Cultivated Reef

VorTech Quietdrive?

Ahanix

jedimasterben

Installed my upgrade last night....

At first it was making some god awful noise but after I power cycled it it worked perfectly fine. As I mentioned because the motor on the MP10 isn't ant different so it wouldn't be that much quieter if at all. Ive been sitting next to it all day is it any quieter? Maybe but not for the $50-300 you're gonna pay to upgrade.

I only bought it so I could have the RF as my previous driver didn't so I didn't mind spending the +$50 to have a newer driver too

However now I cant seem to get my Radion to see the MP10WQD even though, EcoSmart participation is on. I deleted my profile, updated the light... still when I add the device It doesn't populate in the menu.

Did you actually purchase the ES to wQD upgrade or the wES to wQD? The upgrade with the RF chip is $95, not $50.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

I needed the RF chip regardless, so I spent the +$50 for the driver too..... i.e. total $90

OHHHH I see now, gotcha :)

Spoon Fed EM1

Let me just say, I don't know how you guys say that it's loud or somethings wrong with the qd... this thing is SUPER QUIET! it could be a problem with the way you guys put on the gasket to the dry side... at least that's what I'm assuming because when I first put my MP40s in, there was such a weird loud noise coming from one and I took the gasket off the dry side and put it back on again and it worked... quiet just like the other side and no more problems

I installed my upgrade driver tonight on my mp10. I thought it would be fun to set up my go pro right next to the mp10, turn the pump all the way to 100% and hear the difference pre and post install. The go pro ran the entire time... I just trimmed all the time in the middle when it was off.

At first I was disappointed because it was still noisy. Then I went back and watched the video and it is definitely quieter. It's still noisy at 100% for me. But I am able to get up to about 75% now before I can hear it where before I could start to hear it right at 50% in my home.

Hard to say if I would purchase again... I'm not sure it's enough of an upgrade to justify 50 bucks. Would have been nice if they just send the driver and not the entire housing to save some money.

At first I was disappointed because it was still noisy. Then I went back and watched the video and it is definitely quieter. It's still noisy at 100% for me. But I am able to get up to about 75% now before I can hear it where before I could start to hear it right at 50% in my home.

Hard to say if I would purchase again... I'm not sure it's enough of an upgrade to justify 50 bucks. Would have been nice if they just send the driver and not the entire housing to save some money.

Thanks for the video. Is the wet side properly aligned? @ 46 seconds it looks quite far off (and something sounds off), I can't see the back of my wet side on my tank.

I'll double check alignment when I get home. Even if it was off a tiny bit that's as loud as it usually is at 100. The go pro microphone is making it much louder than it seems. I think what the Quiet Drive did was bring down the high end pitch a little bit.

• 2 months later...

-Hey Gang.... I was going to order the QD driver upgrade for my older MP10es. I looked at Marine Depot and it says its' been discontinued??

http://www.marinedepot.com/EcoTech_Marine_QuietDrive_MP10QD_Upgrade_for_VorTech_MP10ES_Propeller_Pump_Pre_Order-EcoTech_Marine-EM1050-FIPHADPO-vi.html

Anyone know about this?

You were looking under the pre order section...here is the current link.

http://www.marinedepot.com/EcoTech_Marine_QuietDrive_MP10wQD_Upgrade_for_VorTech_MP10wES_Propeller_Pump_Accessories_for_Aquarium_Powerheads-EcoTech_Marine-EM1051-FIPHAC-vi.html

• 2 weeks later...
HarryPotter

Anyone have any updates on the QD??

Do you like it, Yay or Nay???

The MP10QD I have now I'd definitely quieter than my old MP10es

Can't hear it at all till it his around 80%, and then just a slight humm. (Softer than skimmer)

Anyone have any updates on the QD??

Do you like it, Yay or Nay???

I have never noticed my Vortechs running before. But I needed new units for my new tank so I bought 2 QD MP10wES units. I've only run them for about a minute in a glass box as my tank is still dry and they seem quiet.

• 2 weeks later...

I just upgraded my MP10 from ES to QD this afternoon, and it is definitely quiet. I was honestly worried this was more of a gimmick for the MP10, but was wrong.

The MP10ES was previously the loudest part of my tank. I am very sensitive to noises, and could still hear it at the 3rd "dot" on Reef Crest, and now can't even hear it. Maybe I can finally make a wave without going insane by whirring noise!

I just upgraded my MP10 from ES to QD this afternoon, and it is definitely quiet. I was honestly worried this was more of a gimmick for the MP10, but was wrong.

The MP10ES was previously the loudest part of my tank. I am very sensitive to noises, and could still hear it at the 3rd "dot" on Reef Crest, and now can't even hear it. Maybe I can finally make a wave without going insane by whirring noise!

Truth. Got mine both running last night. I always thought the MP10s were quiet compared to other powerheads. Now at 80% I cant even hear these things running. I'm also running them on 3/8 glass which is the max thickness.

Archived