inTank Media Baskets

StellaBlue's da Vinci Cube - RETIRED

ReefWeeds

Thank you! And I can't wait to start my 12 long with the swanky overflow/AIO wall/filter basket you're going to make! :happydance:

Ha! You'll have to call it Swanky Tanky.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha! You'll have to call it Swanky Tanky.

I love it! It is totally going to be called that. And I totally forgot to send you the recipe! I'll send right now!

So, here's my idea but I need some advice from all of you. I'm converting the 12 L into an AIO. I don't want to deal with sumps and all that jazz and I really don't want to deal with HOB stuff. And I'm going to have it sit peninsula style. Well, I started thinking about mangroves on one end with a rock island coming out of the water, but did some research and no mangroves. Too crazy and I think the tank is way too small. So then I thought I still want to do the rock island that comes out of the water on the AIO kit end and what I then want to do now is some air plants and orchids. Orchids I can pot up with some moss/chips in a little plastic pot with holes at the bottom and then tuck in the rock work. I can then use RODI to water them. But I'm thinking they'll really like the humidity from the tank (evap and such). What do you guys think?

Also need advice on this: where in the heck can I get complex tonga branch rock? BRS is out. Also out on other stuff. Anyone else recommend good places for dry rock (branch style)?

Ooooo!! Thanks flower! It looks like maybe I could do a mangrove!! I could always take it out of it isn't working

I've never had one myself until I found the seedling on the sand under a mangrove tree a couple weeks back. All the others were connected so I left them alone. So I don't know either what it's going to take for it to even sprout but at least the light is on it. And I know once it has leaves I'm to spritz it w/ RO/DI.

I've never had one myself until I found the seedling on the sand under a mangrove tree a couple weeks back. All the others were connected so I left them alone. So I don't know either what it's going to take for it to even sprout but at least the light is on it. And I know once it has leaves I'm to spritz it w/ RO/DI.

That's cool. Are you going to grow it in one of your tanks?

So, to peel or not to peel. I just posted this request for advice in a separate thread in the beginner's forum. I have these pink and golds that I swear are going to take over my tank. I'd take the rock out and chip off the area they're on, but the rock is one giant piece and all the rest of my rockscape is attached to it/built off of it. So, I'd need to take apart the whole thing, which I think would be way too disruptive. I'm hoping to get y'all's advice on whether it is safe to carefully peel these off the rock, wearing gloves and such, or is it too risky? Am I going to crash my tank with palytoxins? Photo:

OXtMb6I.jpg

stella, I love your vision for Swanky Tanky! (Very clever name flower mama). Have you checked out June's totm? He did something similar with an island that the top came out of the water and he has a plant growing there. His is a 40B though so yours would be a mini version.

A year or so ago I remember seeing a 20g tank that a school teacher set up for his classroom. He didn't want to do a sump either so what he did was partition off the one end and used a canister filter. I can't remember why he partitioned it off instead of just using the canister filter alone? What I do remember is how impressive this classroom tank was and he involved his students in it care. I will try to find info on that tank.

stella, I love your vision for Swanky Tanky! (Very clever name flower mama). Have you checked out June's totm? He did something similar with an island that the top came out of the water and he has a plant growing there. His is a 40B though so yours would be a mini version.

A year or so ago I remember seeing a 20g tank that a school teacher set up for his classroom. He didn't want to do a sump either so what he did was partition off the one end and used a canister filter. I can't remember why he partitioned it off instead of just using the canister filter alone? What I do remember is how impressive this classroom tank was and he involved his students in it care. I will try to find info on that tank.

I did and that tank definitely gave me inspiration! I love it. And LOVE the idea of mangroves. Still toying with that idea.

I definitely want to keep this 12 G "simpler" with MAYBE a cap or two but mostly zoas and LPS. I want to go for color. Plus, I need to figure out how to mount the light. So I'm thinking of mounting it to the wall (shelf on the wall) and having it higher off the tank so I get a larger spread. Then putting the lower light guys in the outer part of the tank. I don't want to buy a new light just yet since I just bought the razor nano. But it is tough trying to find a light that will cover an 8 3/4" x 35" tank :) Since it is only less than 9 inches deep, I'm thinking I can set the light higher up and then possibly increase intensity if I have to. I would love to see that teacher's tank! How cool.

natalia_la_loca

So, to peel or not to peel. I just posted this request for advice in a separate thread in the beginner's forum. I have these pink and golds that I swear are going to take over my tank. I'd take the rock out and chip off the area they're on, but the rock is one giant piece and all the rest of my rockscape is attached to it/built off of it. So, I'd need to take apart the whole thing, which I think would be way too disruptive. I'm hoping to get y'all's advice on whether it is safe to carefully peel these off the rock, wearing gloves and such, or is it too risky? Am I going to crash my tank with palytoxins?

I had those in my Nuvo 8. Removed them from rocks, tore several in the process, did not crash tank. I suggest trying manual removal. Any remaining tissue will turn into new polyps, so you might kill remaining ones with kalk paste.

I had those in my Nuvo 8. Removed them from rocks, tore several in the process, did not crash tank. I suggest trying manual removal. Any remaining tissue will turn into new polyps, so you might kill remaining ones with kalk paste.

Thank you, Natalia! I cannot believe how fast they are growing. I noticed it and realized i'm going to have a tank full of these things and only these things in less than a year if I don't do something!

You're most welcome, good luck. Too bad all zoas don't grow like these do.

No kidding! Although the growth you get on all of yours is spectacular.

Guess what...the classroom tank is on this forum. I was wrong, it was only a 10g. Anyway the title is "My classroom's 10g mixed reef-sps, clam, gorgs, more..." I read through the thread again and he fed the tank a lot but had zero nitrates and phosphates. The partitioned part was for a fuge. Anyway, check it out and see if anything he did could be applied to your new build.

I have some everlasting gobstoppers that seemed to be growing almost as fast as these. I removed them from the rock before they grew off the frag plug and now have them sitting in the sand until I can figure out what I want to do with them.

Guess what...the classroom tank is on this forum. I was wrong, it was only a 10g. Anyway the title is "My classroom's 10g mixed reef-sps, clam, gorgs, more..." I read through the thread again and he fed the tank a lot but had zero nitrates and phosphates. The partitioned part was for a fuge. Anyway, check it out and see if anything he did could be applied to your new build.

Awesome! Thanks Dawn! I'm going to go stalk it right now. Because this is more fun than working....

natalia_la_loca

No kidding! Although the growth you get on all of yours is spectacular.

Ah, if only! I get excellent growth with many of them but have lost several colonies and seen failure to thrive in others. Generally though, small particle feeding + good nutrient export seems to work well.

I took a little video today of morning feeding time. In the early AM, I drop in a few small fish NLS pellets. These guys love them.

Ok, I can't figure out how to embed a youtube video.

jedimasterben

Ok, I can't figure out how to embed a youtube video.

All you do is post the full Youtube link, no embed code or anything, the forum does the rest. :)

New Life Spectrum small fish pellets. These guys love them. I sprinkle a small pinch on top of the water in the AM.

A few fall down to the sand and the hermits love them too and the cleaner shrimp get whatever the hermits don't. I've actually seen my acans and duncans grab and eat them as well which surprised me.

Mr. Microscope

For the pink and golds, just treat it like a pest algae and try to maintain the population at manageable levels. I suggest going in there with gloves and a razor blade. Just carefully remove one or two at a time (like once every day or two). If you don't get them from below the base (where they are attached to the rock), they could grow back, but not faster than you can remove them. So, you're good either way.

If you do manage to remove them in tact maybe glue them on to from plugs or rubble and pass on the love. You could make a few bucks or just give them away to local reefers.

For the pink and golds, just treat it like a pest algae and try to maintain the population at manageable levels. I suggest going in there with gloves and a razor blade. Just carefully remove one or two at a time (like once every day or two). If you don't get them from below the base (where they are attached to the rock), they could grow back, but not faster than you can remove them. So, you're good either way.

If you do manage to remove them in tact maybe glue them on to from plugs or rubble and pass on the love. You could make a few bucks or just give them away to local reefers.

Good advice!!! They're pretty, but holy cow. I saw two more polyps pop up yesterday. Thanks Mr. Microscope!

thecoralbeauty

I love it! It is totally going to be called that. And I totally forgot to send you the recipe! I'll send right now!

So, here's my idea but I need some advice from all of you. I'm converting the 12 L into an AIO. I don't want to deal with sumps and all that jazz and I really don't want to deal with HOB stuff. And I'm going to have it sit peninsula style. Well, I started thinking about mangroves on one end with a rock island coming out of the water, but did some research and no mangroves. Too crazy and I think the tank is way too small. So then I thought I still want to do the rock island that comes out of the water on the AIO kit end and what I then want to do now is some air plants and orchids. Orchids I can pot up with some moss/chips in a little plastic pot with holes at the bottom and then tuck in the rock work. I can then use RODI to water them. But I'm thinking they'll really like the humidity from the tank (evap and such). What do you guys think?

Also need advice on this: where in the heck can I get complex tonga branch rock? BRS is out. Also out on other stuff. Anyone else recommend good places for dry rock (branch style)?

Orchids:

LOVE the idea. LOVE. I cannot say how much I'm in love with the idea of having orchids IN MY FISHTANK! But, a few considerations: Their roots need to be able to drain completely. This is true for any orchid type.

Other consideration is lighting. Orchids generally like direct but filtered sunlight. I'm not sure where you're planning on putting your tank with regards to windows, but also consider how they might act funky under tank lights. It could work, it could be too much. Phals generally like less light, Vanda's generally like tons.

The humidity would be great for them.

Also, you'd want to be able to fertilize them with weak fertilizer on a somewhat consistent basis so you'd have to be able to easily remove them to dunk them/douse them in fertilizer water every few weeks without it being a huge headache.

If you find a way to make this work, you will be my hero forever and I will copy your orchid tank set-up adoringly! :wub:

Orchids:

LOVE the idea. LOVE. I cannot say how much I'm in love with the idea of having orchids IN MY FISHTANK! But, a few considerations: Their roots need to be able to drain completely. This is true for any orchid type.

Other consideration is lighting. Orchids generally like direct but filtered sunlight. I'm not sure where you're planning on putting your tank with regards to windows, but also consider how they might act funky under tank lights. It could work, it could be too much. Phals generally like less light, Vanda's generally like tons.

The humidity would be great for them.

Also, you'd want to be able to fertilize them with weak fertilizer on a somewhat consistent basis so you'd have to be able to easily remove them to dunk them/douse them in fertilizer water every few weeks without it being a huge headache.

If you find a way to make this work, you will be my hero forever and I will copy your orchid tank set-up adoringly! :wub:

GOOD ADVICE! LOVE IT! Mangrove and Orchids (if I can figure out the orchid part) and some air plants. Or just a mangrove and orchids. I want to do some small orchid varieties. Need to research! Maybe I can drill some holes in the rocks to fit some little pots, then plant the orchids in those little plastic pots that sit in the main pot. This way I can just remove the plastic pot for fertilization and such. Hmm. Lots to think about!

And there is literally NO place in our house that does not get indirect sunlight ad I'm not kidding. I counted and we have 73 windows in this old house. Love the natural light, but it gets drafty. I'll be putting the tank in the sunroom which gets actually gets much less sunlight in the summer due to shade trees even though it faces south. Lots of sun in the winter, but since the winter sun is weaker, I'm thinking I'll be ok.

On the hunt for dry base rock in interesting formations to work with. On another note, I also was looking into a reef safe cement to build up my plant island. Anyone ever tried Marco Rock's E Marco? Any negatives? Positives? Does it leach crap?

Archived