Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

VorTech Quietdrive?

Ahanix

I havehad TONS of people complaining about noise. I have owned about 7 MP 10's and 3 40's and mine have all been quiet. Maybe I am just lucky or hard of hearing :)

I have one that's virtually silent and one that has a little motor whine as well as a wet side that gets noisy when cranked up, the noisy one's wet side was replaced less than a year ago and replaced again at ecotechs expense because the first one they sent me was really obnoxious.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It came that way out of the box. It's over 12 months old now though so I doubt they will do anything about it.

You'd be surprised, call them.

You'd be surprised, call them.

The issue I have is that the Australian importer doesn't care and Ecotech say I need to deal with the importer for RMA. I've regretted the purchase from day one so if I buy another one I'll buy direct from America.

I would of done the same thing changing a mode to Gyre. If I owned Ecotech and one of my employees came up with that idea he would be getting a hell of a bonus ;).

I know this thread has had a lot of comments and feedback about the Gyre, and I think it would be a pretty good idea to talk about this on a technical level, especially since ETM has renamed Long Pulse as "Gyre" mode.

To give those of you who have not read, or looked at actual Ocean Gyre - Essentially it's an ocean Vortex or Whirlpool created by the oceans currents, and strong winds.

Now, let's enter both the Vortech, and MaxSpect Gyre, both very novel ways of looking at flow.

Maxspect's Definition according to their marketing material: The pump moves sheer flow of water from one side of the aquarium, to the other side. The flow of the water is so strong, that it would bounce back from the other side of the aquarium to achieve full circulation or "gyre flows"

This, although very beneficial to our aquariums, and in some technicality a "Gyre" - It isn't any different than what both the short and long pulse modes of the Vortech has been completing for years, or pulse modes on Tunze or Jebao pumps.

If our true means of achieving flow is to simply bounce water off the glass of our aquarium to make a vortex, then haven't we been achieving "Gyre" with nearly every pump we use? My Fusion 30L with stock pumps technically pulls off a Gyre with the stock pumps.

Now, let's go into other functionality we use for our pumps, different pulse modes, features and functions of what the pump actually does, and to some (myself included) noise output, and visible hardware inside the aquarium.

I'm hoping with my review this weekend I am really able to tackle most of what everyone is looking for, some of us are here for flow, some for sound, others for modes, and some just for aesthetics.

Please let me know what you want to see, and I'll do what I can to capture it and put that as part of my focus.

Thanks for everyone that has contributed to this thread, I hope I can help all of us with this review.

Man, the more recent posts in this thread have actually hit on a point that is the real weakness with the Vortech (the MP10 anyway)...and that I believe is the wetside. I love my Vortech, but I had to get my first Vortech wet side replaced and with the new one, I can get it silent, but only on the very small sweet spot of the wet side making a clicking sound and or causing vibration of true miss-alignment. It seems to me that when truly aligned, (in the center of alignment when you use vibration as your measure), I get that clicking, slapping sound from the wetside. So there I am, adjusting the wetside a fraction of a millimeter until the clicking stops and just before the vibration begins. It drives me nuts.

Needless to say, no redesign of the MP10 wet side has disappointed me a little in this update. I have no issues with dry side noise, just that alignment of the wet side is just so bloody finicky.

If Ecotech has made a working gyre mode for the entire MP line and the other claims are true then it's pretty much game over for maxspect and their gyre. It's smaller, quieter, no wire in the tank, and does the same thing for a slightly higher price. People with smaller nanos will be able to get that great flow pattern with a MP10.

There's nothing that a Maxspect Gyre can do that 4 MP40QDs can't do.

People seem to ignore the fact that a major difference is the motor being inside the water and outside the tank. Your Tunze, Gyre, and Jebao noise outside the tank too. The idea you want an electric motor to be literally 100% silent turning the RPMs that Vortechs do is a little silly. With all the overflow, return, and skimmer noise we have people get worked up over the occasional him from a power head, lol.

jedimasterben

They didn't buy AI

That's not how that works. Companies do not 'merge' or 'have partnerships' like that. Smaller companies will call it a 'merger' because it sounds better than it simply being an acquisition. Put simply, Ecotech bought out AI. ;)

Since ben doesn't understand or like my Brick wall comparision maybe this will make more sense...

Gyre = Force = Rape

Corals = Animals

Don't rape your animals... Just say no to a forceful gyre :lol:

I see this video and constantly hear people say ohhh no wire in tank cause looks like crap. then there are setups like this with wires all over the place and looks like total ass and basically would negate the wire in tank look. I would imagine more often the ones crying about wire in tank has some ugly setups like this.

Unimpressive to me but I would never own another ecotech product as everything I owned from them never really seemed worth it at all. especially the radion. That was the biggest waste of money I ever spent when i had a tank

Since ben doesn't understand or like my Brick wall comparision maybe this will make more sense...

Gyre = Force = Rape

Corals = Animals

Don't rape your animals... Just say no to a forceful gyre :lol:

:lol:

I see this video and constantly hear people say ohhh no wire in tank cause looks like crap. then there are setups like this with wires all over the place and looks like total ass and basically would negate the wire in tank look. I would imagine more often the ones crying about wire in tank has some ugly setups like this.

Unimpressive to me but I would never own another ecotech product as everything I owned from them never really seemed worth it at all. especially the radion. That was the biggest waste of money I ever spent when i had a tank

that's a little harsh, but I do somewhat agree, the guy obviously has a nice home and a nice tank with a nest of wires and controllers that could easily be hidden away. but I think there are probably a lot of reefers with nests of wires and controllers strung about.

Solid point, as I said above, it still has a cord that has to be ran across glass. Either way you have a cord running to the controller, in this case it just doesnt run over the side of the glass too...

Archived