Cultivated Reef

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

Nooooooooooooo. I'm sorry. He was so cute. However, I must do this:

meme3.jpg

As I fellow band geek, I approve this message :)

Yea man....that sucks...any idea what happened?

No idea, really, he was doing fine right up until the day he went. The only thing was that I'd noticed he was coming out from his hiding places a lot more often and mixing it up with the clowns. But there wasn't any sign of physical damage on him so I don't think that's what it was.

Everyone is having sads with their tanks. I feel SO sad today... :tears: - that I have learned the emote :(

Yeah, it's been going on all over, it seems. Harry just lost his beautiful wrasse tonight when it jumped out :(

Sorry about Squidward. :(

Thanks - he was a great fish :(

For the last couple months I did something similar with my 'white' channel. I found that too much white channel brightness started to wash out coral fluorescence a bit, but lowering the channel too much tended to make the tank look a bit dark. Increasing my 'Red' and 'Lime' channels to compensate worked nicely, but then caused algae growth to increase...so dropped those back down again. Increasing my 'blue' (not 'royal blue') channel helped brighten things back up again.

Tuning LEDs for that 'perfect' balance of coral color/health and tank visual appeal is a bit of a 'black art' :ninja:

That's good feedback, Nano! I have four channel control on my Mini Tide, so the blues and royal blues are tied together, with the cyan and violet separate. It's definitely a black art, though!

Interesting idea on the lighting Teeny. I might just try that out myself. Like you, my whites are just about the same as blue light, maybe a little higher actually. I like the "whiter" look, but I may try making the blues more apparent. Your acans are really pretty colors. One of mine has been all orange, but is now starting to get green and ice blue on its rim. I moved it into higher lighting a few weeks about.. Hmm.

Lighting and acans is something I've been really interested in lately. While the conventional wisdom seems to be to keep them under lower lighting to get better colors, "lower" is a relative term. I've found very few posts from people that have both colorful acan as well as PAR readings to go with them.

As Ben pointed out, spectrum may have more to do with it. So I'm hoping by reducing the whites and limes, I'll see more colors.

• Like 2
dferrari13

Question....do you think the power head got him? I have a hydor wavemaker and it cycles on and off...one day while it was in the off cycle I noticed my TSB inside the powerhead...I got nervous that he was going to get killed once the power head turned on again...so i scared him out and left the powerhead running 24/7 ever since so he cant go inside anymore...now I can't use the wave maker anymore for fear that he might go inside again once it goes to the off cycle...

• Like 1

Question....do you think the power head got him? I have a hydor wavemaker and it cycles on and off...one day while it was in the off cycle I noticed my TSB inside the powerhead...I got nervous that he was going to get killed once the power head turned on again...so i scared him out and left the powerhead running 24/7 ever since so he cant go inside anymore...now I can't use the wave maker anymore for fear that he might go inside again once it goes to the off cycle...

Squidward liked to go in the MP10 when it was turned off, but I kept mine on 24/7.

How are your acans doing on the color Teeny? I am interested to in the lighting as I think mine are under to bright of light. I need to tone down the whites a little and see what happens.

RIP Sebastian

As I fellow band geek, I approve this message :)

No idea, really, he was doing fine right up until the day he went. The only thing was that I'd noticed he was coming out from his hiding places a lot more often and mixing it up with the clowns. But there wasn't any sign of physical damage on him so I don't think that's what it was.

Yeah, it's been going on all over, it seems. Harry just lost his beautiful wrasse tonight when it jumped out :(

Thanks - he was a great fish :(

That's good feedback, Nano! I have four channel control on my Mini Tide, so the blues and royal blues are tied together, with the cyan and violet separate. It's definitely a black art, though!

Lighting and acans is something I've been really interested in lately. While the conventional wisdom seems to be to keep them under lower lighting to get better colors, "lower" is a relative term. I've found very few posts from people that have both colorful acan as well as PAR readings to go with them.

As Ben pointed out, spectrum may have more to do with it. So I'm hoping by reducing the whites and limes, I'll see more colors.

What did you play? Just curious.

How are your acans doing on the color Teeny? I am interested to in the lighting as I think mine are under to bright of light. I need to tone down the whites a little and see what happens.

They morphed to mostly red, and most of the remaining colors have faded some. They still look ok from overhead but they're not nearly as colorful as when I first got them. Hopefully a couple weeks under more blue light will help.

What did you play? Just curious.

I played flute in marching band, a verrrry long time ago, and I had several friends that did drum corps. Now my kids play, flute and percussion so far, and I help my wife with the band parents association (she's the president).

The band my kids play in is way better than mine ever was, they win a lot of competitions :)

And I still play flute in church so it's been a nice lifetime avocation!

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

They morphed to mostly red, and most of the remaining colors have faded some. They still look ok from overhead but they're not nearly as colorful as when I first got them. Hopefully a couple weeks under more blue light will help.

I played flute in marching band, a verrrry long time ago, and I had several friends that did drum corps. Now my kids play, flute and percussion so far, and I help my wife with the band parents association (she's the president).

The band my kids play in is way better than mine ever was, they win a lot of competitions :)

Cool! My band competes, too! What corps did your friends join? I have a friend who is with the Blue Stars this year. Also, http://pimba.org/pimba/site/main/scores2.asp?y=2015that link has our scores from last year. Forty percent of our band was new, s hopefully we'll do better this year!

• Like 2

Well, either things finally started coloring up after my long slow process of increasing the intensity, or the last three days of high blues and low whites has had an immediate effect. Either way, I'm happy. No real changes to the acans yet, but the zoas and palys have started showing color that I haven't seen in a long time.

26973408021_fcda90efdd_b.jpgZs and Ps by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And this acro has been turd brown almost from the day I got it from Zia. At best, I'd get little hints of green. And then it STN'd when all the acros were dying, between the mysterious water problem and the wandering green RFA. I cut off the top of it to try to save it and gave the rest of it up for dead. Somehow, the encrusted part survived, grew back, and is starting to try to grow up again. And this week if started to to color up for reals! omgomgomg

26438088683_6c9a52ec59_b.jpgAcro Survivor by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 8

Oooh lala

I've got 3 lights (2 strips and the Razor) on my 40 so I'm not sure what the white balance is but the 3 acros in there look like turds. :)

• Like 1

Oooh lala

I've got 3 lights (2 strips and the Razor) on my 40 so I'm not sure what the white balance is but the 3 acros in there look like turds. :)

Of course, it may have nothing to do with the lighting. It could be all about the lower nitrates and PO4 I've got going on now.

Or it could be aliens. That's the great thing about this hobby, you can't ever change just one thing at a time :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Very cool. One of my sons played flute. Then he took up bass guitar but he doesn't play anything at the moment. He and his wife are busy with family things right now.

I didn't know how to play any instruments until I was in my mid 30s and then I took piano lessons for 4 years. I played for Jr. church for years which was a lot of fun. Like you said, a nice lifetime avocation!

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

Well, either things finally started coloring up after my long slow process of increasing the intensity, or the last three days of high blues and low whites has had an immediate effect. Either way, I'm happy. No real changes to the acans yet, but the zoas and palys have started showing color that I haven't seen in a long time.

26973408021_fcda90efdd_b.jpgZs and Ps by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And this acro has been turd brown almost from the day I got it from Zia. At best, I'd get little hints of green. And then it STN'd when all the acros were dying, between the mysterious water problem and the wandering green RFA. I cut off the top of it to try to save it and gave the rest of it up for dead. Somehow, the encrusted part survived, grew back, and is starting to try to grow up again. And this week if started to to color up for reals! omgomgomg

26438088683_6c9a52ec59_b.jpgAcro Survivor by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Those rics in the first pic are beautiful! Where did you get them?

• Like 1

Well, so far the frag tank is dino-free fingerscrossed

For whatever reason, zoas seem to do better in this tank than in either of the two display tanks...sigh.

Top down shot:

26787225240_d25bf9c79d_b.jpg2016--05-15 Evolve 4 Frag Tank Top Down by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Sorry about Squidward! Your tank is looking back in shape!

Thanks!

Looks great, t!!!!!!

Thanks, Gena! Hopefully things will continue to improve :)

Those rics in the first pic are beautiful! Where did you get them?

Thanks! I got them from Zia when he had his end of the world sale. I have no idea what they are :rolleyes:

Very cool. One of my sons played flute. Then he took up bass guitar but he doesn't play anything at the moment. He and his wife are busy with family things right now.
I didn't know how to play any instruments until I was in my mid 30s and then I took piano lessons for 4 years. I played for Jr. church for years which was a lot of fun. Like you said, a nice lifetime avocation!

That's pretty cool to take up piano later in life! I think being able to play an instrument is something we appreciate a lot more as adults :)

I love how that coral has purple, blue and green in it all at once.

Me too :D

Sorry, Teeny. Squidward was awesome. I always loved those pictures of that guy's little face.

I miss his little face too :(

I will probably get another fish eventually but I don't know if I want another TSB, or if I should try something different. Since this tank's not very big, I can't add more than one more fish, and it needs to be a small one.

• Like 2

Just for the purpose of comparing with any future color gain, here's what the acans look like tonight. To my eye, the colors don't look quite as vivid in real life, but I couldn't really get the picture to look completely accurate as it was. I think it has to do with lowering the exposure to avoid the sand bed blowing out the highlights - it makes the contrast a little too high on the acans.

Either way I'm pretty happy with how they look. Not as colorful as when I first got them, but they don't seem to be losing any more color at this point.

27029521356_78872b566f_b.jpgAcan Garden by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 7

I think they look wonderful and I've never seen yellow acan- that's so lemonady or Mountain Dewey!

Do you mean the one in the upper left? Oops, that's not an acan, it's a photobombing favia :D

• Like 1
FlowerMama

Do you mean the one in the upper left? Oops, that's not an acan, it's a photobombing favia :D

It did a great job at mimicry!

• Like 1

It did a great job at mimicry!

I agree! It's another one of the corals I'm hoping will morph colors back to the original under more blue lighting. I'm hopeful because it's already starting to get a little blue on the bottom side where's it more shaded. Here's what it's supposed to look like:

26968773972_99fd89dd47.jpgAngel Eye Favia by TeenyReef, on Flickr

What are you using to light the frag tank?

It's an AI Hydra 26 that I won in a contest on Aquaticlog :)

Here's the original color of the rainbow acans (in the center of the acan garden picture above). This is the ASD picture, but that's pretty much what it looked like when it came in the mail.

26459301673_cdfa81690e_b.jpgUltimateLord-RetailPrice100SALEPRICE50_zpsnpdj8n6o by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 2