Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

VorTech Quietdrive?

Ahanix

Since when is having a differencing opinion make anyone a troll? If this thread was being trolled, you would know it. I am using my years of experience with Ecotech products to form my opinion that only changing the driver will fix the noise problems rampant with Ecotech wave makers. I actually want to be proven wrong because that would fix a lot of grips I have with their product, but overall I remain skeptical.

this is what Evil wrote on reefbuilders

"You would be surprised. There are a lot of companies actively involved in creating new driver chips and control algorithms for brushless DC motor systems (like the motors found in the Vortechs and stepper motors found in CNC machines) to make them virtually silent. I'm pretty sure this is what Ecotech is doing here with the new controllers. Sure, bearing noise may play a part in it, but if the bearings are greased properly, you should barely be able to tell that the pump is running with the new controller. The new dry side is just to increase flow to make it more competitive again, and possibly more durable. The new housing may help to make it a little quieter, but it's not going to be the sole cause for a 90% reduction in noise."

I saw it somewhere else where someone was talking about it too but can't seem to find it now.

as far as me being a troll, please point to it. cjjon was badgering strainedsky for something he didn't even bring up but was giving his insight into. that has nothing to do with opinion, it has to do with cjjon being a jerk for no reason. I think you are misunderstanding why I posted that.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is what Evil wrote on reefbuilders

"You would be surprised. There are a lot of companies actively involved in creating new driver chips and control algorithms for brushless DC motor systems (like the motors found in the Vortechs and stepper motors found in CNC machines) to make them virtually silent. I'm pretty sure this is what Ecotech is doing here with the new controllers. Sure, bearing noise may play a part in it, but if the bearings are greased properly, you should barely be able to tell that the pump is running with the new controller. The new dry side is just to increase flow to make it more competitive again, and possibly more durable. The new housing may help to make it a little quieter, but it's not going to be the sole cause for a 90% reduction in noise."

as far as me being a troll, please point to it. cjjon was badgering strainedsky for something he didn't even bring up but was giving his insight into. that has nothing to do with opinion, I think you were misunderstanding why I posted that.

Yeah, I saw that on reef builders but I actually have many reservations about believing anything they post on their site. I hardly ever see a review that mentions anything negative/lacking in the reviewed product.

I wasn't calling you a troll btw. I figured you were saying that anyone in the thread that dislikes/has reservations about Ecotech products were trolling (which I am not doing).

Yeah, I saw that on reef builders but I actually have many reservations about believing anything they post on their site. I hardly ever see a review that mentions anything negative/lacking in the reviewed product.

I wasn't calling you a troll btw. I figured you were saying that anyone in the thread that dislikes/has reservations about Ecotech products were trolling (which I am not doing).

no, that's what NR member evilc666 wrote in the comments section in reply to another commenter, it's not from reefbuilders' blog entry.

my troll comment was definitely not aimed at you and I'm sorry if you took it that way, there is a difference between being skeptical/doubting and actually being a troll. it had nothing to do with you.

Maxspect lost me when they told us pre launch in these very forums that the gyre would be priced competitively with the Jaebo powerheads. I have Ecotech pumps. They work fantastically. They cost me an arm and a leg. The gyre also costs an arm and a leg and have not been out long enough to prove themselves. I would have tried it at Jaebo prices. Plus not having the wire in the tank may not be important to a lot of people but it's important to me. I'm interested in seeing more hands on reviews of this new quiet drive.

no, that's what NR member evilc666 wrote in the comments section in reply to another commenter, it's not from reefbuilders' blog entry.

Oh, I see. I'm on my phone and misread the quote you made. I was referring to this:

"Even as we write this, we must confess that we have already had a sneak peak at the QuietDrive technology in action and it is bordering on “impossibly” quiet. And even as you read this, we know that there’s lots of you who are simply incredulous that driver technology alone can account for such big improvements, especially when it comes to the familiar whirr that longtime Vortech users have come to love/hate.

Read more: http://reefbuilders.com/2015/02/11/ecotech-marine-quietdrive-revolution-dc-motor-performance-silence/#ixzz3RTfeKOgX "

There is a thread on RC discussing how changing out only the driver on the mp10 and mp60 will actually quiet the pumps down. I see what the guys are saying there, but I will remain doubtful until I see it for myself. Like I said before, I actually want to be wrong because I liked my vortechs before they became noisy. That was my only reason for getting rid of them.

Anyways.... back to discussing the QD pumps... :)

Wow, why all the name calling? I made two total posts on this thread and I am a jerk and a troll. LOL! StrainedSky made admittedly vague posts that seemed to me was trying to make it sound like the gyre mode is perhaps something more than just an old mode renamed. See post 72 and 75.

Here are those relevant posts from StrainedSky(emphasis mine)

Something has changed, though I agree its not game over for maxspect gyre, I personally believe they both have their place.

If it makes you feel better your totally right, all hail Maxspect Gyre. I can tell you the mode has changed and I've seen and have more than a graph.”

Ark, I hope you're wrong too ;)

but I have no idea. I'll likely upgrade to 2 new drivers anyway as one of mine is broken and I kinda want them to have the wireless capability, if they are a little quieter then that's a plus. I'm really wanting to do the reeflink and be able to set them up on a schedule and change throughout the day.

Wow, why all the name calling? I made two total posts on this thread and I am a jerk and a troll. LOL! StrainedSky made admittedly vague posts that seemed to me was trying to make it sound like the gyre mode is perhaps something more than just an old mode renamed. See post 72 and 75.

Something has changed, though I agree its not game over for maxspect gyre, I personally believe they both have their place.

If it makes you feel better your totally right, all hail Maxspect Gyre. I can tell you the mode has changed and I've seen and have more than a graph.”

Ok lets make this clear, I apologize for calling you a troll, I didn't mean to miss represent anything. The driver I'm running is using beta firmware and the gyre mode is different then what they decided to go with retail with. I thought the beta firmware gyre mode would goto retail but like I said there must be a reason or issue.

Wow, why all the name calling? I made two total posts on this thread and I am a jerk and a troll. LOL! StrainedSky made admittedly vague posts that seemed to me was trying to make it sound like the gyre mode is perhaps something more than just an old mode renamed. See post 72 and 75. [/size]

[/size]

“[/size]Something has changed, though I agree its not game over for maxspect gyre, I personally believe they both have their place.[/size]

“[/size]If it makes you feel better your totally right, all hail Maxspect Gyre. I can tell you the mode has changed and I've seen and have more than a graph.”[/size]

[/size]

His first post said that. Then he contacted Ecotech and corrected the statement which he could of easy lied and said it was something new.
jedimasterben

https://web.archive.org/web/20111112154331/http://blog.captive-aquatics.com/captive_aquatics/2011/11/the-truth-about-orphek-reef-aquarium-product-marketing.html

(that page is now blank, so had to use the Wayback machine)

Oh, I see. I'm on my phone and misread the quote you made. I was referring to this:

"Even as we write this, we must confess that we have already had a sneak peak at the QuietDrive technology in action and it is bordering on “impossibly” quiet. And even as you read this, we know that there’s lots of you who are simply incredulous that driver technology alone can account for such big improvements, especially when it comes to the familiar whirr that longtime Vortech users have come to love/hate.

Read more: http://reefbuilders.com/2015/02/11/ecotech-marine-quietdrive-revolution-dc-motor-performance-silence/#ixzz3RTfeKOgX "

There is a thread on RC discussing how changing out only the driver on the mp10 and mp60 will actually quiet the pumps down. I see what the guys are saying there, but I will remain doubtful until I see it for myself. Like I said before, I actually want to be wrong because I liked my vortechs before they became noisy. That was my only reason for getting rid of them.

Anyways.... back to discussing the QD pumps... :)

Evil is right about the drivers' signals being changed, and it's a very real fix for (some) motor noise. I've replaced bearings on MP10 and MP40 dry sides and with new, well-lubed bearings, there is no noise, even on Short Pulse mode, made for a truly awesome pump. As soon as they heat up, though, the lube starts to dry up, and you hear that familiar whirr. :)

I'm just worried that a lot of people that have pumps with shot bearings are going to rush to upgrade to the new driver and think that their problems will be solved. Ecotech still will not admit that the bearings are the cause of all the noise. If they switched to a sealed bearing they would last a lot longer.

Ok lets make this clear, I apologize for calling you a troll, I didn't mean to miss represent anything. The driver I'm running is using beta firmware and the gyre mode is different then what they decided to go with retail with. I thought the beta firmware gyre mode would goto retail but like I said there must be a reason or issue.

Thanks, apology accepted. I am also sorry for my tone as well. I totally understand now about the beta issue, but didn't then.

I have nothing against vortech and may actually buy an MP10 (or the 130 gyre :D )

https://web.archive.org/web/20111112154331/http://blog.captive-aquatics.com/captive_aquatics/2011/11/the-truth-about-orphek-reef-aquarium-product-marketing.html

(that page is now blank, so had to use the Wayback machine)

Evil is right about the drivers' signals being changed, and it's a very real fix for (some) motor noise. I've replaced bearings on MP10 and MP40 dry sides and with new, well-lubed bearings, there is no noise, even on Short Pulse mode, made for a truly awesome pump. As soon as they heat up, though, the lube starts to dry up, and you hear that familiar whirr. :)

I'm just worried that a lot of people that have pumps with shot bearings are going to rush to upgrade to the new driver and think that their problems will be solved. Ecotech still will not admit that the bearings are the cause of all the noise.

There seems to be a some good info out there that there may be some changes. I guess time will tell to what extent it actually changes things.

Since when is having a differencing opinion make anyone a troll? If this thread was being trolled, you would know it. I am using my years of experience with Ecotech products to form my opinion that only changing the driver will fix the noise problems rampant with Ecotech wave makers. I actually want to be proven wrong because that would fix a lot of grips I have with their product, but overall I remain skeptical.

True, but the fact that they renamed "Long Pulse Mode" to "Gyre Mode" tells me they are worried about the maxspect pumps and are trying to capitalize on the "gyre movement" as Ecotech's use of gyre was very brief in the instruction book for the vortechs. Additionally, Long Pulse Mode was not great IIRC, so theres that.

I would of done the same thing changing a mode to Gyre. If I owned Ecotech and one of my employees came up with that idea he would be getting a hell of a bonus ;).

I would of done the same thing changing a mode to Gyre. If I owned Ecotech and one of my employees came up with that idea he would be getting a hell of a bonus ;).

I'd give the one that came up with the black controller boxes a raise and a bonus lol

God Bless 'merica :D

Reefin Ric Flair

I'm definitely interested in getting the mp10wqd model. I almost bought an mp10 last night and this came out! Nice timing. Side question, is the reeflink a separate purchase? I figure it is but wanted to be sure

I'm definitely interested in getting the mp10wqd model. I almost bought an mp10 last night and this came out! Nice timing. Side question, is the reeflink a separate purchase? I figure it is but wanted to be sure

Yes it is.

Just caught up with this thread. I love NR. Even the usual back and forth that would result in Mutually Assured Destruction flamewars in other forums gets resolved with handshakes all around :grouphug:

Seriously, though, it was great to be able to learn so much in just one thread. I didn't have to do any independent research at all :)

Reefin Ric Flair

I'm testing the MP10 not the MP40, I hope to have a review up with video by Sunday.

Will you be posting the video in this thread or some other location? I'm psyched to check out this even quieter design

I will be at Reefstock. I will get the skinny. You guys quit bickering!

-D

Chatty Kathy I like to call it :) we will be reviewing your new retro soon as this horse dies ;)

Will you be posting the video in this thread or some other location? I'm psyched to check out this even quieter design

I'll post it in this thread.

Archived