inTank Media Baskets

VorTech Quietdrive?

Ahanix

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2- So "Quiet Drive"? Well, yeah. I know most people have never really complained about the noise of the MP10, I really haven't either - that being said, it has always prevented me from running any of the pulse modes. I couldn't stand the on-off whirring of the dry side, but even running in Reef Crest I have always been happy with the pump.

Thanks for the mini-review Ahanix. My only concern with this is I have heard from LOTS of users about the MP10 being noisy. Having owned three in my time, can say that yes they are noisy. In fact it's the noisiest part of my setup right now.

I appreciate the comments, but I really wish someone had official decibel values for the existing MP10 versus the new Quiet Drive. (yes I am aware someone has posted the MP40 values) Being in Canada, i'm sure the driver will be at least $100+ (given the crappy exchange) and unless it is guaranteed to be nearly inaudible, I just don't know if it's worth the upgrade... :unsure:

On a plane to Denver now and will get the skinny. I may "compete" with Ecotech on the LED side, however I love Vortech line. I brought my A7 camera to take some video ( or I hope ).

No matter what you choose, they both do an extremely good job. Now you guys just SIMMA DOWN NOW!

Judging by the photos, it appeared it may come unassembled? I guess that's how Ecotech Marine can pass the savings on to us! Good god, I hope it isn't crazy expensive when it hits Canada (which it will be...) *sigh*

$50 is for the driver only, you either have to move your RF chip over to the new driver or you can purchase the Driver with the RF chip for $95. Sorry for the lack of review but been sick :-( Hopefully this weekend.

On a plane to Denver now and will get the skinny. I may "compete" with Ecotech on the LED side, however I love Vortech line. I brought my A7 camera to take some video ( or I hope ).

No matter what you choose, they both do an extremely good job. Now you guys just SIMMA DOWN NOW!

Take pictures of that new hybrid, with that fancy camera!!! Oh and post em Dave, lol.

jedimasterben

Looks like the MP10qd and qdW upgrades will only cost $50!

http://premiumaquatics.com/category/replacement-parts-access-1.html

Tom

MP10ES to MP10QD is $50, but MP10ES to MP10wQD you have to add the RF chip and is $95. Only if you have a wireless model or don't want wireless is it $50.

Judging by the photos, it appeared it may come unassembled? I guess that's how Ecotech Marine can pass the savings on to us! Good god, I hope it isn't crazy expensive when it hits Canada (which it will be...) *sigh*

Well, how else are you supposed to plug in the control cable to the new driver and install the RF chip? ;)

So even though I haven't pushed a full on review yet (Sorry as well, have been really busy transitioning positions at work, and midterms) I wanted to give a bit more real life feedback of the product.

I've never really thought MP10's were loud, or really saw a reason why they would need to be quieter. I'm pretty sensitive to noise, but I didn't realize how much noise it made until I had two pumps on my tank, running on sync modes. This week is when I really saw a difference, well or at least my wife made me notice it.

Every night at around 6:00 my tank pushes through Nutrient Transport mode. I've noticed a huge improvement in the clarity and cleanliness of my tank from running this, but my wife hasn't been very happy. At first she started asking: "What is that noise, or what is wrong with the aquarium" until I showed her the difference between the MP10wES and the QD, and she was sold enough that I just placed an order for the second driver today, haha.

Needless to say, running my pumps at 30% on my Fusion, I didn't ever notice much noise anyways, but even with that noise gone I can tell a HUGE difference, enough to warrant at least upgrading my current driver.

Hope to have videos loaded tonight.

It really is silent. The Nano Box tank will be getting upgraded.

Price to upgrade the MP10 is $50.

Hope this helps!

I know we don't all have Decibel meters just lying around, but I know there are apps for Android and iOS. obviously they wouldn't be too accurate, but should show a difference between the current ES driver and the new QD.

Can you testers take a peek and try these out? You know, turn off all the equipment and just run the MP10 both different drivers and post your results. That would be gggrrreeeeaaaattttt.

I know we don't all have Decibel meters just lying around, but I know there are apps for Android and iOS. obviously they wouldn't be too accurate, but should show a difference between the current ES driver and the new QD.

Can you testers take a peek and try these out? You know, turn off all the equipment and just run the MP10 both different drivers and post your results. That would be gggrrreeeeaaaattttt.

Agreed, especially if they're testing in the same room with the same background noise.

If anyone does this, please test up to 100%, with comparisons on modes that change speed such as NTM. Less than 50% or so these pumps are fairly quiet already. It's when they're run above 75% or so they produce the most noise on the dry side.

Where are you guys ordering your Upgrade Kits from, I assume EcoTech directly?

I sit 3ft away 8hrs a day from my MP10 so Ill be a really good judge of how good it is.....

Edit: Nvrmd, just ordered from EcoTech directly. Now to sit and wait lol

I will have some videos for you. It is a HUGE difference.

I may order the new driver but I haven't even received my new !0w yet. So I will wait to see how loud it is to me.

Have they improved the wet side cage to prevent snails from getting in? It's a real ############ to lose both your wet sides to a nerite in 24 hours.

Wet sides are still the same as before (other than the MP40, which is more closely designed to the MP10)

That being said, I did hear a snail getting whittled away this morning on my QD when I was headed to work, had to unplug the driver and pull the little guy out, haha.

Archived