Coral Vue Hydros

VorTech Quietdrive?

Ahanix

jedimasterben

Not sure if I can show you what I have, but yes, it has a 'gyre' mode, it's a more 'square' (I guess 'less curved' fits it better) version of their long pulse mode. lol

They also seem to have switched to a plastic housing for the MP40 and MP60. They're gonna ####### fry the bearings, which is the source of noise on the pumps, not the motor. Bad move, Ecotech.

EDIT: and a power consumption increase for the MP40, that's how they're able to get more output, the pump isn't more efficient! 8-38w for the QD vs 8-28w for the ES. Gonna get WAYYY too hot inside the dry side.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't there some sort of disclosure that The Ecotech Test Team members must sign to prevent them from "leaking" product details? Don't get me wrong, I'm loving all the info, but I would be pissed if I was Ecotech....

Isn't there some sort of disclosure that The Ecotech Test Team members must sign to prevent them from "leaking" product details? Don't get me wrong, I'm loving all the info, but I would be pissed if I was Ecotech....

Yes there is a nda.

Not sure if I can show you what I have, but yes, it has a 'gyre' mode, it's a more 'square' (I guess 'less curved' fits it better) version of their long pulse mode. lol

They also seem to have switched to a plastic housing for the MP40 and MP60. They're gonna ####### fry the bearings, which is the source of noise on the pumps, not the motor. Bad move, Ecotech.

EDIT: and a power consumption increase for the MP40, that's how they're able to get more output, the pump isn't more efficient! 8-38w for the QD vs 8-28w for the ES. Gonna get WAYYY too hot inside the dry side.

There's more to the dry side then a wattage change.

jedimasterben

There's more to the dry side then a wattage change.

Is the dry side casing plastic? If so, then Ecotech has taken a step backwards. Like I said before, the motors themselves are not the cause of noise with the Vortech line, it is the bearings. The lubricant dries up (heat will do that) and they just grind away.

This is the MP40 they are advertising. The MP10 and MP60 will more than likely be off in the future depending on what actually changed. It says new dry side, but if it were really 'new' and solid-state it wouldn't need to be so big, it would be flat.

Don't be to sure about the MP 10 being off in the future. I heard differently from a inside source Gyre boy :).

Whoa did he say its gonna have gyre mode... so this means I don't need a foot long powerhead to do that?? :lol:

It does have a Gyre mode from what I hear :)
jedimasterben

Don't be to sure about the MP 10 being off in the future. I heard differently from a inside source Gyre boy :).

Oh, I'm well aware of, uh, certain information. ;)

Safe to assume this guy won't be a Beta tester any more....

You would be surprised. Definitely a lot of different information stirring about, I'm sure someone will piece something together soon.

I'm pretty impressed with the review the guy did, I guess I'll keep reading and see how far it gets him.. NDA and all - This definitely seems like a first from EcoTech to have so many leaks, and a video before ReefBuilders gets a hands on, so I'm excited to see what other information comes out.

I guess these are the only kind of leaks we like to see in this industry :lol:

You would be surprised. Definitely a lot of different information stirring about, I'm sure someone will piece something together soon.

I'm pretty impressed with the review the guy did, I guess I'll keep reading and see how far it gets him.. NDA and all - This definitely seems like a first from EcoTech to have so many leaks, and a video before ReefBuilders gets a hands on, so I'm excited to see what other information comes out.

so are you saying theres still info that hasn't been leaked? also do you believe that he is working against EM NDA or they are having him leak as a "soft Launch"?

I wouldn't call it a leak since Ecotech told over 1000 people about it.

There are leaks, the ones that aren't suppose to be disclosed, then there are those leaks that drum up buzz. Wonder which this is? The fact that we're all talking about it shows the magnitude.

so are you saying theres still info that hasn't been leaked? also do you believe that he is working against EM NDA or they are having him leak as a "soft Launch"?

Well, the NDA we had to sign was very specific in regards to what could / could not be shown in regards to any of their products. To the point where if we know anyone who even knows about aquariums, we have to hide / put away any information or hardware we may or may not be testing at that time.

Now, getting into the youtube video that was posted, I can't confirm or deny if the NDA itself has been broken or not, it is all dependent upon who "T" is (if you notice when he opens the box) and what he may or may not have asked the reviewer to do.

That being said, I know for a fact there is quite a bit of information that hasn't been leaked. I am just not at liberty to discuss any other changes that may be impending with the QuietDrive, until the NDA on this product has been lifted. Stay tuned and there will be quite a bit more in store :)

Well, the NDA we had to sign was very specific in regards to what could / could not be shown in regards to any of their products. To the point where if we know anyone who even knows about aquariums, we have to hide / put away any information or hardware we may or may not be testing at that time.

Now, getting into the youtube video that was posted, I can't confirm or deny if the NDA itself has been broken or not, it is all dependent upon who "T" is (if you notice when he opens the box) and what he may or may not have asked the reviewer to do.

That being said, I know for a fact there is quite a bit of information that hasn't been leaked. I am just not at liberty to discuss any other changes that may be impending with the QuietDrive, until the NDA on this product has been lifted. Stay tuned and there will be quite a bit more in store :)

hmmm the plot thickens good to know that theres "still quite a bit more in store" Like the bold we maybe he's not a product tester and in fact works for ecotech or is being put up to this by ecotech. hopefully we nda will get lifted soon. Willing to bet he's communicating with exotech since when i asked him a specific question about battery backup he originally didn't know then about an hour later he had an answer, which seams like he asked them and they responded back

hmmm the plot thickens good to know that theres "still quite a bit more in store" Like the bold we maybe he's not a product tester and in fact works for ecotech or is being put up to this by ecotech. hopefully we nda will get lifted soon. Willing to bet he's communicating with exotech since when i asked him a specific question about battery backup he originally didn't know then about an hour later he had an answer, which seams like he asked them and they responded back

NDA will be lifted Friday when Ecotech releases all the info. It's not that big of a deal new driver with some new modes and it's quiter. Other than that this new Quiet Drive isn't going to give you a slow jack in the corner. I like Ecotech and there Vortechs and I own them and will only use there power heads. Don't buy into all the hype but do buy a older pump when they get discounted ;).

More info

We have uncovered more information on the upcoming VorTech QuietDrive that EcoTech Marine is scheduled to announce at the ReefBuilders ReefStock event, which coincides with the 10th anniversary of the VorTech pump.

QuietDrive is a new driver technology that they claim will make the dry side motor run smoother and up to 90% more quiet. It is hard to believe that changing the controller's way of communicating with the motor can dramatically decrease the pump noise, even for previously released MP10, MP40 and MP60 VorTech models -- but EcoTech has done it!

The controller will come in an all black case with a new mode called "Gyre," that replaces the previous "Long Pulse" mode. It will still be able to sync wirelessly to existing wireless models of VorTechs and will still be fully compatible with EcoSmart Live via ReefLink. For Neptune Apex owners however, note that QuietDrive will still be not compatible with WXM on the release date.The new MP40wQD will be "Better in Every Way" as ETM puts it. The overall look of the new MP40wQD will follow the design of the MP10 and the MP60. The newly designed dry side has been upgraded and now provides 40% more output and cables that are about half the diameter and more flexible compared to the ES. The wet side has been redesigned to use dual bearings which improves its durability. MSRP is expected to be $349, $50 less the original price of the MP40wES when it first came out, and just $50 more than its current price, that is if you can still find it in stores. It is scheduled to be available Q2 of 2015.

For MP10, MP60 owners a QuietDrive controller upgrade will be available. Current MP40wES owners will have the option to upgrade to the QuietDrive controller as well which will make the pumps more quiet but won't get the 40% increase in output. Below are diagrams of what you will gain when upgrading to QuietDrive. For current MP40wES owners, check out the allowed combinations you can do with the old and the newly released dry and wet sides:

If Ecotech has made a working gyre mode for the entire MP line and the other claims are true then it's pretty much game over for maxspect and their gyre. It's smaller, quieter, no wire in the tank, and does the same thing for a slightly higher price. People with smaller nanos will be able to get that great flow pattern with a MP10.

jedimasterben

If Ecotech has made a working gyre mode for the entire MP line and the other claims are true then it's pretty much game over for maxspect and their gyre. It's smaller, quieter, no wire in the tank, and does the same thing for a slightly higher price. People with smaller nanos will be able to get that great flow pattern with a MP10.

The original MP40 controller had a constant mode and a long pulse mode, so nothing has changed.

jedimasterben, on 11 Feb 2015 - 07:47 AM, said:jedimasterben, on 11 Feb 2015 - 07:47 AM, said:jedimasterben, on 11 Feb 2015 - 07:47 AM, said:

The original MP40 controller had a constant mode and a long pulse mode, so nothing has changed.

Eisernes, on 10 Feb 2015 - 10:56 PM, said:

Something has changed, though I agree its not game over for maxspect gyre, I personally believe they both have their place.

jedimasterben

Something has changed

Don't kid yourself.

ConfigModes1.png

From the top, we have Tidal Swell mode, Nutrient Transport mode, Reef Crest mode, Lagoon mode, Short Pulse mode, and Long Pulse mode. Guess what Long Pulse mode looks like?

jedimasterben, on 11 Feb 2015 - 08:03 AM, said:

Don't kid yourself.

ConfigModes1.png

From the top, we have Tidal Swell mode, Nutrient Transport mode, Reef Crest mode, Lagoon mode, Short Pulse mode, and Long Pulse mode. Guess what Long Pulse mode looks like?

If it makes you feel better your totally right, all hail Maxspect Gyre. I can tell you the mode has changed and I've seen and have more than a graph.

Archived