inTank Media Baskets

StellaBlue's da Vinci Cube - RETIRED

ReefWeeds

A couple days ago, I ordered he Nano Flipper. The green hard algae was bugging the crap out of me on the glass and I had tried all sorts of scrapers - none of which worked great and the green hard crap just kept building. I wanted something that was thin profile, a magnet and with a stainless steal scraper attachment. With the somewhat rounded front of the BC and the rounded corners, I wasn't sure it would work, but at this point, nothing else was working. I got it today and just finished scraping all the glass. The thing is the best invention ever. You have to use it horizontally on curved fronts/corners and the corners took a little time, but this thing is freaking amazing. I haven't used the scrubber side and I haven't tried the whole "flip" thing, but the scraper works like a charm. I have a two little fishes nano mag that is great for non-calcerous algae and I just keep that on the glass up in a corner. This one I won't keep in the tank due to the metal - but who cares? BEST INVENTION EVER.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stella totally rules the roost! I think she thinks she is the one that is 75 lbs and the others think they're 20. I love how that always seems to be the case - the little girl dogs always are the princesses :wub:

I like a lot of the ORA corals and I like what they stand for - of course they tend to be more $$ - but I like some of the montis they have. They also have mandarins that are captive bred and supposedly eat frozen prepared food, so maybe sometime down the line I'll try one. Right now, I'm happy with just the two clowns though! But I keep looking at the clown gobies. The green striped ones are so cute.

HA! I figured it was the colors - and just creating your own little ecosystem, but I really think you're on to something with the chemicals in the water!

My husband isn't AS into it ... yet :) I think I'm annoying him with all my "where do you think I should put this" and "you have to see this" and "want to go with me to X to see some corals??". He thinks I'm a little nuts! But he is building a little wine cellar area and wants to put a tank in the wall as kind of a window into the wine room. He is having fun with the monster tank though. Although I was so excited I caught one of the darn crabs, I just dumped it into his tank without acclimating so we'll see if it makes it. Although it made it through my tank cycle and apparently through the "out of the water" time with the piece of rock it came in on.

I love your grandis! After reading some articles on the poisonous nature of palys and zoas I was kind of scared to add some to my tank :) And that is hilarious about your husband. How long have you been at this hobby?

Oh cool! I remember an awesome build on Reef Central with a large tank in the wall and a wine cellar behind it! Did

he get the idea from there by chance?

I've been at this on my own since 2000 but before that my dad hooked me with his love for the hobby :). I used to

help him with his reef tank(s) in the early 90s. LOVED going to the LFS with him to look at all the pretty things :).

A couple days ago, I ordered he Nano Flipper. The green hard algae was bugging the crap out of me on the glass and I had tried all sorts of scrapers - none of which worked great and the green hard crap just kept building. I wanted something that was thin profile, a magnet and with a stainless steal scraper attachment. With the somewhat rounded front of the BC and the rounded corners, I wasn't sure it would work, but at this point, nothing else was working. I got it today and just finished scraping all the glass. The thing is the best invention ever. You have to use it horizontally on curved fronts/corners and the corners took a little time, but this thing is freaking amazing. I haven't used the scrubber side and I haven't tried the whole "flip" thing, but the scraper works like a charm. I have a two little fishes nano mag that is great for non-calcerous algae and I just keep that on the glass up in a corner. This one I won't keep in the tank due to the metal - but who cares? BEST INVENTION EVER.

The Flipper is awesome! I have the full size one and it works great :). Maybe I should pick up the nano version for

my 8g. I need something to get the hard stuff on the glass.

Oh cool! I remember an awesome build on Reef Central with a large tank in the wall and a wine cellar behind it! Did

he get the idea from there by chance?

I've been at this on my own since 2000 but before that my dad hooked me with his love for the hobby :). I used to

help him with his reef tank(s) in the early 90s. LOVED going to the LFS with him to look at all the pretty things :).

The Flipper is awesome! I have the full size one and it works great :). Maybe I should pick up the nano version for

my 8g. I need something to get the hard stuff on the glass.

I think he actually saw something similar in the Wine Spectator magazine or something! I can't wait to see how it all turns out. I'll have to tell him to go check out Reef Central!

I bet that must've been fun - and I bet the hobby has changed a lot over the years. How cool. And re: the nano flipper - it's a great size. I kinda wish I got the larger one now for the BC, but the little one worked just fine. What a great tool.

I think he actually saw something similar in the Wine Spectator magazine or something! I can't wait to see how it all turns out. I'll have to tell him to go check out Reef Central!

I bet that must've been fun - and I bet the hobby has changed a lot over the years. How cool. And re: the nano flipper - it's a great size. I kinda wish I got the larger one now for the BC, but the little one worked just fine. What a great tool.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same tank from RC that was featured in the magazine. It was a pretty amazing build :).

So what's next on your "to-buy" list? Besides my gobies, I think I want to get one of those ORA mint pavonas now. Maybe

when I make my trip to Unique Corals in a couple of weeks, I'll pick one up from them.

Most likely not enough! Is there ever enough???

One of our cats (McGannihan) is obsessed with the tank. He sits next to it, obsessed especially with the shrimp. We now refer to the tank as Mac TV.

attachicon.gifMacTV.jpg attachicon.gifMcGannihan.jpg

I wish my cats would tank watch lol...Tank looks great! Ill be following along.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same tank from RC that was featured in the magazine. It was a pretty amazing build :).

So what's next on your "to-buy" list? Besides my gobies, I think I want to get one of those ORA mint pavonas now. Maybe

when I make my trip to Unique Corals in a couple of weeks, I'll pick one up from them.

Well, so, the to buy list: I'm having trouble figuring it out! haha! I love gobies so I've been contemplating either:

• YW/pistol pair (but am a little nervous about the pistol tearing up the bottom of the tank)
  • a green or yellow clown goby
  • 2 or 3 neon gobies (I was reading that they do well in groups of three or more, but not sure yet)
  • a sand sifter (pink bar).

I'm paranoid about increasing my bioload too much and too early, so I think I'll wait on the fish

In terms of corals, I can't freaking make up my mind! I love acans and opened some real estate in the bottom front left. but I also LOVE montis. Oh and ricordeas and some mushrooms - need some of those. So much stuff! I can't make up my mind!

I really love the mint pavona. It DEFINITELY favors lighting on the blue side. It looks more golden than mint under my day lights, but looks awesome under actinic and my moonlight LEDs. The shape is really cool. If these frags were grown out to more than just a teeny tiny spot, I'd send ya one!

(Editing as I just realized it sounded like I wanted to add ALL those gobies. Only contemplating one of those options - just not sure which yet).

I wish my cats would tank watch lol...Tank looks great! Ill be following along.

One of our cats could care less. I kinda wish Mac cared a BIT less. He seems to like to sneeze when he's sitting by the tank - especially right after I've cleaned the outside of the glass. So then I've got some nice cat boogers to clean :)

Well, I finally figured out what my unidentified mystery coral is. A merulina - which by all accounts is difficult to maintain. Neat looking coral, but not for me - I certainly don't need difficult. So, I'm going to bring it to my LFS and trade it for something else.

post-87057-0-82542700-1427988720_thumb.jpg

post-87057-0-88354600-1427988733_thumb.jpg

A couple of photos of what I am certain is the merulina. Yeah, my photos suck. I need to figure out the lens on my normal camera and quit using the iPhone. It definitely doesn't work with LEDs.

Well, so, the to buy list: I'm having trouble figuring it out! haha! I love gobies so I've been contemplating either:

• YW/pistol pair (but am a little nervous about the pistol tearing up the bottom of the tank)
  • a green or yellow clown goby
  • 2 or 3 neon gobies (I was reading that they do well in groups of three or more, but not sure yet)
  • a sand sifter (pink bar).

I'm paranoid about increasing my bioload too much and too early, so I think I'll wait on the fish

In terms of corals, I can't freaking make up my mind! I love acans and opened some real estate in the bottom front left. but I also LOVE montis. Oh and ricordeas and some mushrooms - need some of those. So much stuff! I can't make up my mind!

I really love the mint pavona. It DEFINITELY favors lighting on the blue side. It looks more golden than mint under my day lights, but looks awesome under actinic and my moonlight LEDs. The shape is really cool. If these frags were grown out to more than just a teeny tiny spot, I'd send ya one!

(Editing as I just realized it sounded like I wanted to add ALL those gobies. Only contemplating one of those options - just not sure which yet).

Well, you probably know I love gobies...so I love your list :). LOL...it's so hard to decide, I know.

I say get a few of each of your favorite corals!

I've read the pavona prefers low to moderate lighting and lower flow...interesting. And looks best under bluer lighting.

Well, you probably know I love gobies...so I love your list :). LOL...it's so hard to decide, I know.

I say get a few of each of your favorite corals!

I've read the pavona prefers low to moderate lighting and lower flow...interesting. And looks best under bluer lighting.

I think you have neon gobies! Do they do better in groups? I think they're so cute! And yeah, I really love your thinking about the corals!

I'm so stinking mad at the mean white puny hitchhiker crab with the red eyes. I cannot catch the guy and he is decimating my snail population. I had the trap in, a nassarius was moving towards it and the crab swiftly grabbed it and made a dinner out of it. I think i'm down to 4 from 12 nassarius and maybe 4 cerith from 10. &^#&*@( crab!

I think you have neon gobies! Do they do better in groups? I think they're so cute! And yeah, I really love your thinking about the corals!

I'm so stinking mad at the mean white puny hitchhiker crab with the red eyes. I cannot catch the guy and he is decimating my snail population. I had the trap in, a nassarius was moving towards it and the crab swiftly grabbed it and made a dinner out of it. I think i'm down to 4 from 12 nassarius and maybe 4 cerith from 10. &^#&*@( crab!

Yep...I have 2. They were a mated/bonded pair. But I had to break them up because the female was picking on my clam.

She's in my 8g tank now and the male is in my 45g. They are doing fine as singles. I'm not sure on the group thing.

I know a lot of gobies do fine in groups of 3 or 5 so it's probably ok.

Try catching the crab at night. Take a shot glass and put some meaty food in it. Place it at an angle against your rock. The crab will

go in to get the food but he won't be able to climb back out because it's too slippery. That's if your current trap

isn't working for him. Good luck!!! The only good crab is a pom pom, in my experience :). Or a cooked one LOL.

Good luck!!! The only good crab is a pom pom, in my experience :). Or a cooked one LOL.

My opinion at the moment is a cooked one :)

post-87057-0-60935800-1428070801_thumb.jpg

Goin' Crabbin' again. Trying the shot glass method (thanks Gena :)) this time - well, actually a cordial glass since none of the shot glasses I could find were bare glass, they all seemed to have some sort of paint on them. We'll see if this works. I'm definitely crossing my fingers. This guy ate a trochus this AM. A freaking massive trochus! I will definitely need to buy more snails - after I catch this guy. The shrimp seems to want to be caught.

Finally came up with a couple names for my skunk cleaners: Cadmium and Scarlet. Since Vit and Mona are art-inspired names, I figured I'd stick with that theme.

I've been moving a lot of stuff around lately trying to catch crabs. After stirring the front of the SB, the next day, I noticed about a 5" patch of what seemed to be cyano growing. Clear-ish slime coat with some air bubbles stuck inside. I readjusted the powerheads, siphoned and stirred and so far, so good. Been two days and no sign, so I hope I got it!

... and no success on crapping the trab. Ok, I typed that and it cracked me up so I had to leave it.

Your tank is going through it's ugly stages. Cyano is just one of them. Totally normal. As long as you keep up with your water changes and cleaning, it will go away with time.

That darn crapping trab LOL. Try catching him at night. Stalk the tank after dark. I was able to get one of mine that way. He was walking the perimeter of the tank along the glass and I was able to scoop him out with a net :).

Sorry I keep blowing up your notifications with liking all of your photos. I'm looking at doing a 29 biocube when I move into my next apartment, so I'm researching until then. So I'll be following along. :D

Sorry I keep blowing up your notifications with liking all of your photos. I'm looking at doing a 29 biocube when I move into my next apartment, so I'm researching until then. So I'll be following along. :D

haha! Blow up the notifications all you want!!! I love the biocube (so far). Can't wait to see yours when it is set up!!

haha! Blow up the notifications all you want!!! I love the biocube (so far). Can't wait to see yours when it is set up!!

Ha ha. Will do. I'll let you know when I start it. I've still got about 3 and 1/2 months but I am so excited about it. I'm thinking about getting a black snowflake pair. My lfs has a local breeder and they always have millions of different types of clown fish.

Ha ha. Will do. I'll let you know when I start it. I've still got about 3 and 1/2 months but I am so excited about it. I'm thinking about getting a black snowflake pair. My lfs has a local breeder and they always have millions of different types of clown fish.

clowns are a lot of fun I'm finding. Just looked at your tank thread. Very cool!

Your tank is going through it's ugly stages. Cyano is just one of them. Totally normal. As long as you keep up with your water changes and cleaning, it will go away with time.

That darn crapping trab LOL. Try catching him at night. Stalk the tank after dark. I was able to get one of mine that way. He was walking the perimeter of the tank along the glass and I was able to scoop him out with a net :).

Yeah, it sure is! Especially with the frag plug and epoxy lawn ornament look going on. I went through the whole "freak out" part thinking what am I doing wrong and why am I getting cyano and did a bunch of reading. If the cleaning doesn't keep up, I think i'm going to start doing small WCs daily or 3-4 x a week instead of 5 gal weekly.

clowns are a lot of fun I'm finding. Just looked at your tank thread. Very cool!

Yeah, it sure is! Especially with the frag plug and epoxy lawn ornament look going on. I went through the whole "freak out" part thinking what am I doing wrong and why am I getting cyano and did a bunch of reading. If the cleaning doesn't keep up, I think i'm going to start doing small WCs daily or 3-4 x a week instead of 5 gal weekly.

Oh, God. lol. It's such a mess. Thank you. I'm getting there.

I didn't even notice the frag plug and expoxy lawn ornament LOL. I just meant the algae. You'll go through ugly algae stages. It's happened to me with every tank I've owned :). Don't freak out about it. You'll go through a few of these phases before the tank gets stable. But keeping up with maintenance will definitely help.

I didn't even notice the frag plug and expoxy lawn ornament LOL. I just meant the algae. You'll go through ugly algae stages. It's happened to me with every tank I've owned :). Don't freak out about it. You'll go through a few of these phases before the tank gets stable. But keeping up with maintenance will definitely help

A good ol' case of the uglies. Happens to the best.

I didn't even notice the frag plug and expoxy lawn ornament LOL. I just meant the algae. You'll go through ugly algae stages. It's happened to me with every tank I've owned :). Don't freak out about it. You'll go through a few of these phases before the tank gets stable. But keeping up with maintenance will definitely help.

A good ol' case of the uglies. Happens to the best.

Hopefully my obsessive cleaning will get rid of it. WC day. I think I'll start a gallon a day on Tuesday or Wednesday of this coming week and see what that does.

I split the toadstool rock and put one of them in a temp place while I'm crab hunting. This leather has gotten so big in the past 6 weeks. It is now the size of a baseball when extended. Crazy.

Second photo: Vit photobombing.

post-87057-0-17547700-1428264337_thumb.jpg post-87057-0-09178800-1428264352_thumb.jpg

Archived