Pod Your Reef

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

Hey teeny I have a quick question. What tide do you have? And what is the difference with the 2/4/5 channel dimming? Is that like sunrise/sunset only controlling whites or blues?

Hey teeny I have a quick question. What tide do you have? And what is the difference with the 2/4/5 channel dimming? Is that like sunrise/sunset only controlling whites or blues?

I've got the Mini Tide with four channel control. Four channels lets me control the whites/limes, violet, royal blue, and blue/cyan separately instead of putting them all together in just two channels. The fifth channel is if you have a moonlight.

Looking good teeny! I'd be pulling my hair out if that RFA was mine lol

That's pretty much what I've been doing!

The green RFA seems to be some kind of rock star, seems like he won't be happy until he's up front, in the center, and on top :rolleyes:

I don't mind him stinging the green caps since they are big and can handle it, but he's started creeping up on the purple bonsai, and I've lost way too many acros to let him take another one.

So I removed the big green cap frag that was sitting loose on top of the main green cap. Of course everything is white underneath, but it should only take a couple weeks to color back up. This way the RFA doesn't have a shelf to sit on right next to the purple bonsai. Oops, I just realized that there's actually another smaller frag sitting on top still.

Sorry everything's a little purple, I forgot to put the lights in photo mode when I took these shots.

25688799246_58a8f99a75_b.jpgIM10 Top Down Green Caps by TeenyReef, on Flickr

So, how did my RFN get into your tank LOL Mine is those colours. Your monties really recovered.

• Like 1

I love the many shades of purple and green. Really really pretty. It wasn't originally planned like that was it?

Thanks! I can't take credit for planning it that way, though. I just picked some with colors I liked and got lucky :blush:

So, how did my RFN get into your tank LOL Mine is those colours. Your monties really recovered.

You can have mine :D

He's been stinging the purple bonsai recently. The whole left hand branch is dying now. Grrr :furious:

Beautiful rics! Also, the idaho grape monti looks like it's dancing with your green monti. I tried rics before, but they just got really small and melted away. I would have thought that mushrooms were tougher than that. I have some mushrooms that I keep trying to kill, and they always come back for more! Go figure.

Thanks! I'm really happy with them now. I had a lot of trouble with them melting away when I first started keeping them, but once I got the tank conditions right, and figure out how to place them where they're happy, they've always done well.

I have some red discoma mushrooms in the 4g tank that are literally unkillable. I can pull them out with forceps, melt them with boiling water, and they always come back within a couple months. Zombie shrooms :lol:

This is a closeup of a small green cap frag taken with my cell phone. It's about an inch across. I'm really impressed with how well this cell phone camera does, especially with macro shots.

25294284103_d1f461edd4_b.jpgGreen Monticap Frag by TeenyReef, on Flickr

In other news, I've always had lots of little bristle worms in all my tanks, and I'm happy to have them as part of the clean up crew. But I've been concerned that they've really been proliferating in this tank lately, and I've been thinking about cutting back on feedings to get them under control.

As I was feeding the tank tonight, I saw this guy. He was at least four inches long :blink:

25897096696_1e7fc5efec_b.jpgBristleworm by TeenyReef, on Flickr

He's neither cute nor small. I'm going on a work trip for a week starting tomorrow. The only food going into the tank while I'm gone are just a few pellets for the fish.

• Like 4

Thanks! I can't take credit for planning it that way, though. I just picked some with colors I liked and got lucky :blush:

You can have mine :D

He's been stinging the purple bonsai recently. The whole left hand branch is dying now. Grrr :furious:

As I was feeding the tank tonight, I saw this guy. He was at least four inches long :blink:

25897096696_1e7fc5efec_b.jpgBristleworm by TeenyReef, on Flickr

He's neither cute nor small. I'm going on a work trip for a week starting tomorrow. The only food going into the tank while I'm gone are just a few pellets for the fish.

I have loads that size. if you accidentally grab one, dip your finger in some vinegar. the bristles will dissolve in seconds.

I don't need another RFA at the moment my girl has taken prime realestate for her home.

bristle worms freak me out...

The itty-bitty ones are kinda cute. This one is not cute :(

Hey Teeny, I'm sure you have a list somewhere I missed but what fish do you have in here? Thanks!

I might have it on the first page, but there are two clowns, two green banded gobies, a pink streaked wrasse, and a tail spot blenny.
  • Like 1

I might have it on the first page, but there are two clowns, two green banded gobies, a pink streaked wrasse, and a tail spot blenny.

Thanks! Looking for some new fish to add! Thinking of a six line and a small goby of some sort!
  • Like 1

the tank is looking wicked, i love the monti! Wish I could find something like that up here... Can't quite find a scrolling monti that vibrant green or that toxic purple lol!

• Like 2

Hey I found a pink streaked wrasse for my tank! It's a cool little fish, becoming my fave! It's still very shy though, would hide if I get too close to the tank. Does yours do the same?

• Like 1

Whew, I'm back from my whirlwind trip to San Diego and Hawaii. All the tanks did well, and my wife got the fish sitter badge of honor for doing a great job while I was gone. Other than some algae on the glass everything looked fine after a quick cleanup.

I have lots of catching up on N-R to do :)

the tank is looking wicked, i love the monti! Wish I could find something like that up here... Can't quite find a scrolling monti that vibrant green or that toxic purple lol!

Thanks! I frag the green monti all the time, and I'll probably put some frags up for sale later this week :)

Hey I found a pink streaked wrasse for my tank! It's a cool little fish, becoming my fave! It's still very shy though, would hide if I get too close to the tank. Does yours do the same?

Awesome! They are great little fish for a small tank. Mine was very shy but has gotten a little bolder now that he's grown some. But he still usually hides when he sees me come to the tank. But if I wait a minute he comes back out. He likes to do laps around the rocks :P

• Like 5

So this happened tonight. The RFA decided that it didn't like it's spot right in the middle of my green cap. And I guess since it was done stinging the purple bonsai, it needed to move over and give some of the other (heretofore unstung) corals some love. :blink:

25454851693_55ef12a7c8_b.jpgRFA on the move again by TeenyReef, on Flickr

So I got mad and decided it was time for it to go :furious:

I used my spare powerhead like a hose to squirt a strong stream of water right on the RFA's foot. It slowly moved down, away from the flow. I kept chasing it, and eventually it must have gotten exhausted, because more and more of the foot let go until finally it floated free. I put it in a spare plastic box floating in the tank until I decide what to do with it. I'll probably take it back to the LFS unless somebody wants it.

The only real problem I had was when it floated free, I got so excited about grabbing it that I forgot where I was pointing the power head, and I blew gravel all over the tank. But at least I didn't squirt water out of the tank :rolleyes:

25964880342_38dc4e3973_b.jpgRFA Captured by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 5

Gotta do what you gotta do! Ever since I made the hair pulling comment my maxi has been moving under rocks and popping up on the top of them in random spots. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Good, get that anemone out of there. :D

This remind me of the night I stayed up until midnight to catch y BTA who was climbing up my rocks. Finally had enough of the foot loose that I could coax him to let go. I love anemones but when they decide to move....

• Like 2

Yep, this is why I no longer have any type of anemone. They always move on me and it's always a hassle.

They are best in a species specific tank, IMO.

I know I say it every time but those merlettis :wub:. Still look fabulous! I'm glad they weren't attacked :).

• Like 2

I want to get my RFA out of my tank, since she is in prime real estate. Not sure HOW I can convince her ot move as she has her foot well embedded in a rock.