Cultivated Reef

VorTech Quietdrive?

Ahanix

On lower speeds mine are quiet. Once you get above 40% it's more noticeable. 100% on reefcrest is musical!

I'm interested to hear about results when someone has fitted the upgrade.

I would agree with this, 40% is when I can start hearing it in the room and 100% sounds like a boat haha. If this is "90% quieter" than the previous model I'm not sure how anyone could live with the previous gen MP10.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pure awesomeness

Mmmm soooo purdy all dressed in black.

Nice! Let us know how it compares. That is if you have had the previous model.

C00kieduster

I've had my new mp40 in my tank for a few days now.

I must preface this, this is my first vortec pump. So I cannot compare. But, quite honestly I expected it to be quieter. I have never heard the older model in a quiet environment, so I don't have any reference. I can definitely say that after I got it hooked up I was a little perplexed. It's not "loud", but if my house is quiet, or I'm standing in the same room I can definitely hear the hum of it winding up. And it's noticable.

FWIW I'm running reef crest at 40%

I'm happy with it. Love the flow. Maybe I just expected too much. I don't know.

Got one today! Not any quieter than the old one I had on my 60 gallon. I understand there's a break-in period so I'll give it a few days. Running mine in reef crest on the 4th led light (whatever that equates to), in a Fusion 10.

Spoon Fed EM1

What are the percentage rates per increments on the led light?

Gotta be honest, the black controller just makes it look more awesome lol

reefernanoman

Got one today! Not any quieter than the old one I had on my 60 gallon. I understand there's a break-in period so I'll give it a few days. Running mine in reef crest on the 4th led light (whatever that equates to), in a Fusion 10.

What speed setting do you have it on? I can't even hear mine running(the old model) from far away at 30% or less in my fusion 10G. (my LPS can't take it any higher than 30%). If there's no difference, then I'm glad I got the discounted MP10WES yesterday! Actually my desktop ghost skimmer is much louder anyways lol.

What speed setting do you have it on? I can't even hear mine running(the old model) from far away at 30% or less in my fusion 10G. (my LPS can't take it any higher than 30%). If there's no difference, then I'm glad I got the discounted MP10WES yesterday! Actually my desktop ghost skimmer is much louder anyways lol.

Called echotech this morning and they recommended running it at the lowest position in constant speed mode and increasing slowly every day for 5 days. Doing that now but can still hear it from a good 20 feet away. Having owned the old one, I don't get a good feeling about this but hope by some miracle it quiets down.

reefernanoman

Called echotech this morning and they recommended running it at the lowest position in constant speed mode and increasing slowly every day for 5 days. Doing that now but can still hear it from a good 20 feet away. Having owned the old one, I don't get a good feeling about this but hope by some miracle it quiets down.

Sorry to hear that. I'm glad I just got the old one instead. I installed it on my NC 28G and it's pretty quiet at 50%

Has anyone received their upgrade kits for the mp10's yet? It's officially been four weeks as of yesterday for me so I guess it's any day now.

SchnauzerFace

I am such a freak that I may upgrade only because I want a black controller. :rolleyes:

If you decide to upgrade and you want to sell your old one, shoot me a PM. I'm also in DFW and looking for an MP10

reefernanoman

Have had my standard MP10 for a couple weeks now and boy is it quiet. for 185.00 it was a great deal.

I bought a mp10wes brand new for $208 shipped.

I bought a mp10wes brand new for $208 shipped.

Yea, mine was like $210 shipped. I snagged it as soon as the price dropped.

I have to say I was expecting it to be a bit quieter. With that said, I did find that allowing it to run at 1,5, and then 10% at constant speed over a week helped decrease the noise. I have it on my jbj 8 gal rimless and the corals really cant do much more than 50% anyways so I am happy with it. Every once in a while I turn it up to 80-100% to get any detritus off the sand and rocks so that the overflow can catch it. I still love this product and would highly recommend. I now have it programmed through my reeflink along with my radions, and I just love this combo! =) I love being able to show off the tank from my phone!

Its officially 4 weeks for me, still waiting for my Upgrade kit...

I really don't expect it to be uber quiet mine runs at 60% Reef Crest and I sit 3ft from it every day and I barely hear it now. My main reason was so I could finally sync it to my Radion lol

If I currently have an MP10 EcoSmart NON-wireless model, if I get the QD wireless upgrade, will that now give me the wireless capability and work fine?

reefernanoman

If I currently have an MP10 EcoSmart NON-wireless model, if I get the QD wireless upgrade, will that now give me the wireless capability and work fine?

Yes, because the "wireless" part comes from the controller. I think it's not worth the extra money though. I would just get the RF module for $45 and pop it into your current controller. As you have read, it doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the old and new controllers as far as noise is concerned. Adding the RF module takes about a whole 10 minutes and it's very easy.

I would agree with this, 40% is when I can start hearing it in the room and 100% sounds like a boat haha. If this is "90% quieter" than the previous model I'm not sure how anyone could live with the previous gen MP10.

Just a heads up I was in contact with Ecotech support and they sent me a new pump and it's so much quieter now. Very good buy IMO

Archived