SaltCritters.com

StellaBlue's da Vinci Cube - RETIRED

ReefWeeds

I still have my polyclad flatworm cause I couldn't just kill it or let it die!!

I totally understand. Every time I change a filter pad in the sump, I painstakingly pick each micro brittle star off. Nothing should die randomly and I do feel bad feeding live creatures to the seahorses.
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if it was smaller, I'd think of it more like a bug and easily flush it - but it's the size of my palm! Though, I do tend to save spiders if I can... ;)

I SMASH spiders. They freak me out :) When I dumped one of Zia's bags into the tupperware container, the largish brittle star came flying out. I thought for sure it was a big spider that dropped from the ceiling and let out a little yell. Jeff comes running in asking what happened and I tell him. He just rolled his eyes and walked back into the other room.

Well, update on the ATO. I'm freaking FED up. That's the update. Tunze sent out a new pump, but like FlowerMama, I'm having the same problem again. Went through a bunch of trouble shooting with Roger, but to no avail. The pump will pump water for 19 seconds and then shut off. In order to get it to pump, I need to unplug it, plug it back in and it will pump. For 19 seconds. Sent an email back to Roger explaining all the steps and no response.

I also have the Tunze 9001 docline skimmer. So, it does ok for skimming. But it skims pretty wet. No matter how I adjust. Anyway, that's not really the problem I have with it. I'm fine with it skimming wet. what I absolutely hate is 1. Every time I shut off the pump, I have to take the skimmer cup off otherwise it floats and dumps skimmate into my tank. NBD. 2. EVERY time I put the skimmer cup back on, if I hit the skimmer the wrong way, it comes off the magnetic holder and plops to the bottom of my chamber. So then I have to take the media basket out, grab the skimmer, take the magnets off. Clip the skimmer onto the magnet, reattach magnets and try to get the same positioning for water level. Come to find out, falling off the magnet holder is a common problem. I missed that when I did research!

So, while it skims well and while the ATO unit worked great when it did work, I will never buy another Tunze product again. Ever.

Oh, and I've had kinda a frustrating day so I may sound a bit angry, I'm not. Just disgusted with Tunze and the day job kicked me in the rear today :)

Ok, so MAYBE I was a bit harsh above. Tunze is sending out another pump.... frustration got the best of me for a bit :blush:

I gave up after they sent me a replacement and it too stopped working. That and hearing about the Smart ATOs cracking made me just realize I would be better off w/ my 40g just topping off in the morning and evening with a pitcher rather than bending down under a cabinet and refilling the ATO tub. HOB skimmer on the 40g for the flowers and I'll be done. But I plan to be moving down the line in 4 mos so no point in setting them up right now. I hate them having to be separated in two tanks right now.

I gave up after they sent me a replacement and it too stopped working. That and hearing about the Smart ATOs cracking made me just realize I would be better off w/ my 40g just topping off in the morning and evening with a pitcher rather than bending down under a cabinet and refilling the ATO tub. HOB skimmer on the 40g for the flowers and I'll be done. But I plan to be moving down the line in 4 mos so no point in setting them up right now. I hate them having to be separated in two tanks right now.

Yeah, good point. My only concern is the fact that the Tunze skimmer doesn't work very well unless waterline is consistently the same. hmm..

I keep forgetting to post parameters here. Been trying to work out my dosing and figured this is a good place to keep it along with my trusty pink notebook :)

Kh 9.5

Ca 440

Mag 1300

Phosphates looks like 0, but I think it might be one step up from that on the salifert test. Stupid color matching.

Nitrates 4.5

Current dosing 3 ML/daily each of seachem reef fusion 1 & 2

I've always used JBJ ATO's and I have never had an issue. The one I have now on my tank has been running for several years and its super reliable. Really can't complain and they're one of the cheapest options out there.

I've always used JBJ ATO's and I have never had an issue. The one I have now on my tank has been running for several years and its super reliable. Really can't complain and they're one of the cheapest options out there.

Great to hear since I just bought one from Gena :)

I SMASH spiders. They freak me out :) When I dumped one of Zia's bags into the tupperware container, the largish brittle star came flying out. I thought for sure it was a big spider that dropped from the ceiling and let out a little yell. Jeff comes running in asking what happened and I tell him. He just rolled his eyes and walked back into the other room.

Lmao

I get called at work all the time to kill spiders. Not that other people won't do it, they just know I'm petrified and will literally run away if it moves towards me and they think it's funny.

Lmao

I get called at work all the time to kill spiders. Not that other people won't do it, they just know I'm petrified and will literally run away if it moves towards me and they think it's funny.

HA! No wonder we get along. That's hilarious. There was a gigantic spider out near the back door one night when I was out with the dogs - there was NO way I was going back in through that door. the body was probably 1/2 inch and the legs stretched to about 3 inches total. Big, fat and harry with lots of long legs. I went and knocked on the front door (at 10:30 at night). Jeff comes to the door and sees it is me, opens the door and says "spider??" lol.

i do that with roaches. I won't go to the bathroom if there is a roach in it. Thankfully we don't have roaches in our bathrooms here, but we sometimes get one or two large water bugs (roaches) under the front door. There is a boiler room on my floor where they come from. EEEEKS.

i do that with roaches. I won't go to the bathroom if there is a roach in it. Thankfully we don't have roaches in our bathrooms here, but we sometimes get one or two large water bugs (roaches) under the front door. There is a boiler room on my floor where they come from. EEEEKS.

Yeah, I would be the same! Mice freak me out too. luckily I haven't seen any mice in this house (although I suspect it has to do with the fact that we have more stray cats than squirrels in our neighborhood), but our house in Michigan would get mice and it would FREAK me out. I'd always know something was up when one of the cats would be just sitting there staring under something.

Lmao

You would hate what I bring home then. : (

One is my garage pet because my fiance refuses to let me keep it in the house, the other I keep in the screen porch. Would keep him in the house, but no good windows to have him make a web in.

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg Just gave him a cricket

I am sure you can guess which one stays in the garage......

One is my garage pet because my fiance refuses to let me keep it in the house, the other I keep in the screen porch. Would keep him in the house, but no good windows to have him make a web in.

IMG_0900.jpg

That is terrifying.

IMG_0900.jpg

OMG, is that a black widow????

OMG, is that a black widow????

Yea, she is a chicken $%&t though. The other one is a common garden spider "Argiope aurantia".

Yea, she is a chicken $%&t though. The other one is a common garden spider "Argiope aurantia".

YOU are NUTS! OMG. We can't be friends anymore ......

JK :P

common? Where the hell do you live, the Amazon?

YOU are NUTS! OMG. We can't be friends anymore ......

JK :P

Haha! but but.... I find them fascinating. They normally die each winter though. Sometimes you can keep them alive for over 12 months.

common? Where the hell do you live, the Amazon?

Right?? where the heck did you find a black widow?? I saw the red dot and thought HOLY %$# that looks like a black widow.

Archived