Pod Your Reef

VorTech Quietdrive?

Ahanix

So this morning I ran across a website referencing a Flickr account, with this photo. I’m not sure who caught it, but I’m really hoping this is what Reefbuilders was talking about last week.

16431255886_5fdfb7e83a_z.jpg

I’m a bit skeptical with the black driver, especially where it's in a normal MP40 box with the blue logo.

I’ve always preferred the black look of components instead, so hopefully this is the real thing and someone didn't just catch on to all the hype and try to leak a black painted VorTech driver with the same product.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this morning I ran across a website referencing a Flickr account, with this photo. I’m not sure who caught it, but I’m really hoping this is what Reefbuilders was talking about last week.

16431255886_5fdfb7e83a_z.jpg

I’m a bit skeptical with the black driver, especially where it's in a normal MP40 box with the blue logo.

I’ve always preferred the black look of components instead, so hopefully this is the real thing and someone didn't just catch on to all the hype and try to leak a black painted VorTech driver with the same product.

Damn look at that black controller :wub:

Some cool info from RC if true :) :

It's a solid state dry side, meaning it uses electromagnetic current to turn the magnet on the wet side vs a turning magnet on the dry side.

So no bearings to go bad on the dry side where most of the noise comes from on the mp40s up to date.

I'm interested in learning more about this solid state dry side. No spinning components, so how does it turn the prop? Pulsing an alternating field? How would you accurately control pump speed? Sorry, this could all be rumors and I'm just furthering them. Just something interesting to think about though.

Yes, if it is a solid state drive, I'd cerianly be interested in uupgrading my current MP10. I wonder if they would offer an upgrade option like they did with EcoSmart?

Yes, if it is a solid state drive, I'd cerianly be interested in uupgrading my current MP10. I wonder if they would offer an upgrade option like they did with EcoSmart?

if that was the case I'd be all over it too :)

jedimasterben

More than likely the dry sides would be wholly incompatible with the controllers. If one is fully electronic and one is mechanical, then there would be a lot more going on, and to upgrade you'd need to purchase a new dry side and controller (which are $238 and $130, respectively, for the mechanical versions). It would certainly be nice if the controllers at least were compatible, but like I said, it's unlikely. Keep your fingers crossed, of course :D

I'm interested in learning more about this solid state dry side. No spinning components, so how does it turn the prop? Pulsing an alternating field? How would you accurately control pump speed? Sorry, this could all be rumors and I'm just furthering them. Just something interesting to think about though.

Vortechs use a radial flux motor, meaning that the rotor (the part that moves that has the dry side magnet) spins on the axis of the magnetic field, with the stator (the coil windings) surrounding the rotor on the same axis (on the rotors radius). This is how 99% of motors are designed.

energies-07-01483f16a-1024.png

What was described above is an axial flux motor, where the stator and rotor are parallel to each other. If Ecotech can pull it off, then the dry side will just be a big 3-phase electromagnet, and the rotor will be the wet side. You don't see this type of technology used much for motors, but I've seen it used a bunch for generators, especially for DIY wind applications.

motor_cad.jpg

Now, all of this could just be a new control scheme for the standard motor setup. There has been a lot of talk lately about new drive ICs for stepper motors (think CNC machines) that use new drive control algorithms to reduce the high frequency whine that you get with most stepper systems making them virtually silent. The same theories could be applied to 3-phase DC brushless motors like the ones used in the Vortechs.

:ninja:;)

My bet would be Reefstock, Feb 21-22

that's probably a good guess, I don't follow all the big conferences so I don't really know what the dates are.. you're probably right though Evil.

so, since you seem privy to some secret ecoinfo, care to leak an ETA? :)

And risk the chance of 90% being Quietly killed by Ecotech with 40% more power? I don't think so :P:rolleyes:

Now, getting back to speculation, I'm willing to bet it's more about the controller than the motor. Ecotech would have to make a serious investment to create a new style of motor, especially considering how much they have already invested in their current lineup. Going with an axial flux motor wouldn't make things quiet by itself, as it would still use the same control method, and would still whine like a traditional DC brushless motor.

The black sure is nice :wub: But there is more to the driver than that ;)

Right? The first time I saw it, I felt like this

lSPCLOY.jpg

and then I remembered with all the changes I probably should keep my mouth shut. ;) I still can't believe how much quieter it was, especially with all the flow changes. :D

Archived