Cultivated Reef

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

I didn't mention anything in the other thread about this because someone is trying to say that I'm like a nanobox fanboy or whatever.

I don't know how that happened, since I mentioned a few times that the Prime looks like a good little light.

I noticed that. I have been following along.

I have been happy with my Tide but I would like to see a comparison with the Tide, Kessil A160WE, Radion XR15W Pro, and the Prime. I was speaking with someone at the LFS and they said that they replaced a Kessil with a Radion on their nano tank because they did not see any growth. I think that it had more to do with company reps and perks than the lighting but that is just my opinion. I am not sure that it is possible to see all of the lights side by side or to get an honest opinion from the LFS.

As I mentioned, I like my Tide but I wish that I had more control over individual colors which is something that the Prime offers. I have also noticed that the Kessil is able to bring out a little more of the fluorescent coloring in the corals than I have been able to get out of my Tide.

With prices ranging from $200 to $450 with the above mentioned lights it would be nice to see how they actually compare performance wise as well as overall look of the tank when lit by them.

I love the color I can get with my kessil as far as temp, but I hate it or any other led for spa. Call me crazy but I love my t5 and mh combo

Edit.. Sps

reefernanoman

I love the color I can get with my kessil as far as temp, but I hate it or any other led for spa. Call me crazy but I love my t5 and mh comboEdit.. Sps

How about a t5 and led hybrid?

I have been very happy with my SPS and LED's since switching in 2012.

reefernanoman

Man, I think that my daughter was playing with a can of febreeze inside the room where my fusion 10G is and I can see a couple of my SPS not doing so well! It's been about 2 weeks since that happened, so hopefully they will bounce back. Has anyone ever experienced this?

She uses the whole can like in 3 days and I could smell that junk inside the mentioned room.

Man, I think that my daughter was playing with a can of febreeze inside the room where my fusion 10G is and I can see a couple of my SPS not doing so well! It's been about 2 weeks since that happened, so hopefully they will bounce back. Has anyone ever experienced this? She uses the whole can like in 3 days and I could smell that junk inside the mentioned room.

I managed to get some Pledge in my last sw tank and it wiped out everything. I was working on the tank and asked my wifebfor a towel. She grabbed the first towelmin site and it had pledge on it. Good luck with things! Hopefullyyour sps will perk up soon.

• Like 1
reefernanoman

I managed to get some Pledge in my last sw tank and it wiped out everything. I was working on the tank and asked my wifebfor a towel. She grabbed the first towelmin site and it had pledge on it. Good luck with things! Hopefullyyour sps will perk up soon.

Thanks.

Sorry to hear that

What chamber are your Apex or RK probes in?

I have mine in the 3rd chamber with my heater and return pump. I ran into a problem with this setup.

I turned my return pump off for feeding and failed to turn it back on for about 12 hours. Because the water was not circulating, my heater would cycle on and off while the tank temp fell to 74 deg. According to my Apex, everything was fine but it was not. Luckily i found the problem before loosing anything except my emerald crab. Still not sure if the crab loss was due to the temp loss. But it is dead in and around the same time frame.

Please letnme know how your probes arevset up.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Here is my 10G Nuvo twin build, the stand is a Seville stainless steel stand that I cut down from 35 inches high to 20 inches high. The flow from the MJ 1200 was a bit high and the flow was real close to the top of the tank. I opted to get some LocLine and a larger "nozzle" to send the water in more of a downward direction.

The tank on the left will be specifically used for Zooanthids and the tank on the right will be SPS only, 3 acro frags will be all this tank contains.

When I was putting (superglue) the rocks together, I specifically made them for the intended corals and fish. The tank on the left will house 1 Barnacle Blenny and 3 sexy shrimp and the tank on the right will house 1 purple firefish. The rocks on the right are staggered to prevent premature shading of the Acro colonies.

For additional water movement I opted for the Tunze Nanostream (controllable) and the Tunze nano ATO. Both tanks will be bare bottom so I can really ramp up the pumps without the sandstorm.

On the bottom of the rocks I superglued small pieces of cutting board to prevent scratching the tank, Jake Adams gave me the idea, he used frag plugs, I happened to have some extra black cutting board from my 50G and 70G builds.

My "twin 10G" was inspired by Jake Adams EcoReef, initially I was going to go with the Elos Mini, but a few things turned me off to Elos.

1) The Elos Stand is made of MDF

2) I called CoralVue to inquire on purchasing the Elos "Absolute" stand, which is made of a metal frame, CoralVue never even bothered to return my call. I thought to myself, if I want to purchase something from a company and they won't call me back, imagine if something goes wrong and a replacement is needed.

My preferred vendor is Bulk Reef Supply, they have always called me back, fixed problems fast, usually the next day and have amazing customer service. The Nuvo 10G tanks arrived the next day, well packaged, no broken items and lots of padding.

post-87699-0-53462600-1427531826_thumb.jpg

post-87699-0-00057600-1427531876_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I ordered Nanobox Tide lights for both tanks, currently I am using some lights I had sitting around. Here is a closeup of the Acro Rock.

It is amazing how long you can spend playing with rocks to get just the right look, the rock was from BRS and it was the Fiji Dry Rock.

I won't have Barnacles in the tank for the Barnacle Blenny, but the deep holes should suffice for the Blenny to feel safe.

post-87699-0-53067500-1427533800_thumb.jpg

post-87699-0-93200300-1427533937_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I filled both tanks with change water from my existing 50G and 70G tanks and had some Marine Pure Ceramic BioBalls sitting in the sump of the 70G. I really like the NanoStream pulse mode, they are whisper silent. I tested out an extra MP10 in the 10G and it was a bit too visible for myself and I did not like the flow patterns in the 10G. I really like the EcoTech MP10 but not in such a small application. In my larger tanks they are perfect.

The ATO containers are from ReefCreators, they are 1 Gallon containers. Once corals are introduced I will wait a bit and monitor the PH and dose Kalk accordingly. I am guessing around 1/2 a teaspoon per container initially. The evaporation per day seems to be around 5% of the volume of the ATO container.

• Like 1

Quick question for the fusion 10 club. Is there any tricks/tips to cleaning the filtration chamber? Specifically the dead end part! I'm seeing a good degree of algae build up in there.

I put floss on top of the sponge in the over flow then I use a turkey baster and blast the whole back chamber clean. The flood catches the debris.

I use one of those brushes from Wal Mart that is used for polishing tires in the auto section, it cost about 3 bucks but cleans the AIO sections handily and doubles as a tube cleaner for my Pico Skim whenever it gets mungy.

• Like 2

I've got to confess that I've never cleaned it out :o

Now I'm kind of freaked out. Everything seems to be growing and doing well. I wonder if things would do even better if I clean it out, or would it trigger some kind of dramatic tank crash???

I'm such a neat freak with my tanks that I'm almost going to have to clean it out so that I don't keep worrying about it :)

• Like 1

What chamber are your Apex or RK probes in?

I have mine in the 3rd chamber with my heater and return pump. I ran into a problem with this setup.

I turned my return pump off for feeding and failed to turn it back on for about 12 hours. Because the water was not circulating, my heater would cycle on and off while the tank temp fell to 74 deg. According to my Apex, everything was fine but it was not. Luckily i found the problem before loosing anything except my emerald crab. Still not sure if the crab loss was due to the temp loss. But it is dead in and around the same time frame.

Please letnme know how your probes arevset up.

Thanks.

I keep mine in the third chamber along with the heater. I done the same thing you have - more than once. Both of the other chambers are too full to fit the temp probe in my setup, though. But if you can put it on either of the other chambers that would help remind you to turn the pump back on.

I think it's probably just coincidence you lost your emerald when the temperature went down. Or else he was almost ready to kick the bucket anyway and the temperature change pushed him over the edge. 74 degrees is well within the survival zone. Everything in your tank probably experienced lower temps than that in their journeys to your tank :)

I filled both tanks with change water from my existing 50G and 70G tanks and had some Marine Pure Ceramic BioBalls sitting in the sump of the 70G. I really like the NanoStream pulse mode, they are whisper silent. I tested out an extra MP10 in the 10G and it was a bit too visible for myself and I did not like the flow patterns in the 10G. I really like the EcoTech MP10 but not in such a small application. In my larger tanks they are perfect.

The ATO containers are from ReefCreators, they are 1 Gallon containers. Once corals are introduced I will wait a bit and monitor the PH and dose Kalk accordingly. I am guessing around 1/2 a teaspoon per container initially. The evaporation per day seems to be around 5% of the volume of the ATO container.

Nice tanks! Have you started a build thread?

When I looked at the NanoStream online, I thought the dimensions were bigger than the MP10, at least im comparison to the wet side. Do you find that the NanoStream is less visible in the tank than the MP10? Or are you comparing to the combined visibility of both the dray and wet side?

• Like 1

I was looking at both the dry and wet side, the power cord going into the water is a bit unsightly on the Tunze, but I just moved it to the far rear of the tank. The Tunze Nano Stream is also known as the "Poor Mans Gyre"

• Like 1

I've got to confess that I've never cleaned it out :o

Now I'm kind of freaked out. Everything seems to be growing and doing well. I wonder if things would do even better if I clean it out, or would it trigger some kind of dramatic tank crash???

I'm such a neat freak with my tanks that I'm almost going to have to clean it out so that I don't keep worrying about it :)

Well I wasn't able to get ALL of it because I wasn't willing to take that extra time to rip everything out of the back (light, heater, probes, etc.) to be able to reach everything, but my tank looks nicer. If anything went into the display it was spit into my filter floss a few minutes later and I can toss it all in a day or two when I change that. If its not hurting anything by being in the back I don't think it will hurt anything by being in the front for a few days...

• Like 1

Today's water change day...I may go crazy and clean out the dead area and maybe even clean out the return pump. Hopefully I won't kill everything in the tank :lol:

• Like 1

Looking for some suggestions on what to add next. Looking to add some coral higher up on the rocks.

You might try some beginner SPS high on the rocks, like a birdsnest. Start it lower so it can get used to the light and then gradually move it further up.

• Like 2

You might try some beginner SPS high on the rocks, like a birdsnest. Start it lower so it can get used to the light and then gradually move it further up.

I was about to suggest the birdsnest too but teeny beat me to it. Mine grows like crazy

• Like 2