SaltCritters.com

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

I still see all the same colors in the acan now that I see in the ASD photo...but the blue from your lights is affecting the color. I mean I can still see the green in parts. I don't think you lost much color and it's more just your lighting messing with how it looks. Your green-banded goby is looking pretty blue and I know it's the lights doing that :lol:.

At any rate...the garden is looking gorgeous :wub:.

• Like 2

I still see all the same colors in the acan now that I see in the ASD photo...but the blue from your lights is affecting the color. I mean I can still see the green in parts. I don't think you lost much color and it's more just your lighting messing with how it looks. Your green-banded goby is looking pretty blue and I know it's the lights doing that :lol:.

At any rate...the garden is looking gorgeous :wub:.

Thanks, Gena, I agree the light does affect the way the colors but this is one of those times where the camera doesn't really show what it looks like. It really has lost some color :)

I'm hoping to post some pics with improved color soon!

• Like 3

It was a long night tonight but the dead 4g tank is nice and squeaky clean now!

I also broke off the zoa frags from the rest of the rocks, unfortunately none of the acans or other softies made it. The only survivors are the zoas and the pipe organ coral.

All the rocks are soaking in bleach so that I can start to re-cure them for the next tank.

The next step is to set the tank back up as a frag tank. Then move the IM10 in place of this tank on the desk.

Then I have research to do on the tank upgrade. I'd love to do something like the Red Sea Reefer 170 but I can't use the stand where the tank is going and it's not available without the stand. $999 is really spendy for a 30+g tank and skimmer without much else.

I'm pretty much settled on the IM Fusion 40 because it fits so well in the 24x21 space I've got. Conventional cube tanks won't fit because a 24x24 won't fit and a smaller cube would be a lot smaller than the 40g tank.

The only other option would be a custom size tank drilled with a sump. That's a tempting option but the IM 40 would be really easy to buy and setup.

• Like 5

Those Red Sea reefers are really nice but yeah I had a hard time wanting to spend that as well. Luckily when I bought my cadlights I got it local and i knew the shop owner so he called and asked them if he could sell me the tank without the stand as I didn't need/want the stand so that took a couple hundred off the price tag. Can't wait to see what you end up going with!

• Like 2

Just for the purpose of comparing with any future color gain, here's what the acans look like tonight. To my eye, the colors don't look quite as vivid in real life, but I couldn't really get the picture to look completely accurate as it was. I think it has to do with lowering the exposure to avoid the sand bed blowing out the highlights - it makes the contrast a little too high on the acans.

Either way I'm pretty happy with how they look. Not as colorful as when I first got them, but they don't seem to be losing any more color at this point.

27029521356_78872b566f_b.jpgAcan Garden by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Those things look sweet! Mine have lost some color and I also lost a frag from ASD.............

• Like 3

Awesome Acans,so color. I got a nice rainbow that has a lot of potential today. But i agree,a upgrade is over due !!!!

• Like 1

Hey Teeny! I know the answer to this question is buried somewhere in the earlier pages of this thread, but what are your light levels for this tank? What light levels would you recommend for a tank that's pretty much just some rics and a few zoas? I have a nanobox w/ a storm controller, so I think our lights are pretty similar if not identical.

Thanks!

• Like 1
Polarcollision

I'd love to get the DL on your lighting too. All my pretty rainbow acans turned orange. Figured that was just the way things went with LEDs, but YOU are proving that wrong.

Corals look amazing. super colorful. I want them all.

Sorry to hear about your TSB. It's keeping mine company now. Did you notice it getting pudgy by any chance? Had mine for close to 3 years with no idea how old they are when we get them at the store. Sadly 5 years is common lifespan.

• Like 1

Awesome Acans,so color. I got a nice rainbow that has a lot of potential today. But i agree,a upgrade is over due !!!!

Hey Teeny! I know the answer to this question is buried somewhere in the earlier pages of this thread, but what are your light levels for this tank? What light levels would you recommend for a tank that's pretty much just some rics and a few zoas? I have a nanobox w/ a storm controller, so I think our lights are pretty similar if not identical.

Thanks!

I'd love to get the DL on your lighting too. All my pretty rainbow acans turned orange. Figured that was just the way things went with LEDs, but YOU are proving that wrong.

Corals look amazing. super colorful. I want them all.

Sorry to hear about your TSB. It's keeping mine company now. Did you notice it getting pudgy by any chance? Had mine for close to 3 years with no idea how old they are when we get them at the store. Sadly 5 years is common lifespan.

Until recently, I was running the whites/limes at 90% and everything else at 100%. But I too was seeing indications that the acans were going orange, so I've reduced the whites/limes to about 35%, just to see what happens with the colors.

Squidward didn't seem too plump or skinny towards the end - I really couldn't see anything wrong with him, and he was acting normally the whole time. I had him for about a year, but as you said, there's no telling how old he was when he was caught.

• Like 3

Running higher blues and a little dirtier water i can vouche for acans to get more color on those start to come out big time. Im running 2x blue plus and a panorama all blue and everything looks amazing.

Too much light will turn them orange,i had that problem when i ran all leds which made me mad when i had $50 rainbows turn orange lol.

• Like 2

Running higher blues and a little dirtier water i can vouche for acans to get more color on those start to come out big time. Im running 2x blue plus and a panorama all blue and everything looks amazing.

Too much light will turn them orange,i had that problem when i ran all leds which made me mad when i had $50 rainbows turn orange lol.

Yeah, that's what I've been hearing. It seems it's not so much about having too much PAR, it's about too much white.

I've always had dirty water but my rainbows have still traditionally turned red and orange. So that would seem to point towards too much white being the problem, at least in my tanks.

Now I have much cleaner water, and I've shifted towards a lot more blue. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

• Like 1

Its funny because my zoas reach for light when i was running my retro but my acans got better color. Its trying to find that happy medium with lighting,especially with leds.

As for my water,i assume its dirrrrrrty with all the algae growing but everything looks so good right now.

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

Yep, my acans tend to turn orange as well, my whites on my Prime are at 75% now peak hours. I like the white look myself, but maybe I will lower the whites and see what higher blues will do.

• Like 1
reefernanoman

It was a long night tonight but the dead 4g tank is nice and squeaky clean now!

I also broke off the zoa frags from the rest of the rocks, unfortunately none of the acans or other softies made it. The only survivors are the zoas and the pipe organ coral.

All the rocks are soaking in bleach so that I can start to re-cure them for the next tank.

The next step is to set the tank back up as a frag tank. Then move the IM10 in place of this tank on the desk.

Then I have research to do on the tank upgrade. I'd love to do something like the Red Sea Reefer 170 but I can't use the stand where the tank is going and it's not available without the stand. $999 is really spendy for a 30+g tank and skimmer without much else.

I'm pretty much settled on the IM Fusion 40 because it fits so well in the 24x21 space I've got. Conventional cube tanks won't fit because a 24x24 won't fit and a smaller cube would be a lot smaller than the 40g tank.

The only other option would be a custom size tank drilled with a sump. That's a tempting option but the IM 40 would be really easy to buy and setup.

Yeah! The Fusion 40G would be perfect! Good luck with the new tank.

I was looking between the price difference between the Red Sea and the Fusion 40G, and I think that the Fusion is the way to go personally.

• Like 1

Its funny because my zoas reach for light when i was running my retro but my acans got better color. Its trying to find that happy medium with lighting,especially with leds.

As for my water,i assume its dirrrrrrty with all the algae growing but everything looks so good right now.

I have the same problem. Some of my zoas stretch even with relatively high light. Weirdos.

I'll like with the algae if everything looks good :)

Yep, my acans tend to turn orange as well, my whites on my Prime are at 75% now peak hours. I like the white look myself, but maybe I will lower the whites and see what higher blues will do.

Good luck! You can always turn up the whites for pictures :D

Yeah! The Fusion 40G would be perfect! Good luck with the new tank.

I was looking between the price difference between the Red Sea and the Fusion 40G, and I think that the Fusion is the way to go personally.

Yeah, the Fusion and the Red Sea are really not very comparable, since you get a sump and a cabinet along with all the plumbing with the Red Sea. But for me I think the AIO approach is easier and cheaper for a smaller tank like a 40g.

Time for an update on the frags. Most are still doing very well. I've had some minor STN on a few of them, but right now there's only one that looks like it's not going to make it. The colors are getting better every day, even with the minor upset of having all the dying rocks and frags from the 4g dumped in the tank.

I really need to glue these up, but now that I'm planning for the 40g tank, I may consider some scape changes in this tank, so I'm holding off of doing anything permanent. I may just glue the frag disks to the rocks, even though I hate the look :rolleyes:

The blueberry mille has a lighter blue color now, but still very pretty :)

26580550984_5f2e5b7324_b.jpg20160520-untitled-024-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The "Frog in a Blender" got completely brown when things weren't going well, but I'm really happy with the colors I'm seeing now!

26580556174_a4597876c6_b.jpg20160520-untitled-028-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

This one got bleached on top and died off, but it hasn't receded any further in about a week, and the color is still improving. So I'm hopeful that it will recover. Sorry for the ugliness up top...

26580561614_30069e4008_b.jpg20160520-untitled-032-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

This is the OG Elkhorn Stag. It was light brown when I got it, and turned pale green later on. Just in the last couple weeks it's really started to color up.

26911861150_aa21284958_b.jpg20160520-untitled-031-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

It's hard to tell in this picture, but this one is STN'ing from the bottom up. Just in the day since I took this picture, it's gotten worse, and I don't think it's going to make it.

27117826411_d0156a44aa_b.jpg20160520-untitled-030-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The rest of these are from the ASD sale, and don't have names. But I like them anyway B)

26580553324_6fdc2ba482_b.jpg20160520-untitled-025-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

27091095682_a24f05bc08_b.jpg20160520-untitled-027-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

27186609645_3ccb1dd273_b.jpg20160520-untitled-036-Edit-2.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

26580563994_b77d33236f_b.jpg20160520-untitled-036-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

27186602365_bffc3d35b9_b.jpg20160520-untitled-029-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I have no idea what this last one is, but I love the colors. It's cotton candy pink on top, with hints of green and blue at the bottom.

26580562904_a737fc7e16_b.jpg20160520-untitled-033-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 8
reefernanoman

Yeah, the Fusion and the Red Sea are really not very comparable, since you get a sump and a cabinet along with all the plumbing with the Red Sea. But for me I think the AIO approach is easier and cheaper for a smaller tank like a 40g.

I prefer the simplicity of the AIO 40G.

• Like 1

I prefer the simplicity of the AIO 40G.

Yeah, I'm really being pulled that way. The only thing I'm struggling with is getting adequate lighting and skimming for a 40g tank without a sump. I'd like to have more than enough lighting and more than enough skimming, and that means lighting that's strong enough for a much bigger tank, and skimmers that won't fit in the back chamber.

Right now I'm thinking Nanobox Duo and a Tunze 9004. I'm just concerned the Duo might not be quite bright enough for stuff on the sand, and the 9004 might not pull enough for a full fish load. Dave has some really cool Wide Quad prototypes that would be able to cook the whole tank, or I could go with a T5 hybrid, but either one is much more expensive, and way more light than I would need.

That blueberry millie..... OMG!

Thanks, it's one of my favorite pieces. I'm really looking forward to growing it out.

Love the frag pics, these would do well in a larger tank. :)

Thanks, Mark! I've always planned to move into a larger tank when my frags grow out anyway. I'll probably repurpose the 10g tank to be a more specialized tank, maybe with more softies and less rock, with some room on the sides for frag growouts.

• Like 1

This is all interesting! My acans have been going orange as well for quite a bit. Hearing this and teeny, I'm going to switch to bluer light.

• Like 2