inTank Media Baskets

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

Great FTS.

So what do Dinos look like, what is the damage done?

Thanks, Mark. They are thin brown strings that grow up from the edges of the frag plugs and egg crate, with lots of bubbles to hold them up. They go away at night and grow back when the lights come on. If I leave them unchecked they get two or three inches long in a day or two.

As long as they are present, anything that should be open stays closed. As soon as I got rid of them, everything opened back up.

I don't have much algae growing otherwise, and nitrates and phosphates are at zero. But I don't know they are at zero because the water is too clean, or if it's because I have too much and something is growing on it and scrubbing it all out.

Looks like things are returning to glory! Cant wait to see this in a few months again. :)

-Dave

Thanks, Dave, it's getting there!

I found all 6 and a sexy shrimp!!

You win the Where's Waldo award!

26099395533_447495786d_q.jpg

I forgot to post about it, but my lfs just happened to have two little sexy shrimp a few weeks ago. Since my original two disappeared sometime during all the tank troubles, I picked these up as replacements.

• Like 3
Spiderguardnano

I just finished battling Dino's still little traces of it but no where what it looked like when it first started I've been transferring corals to a new tank with a freshwater dip in between so far so good

Also used microbacter 7 for 3 weeks straight no water changes as I heard wc makes Dino's even stronger

• Like 1

I just finished battling Dino's still little traces of it but no where what it looked like when it first started I've been transferring corals to a new tank with a freshwater dip in between so far so good

Also used microbacter 7 for 3 weeks straight no water changes as I heard wc makes Dino's even stronger

That's good news that you've been able to get rid of most of them!

Does a FW dip kill dinos?

I've been using microbacter heavily in the frag tank for the same reason. I haven't completely eliminated water changes with new saltwater, but I have been alternating between new salt water and old saltwater from one of the other tanks.

Yes, I'm envious of your rics! They are the easiest corals to keep, yet the ones in my tank decided to expel its zooanthellae and now they are white! :( Your tank is looking great again!

I had the same problem with a lot of my old rics, they turned into ghost rics and never got their color back. Eventually all but one died. I hope yours recover better than mine did!

OK, I finally got an FTS of the tank for the first time in months. Things still aren't quite as healthy and colorful as in the last FTS, but the tank is definitely headed in the right direction again. The next major step is to get some of the SPS frags glued up in place of the ones that are no more.

Then I need to figure out how to get the acans to be more colorful. The beautiful colors of the ASD frags have already faded quite a bit, and everything is looking more and more red and brown, with no oranges and blues. I'm hoping that once I finally get all the nutrients where they need to be, both the acros and the acans will color up more.

26593465212_d844a47f73_b.jpg2016-04-27 IM10 FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Looks wonderful :wub:.

I just realized we have the same fish except you have a Squidward and I have a firefish :D.

• Like 1

Those acans in the pic came from AquaSD. He has an insane amount of acans in store. The ASD R2R sale is fantastic. Seen all in person and the pics definitely represent what you get. No photoshop shenanigans.

Thanks! Fingers crossed they don't recede like the last ones :)

^ This! Definitely the best online purchase I've ever made.

Um, yeah, hardware too. Which is kind of embarrassing for a 4g tank and a 10g tank :blush:

Thanks! I'm definitely right on the edge, though. There's no way I'd consider adding anything else that would increase the bioload, and it's only under control through frequently blowing off the rocks, stirring up the sand, and using NoPox.

I love the BRS dosers, since I already have an Apex to control them. I don't think I'd like them if I had to hook them up to a lamp timer. But with the Apex I think they're better than pretty much anything else for what I need them for.

OMG between both of you and Spectra (AKA the pot), now I want to buy stuff from ASD's live sale this weekend! gahhhh. I have issues.

OK, I finally got an FTS of the tank for the first time in months. Things still aren't quite as healthy and colorful as in the last FTS, but the tank is definitely headed in the right direction again. The next major step is to get some of the SPS frags glued up in place of the ones that are no more.

Then I need to figure out how to get the acans to be more colorful. The beautiful colors of the ASD frags have already faded quite a bit, and everything is looking more and more red and brown, with no oranges and blues. I'm hoping that once I finally get all the nutrients where they need to be, both the acros and the acans will color up more.

26593465212_d844a47f73_b.jpg2016-04-27 IM10 FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I spotted all 6!!! That's cool! Great shot as usual. Every time I see this tank, I want to start an IM10. You're killing my MTS resolve.

• Like 1

Only the ones that it touches directly. The ones inside the corals are protected, unfortunately.

Thanks, Ben, that's good to know, because...

Arrgh, I just spotted dinos in the 4g tank. Looks like they came over from the frag tank with one of the frags I glued.

Lights are off. Further dino elimination research has commenced.

At least the 10g tank is clean, I haven't moved any corals into this tank since before the dinos appeared in the frag tank.

Looks wonderful :wub:.

I just realized we have the same fish except you have a Squidward and I have a firefish :D.

I never thought of that! How funny, we're like fish twins :)

OMG between both of you and Spectra (AKA the pot), now I want to buy stuff from ASD's live sale this weekend! gahhhh. I have issues.

I spotted all 6!!! That's cool! Great shot as usual. Every time I see this tank, I want to start an IM10. You're killing my MTS resolve.

All I can say is, "DO IT!!!", you won't be sorry :D

• Like 3

Thanks, Ben, that's good to know, because...

Arrgh, I just spotted dinos in the 4g tank. Looks like they came over from the frag tank with one of the frags I glued.

Lights are off. Further dino elimination research has commenced.

At least the 10g tank is clean, I haven't moved any corals into this tank since before the dinos appeared in the frag tank.

I never thought of that! How funny, we're like fish twins :)

All I can say is, "DO IT!!!", you won't be sorry :D

Enabler!

Are you sure they're dinos?

• Like 1

Enabler!

Are you sure they're dinos?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. They look like the pictures of early stage dinos, they go away at night and come back during the day, and keeping low parameters doesn't seem to keep them in check like it does for algae.

I'd post a picture but the lights are out and there's nothing visible right now if I turn on the lights.

• Like 1

I had the same problem with a lot of my old rics, they turned into ghost rics and never got their color back. Eventually all but one died. I hope yours recover better than mine did!

Do you know why it happened? Too much light? Or just stressed for some reason?

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

So, I didn't see this on the front page where your equipment list is.. Sorry for the potentially repetitive question..

Are you running a doser, or dosing by hand?

I noticed that my alk is a bit lower than I want it to be, and have been dosing calcium every few days. Not large amounts, but sometimes I miss a dose and I know it isn't good for stability.

• Like 1

Do you know why it happened? Too much light? Or just stressed for some reason?

I never figured it out. I don't think it was too much light, because it started with one or two, progressed slowly until the whole rick was white, and then "infected" the ones next to them. You could tell it was something that was progressing by working it's way through the ric itself. Plus putting them in the shade didn't help even after several weeks.

Hopefully yours are just from too much light. It may take weeks or even months to recover, but they will recover eventually if that's what it is.

So, I didn't see this on the front page where your equipment list is.. Sorry for the potentially repetitive question..

Are you running a doser, or dosing by hand?

I noticed that my alk is a bit lower than I want it to be, and have been dosing calcium every few days. Not large amounts, but sometimes I miss a dose and I know it isn't good for stability.

I'm running a pair of BRS dosers controlled by the Apex. The BRS dosers are great - they're pretty cheap, especially if you get them on sale, and I can control them very easily and precisely with the Apex.

When you dose, even by hand, try to dose both calc and alk in equal amounts, calc during the day and alk in the evening. Or wait at least ten or fifteen minutes between them if you can only do it once a day. By dosing the same amount, you make sure the chemistry stays in balance, because the dosing of one affects the amount of the other in the tank, over several days.

• Like 3

I got one of those cheap GoPro knockoffs from Amazon for $38. Score! :happydance:

This is my first underwater video. I was just trying out the camera to see how it worked underwater. I wasn't trying to make a big production out of it, but I think it turned out surprising well given that I spent less than two minutes making it :D

• Like 6
Elizabeth94

Came out very good teeny!

Ill have to look into those BRS dosers. With the growth of my sps and lps, my alk and cal are def being used up. I just found four more heads on one of my acans, so it is really busy growing.

• Like 1

i notice your zoas have fairly long stalks which indicates they are not getting enough light but the nanobox should be plenty of light. i wonder what else is causing that...

I think they could stand to get a little more light. I've been slowly increasing the level of the Nanobox over the last couple months, and it's close to 100% now, but it's only been at that level for a couple weeks. PAR at the surface is over 450, but it's about 270 at the top of the rocks, and only about 120 on the sand bed.

Having said that, I've noticed the polyp size on the big palys near the front has almost doubled in the last couple weeks. And some of my palys always grow long stalks even when I've had them under 200+ PAR. So who knows? :huh:

Came out very good teeny!

Ill have to look into those BRS dosers. With the growth of my sps and lps, my alk and cal are def being used up. I just found four more heads on one of my acans, so it is really busy growing.

Yep, I pretty much knew it was time when I realized that I couldn't miss even one daily dose because the alk would drop from 8 to 7 in two days. And it only gets worse as the SPS get bigger. I think you'd be happy with the BRS dosers as long as you have a controller. Otherwise the Jebao DP-4 from Fishstreet is really cheap and works fine. It just pumps too fast for really small tanks.

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

Hm.. No controller here. I was thinking about the Bubble Magnus T01. I think the min dose is 1ml, and it will time the alk and cal to be on different schedules.

I think you'd be happy with the BRS dosers as long as you have a controller. Otherwise the Jebao DP-4 from Fishstreet is really cheap and works fine. It just pumps too fast for really small tanks.

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

A little throwback here.. I wanted to see how long it has been since you first added green cap to your tank (because it really is stunning).. Crazy how much it has changed. I always think it is neat to see how a tank progressed. So here is your throwback :happy:

Updated FTS now that everything is glued in place. I'm still working on gradually increasing the lights to improve the color on the corals, but it's finally starting to look like a coral reef :)

15718655233_38a1c725e9_b.jpgIM10 FTS - 01/19/2015 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

\

• Like 2

Hm.. No controller here. I was thinking about the Bubble Magnus T01. I think the min dose is 1ml, and it will time the alk and cal to be on different schedules.

Lesson learned for me on the Jebao, which also has minimum dose of 1ml, is that it's too big a dose. You want to give several doses a day so that things stay even, and you want to be able to adjust the amount of the dose by fractions of a milliliter so that you can get just the right daily amount to keep the levels stable.

With my Jebao, usually 1ml, once a day, was not enough, but 1ml, twice a day, was too much. So I ended up diluting the dosing solution so that I wasn't putting as much in the tank per ml, but even then it's really tricky to get just the right amount set.

The BRS doser doses 1.1 ml in one minute (the Jebao is 1 ml in a second). So I can do things like dose for 25 seconds, six times a day, and change it to 28 seconds if I need to bump it up just a bit.

And of course as the corals grow, they consume more, so I have to adjust the dosage almost every week by a tiny amount. I can't do that with the DP-4, I just have to turn it off for a night if things get to high, or manually dose extra if it gets too low.

A little throwback here.. I wanted to see how long it has been since you first added green cap to your tank (because it really is stunning).. Crazy how much it has changed. I always think it is neat to see how a tank progressed. So here is your throwback :happy:

Oh my, things have changed a lot! :eek:

Thanks for posting this :)

• Like 2