Cultivated Reef

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

Thanks da1001 :) Well I just cleaned the pump and tubing last Sunday but will try to see if 'knocking it' a few times helps with the bubbles. I am probably going to order a Sicce Syncra Silent 0.5 as I have had troubles with the stock pump restarting a few times anyways. The IM pump is soooo cheaply made :wacko: I may as well replace the tubing as well. UGH!

It's so sad because my water was previously super crystal clear, and now just looks dirty due to the micro bubbles. I even originally thought it was particulates so bought some 100 micron filter felt to help, but that doesn't do squat for bubbles :lol:

Maybe i'll play around with the water level in chamber 3 as well.

IM 10 Owners: What are your water levels in chamber 3 compared to chamber 2?

Yeah, my stock IM pump died in less than 2 weeks and all I was using it for was mixing my weekly saltwater change. <_< I wish I had one of those Sicce Syncra Silent .5's but I couldn't fathom spending like $61.99 or whatever they are so I I went with the Sicce Micraplus or whatever its called. It's not silent but its quiet enough that I can sleep with it on at night in my bedroom with no problems whatsoever and for $30 bucks less I am happy with it. :)

• Like 1

Yeah, my stock IM pump died in less than 2 weeks and all I was using it for was mixing my weekly saltwater change. <_< I wish I had one of those Sicce Syncra Silent .5's but I couldn't fathom spending like $61.99 or whatever they are so I I went with the Sicce Micraplus or whatever its called. It's not silent but its quiet enough that I can sleep with it on at night in my bedroom with no problems whatsoever and for $30 bucks less I am happy with it. :)

I really hope between the new pump and tubing this fixed my issue. I have to special order one of the Sicce pumps, but luckily it's not too bad for price (~$45) and NO ONE carries them in Canada, so annoying. If it stops the bubbles, than it's money well spent!

Quiet is definitely needed in my situation as well as it's in my bedroom too :P

• Like 1

I really hope between the new pump and tubing this fixed my issue. I have to special order one of the Sicce pumps, but luckily it's not too bad for price (~$45) and NO ONE carries them in Canada, so annoying. If it stops the bubbles, than it's money well spent!

Quiet is definitely needed in my situation as well as it's in my bedroom too :P

Sounds like a plan, when you do get it let me know how it sounds noise wise. And just remember mine started out really loud but 2 days or so and it "breaks in" and gets a lot quieter so if its louder than you expected at first (like mine was) don't think its broken lol

• Like 1

Hey guys, so I decided to investigate my micro bubble nightmare from the return pump and low and behold there was a huge crack in one of the pieces that connect the nozzle. Right now I removed the nozzle and cracked piece, so only the clear portion is showing. BUT: I am still getting bubbles in my tank! I don't know what else to do.

The water level in the 3rd chamber is about 7" from the bottom and 2.5" lower than the 2nd chamber. The Hydor ATO keeps things level always and it doesn't deviate more than 1/2" for the water level, so the pump is always fully submerged.

What do you guys think? Could it be the pump, or the tubing maybe? I'm thinking of replacing both, because i'm going crazy!

Here's a pic of the cracked piece:

2py535i.jpg

I have one, and running it on Lagoonal mode at the 4th power point.

this is a tricky situation. just from a standpoint of hydraulics, if there was a crack or hole in the return line or fittings it would most likely leak water instead of draw in air (it's under positive pressure from the flow created by the pump).

are you sure another chamber isn't responsible for air bubbles? i can't see a pump creating micro bubbles when it's fully submerged.

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan, when you do get it let me know how it sounds noise wise. And just remember mine started out really loud but 2 days or so and it "breaks in" and gets a lot quieter so if its louder than you expected at first (like mine was) don't think its broken lol

Okay, i'll try not to freak out :P

this is a tricky situation. just from a standpoint of hydraulics, if there was a crack or hole in the return line or fittings it would most likely leak water instead of draw in air (it's under positive pressure from the flow created by the pump).

are you sure another chamber isn't responsible for air bubbles? i can't see a pump creating micro bubbles when it's fully submerged.

It's a bit baffling. My thought was that the portion of the hose exposed to air (not submerged) may have a small tear or maybe the L shaped elbow fitting? I don't think it's the other chambers, but can't be 100% either. The strange thing is I was using the Eheim Compact 600 pump and didn't have this problem, but it could also be I flipped the tubing, and maybe if there was atear, it was submerged before, but now exposed to air? The Eheim 600 was just too loud, so I went back to the stock pump.

So many possibilities!

I guess by process of elimination, if replacing the pump and tubing doesn't solve this issue, i'll have to look at the other fittings and chambers more closely.

Okay, i'll try not to freak out :P

It's a bit baffling. My thought was that the portion of the hose exposed to air (not submerged) may have a small tear or maybe the L shaped elbow fitting? I don't think it's the other chambers, but can't be 100% either. The strange thing is I was using the Eheim Compact 600 pump and didn't have this problem, but it could also be I flipped the tubing, and maybe if there was atear, it was submerged before, but now exposed to air? The Eheim 600 was just too loud, so I went back to the stock pump.

So many possibilities!

I guess by process of elimination, if replacing the pump and tubing doesn't solve this issue, i'll have to look at the other fittings and chambers more closely.

even so, anything coming out of the pump is positive pressure (leak to atmosphere). i'd say just start looking everything over before parts are thrown at it. i'm a mechanic by trade and that's just how i break down issues, something is causing the system to draw in air. the only way i can see it being the pump is if it held a cavity of air from when it was first submerged, that should have been taken care of in the first 5 mins of running the pump. if the line or any fittings from the return side of the pump had a leak, it can only go to atmosphere (it's high pressure flowing to low pressure) so you'd be seeing a leak as well as a reduction of flow from the pump due to a leak acting like a pressure relief.

Have you tried raising the water level in chamber 3. Might be the waterfall effect and the pump drawing in micro bubbles. I run my water level a little above the seperator line, I run the ghost skimmer in chamber 2 and battled a micro bible issue front he skimmer that went away when I turned it around and opened the vent a bit more for more bubbles.

I have seen microbubbles when I've had the water too low in chamber 3. I try to keep mine set so the the water is 1/2" to 1" below the top of the divider between chamber 2 and chamber 3. I'm pretty sure that's what they say to shoot for in the manual, too.

• Like 1

I have seen microbubbles when I've had the water too low in chamber 3. I try to keep mine set so the the water is 1/2" to 1" below the top of the divider between chamber 2 and chamber 3. I'm pretty sure that's what they say to shoot for in the manual, too.

It may help for me to read that manual :P

Next water change, I think i'll increase the water level and see if that helps. My new pump will take a little longer to receive anyways, so if that helps, at least I can rule out the pump itself (although I still think it's cheap) :wacko: and who doesn't need extra 1/2' tubing anyways?!

• Like 2

Thanks da1001 :) Well I just cleaned the pump and tubing last Sunday but will try to see if 'knocking it' a few times helps with the bubbles. I am probably going to order a Sicce Syncra Silent 0.5 as I have had troubles with the stock pump restarting a few times anyways. The IM pump is soooo cheaply made :wacko: I may as well replace the tubing as well. UGH!

It's so sad because my water was previously super crystal clear, and now just looks dirty due to the micro bubbles. I even originally thought it was particulates so bought some 100 micron filter felt to help, but that doesn't do squat for bubbles :lol:

Maybe i'll play around with the water level in chamber 3 as well.

IM 10 Owners: What are your water levels in chamber 3 compared to chamber 2?

Is anyone already using the Sicce pump for the return pump in their IM 10? Based on the failures that some have had, I would like to purchase a backup or maybe a flat out replacement. Maybe something with a little more flow. The stock pump is pretty weak. Any suggestions on a good replacement?

Is anyone already using the Sicce pump for the return pump in their IM 10? Based on the failures that some have had, I would like to purchase a backup or maybe a flat out replacement. Maybe something with a little more flow. The stock pump is pretty weak. Any suggestions on a good replacement?

I know a lot of people here use Maxijet 600's or 900's for their return pump, I can't tell you how quiet they are though. Sicce Micraplus is nice too, although I wouldn't mind a bit more power on mine.

• Like 1

I know a lot of people here use Maxijet 600's or 900's for their return pump, I can't tell you how quiet they are though. Sicce Micraplus is nice too, although I wouldn't mind a bit more power on mine.

This might be a dumb question but are you referring to the Marineland power heads? They seem to be the only one going by "Maxi Jet" but there are several other companies that offer an MJ600. I was thinking about a Cobalt MJ600. They seem to have much better reviews.

This might be a dumb question but are you referring to the Marineland power heads? They seem to be the only one going by "Maxi Jet" but there are several other companies that offer an MJ600. I was thinking about a Cobalt MJ600. They seem to have much better reviews.

Well, I always seem to call them MaxiJets but you want the return pump style ones. The MaxiJets can be used as powerheads or return pumps depending on which parts you put on it so I just check the box and make sure it shows that it has the picture where its being used as a return pump.

Has anyone tried the Eheim Compact 600 pump?

I have two. I use one for pumping water to my display come water change time, and tried one out in the IM 10 but it was too loud for me. Good to have as a backup and it is a quality pump, but I wouldn't recommend it due to the noise (at least for an AIO)

• Like 1

I was looking at adding a fuge in the 3rd chamber and moving the pump kind of like this 20150220_183313.jpg?dl=0

I figured it might also help with the micro bubbles from the akimmer

Can't see the pic :(

Having a problem with the ghostskim, my bubbles dont go high enough. Is it normal to be that low during the break in period.

Heres a picture.

DSC_0314.jpg

reefernanoman

Can't see the pic :(

Having a problem with the ghostskim, my bubbles dont go high enough. Is it normal to be that low during the break in period.

Heres a picture.

DSC_0314.jpg

Correct. You have to wait between 1 and 2 weeks for foam production.
  • Like 1

Break in is normal.. I did notice cleaning the cup is a pain. Ideal water level should be like 1" below the top of the white base, and have the air valve more open than closed. When I broke it in I left it off during the day and on at night until it began creating foam

• Like 1

I have the same cracked outlet piece others here have posted. Love this tank, but the accessories seem to have a cheap feel to them (outlet, pump, media basket).

Tell me about it. I emailed IM yesterday to see about getting a replacement. Hopefully not too much trouble since i'm in Canada. I'll see what they say and let you guys know.

Hmmm yours is clear?!