ReefCleaners.org

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

if you get the customcaddy prepare yourself to drill a lot of extra holes. mine looks worse than swiss cheese.

Why and where did you have to drill the holes? I have a CustomCaddy and it works fine. The InTank may be better, but the CustomCaddy works, at least for me.

• Like 1

Why and where did you have to drill the holes? I have a CustomCaddy and it works fine. The InTank may be better, but the CustomCaddy works, at least for me.

for a while i decided to run a bag of chemipure on the bottom with poly floss filling the rest. with the stock pump it constantly overflowed with the bag of chemipure in it, so naturally i grabbed my drill and slowly added relief holes until i could get away without it overflowing. eventually as the poly floss got dirty it started to overflow, and at that point i decided to move my chemi-pure to my 2nd chamber and only run polyfloss in the custom caddy.

this added flow also helped a lot with reducing any noise of babbling water. it's not important to most people, but this tank is in my room and i would never be able to fall asleep with that noise.

Hey guys! New to this hobby and recently picked up a Nuvo 10 and ghost protein skimmer. Have everything running and trying to break the skimmer in but I'm getting frustrated with it and not sure if mine is malfunctioning. I've read a lot of different reports on the noise levels. The pump is tolerable, but the air valve is incredibly noisy unless it's nearly closed. I ran it nearly closed overnight but the foam/bubbles receded to a level where I'm not sure if anything would get into the collection cup (even with the cup pushed down all the way). Is this part of the "break in" period? I've only had it running for a few days and the air valve has mostly been closed until now.

When it's about halfway open I can hear it from the next room, sheesh! Emailed IM, but tips would be appreciated if applicable.

Will post some pics and stuff once I get everything cycled and running. It's a nice tank.

Hey Neko, I don't have any comment on the skimmer other than I read this kind of comment before. Let me know what you end up doing because I am still on the fence about getting one.?

I just got my IM 10g cycled? and this evening put in my CUC. Never thought I'd be so excited to see snails. Really stoked about the hermits though. I got a few Scarlet and one Halloween. I'm hoping that it will be reef safe. Does anyone have an opinion on the halloweens?post-89740-0-68878900-1449106878_thumb.jpeg

I know it's pretty sad to be stoked about hermits. But I've been looking at water for weeks

• Like 1

The question about how to properly break in the ghost skimmer gets asked frequently. I posted about this back on page 28 :D:D

Here's what I came up with before:

I'm pretty sure based on my experience that if you just do the vinegar bath, and then do the last part (the IM instructions) you should be in good shape in a day or two.

Here's what I did - one or all of these steps seemed to do the trick:

- Vinegar bath (did it twice over a month). During the first month, I didn't get much skimmate and I had lots of microbubbles.
- A day or two after the second vinegar bath, I opened the air venturi all the way, with the cup as high as possible. This immediately eliminated the microbubbles and it started skimming nicely the next day. I read about this setting online. This setting was pretty loud and the skimmate wasn't super dark.
- Somebody else posted instructions they got from IM. Basically, it was to adjust top of the white part of the skimmer so it was 1 1/2" above the water, turn the air venturi down until there are no more bubbles, then open it 1/4 to 1/2 turn after the point where bubbles start to form. Lower the cup as low as it can go. let it run for a day and then raise the cup as needed for the quality of skimmate you need.

For those who are interested I received a very fast response from IM:

"Now the skimmer usually needs about a week to get going and make sure the tank is cycled.

Any excess chemicals would cause the skimmer to not operate as optimally as it should.

The air valve only needs to be opened 45 to 90 degrees from the closed position.

The collection cup should be pushed all the way down so it is barely visible.

Having the air draw in from a venture line makes the skimmer work as it should.

This can cause a slight noise but with the readjustment of the air valve and break in period, it will diminish greatly with only a slight sound since the air needs to continuously be drawn in."

Looks like a lot of my problems are a product of my impatience. Everything on the skimmer seems to be operating normally (bubbles stop when air valve is closed, pump seated correctly, etc.). I'll give it another week or so and we'll see how it turns out.

Hey Neko, I don't have any comment on the skimmer other than I read this kind of comment before. Let me know what you end up doing because I am still on the fence about getting one.

Also saw a lot of mixed reviews but really was interested in something that fits the nuvo perfectly. I'll let you know how it turns out.

The question about how to properly break in the ghost skimmer gets asked frequently. I posted about this back on page 28 :D:D

Here's what I came up with before:

I'm pretty sure based on my experience that if you just do the vinegar bath, and then do the last part (the IM instructions) you should be in good shape in a day or two.

Here's what I did - one or all of these steps seemed to do the trick:

- Vinegar bath (did it twice over a month). During the first month, I didn't get much skimmate and I had lots of microbubbles.
- A day or two after the second vinegar bath, I opened the air venturi all the way, with the cup as high as possible. This immediately eliminated the microbubbles and it started skimming nicely the next day. I read about this setting online. This setting was pretty loud and the skimmate wasn't super dark.
- Somebody else posted instructions they got from IM. Basically, it was to adjust top of the white part of the skimmer so it was 1 1/2" above the water, turn the air venturi down until there are no more bubbles, then open it 1/4 to 1/2 turn after the point where bubbles start to form. Lower the cup as low as it can go. let it run for a day and then raise the cup as needed for the quality of skimmate you need.

Thanks a lot! I'm going to try the vinegar bath tomorrow I think. I really appreciate the response. I've read through just about your entire build log and it's been a big help.

Thanks again all!

• Like 1

Hi

Newbie question. I have just set up my Fusion 10 and also the IM skimmer but not yet installed. I have seen mentioned quite a few times about a vinegar bath to stop the micro-bubbles.

How/why does this help on a new skimmer?

Is it the whole unit or only certain parts that should be given this 'bath'?

Will all traces of the vinegar go once it has been rinsed a few times?

Are there any instructions (e.g. dilution/time) for the bath?

Thanks

I also have a ghost skimmer.

I actually didn't do any of the above recommended steps (didn't even see them). Currently my cup is sitting MUCH higher then what IM recommends though. I actually had a really hard time due to foam and water flowing way to high into the cup. I have my air draw set only about a turn open. I have been getting a thick skimate collecting on the sides of the overflow into the cup but that is about it. The only thing I have in my tank currently is the clean up crew and the rock i put in was base rock so the fact it is skimming anything is good I guess. I am curious to see how it responds to the first lives stock added.

Hi

Newbie question. I have just set up my Fusion 10 and also the IM skimmer but not yet installed. I have seen mentioned quite a few times about a vinegar bath to stop the micro-bubbles.

How/why does this help on a new skimmer?

Is it the whole unit or only certain parts that should be given this 'bath'?

Will all traces of the vinegar go once it has been rinsed a few times?

Are there any instructions (e.g. dilution/time) for the bath?

Thanks

From what I've read the skimmer is coated with oils/minerals/etc. from it being manufactured. These affect the performance of the skimmer until they're removed through normal operation (the break-in period). Since this is quite lengthy, people use vinegar since it apparently helps to speed this process up. I ran mine in a small bucket for a few hours (I found that figure around here somewhere). Afterwards I rinsed it out and let it dry and put it back in the tank. Some improvement. I've heard after the vinegar bath it will still be a few days.

Thanks NekoTwilight, I'll give it a go.

In the brochure IM state to wait a month until after the initial cycle is complete before running the skimmer. Can anyone explain why and also is it "bad" to run it earlier than this?

From what I've read the skimmer is coated with oils/minerals/etc. from it being manufactured. These affect the performance of the skimmer until they're removed through normal operation (the break-in period). Since this is quite lengthy, people use vinegar since it apparently helps to speed this process up. I ran mine in a small bucket for a few hours (I found that figure around here somewhere). Afterwards I rinsed it out and let it dry and put it back in the tank. Some improvement. I've heard after the vinegar bath it will still be a few days.

Thanks NekoTwilight, I'll give it a go.

In the brochure IM state to wait a month until after the initial cycle is complete before running the skimmer. Can anyone explain why and also is it "bad" to run it earlier than this?

it's not really "bad" more than it is unnecessary. you want your tank to naturally filter itself for the first month or two, turning on a protein skimmer will just take away some food available for the bacteria. i would start to use it once you have something that requires daily feeding and have the extra waste in the tank to remove.

Hey Teeny. You have the MJ900, right? I just installed the MJ900, and it is blowing what appears to be air bubbles into the tank. Is this to be expected? Just installed this afternoon. Is there a break-in? Any advice welcome.

SarlinDescent

Tank just finished cycling last night. I had it complete and wasn't 100% sure since I never saw nitrites, so I added ammonia to 4.0ppm. Thank cleared it in 1.5 days. Nitrates were around 100-110 after the ammonia so I did an 80% WC. Will test again after it stabilizes. If you see any issues with the coral stocking lmk. Still waiting on some parts to come in like ato and dosers.

Stats:

IM 10

Neptune Apex / Lab Probes

WP10 - 12V Adaptor

Cobalt 50W Heater

Kessil A160

IMAG0593.jpg

Intended Coral Stocking:

Coral_Placement.png

Livestock planned:

2 Mixed Clowns (Thinking Fancy and Snowflake atm)

1-2 Flame Prawn Gobies

CUC

If this is turns out to be too much, the clowns will move to my 50 (building in 4 months).

• Like 3

I don't know how people are running with upgraded pumps on this tank. I put a Cobalt MJ900 in it and the water in the return column was down to barely covering the top of the pump, with nothing in the media rack or skimmer columns to add restriction. How can this successfully work with ATO sensors, probes, etc?

Even an Eheim 600 was still really low in the return with both columns empty..

I don't know how people are running with upgraded pumps on this tank. I put a Cobalt MJ900 in it and the water in the return column was down to barely covering the top of the pump, with nothing in the media rack or skimmer columns to add restriction. How can this successfully work with ATO sensors, probes, etc?

You just run the system with more water in it. I ran a mj1200 initially and kept the display water level like half an inch from the top. It was too much, I couldn't use the lid. I downgraded it to the mj600 which was much better, but I still felt like it pulled water too fast. Now I'm using a sicce micra @ 90 gph and it is perfect. The sump area is silent, no splashing in the rack, and I feel water spends an appropriate amount of time with the media now.

I've been fiddling with the MJ900 in my IM 10g for 24hrs, adjusting direction and whatnot. I definitely had to add water. I think I finally have it dialed in...we'll see fingerscrossed. My tunze 3152 will be here in a few days, hopefully <_< , and I will see how that monkey wrench affects the system.

I just use the stock return pump. The MP10 gives all the flow I need in the display chamber.

^ this.

one of the first things the hand full of us did a year ago was seeing what return pump worked best. the vast majority of us have been running the stock return pump with no issues.

• Like 1

I've been running a MiniJet 404. When I had the stock pump, the surface of the water was covered in this "film," I guess organics. But once I added the MJ 404, it cleared up and I had good turn over.

If you don't have an in-tank pump like an MP10 or RW4, then you definitely will want to upgrade the stock pump :)

The challenge with only using the circulation pump is that once you get the flow high enough for the display chamber, it's really fast in the back chambers. As others have noted, you have to increase the water level in the display, which increases the risk of salt creep around the clips for the top. And it gets noisier, and it tends to flow around filter media instead of going through. These are all problems that can be overcome, it just takes time to get the exact level of flow that provides a compromise between too much and too little.

• Like 1

Mine has been up and running for a couple months now and I couldnt be happier!

Awesome! Do you have a build thread so we can check it out? We like pictures :D

Awesome! Do you have a build thread so we can check it out? We like pictures :D

I do not have a build but in a few months hopefully ill get around to posting a progress thread!

• Like 1