SaltCritters.com

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

Any consensus on the most appropriate pump upgrade for the Fusion 10? I'd like to up the flow in my tank from the 92GPH it's at with the stock. Not sure what's too much though. Was looking at the cobalt MJ600 which is a 160GPH. I'll be adding the intank media basket with this upgrade, so hopefully flow restriction isn't an issue. I'd like to avoid adding a powerhead into the tank if possible. Hoping the spinstream can counter any dead spots with some more power behind it. Any wisdom is appreciated!

Any consensus on the most appropriate pump upgrade for the Fusion 10? I'd like to up the flow in my tank from the 92GPH it's at with the stock. Not sure what's too much though. Was looking at the cobalt MJ600 which is a 160GPH. I'll be adding the intank media basket with this upgrade, so hopefully flow restriction isn't an issue. I'd like to avoid adding a powerhead into the tank if possible. Hoping the spinstream can counter any dead spots with some more power behind it. Any wisdom is appreciated!

I'm looking to add more flow too, I tried the spinstream and thought it was terrible.

I just went ahead and bought a pump for inside the tank. I got the WP10.

reefernanoman

I'm looking to add more flow too, I tried the spinstream and thought it was terrible.

My WP10 worked great for me for 6 months, but I went back to my MP10 due to the smaller size, better controllability through my Apex, no wires inside my tank, no heat transfer, and it's easier to clean.

• Like 1

My WP10 worked great for me for 6 months, but I went back to my MP10 due to the smaller size, better controllability through my Apex, no wires inside my tank, no heat transfer, and it's easier to clean.

O god :/ I was worried about heat transfer, my tank already runs pretty hot.

reefernanoman

O god :/ I was worried about heat transfer, my tank already runs pretty hot.

I honestly think that it wasn't that much, maybe 0.5 degrees (somewhere around that area). The main reason for changing to my MP10 was not heat. Adding my ghost skimmer added a little heat too.

reefernanoman

So I got a red sea test kit for my fusion 10G, since I recently lost one of my sps and want to know if my water is OK, but the expiration date is 10/16? That's less than two years from now and it cost me $50! Should I keep it or return it?

20150401_135056.jpg20150401_135024.jpg

I was thinking about returning it, since that is a very short time and will probably use it like once or twice.

I don't think that's an unusual expiration date. 55 tests would let you test every other week over the next two years. Admittedly, you'll probably never test for ammonia or nitrates unless you're worried about cycling a tank, but I test alk every few days and nitrates about every other week. But if you don't dose you probably don't care about testing alkalinity very often.

I never test ph, since it always follows my alkalinity level anyway.

So...unless you are dosing or cycling a tank, you really only need to test nitrates. So maybe return the kit and just get a nitrate kit?

reefernanoman

I don't think that's an unusual expiration date. 55 tests would let you test every other week over the next two years. Admittedly, you'll probably never test for ammonia or nitrates unless you're worried about cycling a tank, but I test alk every few days and nitrates about every other week. But if you don't dose you probably don't care about testing alkalinity very often.

I never test ph, since it always follows my alkalinity level anyway.

So...unless you are dosing or cycling a tank, you really only need to test nitrates. So maybe return the kit and just get a nitrate kit?

Good points teeny. You are right, I don't dose. How about I get an API test kit? Those are cheaper, but I have heard that they are not that accurate. Thanks.

• Like 1

Thanks! Even after researching warnings of possible too much flow for the media caddy - I'm going with upgrading the return pump to a cobalt MJ900. I'll let you guys know how it works out :).

• Like 2
reefernanoman

Looks like i just joined the club! I couldn't help myself

On97noq.jpg

Welcome to the club! Ohhh, Prime and fusion 10G should look very nice! Waiting on your thread...
  • Like 1

I'm using an Eheim 600 Compact instead of the stock pump. It has a maximum flow of 160 gph. I have it set to run at a somewhat lower rate than it's maximum. I haven't measured the flow, but it is greater than the stock pump can provide.

However, there is a difference between the return/filter/circulation pump (which is what you are referring to) and a pump used to enhance the flow inside the tank. Although the return/filtration pump by itself may provide all the flow/circulation you want. The WP10 and MP10 referenced above are purely flow pumps and cannot be used in place of the stock 92 gph return/filter pump.

If your aquarium has few, or no SPS corals, upgrading the stock pump to an Eheim 600 compact or to an MJ600 will provide all the circulation your corals will need. But I would stay away from the Spinstream, especially if you upgrade the pump. In the first place, it's not necessary for good flow. You can easily adjust the outflow nozzle to get good flow. Second, when the Spinstream turns upwards, you are likely to have water splashing out of the tank - especially with the higher pump flow rate that the MJ600 or Eheim 600 Compact deliver.

I have quite a few SPS corals, and a few Gorgonians, so I use a Vortech MP10 QD to enhance the flow, even though I've upgraded the stock pump.

• Like 5