Top Shelf Aquatics

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

When I moved mine I did just about that but I didn't put a board under. With the board everything should go just fine:)

• Like 1

Success! The tank is in its new place with everything running. Nothing died so far, and with the exception of a few narrowly averted disasters, it went smoothly. Pictures later tonight. :)

• Like 9

Glad everything went well! It is never fun moving a tank. I think I've moved my 12 gallon about 3 times now. It always stresses me out.

• Like 1

Here's my moving story! (see what I did there :D)

First, I pulled out everything but the circulation pump so that I could get the tank moved as quickly as possible after draining the water. Everything's ready to drain and then move in this picture. Note the 3/4" hardwood plywood board leaning on the bucket, which I used to carry the tank so that none of the edges, corners, or panels got too stressed when I lifted it.

27296779621_fa51bc604c_b.jpg20160530_191747.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Draining the water. I put the frags in the racks in the bucket with the drained water so they wouldn't fall off the side glass during the move.

27367597395_e75dd9d940_b.jpg20160530_192316.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

All done! Note the clowns wondering what the what is going on :lol:

27367601205_8f19e6d581_b.jpg20160530_192504.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Note to self: next time you drain a lot of water from the tank, you might want to keep an eye on how full the bucket is getting! Disaster narrowly averted because somebody Up There must love me :rolleyes:

I mean seriously, how does this happen by blind luck???

26760922143_d10c633419_b.jpg20160530_192520.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Right after the move. Clownfish still mildly confused.

27367607975_68fa8f643a_b.jpg20160530_192812.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I put enough water back in to cover the corals right away. Another disaster was narrowly averted when I remembered that I should move the tank into the final position and put the rest of the equipment in BEFORE I fill it up all the way B)

27367611265_a0a4345754_b.jpg20160530_194046.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Finally, I decided to switch the lights around between this tank and the frag tank. The frag tank had the AI Hydra 26, and this tank had the Nanobox Mini. Since the Hydra 26 is a bigger light, I put it over the bigger tank.

Here's IM10 all set up and running with the new light:

26760928603_5faedc2f70_b.jpg20160531-untitled-005-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And here's the frag tank with the Nanobox Mini. It looks really good now :wub:

27367614525_d3b1eb2946_b.jpg20160530_212211.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 13

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave.

Good thing for surface tension with that bucket! Glad to see the move looks to be a success.

• Like 4

YEAH for successful move! Just in time for todays delivery to! Im excited for your upgrade and can't wait to see pictures. Ill be following closely!

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

Shoot! Now I wont be able to concentrate for the rest of the day. Oh well, nothing left to do in school, anyways.

Nick

• Like 1

Congrats on the move. Im sure everything will settle in well. So is that the light you won over the 10 or is that a AI Nano ? Frag tank is looking awesome as well !!!

• Like 1

Here's my moving story! (see what I did there :D)

I see what you did and I like it.

And wow, that is lucky. It looks like the water is contained by the meniscus. Yay surface tension! That's how I like my cocktail glass to be filled, but not my saltwater buckets.

• Like 5

Do you find both lights perform well?

And I hope you didn't let that bucket beat you and you carried it that full to the new location filled to the brim!!

• Like 2
FlowerMama

Ha! I've done the same w/ my bucket. Not watched and walked into the kitchen and WHOA!. Turn off ASAP!!

Nice to breathe a sigh of relief when you know every went well with moving.

• Like 2

Everything is doing well after the move. The acros I was worried about are either declining or staying the same - I'm still not sure if the blueberry mille will make it or not, it has continued to lose tissue. But everything else is fine!

Here's the view from where I sit at the desk now :)

27406870505_8635875584_b.jpg2016-06-01 IM10 FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 6
mystersyster

Note to self: next time you drain a lot of water from the tank, you might want to keep an eye on how full the bucket is getting! Disaster narrowly averted because somebody Up There must love me :rolleyes:

I mean seriously, how does this happen by blind luck???

I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me with my RO/DI running. Last time I wasn't so lucky and remembered it was still running. Ran into my kitchen as fast as I could to turn it off (not like it mattered at that point). As soon as I hit the floor I fell on my ass and slid across the kitchen into the cabinets. Luckily it only was on the floor still, and not in my downstairs neighbors kitchen.

• Like 3

I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me with my RO/DI running. Last time I wasn't so lucky and remembered it was still running. Ran into my kitchen as fast as I could to turn it off (not like it mattered at that point). As soon as I hit the floor I fell on my ass and slid across the kitchen into the cabinets. Luckily it only was on the floor still, and not in my downstairs neighbors kitchen.

Oh man, I hope you don't mind that I'm laughing at this! I've flooded my garage so many times the same way. Finally I got a big trash can and a float valve, and it shuts off automatically. :)

• Like 1

Glad I am not the only one with a short attention span.... I flood my buckets a lot.... I fill them in the bathtub now.

• Like 3

Oh man, I hope you don't mind that I'm laughing at this! I've flooded my garage so many times the same way. Finally I got a big trash can and a float valve, and it shuts off automatically. :)

My wife once told me I would flood the basement with all the water and equipment going on. About 10 days later she plugged the laundry tub in preparation to wash the dog, forgot, and flooded the basement. Justice! I have never flooded the basement, but I've gotten REALLY close.

I have one of those digital kitchen timers and always set it before starting to fill up my cans of water. So far so good. I hate floats but someday I should probably use them.

Tank looks great, I wish I could help with the acros. My teeny tiny little nub of UC Rainbow milli is showing color after 2 years. Some millis seem to love life and others seem almost impossible. I bet there are a different variety as yet unidentified.

• Like 4
reefernanoman

Everything is doing well after the move. The acros I was worried about are either declining or staying the same - I'm still not sure if the blueberry mille will make it or not, it has continued to lose tissue. But everything else is fine!

Here's the view from where I sit at the desk now :)

27406870505_8635875584_b.jpg2016-06-01 IM10 FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Everything sure does look good! Congrats on the move!

• Like 1

Everything sure does look good! Congrats on the move!

Thanks! I really like how it turned out on the desk, and I'm now paying a lot more attention to it since it's right in my face all the time. :)

My wife once told me I would flood the basement with all the water and equipment going on. About 10 days later she plugged the laundry tub in preparation to wash the dog, forgot, and flooded the basement. Justice! I have never flooded the basement, but I've gotten REALLY close.

I have one of those digital kitchen timers and always set it before starting to fill up my cans of water. So far so good. I hate floats but someday I should probably use them.

Tank looks great, I wish I could help with the acros. My teeny tiny little nub of UC Rainbow milli is showing color after 2 years. Some millis seem to love life and others seem almost impossible. I bet there are a different variety as yet unidentified.

:lol: You've got a clean record! I used to use a timer, but when it went off, I'd be busy, and mean to get it in just a minute. Thirty minutes later, disaster. Getting a float valve was the best thing I've ever done. :D

I agree, millis are weird. This one was doing fine in the 4g tank. Other acros were doing great in the 10g tank. When I moved it to the 10g tank, it went downhill. But in this case, I think it would have gone bad in the 4g too, it was clearly from the rotting tissue buried under the superglue. There are still chunks of flesh on the colony tonight, and the recession is very slow, but it just doesn't seem to be headed in the right direction.

I choose to look on the bright side, though. I'm certainly going to get more corals from ASD for the 40g tank, and when I do, I'l order another blueberry milli :)

• Like 2