Cultivated Reef

StellaBlue's da Vinci Cube - RETIRED

ReefWeeds

The freaky spider thing, I have seen someting like this before and it was identified as the tentacles of a sea cucumber. Not sure if that is what you ahve though. The one I saw was imbedded in the rockwork with only the tentacles showing. Your creature just reminded me of it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The freaky spider thing, I have seen someting like this before and it was identified as the tentacles of a sea cucumber. Not sure if that is what you ahve though. The one I saw was imbedded in the rockwork with only the tentacles showing. Your creature just reminded me of it.

That could be! I don't see a tube, which I know with Tube worms they don't always show. Sea cuc is a good thought too. I did find a larger one that I pulled out and put in the monster tank.

Good for the first! And aww man, Chloe!!! Stella would get sick of the stuff with the proteins mixed in which is why we went with the preference ultimately. But even then, we sometimes have to crumble up some freeze-dried liver and put it on top to get her to eat it. These girls - they're so high maintenance!

He's for sure in the monster tank!! I don't trust any hitchhiker crabs :) I need to order more snails since Crabcifer ate so many of them. Reef Cleaners, here i come :)

What kind of liver is the freeze-dried?

Your husband's tank is really sharp looking! Cool monster tank :).

What kind of liver is the freeze-dried?

Your husband's tank is really sharp looking! Cool monster tank :).

Simply Nourish freeze dried beef liver. It's not cheap ($15 for a small bag!), but she loves it! And we just literally crumble it into dust and just sprinkly on top of the food.

yeah, I think the tank is really cool looking. It's a great little 6 gal.

Simply Nourish freeze dried beef liver. It's not cheap ($15 for a small bag!), but she loves it! And we just literally crumble it into dust and just sprinkly on top of the food.

yeah, I think the tank is really cool looking. It's a great little 6 gal.

I'll have to look for that :). I'll see if she turns her nose up at the food today. I think it may be too watery and I was thinking of mixing it early in the day to let it really soak, and keep it refrigerated until lunch time. Yeah...high maintenance is right LOL.

I'll have to look for that :). I'll see if she turns her nose up at the food today. I think it may be too watery and I was thinking of mixing it early in the day to let it really soak, and keep it refrigerated until lunch time. Yeah...high maintenance is right LOL.

Not sure if you're using warm water, but that seems to make Stella like it better - probably because it is stinkier. And by sprinkly, I really meant sprinkle on top! haha

So, I work from home - which is great, I love it - and when I get frustrated with work or need a break, I walk over to the tank and spy at everything. I just noticed a ton (TON) of baby snails, all walking around the top of the sand. I'm hoping they're just the result of some of the millions of eggs my snails lay hatching and not some pest like pyramid snails or something. Here are a few photos. I also found a corner of the tank that apparently I missed with the scraper :)

post-87057-0-54964800-1428943636_thumb.jpgpost-87057-0-17481500-1428943706_thumb.jpg

Thank you, Spanko!!!! You know, I just realized, the hitchhiker crab ate over half of my snail population of cerith and nassarius - I'm down to about 3 cerith and 5 nassarius from 10 and 11. And duh - that's when I started seeing small patches. And definitely good info about increasing flow. That and getting more snails, as well as keeping up with the daily siphoning - I hope I can keep it at bay without chemicals. Definitely appreciate the help.

It's pretty soft - I have a couple halemida in there and that is definitely thicker than this bushy one. It isn't growing too fast - Since January, it has grown less than an inch. So it seems to grow slow like halemida!

OMG! Don't they break glass??? Who knows - maybe there's one in the big piece of covered with live LR Jeff got yesterday.

My friend's never broke the glass. It was a peacock mantis. So pretty. It did eat all of his snails and crabs though. Lol. I wouldn't risk it in that flu all though. I love those tanks too much.

Not sure if you're using warm water, but that seems to make Stella like it better - probably because it is stinkier. And by sprinkly, I really meant sprinkle on top! haha

So, I work from home - which is great, I love it - and when I get frustrated with work or need a break, I walk over to the tank and spy at everything. I just noticed a ton (TON) of baby snails, all walking around the top of the sand. I'm hoping they're just the result of some of the millions of eggs my snails lay hatching and not some pest like pyramid snails or something. Here are a few photos. I also found a corner of the tank that apparently I missed with the scraper :)

attachicon.gifbaby snails.jpgattachicon.gifbaby snails2.jpg

Working from home is the best :).

So I've decided to start a homemade dog food diet for Chloe and Jack. I'll see how it goes. I bought a recipe book today for them :).

Husbands tank looks good :) I'd say a few fish wouldn't hurt in there

HA! probably not. But they need to be something that can get away from crabs for sure!

2 reefers in the family his tank looks good!

It's a slick tank. A pain to maintain though with the sealed top - I know a lot of people will open up the top of the edge, but I like the look of it sealed. You only have so much room though to move stuff around. But as long as you know that, you can work around it for sure.

Working from home is the best :).

So I've decided to start a homemade dog food diet for Chloe and Jack. I'll see how it goes. I bought a recipe book today for them :).

It really is. Although I do miss office camaraderie occasionally. Jeff works from home too - although he is on the road a lot.

How's the homemade dog food going??? I make dog treats often. I'll send you the recipe if you'd like! I actually registered a business to start an all-natural, grain free and mostly organic dog treat company. I just haven't had the time to get it going.

I know you got some new things from Cultivated Reef. Any pictures yet??? :)

I have some I took with my cell phone - everything is in the little coral QT tank at the moment. And embarrassingly enough, I seriously can't figure out how to take photos of the tank with the DSLR camera. Or whatever the heck it is. Jeff has a Cannon Rebel XT and a newer Nikon 800 (or something like that) with all these different lenses. But I need a macro lens.

OHHHHHHHH! What all did you get?

I got a few acans, an orange ricordea, a blue mushroom, nuclear green palys, a blue digitata, an orange digitata, darth maul porites (I swear I got it because the name cracked me up, but the colors look really cool!).

I got a few acans, an orange ricordea, a blue mushroom, nuclear green palys, a blue digitata, an orange digitata, darth maul porites (I swear I got it because the name cracked me up, but the colors look really cool!).

I don't think I've seen a digitata? But I'm excited about the ric!!! I'm making my 4 gal in to a ric garden?

I don't think I've seen a digitata? But I'm excited about the ric!!! I'm making my 4 gal in to a ric garden?

They're a montipora - I'm excited to see how they do! Until I make the jump to Dave's NanoBox retro, I'm keeping to SPS that are easy and don't have super high light requirements. Are you getting excited for graduation??

You can be surprised what fish can coexist with crustaceans, I've had crayfish and goldfish or minnows coexisting before, also my crabs live with a little goby

Well, since my coral photos suck, I figured I'd post this one of Franklin and Stella! They were sleeping like this but of course Stella woke up when I went to go take the photo:

post-87057-0-99363000-1429149047_thumb.jpg

They're a montipora - I'm excited to see how they do! Until I make the jump to Dave's NanoBox retro, I'm keeping to SPS that are easy and don't have super high light requirements. Are you getting excited for graduation??

Right? I'm getting a nano box too. My light is just way too intense for the rics and doesn't showcase their colors well. And OMG. More like freaking out. Hahaha. It's so close! Only three more days of regular classes (I do tuesday and Thursday classes) and finals then graduation!!!! Thanks for asking. Lol. Your tank will look so great with the nano box though!! I can't wait for the both of us!!!!!

digi and porites. Pics or it never happened

HAHA! Ok, ok. Well, things are still washed out from shipping. AND I forgot to turn the timer off my frag tank light so I helped to bleach out the sps a bit yesterday :( ANYWAY, here are my crappy photos!!!

post-87057-0-37076500-1429188315_thumb.jpg

post-87057-0-65225700-1429188350_thumb.jpg

post-87057-0-47570500-1429188370_thumb.jpg

post-87057-0-35547400-1429188406_thumb.jpg

post-87057-0-55658800-1429188452_thumb.jpg

post-87057-0-75889900-1429188391_thumb.jpg

The ric you got are my favorite colored ones. (I say that to all of them so they feel equally loved) ha ha ha. But seriously. The two toned ones look awesome. Those pics aren't so bad!

HA! probably not. But they need to be something that can get away from crabs for sure!

It's a slick tank. A pain to maintain though with the sealed top - I know a lot of people will open up the top of the edge, but I like the look of it sealed. You only have so much room though to move stuff around. But as long as you know that, you can work around it for sure.

It really is. Although I do miss office camaraderie occasionally. Jeff works from home too - although he is on the road a lot.

How's the homemade dog food going??? I make dog treats often. I'll send you the recipe if you'd like! I actually registered a business to start an all-natural, grain free and mostly organic dog treat company. I just haven't had the time to get it going.

I have some I took with my cell phone - everything is in the little coral QT tank at the moment. And embarrassingly enough, I seriously can't figure out how to take photos of the tank with the DSLR camera. Or whatever the heck it is. Jeff has a Cannon Rebel XT and a newer Nikon 800 (or something like that) with all these different lenses. But I need a macro lens.

I haven't started making it yet. I've discovered that Chloe is allergic to rabbit :wacko:. After all that searching for things that are rabbit too. I gave her a rabbit treat the other day and she started scratching. I fed her the frozen rabbit the other day too and immediately after her meal she was rubbing her face. I have a bag of frozen rabbit patties that Jack will have to eat now. Ugh. But she's fine with fish and I tried pheasant yesterday...she's fine with that. Stella & Chewy's has dehydrated (what I tried) and frozen pheasant so I'll go with that brand. OMG...this is ridiculous trying to find things that work! I still plan to cook for them too. When you get the business going...make a pheasant treat :lol:.

I love your new corals :wub:. Blue digitata is on my wish list :).

Archived