Pod Your Reef

VorTech Quietdrive?

Ahanix

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My LFS picked one up at ReefStock. They had it installed when I went in on Friday. I am so jealous of everyone who is getting one now!

I'm still waiting to hear back from the multiple people that already have an mp10 and promised videos a week ago! Even though I went ahead and ordered.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the multiple people that already have an mp10 and promised videos a week ago! Even though I went ahead and ordered.

*cough* Dave *cough* lol :lol:

He's in the process of switching to a full time business so he's probably just really busy!

C00kieduster

What are your thoughts for a 65g DSA rimless? 36"w x 21" x 20", plan is for a mixed reef with a little bit of everything.

2 MP10s, or 1 MP40?

Never used one. If 2 10s would suffice I'll probably stick with the "old" style.

How noisy are the original MP10s anyway. I'm going to purchase my first MP10 very soon and wonder if the QD model is really worth the extra 50.00

masterbuilder

I love these threads. I cant begin to count the number of times this has been repeated. Substitute "Quite Drive" for any other new or upgraded product and its exactly the same ole comments. :rolleyes:

How noisy are the original MP10s anyway. I'm going to purchase my first MP10 very soon and wonder if the QD model is really worth the extra 50.00

Still very quiet, the only time I can hear an annoying noise is when a pulse mode is on. I purchased one to use for my office since they are at a steep discount, that being said I do also have a QD driver on order for how much quieter they make the pump.

What are your thoughts for a 65g DSA rimless? 36"w x 21" x 20", plan is for a mixed reef with a little bit of everything.

2 MP10s, or 1 MP40?

Never used one. If 2 10s would suffice I'll probably stick with the "old" style.

I would say for even coverage and flow to go with 2 MP10's. The 1 MP40 would do well also, but this way you can use sync/anti sync modes to achieve Nutrient Transport, Long Pulse (Gyre) and Short Pulse Modes. I can't really give a huge recommendation as I have never had an MP40, I just upgraded my Fusion 30 (36" long tank) from 1 MP10, to 2 and it has made all the world of difference.

Still very quiet, the only time I can hear an annoying noise is when a pulse mode is on. I purchased one to use for my office since they are at a steep discount, that being said I do also have a QD driver on order for how much quieter they make the pump.

Thanks for replying. I think i'll order the discounted MP10 and if i feel it's too noisy, i can always get the upgrade kit. Thanks for your comment also Masterbuilder, it's always great to hear your input also.

I would say for even coverage and flow to go with 2 MP10's. The 1 MP40 would do well also, but this way you can use sync/anti sync modes to achieve Nutrient Transport, Long Pulse (Gyre) and Short Pulse Modes. I can't really give a huge recommendation as I have never had an MP40, I just upgraded my Fusion 30 (36" long tank) from 1 MP10, to 2 and it has made all the world of difference.

As far as noise... I'm very sensitive to noise and as I sit here in my living room the loudest thing on my tank is my MP10 because I turned it up to about 70 percent. As long as I keep it under 50 percent it is very quiet, but if you want to go any faster, or use pulse mode you're going to hear it whirring. I purchased the upgrade kit in the hopes that I can actually use pulse mode and not be annoyed.

I went ahead and ordered a standard MP10 today because i'll only be running it at very low speeds in my 7.5 gal tank. I ordered it very quickly because a guy at my LFS told me the price drop was to clear the older units out because they weren't going to make them any more and the QD version will become standard. I noticed on BRS website, they were already out of the standard models and i ordered mine from

MD

C00kieduster

I canceled my marine depot order. I placed an order today from saltwateraquariums.com they posted that they had them in stock as of 3/9

I talked to marine depot and they said I was on the second batch of orders and mine should be shipping out at the end of the week, there will probably be a wait anywhere you order from now.

I went ahead and ordered a standard MP10 today because i'll only be running it at very low speeds in my 7.5 gal tank. I ordered it very quickly because a guy at my LFS told me the price drop was to clear the older units out because they weren't going to make them any more and the QD version will become standard. I noticed on BRS website, they were already out of the standard models and i ordered mine from

MD

I received my standard MP10 today and installed it running about 20% (3 green lights) on Reef Crest mode and it's silent. If you put your ear up to it, you can hear only a very slight whirr.

I received my standard MP10 today and installed it running about 20% (3 green lights) on Reef Crest mode and it's silent. If you put your ear up to it, you can hear only a very slight whirr.

On lower speeds mine are quiet. Once you get above 40% it's more noticeable. 100% on reefcrest is musical!

I'm interested to hear about results when someone has fitted the upgrade.

Just got my 2 mp40's qd :) these things are awesome. My first EM product and I love it. I belive unlike the es models they can be dialied down way past 20% due to how the driver "pushes" the motor. All this being done threw my apex. I'll report back when I get to play with them some more

jedimasterben

I belive unlike the es models they can be dialied down way past 20% due to how the driver "pushes" the motor.

They have the same range as the previous models, 11 power levels, just over 9% each.

Archived