Coral Vue Hydros

VorTech Quietdrive?

Ahanix

At this point, I can only assume a price drop on the regular older version of the MP10ES/WES, right? Stinks because my ES is supposed to be here tomorrow from BRS. I need it and want it, but I'm considering shipping it back so that I can order this when it comes out. I wonder what the chances are of me having this by the first week or March in my tank?

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

At this point, I can only assume a price drop on the regular older version of the MP10ES/WES, right? Stinks because my ES is supposed to be here tomorrow from BRS. I need it and want it, but I'm considering shipping it back so that I can order this when it comes out. I wonder what the chances are of me having this by the first week or March in my tank?

I highly doubt they will drop in price, more than likely they've not been in regular production and retailers will sell out of them before stocking the new versions.

I've always been a staunch supporter of Ecotech and thier products, still love them. I did, however, not purchase any ecotech products this time around. It wasn't about the money, but frankly Ben's review on the Gyre and of course Dave's mind melting Hybrids caught my attention. I'll wait till these things have ,"Paid thier dues" so to speak before I buy one. With a shallow tank the concern of pulling air is a serious one, so we shall see how quiet and for how LONG they are quiet, at least im MHO. I have jumped on ,"New and improved" items to fast in this hobby, to many time and gotten burned, lol :lol:

EOFU9ao.gif

Yeah yeah, I know, lol. Wanted to try the gyre, no promises I won't turn right around and go back to an MP though. And the light, common, Hybrid vs. LED?

Yeah yeah, I know, lol. Wanted to try the gyre, no promises I won't turn right around and go back to an MP though. And the light, common, Hybrid vs. LED?

Definitely a fan of T5 + LED over LED alone. The Gyre isn't for me for the simple fact of a cord going over the rim of my tank, I had that with the WP25 and I thought it looked ugly, but that's a taste preference. We're currently having 2.5 - 7.5 hours a day of load shedding, so my Vortech Battery Backup has already paid for itself IMO, no more getting up at night to turn on air stones. :)

Definitely a fan of T5 + LED over LED alone. The Gyre isn't for me for the simple fact of a cord going over the rim of my tank, I had that with the WP25 and I thought it looked ugly, but that's a taste preference. Currently having 2.5 - 7.5 hours a day of load shedding, so my Vortech Battery Backup has already paid for itself IMO. :)

Yeah, I understand that, My hopes aren't high for the Gyre, I was going to purchase 2x mp10esW and battery backup combo, glad I didn't. I always seem to buy something and as soon as I get it and install a new, more advanced one comes out. :P I understand the cord, but I still had to used sticky pads and zipties to run the cord down the side of my last tank. So the cord always shows it seems. My tank is so shallow, and positioned where you won't really see the thing.

First off the MP40 design should have been changed years ago. The floating shaft wet side was a design flaw and should have been corrected when they rebranded the MP20 to MP40 years ago.

As far as noise, 80% reduction still means several times louder than Tunze or Jebao in tank pumps, gyre excluded, in my book.

I need to see/hear one of these for myself. Without substantial changes in the actual design of MP pumps as others have pointed out, I'm personally extremely skeptical they could be made substantially quieter by anything other than a much beefier housing to dissipate bearing sound transfer and heat.

First off the MP40 design should have been changed years ago. The floating shaft wet side was a design flaw and should have been corrected when they rebranded the MP20 to MP40 years ago.

As far as noise, 80% reduction still means several times louder than Tunze or Jebao in tank pumps, gyre excluded, in my book.

I need to see/hear one of these for myself. Without substantial changes in the actual design of MP pumps as others have pointed out, I'm personally extremely skeptical they could be made substantially quieter by anything other than a much beefier housing to dissipate bearing sound transfer and heat.

What he said^

:lol:

I know, right, got a good chuckle outta that one! He didn't need to say anything when using that meme....hehehe

What he said^

I know, right, got a good chuckle outta that one! He didn't need to say anything when using that meme....hehehe

Even being part of the test group, I have my reservations about the changes - I have been told I will receive a test MP10wQD tomorrow as well, and will post my findings/thoughts and a comparison between my existing MP10ESw which is almost a year old. I'm not going to discuss any thoughts/findings with StrainedSky so I can get a good, unbiased opinion of the pump and help others make a decision... That being said, I have been using and have had any different pumps over the last 4 years, and I'm pretty sure this will be my 6th Vortech. So I'm hoping the product just became better with these changes.

I'll also be swapping the drivers so I can test the QD driver on my existing "Broken In" MP10 to see how big of a difference it makes in the whirring department. We all know MP10's aren't very loud at all, but my goal has always been to have a silent tank, since they are great to look at, but not really hear...

Anyways, sorry for my rant, I'll keep you all updated this weekend with an unboxing, comparison between the old pump and the new, and demo. I'll try to snag any pictures anyone wants as well.

TL;DR - I'm receiving an MP10wQD to test and provide feedback on as well, pretty much just expect this:

eb4.jpg

Weird, I can hear my Jebao across the basement and at the top of the stairs... I can't hear my mp40 less then 5 feet from the tank and its atleast 3-4 yrs old and been ran on reef crest at 100% the entire time on 1/4, and 1/2" glass.... and even a period of time I had it running on a 100g rubbermaid :lol:

Even being part of the test group, I have my reservations about the changes - I have been told I will receive a test MP10wQD tomorrow as well, and will post my findings/thoughts and a comparison between my existing MP10ESw which is almost a year old. I'm not going to discuss any thoughts/findings with StrainedSky so I can get a good, unbiased opinion of the pump and help others make a decision... That being said, I have been using and have had any different pumps over the last 4 years, and I'm pretty sure this will be my 6th Vortech. So I'm hoping the product just became better with these changes.

I'll also be swapping the drivers so I can test the QD driver on my existing "Broken In" MP10 to see how big of a difference it makes in the whirring department. We all know MP10's aren't very loud at all, but my goal has always been to have a silent tank, since they are great to look at, but not really hear...

Anyways, sorry for my rant, I'll keep you all updated this weekend with an unboxing, comparison between the old pump and the new, and demo. I'll try to snag any pictures anyone wants as well.

TL;DR - I'm receiving an MP10wQD to test and provide feedback on as well, pretty much just expect this:

eb4.jpg

Tell em to send me a 40 and a 60 to "test" lol

I'll also be swapping the drivers so I can test the QD driver on my existing "Broken In" MP10 to see how big of a difference it makes in the whirring department.

this is what I'm really looking forward to.

Will you be posting the video in this thread or some other location? I'm psyched to check out this even quieter design

Is there any other new mp10 or mp40 reviews online??

Not yet, as far as we are aware (outside of ReefBuilders and Advanced Aquarist). Someone better get something up soon.

Glad everybody decided to kiss and make up ;)

Anyway, this new type of control scheme is very real. I've seen some demonstrations recently on stepper motors (used in CNC machines), that usually sing quite a tune during operation, and they come off near silent to the point it's spooky. This is the first application I've seen in 3 phase brushless DC motors, but the principle is basically the same.

As for the bearing issue, that's always going to be an issue until the right bearings are used, or existing ones are packed with the right grease/lube. Oil is not going to cut it, as it will break down at elevated temperatures. Packing the bearing with the right grease is the way to go, but not the easiest option for the home tinkerer, as they won't have the right equipment to do the job right. With the right prep though, I don't doubt that these motors can now be made virtually silent.

I'm interested in the MP10 version whenever it's released. Not going to be a day 0 adopter though, I'll let the community be the beta testers. I've never really been happy with my MP10ES, the noise irks me, its by far the loudest thing on my tank. I was considering buying a second one though (just because I like the control) so if QD actually does anything I might just sell mine and upgrade.

I'm interested in the MP10 version whenever it's released. Not going to be a day 0 adopter though, I'll let the community be the beta testers. I've never really been happy with my MP10ES, the noise irks me, its by far the loudest thing on my tank. I was considering buying a second one though (just because I like the control) so if QD actually does anything I might just sell mine and upgrade.

I have read TONS of people complaining about noise. I have owned about 7 MP 10's and 3 40's and mine have all been quiet. Maybe I am just lucky or hard of hearing :)

I have read TONS of people complaining about noise. I have owned about 7 MP 10's and 3 40's and mine have all been quiet. Maybe I am just lucky or hard of hearing :)

Put it this way, the MP10 is nowhere near as quiet as my Tunze 6015 that I have running in there also. I can even hear the MP10 over my skimmer... I do believe I have a miss-balanced wet side though which could contribute to the noise, an issue that I could never get resolved with various attempts.

jedimasterben

Put it this way, the MP10 is nowhere near as quiet as my Tunze 6015 that I have running in there also. I can even hear the MP10 over my skimmer... I do believe I have a miss-balanced wet side though which could contribute to the noise, an issue that I could never get resolved with various attempts.

The main problem is heat, the MP10 gets far too hot. The lube dries up in the unsealed cheap bearings and that's where the noise comes from. Misalignment of the wet/dry sides will put more strain on the motor and lead to more heat, but it does have some tolerance for alignment.

The main problem is heat, the MP10 gets far too hot. The lube dries up in the unsealed cheap bearings and that's where the noise comes from. Misalignment of the wet/dry sides will put more strain on the motor and lead to more heat, but it does have some tolerance for alignment.

I borrowed a new dry side from my LFS and it alleviated the majority of the noise that I have. It's almost as if the hole through the impeller on the wet side is at a slight angle. The rear of the magnet shows scuff marks covering roughly 1/3 of the magnet. I'm not going to order a new wet side out of principle as the Australian importer wouldn't send me one as a replacement. I'll wait for it to die lol. But yes you are correct about the cheap bearings and the bearing noise. The noise I have is definitely not faulty bearings.

jedimasterben

I borrowed a new dry side from my LFS and it alleviated the majority of the noise that I have. It's almost as if the hole through the impeller on the wet side is at a slight angle. The rear of the magnet shows scuff marks covering roughly 1/3 of the magnet. I'm not going to order a new wet side out of principle as the Australian importer wouldn't send me one as a replacement. I'll wait for it to die lol. But yes you are correct about the cheap bearings and the bearing noise. The noise I have is definitely not faulty bearings.

If your wet side is scraping, then it is off balance and is going to wear the dry side out, so a replacement is probably best unless you also want a new dry side again soon lol

If your wet side is scraping, then it is off balance and is going to wear the dry side out, so a replacement is probably best unless you also want a new dry side again soon lol

I guess your right. But still, I refuse to pay $50 for a new wet side when they should be replacing it for free.

Archived