Cultivated Reef

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

Welcome to the club!

Your going to love it.

And another one! Welcome to the club!

Thanks for the welcomes! I will start a build thread shortly. I have to inventory what i have vs. What is needed and clean up some old equipment. This is the first time i ever ran a leak test on my kitchen table. All of my previous tanks have been 40 gallons or larger. ?

post-66512-0-28560400-1451670425_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
reefernanoman

Thanks for the welcomes! I will start a build thread shortly. I have to inventory what i have vs. What is needed and clean up some old equipment. This is the first time i ever ran a leak test on my kitchen table. All of my previous tanks have been 40 gallons or larger.

I have never done a leak test in any of my tanks since 2005! But I guess its better to be safe than sorry.

• Like 1

I have never done a leak test in any of my tanks since 2005! But I guess its better to be safe than sorry.

Yeah im mostly concerned about the seal of the wall and the 3rd chamber.. But now that i think about it there is no sump so its rather a moot point.

• Like 2

Yeah im mostly concerned about the seal of the wall and the 3rd chamber.. But now that i think about it there is no sump so its rather a moot point.

Welcome! Let us know when you start your build thread!

i really need to get a new bottle of super glue and clean up this sand bed.

coral_zpscc9w7wei.jpg

Those look nice :wub:

• Like 1

I bought the Spin-Stream and now I wish I hadn't. The tank has been running for a day nice and quite, I put the SpinStream on this morning and the thing is crazy loud. Time to take it out and try and get rid of it. Great idea, poor design.

I'm new on here, and I started reading this from page 1. I use to own a Red Sea tank, lost everything in a divorce, yep the tank too. Anyway after researching nano tanks, here I am. Long story short, I think this may be a little premature to toss this device before you break it in.

I watched the IM video on how to clean this " Spin-Stream" and after reading about your "noise" problem it turned on the lite bulb. Those are plastic gears inside are injection molded, so they are smooth but not matched to each other. How they mesh together will determine how much noise they make. Too deep or not deep enough = noise. More flow from return pump also increase the noise.

Solution; You have to lap the gears and let them mate or mesh with a fine lap compound or you could use a very strong toothpaste. Strong pump, hose, 5 gal bucket with water. Run 48 hours, check for noise. Take apart clean, recheck for noise. Act according to whatever you get. Relap if you have noise.

Good Luck

I'm new on here, and I started reading this from page 1. I use to own a Red Sea tank, lost everything in a divorce, yep the tank too. Anyway after researching nano tanks, here I am. Long story short, I think this may be a little premature to toss this device before you break it in.

I watched the IM video on how to clean this " Spin-Stream" and after reading about your "noise" problem it turned on the lite bulb. Those are plastic gears inside are injection molded, so they are smooth but not matched to each other. How they mesh together will determine how much noise they make. Too deep or not deep enough = noise. More flow from return pump also increase the noise.

Solution; You have to lap the gears and let them mate or mesh with a fine lap compound or you could use a very strong toothpaste. Strong pump, hose, 5 gal bucket with water. Run 48 hours, check for noise. Take apart clean, recheck for noise. Act according to whatever you get. Relap if you have noise.

Good Luck

it all depends on the shape of the gears as well. a helical cut gear will make far less noise then a straight cut gear.

it all depends on the shape of the gears as well. a helical cut gear will make far less noise then a straight cut gear.

True, but they still can't be to deep or to far apart.

Does anyone run the Fusion 10 stock pump just for the beginner corals?

From what I am reading, I think most people run the stock pump regardless of the type of coral. I have mine running with water now and it turns the tank over fine. You may want a small powerhead inside the tank.

• Like 2

From what I am reading, I think most people run the stock pump regardless of the type of coral. I have mine running with water now and it turns the tank over fine. You may want a small powerhead inside the tank.

+1. I have a jebao rw4 and then jumped the gun and bought a mj900 to replace the stock pump, way too much :o . Most stick with the stock, as far as i understand it. I went back to the stock and now use the mj900 for mixing saltwater in 2-3 gallon batches for water changes.

• Like 1

Thank

+1. I have a jebao rw4 and then jumped the gun and bought a mj900 to replace the stock pump, way too much :o . Most stick with the stock, as far as i understand it. I went back to the stock and now use the mj900 for mixing saltwater in 2-3 gallon batches for water changes.

Thanks!

Cool, I'll keep the stock and maybe pick up the wavemaker. The RW4 is the one that stands out, seems like it can give the back and forth water flow without being so strong, so I'll probably go for that.

• Like 2

Thank

Thanks!

Cool, I'll keep the stock and maybe pick up the wavemaker. The RW4 is the one that stands out, seems like it can give the back and forth water flow without being so strong, so I'll probably go for that.

be careful with the rw4, with the stock power supply the power setting really cant go past 2 without making the tank a sandstorm

• Like 2

be careful with the rw4, with the stock power supply the power setting really cant go past 2 without making the tank a sandstorm

kylhcky is right. Have to replace the 24v plug with a 12v plug (had an extra one from an old modem laying around, as most of us do these days) and then you have much more range to play with. Even still, with the stock pump and the rw4, I usually keep it at 1 or 2 depending on where it is pointed. People with more coin tend to get the MP10, i think~

• Like 2

Yep, I think the consensus on this thread is keep the stock return pump, and get extra flow in the display area with an MP10, or an RW4 with the 12v power adapter,

There's good pros and cons about MP10 vs RW4 but either one is great in this tank. I just like the MP10 because it occupies less space inside the tank :)

• Like 2

kylhcky is right. Have to replace the 24v plug with a 12v plug (had an extra one from an old modem laying around, as most of us do these days) and then you have much more range to play with. Even still, with the stock pump and the rw4, I usually keep it at 1 or 2 depending on where it is pointed. People with more coin tend to get the MP10, i think~

Yep, I think the consensus on this thread is keep the stock return pump, and get extra flow in the display area with an MP10, or an RW4 with the 12v power adapter,

There's good pros and cons about MP10 vs RW4 but either one is great in this tank. I just like the MP10 because it occupies less space inside the tank :)

Wow, the MP10 looks awesome how half of it is out of the tank! But it is a lot of extra coin compared to the RW4.

if jebao would be smart and realize the hidden potential in the nano market , they'd make a rw-2 and blow ecotech out of the water as far as what you get for price point. because the mp is worth it, it's just at the other end of the spectrum. it's a top dollar circulation pump with all of the bells and whistles.

hell even just to have a rw-4 sitting in a box as a backup just in case the mp breaks isn't a bad option either.

• Like 4

I bought the rw-4 for a couple of reasons.

1st, and most obvious is price. For the cost of an mp10 I got the rw4 and a IM Ghost skimmer.

2nd, You can aim the rw4. Our tanks are pretty small and directional currents are pretty irrelevant, but I angled my pump a little towards the overflow. This way any debris in the water column have a tendency to get picked up quickly.

The biggest downside is the power.

Like many have said before, with the stock 24v power supply, it can quickly make things sandy.

If you have the Arag Alive oolite sand like I do, you cannot have it on anything above the 1st setting.

I'm actually considering getting different sand simply because I have to clean off my coral and Rockwork every day, and I'm getting pretty tired of it.

But then again I'm still looking for a cheap used mp10. ;)

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm a computer guy, so I have a ton a power adapters lying around and can make the RW4 work.

I think I got the heavier sand - CaribSea AragAlive Special Grade Reef Sand - Grain Size 1.0 - 2.0 mm

Droy008, how do you like the Ghost? After a few months, and after I move beyond the beginner coral, I plan on investing in it.

And who knows, maybe the RW2 will come out or I'll find a mp10 on sale too! ;)

• Like 1

I love the ghost skimmer, just remember that it takes time to break in.

While breaking in you will have a small amount of micro bubbles.

Also I'm finding that you NEED to have an ATO if you have the skimmer.

The skimmer requires a constant water level, and with evaporation the skimmer cannot function properly.

• Like 2

Thanks for further confirming for me that an ATO is necessary. Yet another investment, lol... I'll wait some time for these two purchases.

Arguably one of the most important things I've bought. Tunze 3152. Others have 3155 (better failsafe but bulkier)

Just picked up some zoas from a member on NR, and one of the packs ruptured in transit across the country. There was still water in the bag, but not much. Here's to hoping they are okay :scarry:

• Like 3