Top Shelf Aquatics

StellaBlue's da Vinci Cube - RETIRED

ReefWeeds

Hopefully my obsessive cleaning will get rid of it. WC day. I think I'll start a gallon a day on Tuesday or Wednesday of this coming week and see what that does.

I split the toadstool rock and put one of them in a temp place while I'm crab hunting. This leather has gotten so big in the past 6 weeks. It is now the size of a baseball when extended. Crazy.

Second photo: Vit photobombing.

attachicon.giftoadstool.jpg attachicon.gifVit photobombing.jpg

I've started my daily water change on the 8g and it's going really well! That tank was getting filthy and really needs it.

Your clownfish is soooo pretty! I bet they start using the toadstool as a host. It's so cool when they do that and toadstools

won't move around like an anemone would. I can see your clownfish eyeing that toadstool already :lol:.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've started my daily water change on the 8g and it's going really well! That tank was getting filthy and really needs it.

Your clownfish is soooo pretty! I bet they start using the toadstool as a host. It's so cool when they do that and toadstools

won't move around like an anemone would. I can see your clownfish eyeing that toadstool already :lol:.

It actually seems like it would be easier to do daily water changes. Lugging around 5 gallons of water gets old.

Ha! Thanks! He is so small compared to the female. She keeps growing and growing and I swear he's still only an inch long! They do seem to eye it - so here's to hoping! Right now, he really likes hosting the thermometer!

Awesome pictures! Just keep up the WC schedule and you'll be fine.

Thank you! And I will be sure to.

It actually seems like it would be easier to do daily water changes. Lugging around 5 gallons of water gets old.

Ha! Thanks! He is so small compared to the female. She keeps growing and growing and I swear he's still only an inch long! They do seem to eye it - so here's to hoping! Right now, he really likes hosting the thermometer!

My clowns are the same way! My male seems like he hasn't grown an inch!

When I helped a friend throw together his 14g biocube, his clown fish hosted the thermometer too. That's why I love clown fish. Such querky little creatures like us. ha ha.

I just got caught up with your thread - great job! I've really enjoyed following along in your learning process :)

I'll offer one more crab trap suggestion in case you're still working on it. I made one by cutting off the top of a plastic water bottle and sticking it back in the bottle upside down, so that the opening of the bottle top is pointing down into the body of the bottle. Bait it with his favorite food (er, maybe not one of your snails...) and put it near where he hangs out. Like Gena said, you may have better luck at night.

I may have just gotten incredibly luck, but I caught my emerald crab this way less than 20 minutes after putting the trap in the tank.

Love your toadstool - it's beautiful. And those clowns :wub:

I just got caught up with your thread - great job! I've really enjoyed following along in your learning process :)

I'll offer one more crab trap suggestion in case you're still working on it. I made one by cutting off the top of a plastic water bottle and sticking it back in the bottle upside down, so that the opening of the bottle top is pointing down into the body of the bottle. Bait it with his favorite food (er, maybe not one of your snails...) and put it near where he hangs out. Like Gena said, you may have better luck at night.

I may have just gotten incredibly luck, but I caught my emerald crab this way less than 20 minutes after putting the trap in the tank.

Love your toadstool - it's beautiful. And those clowns :wub:

Thank you! Your tanks are amazing. Truly. I love looking at your photos. Gives me all sorts of ideas and you've got some great tips on your thread(s).

good suggestions on the crab trapping. I set the shot glass at about 11 PM last night after lights out and kept just one blue LED bar on and watched. He was so close to falling in about 5 times - 3/4 of his body in the glass and kept backing out. SOOOO close. Then a nassarius got too close to the trap, checking it out and the crab went for him. I was able to save the nassarius. This crab is crazy. He goes after anything that comes near him - the shrimp, the clowns, snails, you name it. And he is strong. He was moving the entire glass from underneath - where it was resting tilted on the rock. I couldn't believe it. This crab is small, smaller than a dime and boy, he has killed more things than I would think a big crab would! I get nervous about the fish especially since the two clowns sleep on the sand at the back of the tank.

I'm going to try the soda bottle method next, but given his strength, I think I'll rubber band a rock on there to weight it down.

I found a weird wormy thing (I think) in the "I think it is merulina" coral. I noticed a hole and two antennae coming out - any ideas? Dangerous to other corals? Is this thing going to propagate and spread??? Right now, this is in the QT tank. Thank goodness. Two photos: one a close-up of the antennae and hole and another a shot of the whole piece - where you can see the little antennae coming out - should hopefully give an idea of size.

post-87057-0-05607300-1428340802_thumb.jpg

post-87057-0-74459800-1428340860_thumb.jpg

On a happy note, the last patch of snow finally melted in our yard. This was a LONG winter. A little under 3 weeks ago, our yard looked like this:

post-87057-0-21663300-1428341774_thumb.jpg

I've seen the weird wormy thing before. I never did anything about it and never noticed anything bad. I don't think

I looked up what it is though. Can't remember the ID anyways.

Thank goodness your snow has melted :). How do you like Connecticut? It's on our list of possible relocation destinations.

I've seen the weird wormy thing before. I never did anything about it and never noticed anything bad. I don't think

I looked up what it is though. Can't remember the ID anyways.

Thank goodness your snow has melted :). How do you like Connecticut? It's on our list of possible relocation destinations.

I like it! I grew up in CT, but moved to NYC after college then back to CT and met my husband. We then moved to SE Michigan, then back east to the eastern end of Long Island and then FINALLY back to CT in 2012. Depending on which area of CT, cost of living is insanely high - although I'm sure you're used to that where you live now! We live in the southeastern area of CT and it is not nearly as bad as the southwestern area of CT.

I like it! I grew up in CT, but moved to NYC after college then back to CT and met my husband. We then moved to SE Michigan, then back east to the eastern end of Long Island and then FINALLY back to CT in 2012. Depending on which area of CT, cost of living is insanely high - although I'm sure you're used to that where you live now! We live in the southeastern area of CT and it is not nearly as bad as the southwestern area of CT.

My husband would work in NYC so we're looking at surrounding areas to live in. I guess it depends on if we want a yard or not,

as to where we will end up. I'm thinking I do want a yard :D. I have a cousin that lives on Long Island. She loves it.

Living with snow again would be tough though. I'm really spoiled here.

My husband would work in NYC so we're looking at surrounding areas to live in. I guess it depends on if we want a yard or not,

as to where we will end up. I'm thinking I do want a yard :D. I have a cousin that lives on Long Island. She loves it.

Living with snow again would be tough though. I'm really spoiled here.

There are some awesome areas over that way. Ridgefield, areas surrounding Danbury, etc. Absolutely beautiful and close to the Metro North commuter train. Easy in and out. My husband travels to NYC quite a bit for work, so if you guys need recommendations on travel distances, etc., feel free to ask.

There are some awesome areas over that way. Ridgefield, areas surrounding Danbury, etc. Absolutely beautiful and close to the Metro North commuter train. Easy in and out. My husband travels to NYC quite a bit for work, so if you guys need recommendations on travel distances, etc., feel free to ask.

Thank you :flower:. You better be posting on NR in a few years when we're ready to make the big move. So don't lose interest in this hobby :D.

Thank you :flower:. You better be posting on NR in a few years when we're ready to make the big move. So don't lose interest in this hobby :D.

Oh I will be!!! I'm already planning a 50 gallon I want in the kitchen with a display fuge and cabinetry built around it lol

Eeewwww. Pulled this thing off a rock - still trying to figure out what it is. Right now, I've got it in a cup with a lid in the event this is a good guy and should go back in the tank. It was about 2.5 inches long when I saw it and contracted significantly when I pulled it out.

post-87057-0-15819400-1428360602_thumb.jpg

Eeewwww. Pulled this thing off a rock - still trying to figure out what it is. Right now, I've got it in a cup with a lid in the event this is a good guy and should go back in the tank. It was about 2.5 inches long when I saw it and contracted significantly when I pulled it out.

attachicon.gifgross wormy thing.jpg

he's a sea cucumber, sometimes called a Medusa worm, they have funny sticky skin from litle spikes

Harmless, just they eat a lot and often perish in captivity to what I read.

he's a sea cucumber, sometimes called a Medusa worm, they have funny sticky skin from litle spikes

Nice! thank you! Now I have a place to start with the research - rather than just clear worm with tentacles.

Cute, in a gross booger-y looking way... :wacko:

they even stick to fingers, only they feel like what you think Velcro would feel like if you were a wool sweater.

Archived