SaltCritters.com

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

Slowtwitch

Yeah, I'm really being pulled that way. The only thing I'm struggling with is getting adequate lighting and skimming for a 40g tank without a sump. I'd like to have more than enough lighting and more than enough skimming, and that means lighting that's strong enough for a much bigger tank, and skimmers that won't fit in the back chamber.

Right now I'm thinking Nanobox Duo and a Tunze 9004. I'm just concerned the Duo might not be quite bright enough for stuff on the sand, and the 9004 might not pull enough for a full fish load.

I have a 9004 on my 30. While it does skim ok, I've never been able to dial it in the way I want it. Skim is very wet (think dark tea) I feel that I'll upgrade at some point to something with better adjustability.
  • Like 1

This is all interesting! My acans have been going orange as well for quite a bit. Hearing this and teeny, I'm going to switch to bluer light.

Let me know how it works!

Nice detail on your sps!

Thanks! The frags are all so little all I can do is shoot macros :lol:

New photos and everything else looks great! I like the frog in a blender :)

The FiB is one of my favorites now. I didn't think it was going to turn out to be anything very pretty but I've been pleasantly surprised :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm really being pulled that way. The only thing I'm struggling with is getting adequate lighting and skimming for a 40g tank without a sump. I'd like to have more than enough lighting and more than enough skimming, and that means lighting that's strong enough for a much bigger tank, and skimmers that won't fit in the back chamber.

Right now I'm thinking Nanobox Duo and a Tunze 9004. I'm just concerned the Duo might not be quite bright enough for stuff on the sand, and the 9004 might not pull enough for a full fish load. Dave has some really cool Wide Quad prototypes that would be able to cook the whole tank, or I could go with a T5 hybrid, but either one is much more expensive, and way more light than I would need.

nothing beats a sump when it comes to having space for oversized skimmer, refugium, etc...but at least the IM tanks have enough space in the back for reactor, skimmer, and even some chaeto.

• Like 1

I have a 9004 on my 30. While it does skim ok, I've never been able to dial it in the way I want it. Skim is very wet (think dark tea) I feel that I'll upgrade at some point to something with better adjustability.

That's good to know. I have the IM Desktop Ghost in this tank (the Fusion 10) and I've never really been able to dial it in the way I'd like it to work. Have you looked at other options yet? I haven't found much else that fits that doesn't seem to have smaller capacity.

nothing beats a sump when it comes to having space for oversized skimmer, refugium, etc...but at least the IM tanks have enough space in the back for reactor, skimmer, and even some chaeto.

Yep, I think it's workable. I'm just hoping to avoid buying six different skimmers trying to find the only one that works well :D

Slowtwitch

That's good to know. I have the IM Desktop Ghost in this tank (the Fusion 10) and I've never really been able to dial it in the way I'd like it to work. Have you looked at other options yet? I haven't found much else that fits that doesn't seem to have smaller capacity.

Not too seriously yet as i'm not quite ready to upgrade. Hoping the forum will chime in when the time comes.
  • Like 1
Elizabeth94

What about the AquaMaxx HOB-1? I absolutely love mine. Although it is a bit big, the thing does some serious work. It seems like it is built reallt well, and the blue color kinda makes it look good ;)

• Like 2

What about the AquaMaxx HOB-1? I absolutely love mine. Although it is a bit big, the thing does some serious work. It seems like it is built reallt well, and the blue color kinda makes it look good ;)

I really thought about it, and if I had room for it, I might do it. But there's going to be about two inches of clearance between the back of the tank and the wall, so it won't work for me :(

Plus it just bothers my anal personality to put a HOB skimmer on the back of a tank with a built in skimmer chamber :lol:

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

It will deff fit, I have mine on a fusion 10. But I understand the thought of it being an eye sore. My tank is in my room, so im the only one enjoying my tank. If company came over, they would certainly notice it.

• Like 1

Hi. New forum lurker here.

Really liking your tanks, and my deepest condolences regarding the crash of your beautiful 4G.

I just wanted to chime in regarding the Tunze skimmer and tune-ability. The 9001/9004 should (soon) be available in an adjustable DC versions (9001.001 and 9004.001)

I haven't seen it on the BRS or MD sites, but it is in the Tunze product catalog. (Just google 9004.001)

It has also started to pop up on some European webshops with about a 30% premium over the AC versions:

http://www.aquariumonline.ch/epages/174428.sf/de_CH/?ObjectPath=/Shops/174428/Products/TunzeComlineDocSkimmer9004

Probably old news, but wanted to mention it just in case.

• Like 2

Get a sump. Doo eeet! ;)

I know it would be better :)

But it seems like so much work for a relatively small tank :(

It will deff fit, I have mine on a fusion 10. But I understand the thought of it being an eye sore. My tank is in my room, so im the only one enjoying my tank. If company came over, they would certainly notice it.

Mine will be in the family room where we spend all our time. So looks and noise matter with this one. It's too bad because the Aquamax seems like a really good "small" skimmer.

Hi. New forum lurker here.

Really liking your tanks, and my deepest condolences regarding the crash of your beautiful 4G.

I just wanted to chime in regarding the Tunze skimmer and tune-ability. The 9001/9004 should (soon) be available in an adjustable DC versions (9001.001 and 9004.001)

I haven't seen it on the BRS or MD sites, but it is in the Tunze product catalog. (Just google 9004.001)

It has also started to pop up on some European webshops with about a 30% premium over the AC versions:

http://www.aquariumonline.ch/epages/174428.sf/de_CH/?ObjectPath=/Shops/174428/Products/TunzeComlineDocSkimmer9004

Probably old news, but wanted to mention it just in case.

Thanks for delurking :)

And thanks for letting me know about the upcoming DC version, that looks really interesting!

I took a close look at the acro frags tonight and noticed some are receding from the base up. Some of it may be due to stress from introducing all the rocks and frags from the crashed 4g tank, but I also noticed a lot of algae growing around the base of the frag plugs.

I cleaned up all the algae and even used a tiny bit of peroxide on the base of the frag plugs, where there's algae but not acro growth. Hopefully they'll recover.

The real problem turned out to be the blueberry mille colony. It was also receding from the base up. Turns out there was a lot of organic material trapped in the nooks and crannies between the superglue and the base of the skeleton. I think this was causing all the problems. I carefully cut away all the affected material, kind of like cleaning out an infected wound. I don't know if this will reverse the problem, but without doing something there was no way it was going to recover.

I've started a thread for the soon-to-be new tank, the upgrade for the crashed 4g tank:

TeenyReef's Not-So-Teeny Tank

I'm going to move this 10g tank to the desk in the study, and put the new tank in place of this one. Here's what things look like with the 10g tank in place. I plan to put an IM Fusion 40 in it's place - it will just barely fit :)

26653082623_cb24ebce03_b.jpg2016-05-26 IM Fusion 10 In Room FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And here's the spot on the desk that's all cleared out, ready for the IM10 to move in. I've decorated with all the beautiful drawings Tamberav made for me on the wrapping paper of my Secret Santa gift last Christmas :wub:

26599720413_38a936f6e1_b.jpg20160523_203648.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Finally, here's another view if the fish tank corner, as seen from the couch. Jasper is photobombing, trying to get me to throw the ball :lol:

27163849841_d5c438c2b1_b.jpg20160521_220141.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 10

Jasper❤

He has a lot of personality ;)

Looking forward to your new build Teeny. Jasper is freakin' adorable btw. :)

Thanks!

• Like 1

I glued up some of the acro frags today. I wasn't too picky about where they went because I expect everything will change after I get the 40g setup done, and they won't have time get encrusted by then. I also glued up a couple zoa frags from the frag tank onto the zoa island. I'll get some detailed shot of the new stuff later.

But in the meantime, I was able to free up enough space to get rid of the big ugly frag rack in the front of the tank. To celebrate I took a couple quick shots - just handheld shots, but good enough to document what the tank looks like. I took these right after the glue-ups, so some of the zoas are still closed up.

2016-05-27 FTS:

27016971110_ae54874655_b.jpg2016-05-27 IM Fusion 10 FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

2016-05-27 Top Down:

27195418482_98af9eaf45_b.jpg2016-05-27 IM Fusion 10 Top Down by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 4

Looking awesome as always! I'm excited to get my lagoon up! Only about 3.5 months lol. Also really excited to see what you do with the 40g lots of water and room to play in.

• Like 1

Looking awesome as always! I'm excited to get my lagoon up! Only about 3.5 months lol. Also really excited to see what you do with the 40g lots of water and room to play in.

• Like 1