SaltCritters.com

VorTech Quietdrive?

Ahanix

jedimasterben

A brick wall? :lol: Actually more like gold bars but let's go with bricks for the sake of the ongoing joke.

Yes! :lol:

If it makes you feel better your totally right, all hail Maxspect Gyre. I can tell you the mode has changed and I've seen and have more than a graph.

That's great and all, and Imma let you finish, but it's no coincidence that Long Pulse mode is longer an option, yet Gyre mode is listed with the same graph as Long Pulse mode.

All I'm saying is that you can call it different all you want - but the original Long Pulse mode was described as such:

Long Pulse Mode allows for pulsing the pump from minimum to a set maximum of between two seconds and one minute per pulse. This mode is ideal for the creation of gyre flow within the aquarium. To create a gyre, a minimum of four pumps is ideal. Two pumps would be placed on one side of the aquarium and two pumps on the other side of the aquarium. The pumps in opposite corners will be synced together and the other two pumps would be anti-synced. When run in Long Pulse Mode, this will create a flow pattern which alternates from clockwise to counter-clockwise.

You can read the description of the 'new' Gyre mode in the marketing data or the product manual for yourself, and feel free to describe the differences.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't be to sure about the MP 10 being off in the future. I heard differently from a inside source Gyre boy :).

we callin' benny "gyre boy" now? :lol:

I'm curious about the upgrades for old mp's, one of mine has a broken button so a new controller would be nice. heck maybe I'll get two "w" ones so they can talk to each other lol.

so, am I correct in understanding that the controller makes the pump quieter? :huh:

Direct quote from ETM...allegedly :

"To create Gyre , remove power cable from tank, failure to do so can and will cause brick wall type flow patterns . Other "gyre type" pumps are more phalic shaped to make Benny happy"

Or I might have made that up ... I'm not telling

jedimasterben

I'm curious about the upgrades for old mp's, one of mine has a broken button so a new controller would be nice. heck maybe I'll get two "w" ones so they can talk to each other lol.

so, am I correct in understanding that the controller makes the pump quieter? :huh:

Evil seems to have hit the nail on the head. There will be upgrade paths from current pumps (mostly geared towards the MP40, as its design has remained very different from the MP10 and MP60), but all three pumps will be able to be upgraded. What those exactly are should be released publicly soon.

Direct quote from ETM...allegedly :

"To create Gyre , remove power cable from tank, failure to do so can and will cause brick wall type flow patterns . Other "gyre type" pumps are more phalic shaped to make Benny happy"

Or I might have made that up ... I'm not telling

:lol:

Maxspect should include that in their marketing.

Yes Benny is now Gayre boy :)
GHill762, on 11 Feb 2015 - 08:55 AM, said:

Your on the right path as far as the MP10 and 60 are concerned.

Your on the right path as far as the MP10 and 60 are concerned.

according to the link I just provided it does the same for the 40

and it looks like only the controller is new on the 10 and 60, which I might have to buy two of.

jedimasterben

Well, I guess the rest of the cats are out of the bag now. StrainedSky, if Long Pulse mode was not just renamed to Gyre mode, then why is the setup the same?

From the Ecosmart setup guide

When first entering Long Pulse Mode, set the maximum pump speed with the control dial and press the SET button to lock it. The LEDs will begin to ramp, indicating the pulsing frequency between 2 seconds and 2 hours. Next, use the control dial to adjust the pulse frequency. The first six LEDs represent 2 seconds to 2 minutes. The seventh through 12th LEDs represent 5, 10, 20, 60, 90 and 120 minutes, respectively. Press and hold SET until the control dial flashes and then breathes pink, indicating the wave is saved.

From the Quietdrive setup guide

When first entering Gyre Mode, set the maximum pump speed with the control dial and press the SET button to lock it. The LEDs will begin to ramp, indicating the pulsing frequency between 2 seconds and 2 hours. Next, use the control dial to adjust the pulse frequency. The first six LEDs represent 2 seconds to 2 minutes. The seventh through 12th LEDs represent 5, 10, 20, 60, 90 and 120 minutes, respectively. Press and hold SET until the control dial flashes and then breathes pink, indicating the wave is saved.

So what makes the two modes different?

Also, unrelated note to the software, on the new MP40 wet side did they remove the anti-vortex cover across the top two cage cutouts? If they decided to remove it, people with tanks less than 24" tall might have issues with it pulling in air on higher speeds. My tank is 16" tall and my two MP40wES would still pull air in even 8" below the water line if they were at 100% output. With a wet side that now spins faster it could be even more of a problem.

GHill762, on 11 Feb 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:GHill762, on 11 Feb 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:

according to the link I just provided it does the same for the 40

and it looks like only the controller is new on the 10 and 60, which I might have to buy two of.

Kind of, I haven't messed with the MP40 but it's my understanding that you get a more quiet MP40ES with a new driver, you get a even more quiet and flow from having the MP40QD driver, dryside and wetside.

jedimasterben, on 11 Feb 2015 - 09:46 AM, said:

Well, I guess the rest of the cats are out of the bag now. StrainedSky, if Long Pulse mode was not just renamed to Gyre mode, then why is the setup the same?

From the Ecosmart setup guide

From the Quietdrive setup guide

So what makes the two modes different?

Also, unrelated note to the software, on the new MP40 wet side did they remove the anti-vortex cover across the top two cage cutouts? If they decided to remove it, people with tanks less than 24" tall might have issues with it pulling in air on higher speeds. My tank is 16" tall and my two MP40wES would still pull air in even 8" below the water line if they were at 100% output. With a wet side that now spins faster it could be even more of a problem.

I know what the manual says, I can only tell you what I've experienced. Will it be what they release, I don't know, as currently the driver has incomplete beta firmware. Yes the "anti-vortex" has been removed, a mistake in my opinion because it causes the issue just like you described.

jedimasterben

I know what the manual says, I can only tell you what I've experienced. Will it be what they release, I don't know, as currently the driver has incomplete beta firmware. Yes the "anti-vortex" has been removed, a mistake in my opinion because it causes the issue just like you described.

It looks like it's even been removed from the MP60 - what the ####! I've seen those pull air over 18" from the surface.

It looks like it's even been removed from the MP60 - what the ####! I've seen those pull air over 18" from the surface.

according to the informational packet, the mp10 and mp60 dry side, wet side, and power supply remain completely unchanged.

jedimasterben

according to the informational packet, the mp10 and mp60 dry side, wet side, and power supply remain completely unchanged.

The photos of the MP60 in the manual and marketing data show the change.

I got clarification on the Gyre mode on the retail model and Ben you were correct. Straight from Ecotech :

Long pulse mode has always been used to create a gyre within an aquarium. It's name has been re-dubbed to suit its purpose.

GHill762, on 11 Feb 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

anybody find it odd that the first released info is on advanced aquarist and not on reefbuilders?

i think a bunch of people were ;)

mpsti05, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

Soooo eventually they'll be an update for the wxm to control it sounds like.

Hopefully sooner than later.

I got clarification on the Gyre mode on the retail model and Ben you were correct. Straight from Ecotech :

Long pulse mode has always been used to create a gyre within an aquarium. It's name has been re-dubbed to suit its purpose.

That's awesome they renamed it to cash in on Gyres success lately. Don't hate the player hate the game.

Hell I had a Gyre before Maxpect invented it :happydance:

+1 to what Ben said.

"Thus, even though the MP10 and MP60 will continue using the dry and wet side of the current ES generation and thus their rated flow rates remain the same, these models will still benefit from drastic noise reduction and improved efficiency"

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/ecotech-introduces-a-new-generation-of-vortech-pumps

Mp10 and 60 are not changed = still nosey?

Also, the "gyre" mode of the vortech is just jumping on the bandwagon. Not so much a trendsetter anymore, eh Ecotech? :P

+1 to what Ben said. Mp10 and 60 are not changed = still nosey. There will be nothing quite about them. I will not buy another vortech pump until someone proves to me that they will remain quiet after 2-3 years of use.

they're saying that the way the motors (even the old ones) will be driven with the new driver should quiet them down. I don't understand it but I'm sure someone smarter than me can explain it.

Archived