ReefCleaners.org

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

reefernanoman

Just ordered the InTank media basket too. Ill start a build thread as soon as parts start showing up.

Only 6 posts, but all about some great equipment coming your way! Nice.

• Like 1

Looks like i just joined the club! I couldn't help myself

On97noq.jpg

I can't help but join the chorus - can't wait to see you're build thread and hear/see how the AI Prime looks on this tank. You're doing it right :)

I'm using an Eheim 600 Compact instead of the stock pump. It has a maximum flow of 160 gph. I have it set to run at a somewhat lower rate than it's maximum. I haven't measured the flow, but it is greater than the stock pump can provide.

However, there is a difference between the return/filter/circulation pump (which is what you are referring to) and a pump used to enhance the flow inside the tank. Although the return/filtration pump by itself may provide all the flow/circulation you want. The WP10 and MP10 referenced above are purely flow pumps and cannot be used in place of the stock 92 gph return/filter pump.

If your aquarium has few, or no SPS corals, upgrading the stock pump to an Eheim 600 compact or to an MJ600 will provide all the circulation your corals will need. But I would stay away from the Spinstream, especially if you upgrade the pump. In the first place, it's not necessary for good flow. You can easily adjust the outflow nozzle to get good flow. Second, when the Spinstream turns upwards, you are likely to have water splashing out of the tank - especially with the higher pump flow rate that the MJ600 or Eheim 600 Compact deliver.

I have quite a few SPS corals, and a few Gorgonians, so I use a Vortech MP10 QD to enhance the flow, even though I've upgraded the stock pump.

Great post, Livewreck! You are absolutely correct.

Good points teeny. You are right, I don't dose. How about I get an API test kit? Those are cheaper, but I have heard that they are not that accurate. Thanks.

Yeah, API for nitrates is not great. You're better off with the Red Sea or Salifert kit for that.

• Like 1

Only 6 posts, but all about some great equipment coming your way! Nice.

haha I've been a lurker on here for 4 years just reading all i can till i finally pulled the trigger. Just bought a new house and sold my high tech planted tank and finished my truck build so it was finally time!

• Like 2
reefernanoman

haha I've been a lurker on here for 4 years just reading all i can till i finally pulled the trigger. Just bought a new house and sold my high tech planted tank and finished my truck build so it was finally time!

Sounds like a great year for you already!

Well. I've got mine up and running with just some dry rock cycling and i have a build thread in "members aquariums". I'm running the stock pump and an MP10 for added flow. I'm really impressed by the stock pump because it seems to be the strongest 92 gph pump i've seen.

I just noticed something a little strange while going over some of the other IM10 builds on the forum. It seems like almost every pic i've seen of someones tank that shows the red round "inspected by" sticker on the side of the tank says inspector # 10. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have an IM 10 inspected by anyone else?

• Like 3
Brownsugar2000

post-77537-0-23293200-1428166985_thumb.jpg

Hey guys, I'm loving all your tanks, here's another on to add to the club!

Nuvo fusion 10

Neo therm 50

Jeboa wp10

Stock pump

No skimmer

Chemipure elite/ filter floss

In tank media basket

Blue-green chromis

Coral compulsion par38 full spec

Live rock/dry rock

• Like 3
reefernanoman

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hey guys, I'm loving all your tanks, here's another on to add to the club!

Nuvo fusion 10

Neo therm 50

Jeboa wp10

Stock pump

No skimmer

Chemipure elite/ filter floss

In tank media basket

Blue-green chromis

Coral compulsion par38 full spec

Live rock/dry rock

Welcome to the club! It's a pretty big club now too!
  • Like 1

Thanks! Even after researching warnings of possible too much flow for the media caddy - I'm going with upgrading the return pump to a cobalt MJ900. I'll let you guys know how it works out :).

I tried the MJ900 in my tank, there are a few problems. I felt that it was too much flow, it raised the tank water level past the point that water filters through your floss and it just kinda pours out everywhere. Since the tank water level was raised it made a salt drip on the little plastic guards that keep the cover on your tank and i was constantly cleaning the outside of the tank. I'd keep the stock pump and get something for inside the tank to add flow

• Like 1

is everyone having trouble with an upgraded pump?

IMO the stock pump gives plenty of flow and it seems a lot more than 92 or 93 GPH to me. With any more flow, the water will just flow all over the place upon entering the overflow grate.

My feelings on the primary pumps function: I feel the main function of the primary pump in an AIO is to provide a flow of water to the filtration chamber, through mechanical filtration media, carbon or other media of choice, skimmers, heaters, etc, and then back into the display area.

The stock pump provided with the IM 10 does this job well. Some folks want higher flow rates and so they purchase and use higher flow pumps. This is all well and good keeping in mind that some of the manufacturers of nutrient exporting media recommend the flow rate through their product to remain fairly slow (Seachem recommends a flow rate of no more than 50 GPH through their "De Nitrate" pellets).

If you need higher flow, a supplementary powerhead, etc should do the job.

Keep in mind, everything i've said here is just my opinion and everyone is welcome to their own.

• Like 4
reefernanoman

is everyone having trouble with an upgraded pump?

Honestly if I put even the stock pump at full blast, it will overwhelm my intank media basket, so I just use it at half the slider setting and it works great like that. For extra flow and no heat transfer, I went with an MP10 like I mentioned before.

• Like 2

Honestly if I put even the stock pump at full blast, it will overwhelm my intank media basket, so I just use it at half the slider setting and it works great like that. For extra flow and no heat transfer, I went with an MP10 like I mentioned before.

Me too on the MP10

• Like 1

My tank is sitting dry right now and I am just piecing things together. I have purchased the intank media rack, cobalt 50w heater, Chemi pure blue, Purigen, Apex, Tunze ATO, Kessil 160 WE Tuna Blue and thinking about the ghost skimmer. I will be seeding the tank with live rock and sand from my Red Sea 650. Please reply with any suggestions you might have. This tank is going to mainly be all SPS so I will need to add flow and I am looking at the vortech MP10.

• Like 2
reefernanoman

My tank is sitting dry right now and I am just piecing things together. I have purchased the intank media rack, cobalt 50w heater, Chemi pure blue, Purigen, Apex, Tunze ATO, Kessil 160 WE Tuna Blue and thinking about the ghost skimmer. I will be seeding the tank with live rock and sand from my Red Sea 650. Please reply with any suggestions you might have. This tank is going to mainly be all SPS so I will need to add flow and I am looking at the vortech MP10.

I would get the discounted older non QD model since the new model has been giving trouble(the wet side for some reason) by the way of noise which is ironic. I just bought the MP10WES older model and it came out of the box with zero problems and it's very quiet. I would skip the skimmer if it was me. I do have the desktop skimmer but sometimes I think it's not needed. It's pretty loud. I have a 100% SPS dominated fusion 10G and with 1G weekly water changes my tank is doing great and I'm almost certain that it would do well without a skimmer. I have a another tank(28g nanocube) which is skimmerless, that has SPS, LPS, zoas, acans, chalice, etc. That tank is doing great after years with no skimmer. Good luck and welcome to the club!

• Like 1

I would get the discounted older non QD model since the new model has been giving trouble(the wet side for some reason) by the way of noise which is ironic. I just bought the MP10WES older model and it came out of the box with zero problems and it's very quiet. I would skip the skimmer if it was me. I do have the desktop skimmer but sometimes I think it's not needed. It's pretty loud. I have a 100% SPS dominated fusion 10G and with 1G weekly water changes my tank is doing great and I'm almost certain that it would do well without a skimmer. I have a another tank(28g nanocube) which is skimmerless, that has SPS, LPS, zoas, acans, chalice, etc. That tank is doing great after years with no skimmer. Good luck and welcome to the club!

I will punt the skimmer for now and see how it goes. I am going to wait for the extra pump until I stat putting corals in the tank. What salt are you using? I currently use Red Sea Pro and I am thinking about doing 2 gallon water changes weekly as I do weekly on my big tank.

reefernanoman

I will punt the skimmer for now and see how it goes. I am going to wait for the extra pump until I stat putting corals in the tank. What salt are you using? I currently use Red Sea Pro and I am thinking about doing 2 gallon water changes weekly as I do weekly on my big tank.

I also use RSCP and have seen great growth from my corals. 2G per week sounds like a good plan.

• Like 1
reefernanoman

what about Aqua Illumination Prime for light instead of Kessil?

There are a few people here with both lights, so somebody will be able to chime in. From what I have observed, the PRIME'S advantage is that no extra controller is needed, just the mount.

Whats everyone running in their media baskets?
I was running chemi pure blue and filter floss at the start but have since switched to just purigen. Its not doing as well, pretty sure thats when my cyano started, will be switching back to blue as soon as my delivery arrives.

Also thinking of running a HOB phospate reactor.

Purchased AI Prime today along with my heater, and Tunze nano ATO. InTank media rack arrived today. Taking in 10 gallons of RSCP salt water, 5 Gallons on TO water, Sand from my Red Sea 650 and live rock from sump. Tomorrow is a big day.

• Like 3
Miamifish897

Does anyone have any rock nem's in their setup, what are your thoughts?

Ive got one in my setup it's honestly my favorite coral in the tank, I currently have a porcelain crab hosting which makes it even better.

• Like 1