Coral Vue Hydros

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

Those pics are really nice. I still think your acans have nice color. Good job!

Thanks, Dawn! I guess the perfectionist in my just doesn't like them not being as colorful as they were when they first went into the tank :)

wow!

I think you saw me post on reefernanoman's page, but now that I have one of these fusions I seriously do not understand how your tank is not bigger :lol: It is AMAZING how you've scaped this one - from the coral selections to placement.

All of my acans (except the green ones) seem to turn orange. not red, orange :lol: I still love them, but I can't seem to keep the colors. But I'm really good at turning them bright orange.

Thanks! :blush:

I have heard that too much white/green light leads to orange acans. But honestly in all the stuff I can find on the net, most of it is anecdotal and I've found very little that relates acan coloring to nutrients levels. I think it's funny that we seem to know six different ways to get acros to color up, but getting the "easy" acans to color seems to be hit or miss.

Turning orange typically means a lack of cyan and red light.

That's what I've heard too. I had this happen a really long time ago with one of my first acans, and I remember it was under a light without enough blues and reds. The PAR was very low, which would seem to support the idea that spectrum is more important than intensity.

Love those pictures of Mr. Fitz :wub:.

Thanks, Gena! Fortunately he seems to be just fine, so whatever took Squidward out doesn't seem to be anything that affected the other fish.

OH NO!!!! He looked so healthy and perfect. I'm sad for you. Love those guys.

Thanks, Annette! Between this and the dinos in the other two tanks, it's been a discouraging week. It really helps to hear from other reefers even when there's nothing that can be done about the problem. :flower:

I just found the tail spot blenny wrapped around the intake grill of the MP10. There was nothing visibly wrong with him and he looked fine yesterday. I guess these things just happen sometimes. RIP Squidward :(

That sucks, I moved my MP-10 this weekend and the flow change pushed my clown outta his little back corner hiding spot, he's been playing Russian roulette with the power head for the last two days which has me nervous. It doesn't run that high but i'm sure close enough and he could stick cause he's still a little guy. Squidward was one cool little fish.

• Like 1

Since he tempted fate so often...

giphy.gif

RIP little dude :(

Thanks, Ben! You always have the best memes, this really cheered me up :lol:

That sucks, I moved my MP-10 this weekend and the flow change pushed my clown outta his little back corner hiding spot, he's been playing Russian roulette with the power head for the last two days which has me nervous. It doesn't run that high but i'm sure close enough and he could stick cause he's still a little guy. Squidward was one cool little fish.

Yeah, it's always a little scary when they want to play chicken with power tools :(

I don't think the MP10 actually caused him to die, I think he was probably weakened for some reason and floated into it. There wasn't any sign of physical damage. I have some foam covers for the MP10, but they slow down the flow and turn into a nitrate factory if you don't clean them every two or three days. I don't think they would have made any difference anyway.

In honor of Squidward, I'm posting a few of his better pictures :)

26667749432_d1733faa96_b.jpgFitzgerald and Squidward by TeenyReef, on Flickr

26761150125_88f30ffa48_b.jpgSassy Squidward by TeenyReef, on Flickr

26620780761_0796731895_b.jpgSquidward by TeenyReef, on Flickr

23832162981_ce1132c9db_b.jpgSquidward by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 10

Thanks, Ben! You always have the best memes, this really cheered me up :lol:Yeah, it's always a little scary when they want to play chicken with power tools :( I don't think the MP10 actually caused him to die, I think he was probably weakened for some reason and floated into it. There wasn't any sign of physical damage. I have some foam covers for the MP10, but they slow down the flow and turn into a nitrate factory if you don't clean them every two or three days. I don't think they would have made any difference anyway. In honor of Squidward, I'm posting a few of his better pictures :)26667749432_d1733faa96_b.jpgFitzgerald and Squidward by TeenyReef, on Flickr 26761150125_88f30ffa48_b.jpgSassy Squidward by TeenyReef, on Flickr 26620780761_0796731895_b.jpgSquidward by TeenyReef, on Flickr 23832162981_ce1132c9db_b.jpgSquidward by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Great pics. One of my favorites! I had mine for quite awhile before I did tank maintenance one day. Had power off, cleaned and wc......turned power back on.....and found out that poor Hotdog had hunkered down inside the MP10

:^ (

• Like 2

Great pics. One of my favorites! I had mine for quite awhile before I did tank maintenance one day. Had power off, cleaned and wc......turned power back on.....and found out that poor Hotdog had hunkered down inside the MP10

:^ (

Thanks, Jack. Squidward liked to hang out in the MP10 when it was off, too. I was always paranoid about that because I almost always forgot to check for him before turning it back on :o

• Like 2

Damn, that's too bad. I've been expecting mine to die for almost 2 years now since everyone seems to have problems with them. Perhaps the fact he's lived in the same hole for 2 years? I know when I had to cut my slimer down I immediately lost a Chromis and I suspected it was due to lack of a sleeping place since they all used to sleep in the slimer.

Silly fish anyway.

Hopefully you can find another one.

• Like 1
reefernanoman

Thanks, Ben! You always have the best memes, this really cheered me up :lol:

Yeah, it's always a little scary when they want to play chicken with power tools :(

I don't think the MP10 actually caused him to die, I think he was probably weakened for some reason and floated into it. There wasn't any sign of physical damage. I have some foam covers for the MP10, but they slow down the flow and turn into a nitrate factory if you don't clean them every two or three days. I don't think they would have made any difference anyway.

In honor of Squidward, I'm posting a few of his better pictures :)

26667749432_d1733faa96_b.jpgFitzgerald and Squidward by TeenyReef, on Flickr

26761150125_88f30ffa48_b.jpgSassy Squidward by TeenyReef, on Flickr

26620780761_0796731895_b.jpgSquidward by TeenyReef, on Flickr

23832162981_ce1132c9db_b.jpgSquidward by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Sorry to hear about your fishie! I've never owned one of those (and can't either because of killer clowns and space), but they look like a very cool fish.

• Like 1

Awwwww...poor Squiddy :(. If you get a firefish as a replacement we'd have the same fish :flower:. Firefish don't mess with mp10s either! I had a TSB and I was constantly worried about him since he loved going in the mp10 when it was off!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your TSB. You experienced exactly what I did... Mine was perfectly fine when I left for work, but when I got home, dead against the MP10. I haven't seen another come in to my LFS so I haven't gotten another. He was by far my favorite fish I've found in this hobby yet.

• Like 1

Sorry about your fish. I had a TSB awhile back and he was fine for months and then up and died. I now have a pictus blenny and so far he is doing really well but I need to feed him alllllll the time.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Sorry to hear about the TSB. The whole Ecsenius family of Blennies has so much personality that it's hard to loose one.

• Like 2

Thanks to all of you your condolences and well wishes! It means a lot to know how much Squidward was appreciated. :flower:

• Like 4

I'm trying an experiment with my lighting - I've been running whites and blues at about the same level because that gives me that 14K halide look that I like, but I'd like to see what happens to the colors of the corals, especially the acans, with a higher ratio of blues to whites. The only problem is that I already have both blues and whites at almost 100%, so the only way to change the ratio is to significantly reduce the intensity of the whites, which means less PAR overall for the corals.

On the other hand, I think that PAR in the blue spectrum is much more important than PAR in the white spectrum, so who knows what will happen? Just for now, I've reduced the white/lime channel to about 35%. I'll give it a month or so to see how it turns out :)

Nano sapiens

For the last couple months I did something similar with my 'white' channel. I found that too much white channel brightness started to wash out coral fluorescence a bit, but lowering the channel too much tended to make the tank look a bit dark. Increasing my 'Red' and 'Lime' channels to compensate worked nicely, but then caused algae growth to increase...so dropped those back down again. Increasing my 'blue' (not 'royal blue') channel helped brighten things back up again.

Tuning LEDs for that 'perfect' balance of coral color/health and tank visual appeal is a bit of a 'black art' :ninja:

• Like 3
Elizabeth94

Interesting idea on the lighting Teeny. I might just try that out myself. Like you, my whites are just about the same as blue light, maybe a little higher actually. I like the "whiter" look, but I may try making the blues more apparent. Your acans are really pretty colors. One of mine has been all orange, but is now starting to get green and ice blue on its rim. I moved it into higher lighting a few weeks about.. Hmm.

• Like 2