1428759294_thumb.jpgpost-87057-0-15519500-1428759295_thumb.jpg

Archived