Top Shelf Aquatics

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

One of my scores......AcanLordBeautifulPack-RetailPrice200SALE

This is the same pack I got! $75 for all this is a great deal :)

acans are awesome. easy coral, nice feeding response, great colors, grow relatively fast. i may have to pick up some more now...

Yes, you definitely need to do this :D

Between you both you've got everyone drooling like Homer.

Ha! I've been in mourning since all my old acans died almost overnight a few months ago. I never did figure out what went wrong, but the whole tank was not LPS friendly for about a month or so. I'm so glad the new acans are doing well.

$150 eh? The most I've ever spent online for corals was like 120 (shipping included).

I can't say the same :blush:

Omg I want

I know what you mean - it's so tempting when I see one like that. Maybe someday when I have a bigger tank.

• Like 4
Nano sapiens

Ha! I've been in mourning since all my old acans died almost overnight a few months ago. I never did figure out what went wrong, but the whole tank was not LPS friendly for about a month or so.

Ugh, same here when I lost my three colonies. I was hoping they might resurrect, but no dice.

Good luck with all the beautiful new Acans!

• Like 1
reefernanoman

This is the same pack I got! $75 for all this is a great deal :)

Yes, you definitely need to do this :D

Ha! I've been in mourning since all my old acans died almost overnight a few months ago. I never did figure out what went wrong, but the whole tank was not LPS friendly for about a month or so. I'm so glad the new acans are doing well.

I can't say the same :blush:

I know what you mean - it's so tempting when I see one like that. Maybe someday when I have a bigger tank.

Now when it comes to hardware, well that goes into the thousands (at least $2k or more easily!). All those Acans for $75? where did you buy them?????? Cultivated Reef I believe right?

• Like 1

I'm always impressed with the bioload in this tank. Inspires me to get another fish! (been thinking about it for a long time but still can't decide what.) Your tank is looking better than ever!

I seem to remember you use BRS dosers, is that right? Any complaints? I just hooked mine up and once I get back from my work trip I'm going to start dialing them in.

• Like 1

Now when it comes to hardware, well that goes into the thousands (at least $2k or more easily!). All those Acans for $75? where did you buy them?????? Cultivated Reef I believe right?

Those acans in the pic came from AquaSD. He has an insane amount of acans in store. The ASD R2R sale is fantastic. Seen all in person and the pics definitely represent what you get. No photoshop shenanigans.

• Like 3

Ugh, same here when I lost my three colonies. I was hoping they might resurrect, but no dice.

Good luck with all the beautiful new Acans!

Thanks! Fingers crossed they don't recede like the last ones :)

Those acans in the pic came from AquaSD. He has an insane amount of acans in store. The ASD R2R sale is fantastic. Seen all in person and the pics definitely represent what you get. No photoshop shenanigans.

^ This! Definitely the best online purchase I've ever made.

Um, yeah, hardware too. Which is kind of embarrassing for a 4g tank and a 10g tank :blush:

I'm always impressed with the bioload in this tank. Inspires me to get another fish! (been thinking about it for a long time but still can't decide what.) Your tank is looking better than ever!

I seem to remember you use BRS dosers, is that right? Any complaints? I just hooked mine up and once I get back from my work trip I'm going to start dialing them in.

Thanks! I'm definitely right on the edge, though. There's no way I'd consider adding anything else that would increase the bioload, and it's only under control through frequently blowing off the rocks, stirring up the sand, and using NoPox.

I love the BRS dosers, since I already have an Apex to control them. I don't think I'd like them if I had to hook them up to a lamp timer. But with the Apex I think they're better than pretty much anything else for what I need them for.

• Like 4

Teeny - you have a booster for your RODI, yeah? Do you mind posting or sending me over some pics? I really need to get one, and Nick will install it for me, but I don't want to get the wrong thing or miss pieces so he doesn't have what he needs. Thanks!

• Like 1

Teeny - you have a booster for your RODI, yeah? Do you mind posting or sending me over some pics? I really need to get one, and Nick will install it for me, but I don't want to get the wrong thing or miss pieces so he doesn't have what he needs. Thanks!

Sure! I have the Booster Buddie, got it online.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life-Booster-Reverse-Osmosis/dp/B00OMBPNHI

You don't really need any parts beyond what you already have if you've got your RODI plumbed up already. Otherwise you'll need a cutoff valve so that you can turn off the water flow to the booster. Let me know what you've got in place already and I'll tell you what else you need.

• Like 1

I tried a couple quick and dirty FTS shots today, and that's exactly how they turned out :(

I'll try again tomorrow.

In the meantime, here are some purely gratuitous shots of a couple of the frags on the frag rack.

ASD Acro:

26605071301_d84f684f2d_b.jpgASD Acro by TeenyReef, on Flickr

This is the green hystrix birdsnest I got some time ago and almost killed when the frag tank went bad. He's made a nice recovery - I love the colors.

26605070231_b4ef9a733f_b.jpgGreen Hystrix Birdsnest by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 6

In other news, I'm happy to report that the frag tank seems to have worked through the recent round of algae or dinos or whatever it was. I kept up with blowing things off and changing the filter floss daily, increased the dosage of Microbacter 7 to 1 ml per day, and did a weekly 25% water change with new saltwater, and a second weekly change with old water from one of the other two tanks. I also stopped dosing any coral food or amino acids for a couple weeks.

Then I turned the lights way down for three or four days. The lights have been back on for four days now and there's no sign of anything bad returning. And even more importantly, all the frags have opened back up and seem to be doing well again, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I was really worried that it might have been dinos because they'd go away at night and reappear during the day, but hopefully they weren't the kind that some folks have had that just won't go away no matter what.

Here's a cell phone shot of what it looks like now, although the white balance is off. Hopefully I can start moving some of the frags from the other two tanks back in here, but not until I'm sure it's stable and won't end up turning everything brown again.

26605399171_59962e4fe4_b.jpgFrag Tank Frags by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 7
Spiderguardnano

Well got the email...................its all there still :o

One thing I have realized from asd auctions is you don't have nothing to worry about everything thing they post they have like 5-10 of each pieces trust me I've seen it and go there daily there's rolls and roll of the same piece

• Like 1

Hi. Your tanks are beautiful!

This thread made me purchase an IM 10, and I love how it sits on my desk!

I'm now planning & purchasing the rest of the stuff.

Already ordered a inTank basket and a custom top from tank-toppers. A nanobox will be ordered as soon as bank account reinflates...

As far as protein skimmers go, I'm struggling. There just aren't many options, and space is valuable.

The Ghost skimmer seemed to be the winner.

Then I thought of the PIco skimmer running well in your 4G. Would you consider a MAME skimmer for the 10G instead of the Ghost, based on your experience with both types of skimmers? The MAME would leave me space for the minimax reactor as well in the middle chamber. This in turn leaves me more options in the media baskets (bigger refugium??).

Sorry for dilluting your thread with my research, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

brgds Kaj

• Like 2

Thanks, Kaj! Check in over at the IM10 club thread if you haven't already done so, there's lot of discussion there about skimmers and other IM-10 specific issues.

I agree, as far as I've been able to find out, the Ghost is the only one that fits other than the air powered skimmers. I can't remember whether anyone has tried to use the mame skimmer in the IM10 but I think it would work. Air powered skimmers in general are a bit of a pain, though, since you have to use a fairly powerful (and expensive) air pump, and you have to replace the air stone every month or two.

I've never had a reactor in my tank - I just hang bags of carbon and GFO in the InTank basket chambers and that seems to work fine.

One thing I have realized from asd auctions is you don't have nothing to worry about everything thing they post they have like 5-10 of each pieces trust me I've seen it and go there daily there's rolls and roll of the same piece

Yep, I agree. They really took care of me when I ordered, and even though the combo pack wasn't actually the same corals they took a picture of, the ones I got looked exactly the same.

The frag tank looks spic n span clean now! Good job persevering and sticking with it til you beat whatever was in there.

Thanks, Dawn. Fingers crossed that the frag tank stays clean :)

Looking forward to the FTS!

Me too :D

• Like 1

Well I knew I shouldn't have reported success in the frag tank yet. The dinos started coming back today. Time to do an extra water change and maybe turn the lights off again :(

Well damn it again!

Inorite? If I didn't have so many frags I'd just break it down. As it is, I'm starting to think my first tank upgrade is actually going to be the frag tank. Is it wrong that I'm wishing for a sump and a skimmer on the frag tank, when neither of my display tanks have sumps? :rolleyes:

After blowing off the little bits of dinos tonight, I got a better FTS with the good camera. It looks pretty good as long as the dinos aren't making everything close up!

26659551666_e2704f42b1_b.jpg2016-04-27 Evolve 4 Frag Tank FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 1

OK, I finally got an FTS of the tank for the first time in months. Things still aren't quite as healthy and colorful as in the last FTS, but the tank is definitely headed in the right direction again. The next major step is to get some of the SPS frags glued up in place of the ones that are no more.

Then I need to figure out how to get the acans to be more colorful. The beautiful colors of the ASD frags have already faded quite a bit, and everything is looking more and more red and brown, with no oranges and blues. I'm hoping that once I finally get all the nutrients where they need to be, both the acros and the acans will color up more.

26593465212_d844a47f73_b.jpg2016-04-27 IM10 FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 8

10/10 as per usual omgomgomg

Thanks, Harry! Someday I will have awesome acros like yours, but for now I'm just happy I'm not killing them off in wholesale lot any more :P

For those that like to play Where's Waldo, all six fish are in the new FTS. Squidward cracks me up in this FTS, here's a cropped view so you can see his expression better :)

26620780761_0796731895_b.jpgSquidward by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 4